CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

42 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Edmonton saying 250 million in renos needed. McMahon in dire need of gas and a match...

Doesn’t sound like the new owner is willing to kick in in Edmonton though. Should atleast match dollar for dollar with govt money. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Doesn’t sound like the new owner is willing to kick in in Edmonton though. Should atleast match dollar for dollar with govt money. 

The funny thing about the ownership in Calgary with football. Murray Edwards the Stamps owner refuses to put a penny on a new stadium because it's owned by the U of C. Run by a non profit Corp called the McMahon Stadium Society. So, when it comes to football he won't spend a cent.

The new arena for the Flames is not owned by him either. It's owned by the City of Calgary. He will own all parking, concessions, all merch sold & revenue from all other concerts there. In return, he'll provide maintenance for the new building over the life of the 30 year lease.

Edwards won't do that for McMahon Stadium. I guess there are no revenue streams available from that old dump to make it worthwhile. Edwards could get the ball rolling on a new stadium away from the U of C where he could be the sole owner or work out a deal similar to that of the new Flames arena. He doesn't want that, either. You wonder why he bought the team in the first place. I think he should sell to someone who is interested in making the Stamps a much better organization. Probably wants $30 million.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

17 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Ed Tait writes some good stories but it would be cool if he could also provide tidbits like Vanstone does for the Riders.

As an example:

Bombers have had a Ralph (Dieter) Brock and a Brock Ralph... I find that much more interesting

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The funny thing about the ownership in Calgary with football. Murray Edwards the Stamps owner refuses to put a penny on a new stadium because it's owned by the U of C. Run by a non profit Corp called the McMahon Stadium Society. So, when it comes to football he won't spend a cent.

The new arena for the Flames is not owned by him either. It's owned by the City of Calgary. He will own all parking, concessions, all merch sold & revenue from all other concerts there. In return, he'll provide maintenance for the new building over the life of the 30 year lease.

Edwards won't do that for McMahon Stadium. I guess there are no revenue streams available from that old dump to make it worthwhile. Edwards could get the ball rolling on a new stadium away from the U of C where he could be the sole owner or work out a deal similar to that of the new Flames arena. He doesn't want that, either. You wonder why he bought the team in the first place. I think he should sell to someone who is interested in making the Stamps a much better organization. Probably wants $30 million.

Sounds like a real miser trying to make a buck off sports. Does he pay a reasonable lease fee for the stadium and arena? 

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

Edmonton saying 250 million in renos needed. McMahon in dire need of gas and a match...

If that's the number in Edmonton and I'm the CFL team I'm saying build us a new stadium.

That stadium SUCKS for football as a fan.  You'll never get the atmosphere of Winnipeg or Regina...**** even Hamilton in there unless they are demolishing it and rebuilding it completely to put proper stands in for football.

54 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Sounds like a real miser trying to make a buck off sports. Does he pay a reasonable lease fee for the stadium and arena? 

Pay. That's a good one! He is the epitome of "oh I didn't get rich by writing a lot of cheques"

The arena deal is absolutely horrendous for calgary but Danielle Smith needed an election carrot to dangle. The previous deal was much better but the flames turfed it so they didn't have to pay for cost over runs.

34 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yah the track around Commonwealth really takes the fans away from the action. I don't HATE Commonwealth but there's little to no atmosphere...

Do they still use the track? Would it be viable to just build a mini stand and move seating closer to the side lines? 

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Pay. That's a good one! He is the epitome of "oh I didn't get rich by writing a lot of cheques"

The arena deal is absolutely horrendous for calgary but Danielle Smith needed an election carrot to dangle. The previous deal was much better but the flames turfed it so they didn't have to pay for cost over runs.

Yeah sounds like it. Guy seems to have some real sweet heart deals in place. 
 Stadiums and arenas are a real issue in pro sports, especially in leagues where teams are making boat loads of cash. Idk what the answer is, but I expect to see some major fall out still in my life from this unsustainable stadium business. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Swallow this, Edwards became a billionaire selling CDN. oil, moved to Switzerland so he wouldn't have to pay pennies on the dollar in taxes for the wealth he extracted from CDN soil.  

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Swallow this, Edwards became a billionaire selling CDN. oil, moved to Switzerland so he wouldn't have to pay pennies on the dollar in taxes for the wealth he extracted from CDN soil.  

How many more offshore tax havens are Canadian billionaires stashing their cash in.....multi I would suggest....The whole oil industry in Alta. rips off Canadians in that royalties aren't what they chould be...Maybe if we ran the industry like the yanks, they might be able to afford a state of the art stadium in Cal. and Edm....If we can do it minus an oil industry, what the hells the matter with them??

15 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Yeah that sounds about right. Maybe they could sell the team to some one slightly less greasy like Martin shkreli, the sacklers, or a wallstreet banker. 

🤢

3 minutes ago, Stickem said:

How many more offshore tax havens are Canadian billionaires stashing their cash in.....multi I would suggest....The whole oil industry in Alta. rips off Canadians in that royalties aren't what they chould be...Maybe if we ran the industry like the yanks, they might be able to afford a state of the art stadium in Cal. and Edm....If we can do it minus an oil industry, what the hells the matter with them??

No matter the color of party leadership they all love to bend over for billionaires. But that’s the west and probably the whole world In one way or another. Apple has dodged almost 130 billion in taxes to date in the us, and Starbucks is the largest unregulated investment bank in the world who also pays an insanely low amount of taxes. (In the range of 5m, and paid about 10 over 14 years at one point) 

30 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Long time coming. When/if Bonner struggles, how much patience will constipated looking DD give him to work thru it till he looks back to JM?

(My 14 year old mind is taunting me with his last name)

fast. But I could see them trying to make a move too. Masoli maybe. 

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

Not sure if this was mentioned but Maier gets benched ...

If Maier is known as Mayor McCheese at 219 lbs., Bonner has to be considered the Big Arch, packing 234 lbs. on his 6'-0" frame, none of which looks to be from lifting weights.  Better yet, Double Pounder.

Edited by Fatty Liver