CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

11 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I don't get it. They put all this effort into convincing me to get TSN Direct, and then when I finally do, they pull the rug out like this.

What is the point of letting CTV show it, any younger gens that dont have cable wouldnt have been able to tune in and would be pissed...

Average audience age is aging, this move only makes it worse imo

6 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Two weeks ago he was probably in heaven getting Mack back to go alongside Philpott.  Now he has neither.

Both Philpotts just can't stay healthy over an 18 game season. Then up to 3 playoff games & Grey Cup. Physically they can't stand up to the pounding. U Sports is just 6 games plus playoffs.

4 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

I don't get it. They put all this effort into convincing me to get TSN Direct, and then when I finally do, they pull the rug out like this.

What is the point of letting CTV show it, any younger gens that dont have cable wouldnt have been able to tune in and would be pissed...

Average audience age is aging, this move only makes it worse imo

Most people still have regular channels that aren't cable, don't they? Some stream but not the majority. 

15 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Its a futures contract so looks like he's signed for next season. I guess they wanted to lock him down before another team snaps him up.

I didn't even realize that was a thing in the CFL... why would a player sign that?... why not sign now and make some money and get some game tape?

17 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I didn't even realize that was a thing in the CFL... why would a player sign that?... why not sign now and make some money and get some game tape?

He's been sitting around without a contract for how long? If someone was going to pay him this year, they would have. 

4 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Hahaha, all I have heard were complaints about how the CFL was not on a CTV for years. Now it is, and there are still complaints, lol. I feel like people complain for the sake of complaining. Could you not have made a free Bell account and had access online?

Nope. It had to be linked to a paid cable sub. 
 It was just the first game. Some problems will happen. Camera work was good. Getting more wide angle was nice. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I think the best case scenario for them would have been to air it on all platforms. Great to put it on mass-audience CTV, but leave it on one of the many TSNs and online platforms... It's all just a simulcast anyhow. 

Could it be that when CTV purchased the rights, they asked for exclusivity?

Just now, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Could it be that when CTV purchased the rights, they asked for exclusivity?

I think they're operating under the same agreement. Bell (TSN, CTV) probably worked with the CFL to make it happen. But, advertisers probably want it fairly exclusive, so that they know who is watching (and not switching between TSN and CTV). 

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

Yeah, I am not sure what his deal is. If he is ready to practice he could have come up and signed with the current expanded practice rosters.

I have noticed that most futures contracts are signed closer to the end of the season. Both Ontaria and Terry Wilson were signed to futures Oct 30th last year and then officially signed on Nov 20th when the season was over.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I think they're operating under the same agreement. Bell (TSN, CTV) probably worked with the CFL to make it happen. But, advertisers probably want it fairly exclusive, so that they know who is watching (and not switching between TSN and CTV). 

I don't know enough to know enough but I'd be curious to find out what the difference is between CTV and TSN on the weekends, normally. Were the numbers down just because of the switch or are more people watching TSN normally... 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I would think it’s this. Other wise we wouldn’t have gotten it on tsn plus thingy. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I think the best case scenario for them would have been to air it on all platforms. Great to put it on mass-audience CTV, but leave it on one of the many TSNs and online platforms... It's all just a simulcast anyhow. 

100% would’ve been better. I also was expecting ctv to have it airing on their platform with in all the apps they operate. Which would mean you could watch the games on prime, roku channels etc. which would be huge. 

On the topic of Philpot and League wide injuries, booch suggested in another thread that it might be the reduction in full contact practices. 
 I took a Quick Look at a few teams 6 game lists and it is crazy how many high impact starters and star players are badly hurt. 
 This easily seems like the worst season for injuries since the return to play after the missed season. (A good chunk of that was Edmonton and sask coaching being dumb though) 

they looked at kick off injuries and ways to reduce them this last off season. And it still hasn’t seemed like the problem they thought it was (mainly based on the nfl move) but some thing is causing issues this year. 
I for one think boochs point about practice is on point. It may not be the entire cause of the rash of injuries but I do think it’s the biggest single factor. The league might need to adjust the practice rules. Which imo would also make the games better quality and help develop young guys too. 

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I would think it’s this. Other wise we wouldn’t have gotten it on tsn plus thingy. 

100% would’ve been better. I also was expecting ctv to have it airing on their platform with in all the apps they operate. Which would mean you could watch the games on prime, roku channels etc. which would be huge. 

They'd have to repeat the experiment a few times till people tune in figure out what it is and where to to watch it, one offs don't usually work well because most people don't read instructions and are unprepared for change.

I had cut the cord but got a way better deal when I switched providers and added cable. I now pay less for cable and internet than I was paying for just internet previously, and now I maintain far fewer streaming services. I'm saving money. 

But, I don't have time to watch tv, so it's all theoretical. 

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

I had cut the cord but got a way better deal when I switched providers and added cable. I now pay less for cable and internet than I was paying for just internet previously, and now I maintain far fewer streaming services. I'm saving money. 

But, I don't have time to watch tv, so it's all theoretical. 

Who did you sign up with?

5 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Hahaha, all I have heard were complaints about how the CFL was not on a CTV for years. Now it is, and there are still complaints, lol. I feel like people complain for the sake of complaining. Could you not have made a free Bell account and had access online?

In years past yes, it was that simple. Now you can't watch on the CTV app unless you sign in with a paid account.