CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

Cable and tv channels will be gone within 10 - 20 years depending on when they think the subscriber base is low enough / when they age out. 

I have cable but only watch football and hockey on it. 

Everything else is streaming, youtube and podcasts for younger generations.

Already see streaming services starting to buy the rights to professional sports. 

And when this all happens, guaranteed consumers will end up paying more. 

19 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Which was annoying because I have 2 paid Bell accounts (Crave and TSN) but you need some magical other paid account to watch CTV online through their app.

Super irritating.

It’s basically being dicked around into paying for another form of the cable TV I didn’t want.   

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Cable and tv channels will be gone within 10 - 20 years depending on when they think the subscriber base is low enough / when they age out. 

I have cable but only watch football and hockey on it. 

Everything else is streaming, youtube and podcasts for younger generations.

Already see streaming services starting to buy the rights to professional sports. 

And when this all happens, guaranteed consumers will end up paying more. 

I had to give up English Premier League because I could not justify $200/year for it, when I likely won't get to watch often. That's Fubo. 

I had DAZN too, and kept it after the EPL left because they had the NFL and boxing. Now that I have cable and TSN+, I don't need DAZN and they don't show as many fights (included in the price). 

DAZN used to have cricket too, from the Caribbean and they lost that too. 

Streaming was costing me more than cable. 

I still pay for MLB and TSN+ as addons. 

40 minutes ago, Saidin said:

For me I have a wide range of sports that I haven't found a good way to get without cable.

NFL/CFL/NHL/Tennis and any large semi yearly event (Olympics, World Cup etc.)  

Find me an internet package without multiple streaming providers that can get me all of that and I'd drop cable.  

I'm going to go Devil's Advocate here or, rather, this is how you could do it...

Get TSN Direct and it includes TSN+. Gets you all CFL (enhanced games only for CTV broadcasts). Gets you some NFL but it includes NFL RedZone. Gets you part of the Olympics every two years. Gets you World Cup. Gets you at least half(?) the Jets games. Gets you tennis. 

CBC Gem - free - Olympics. I think it also has some weekend. NHL games? But, I'm assuming that. 

Sportsnet - Gets you lots more NHL and the rest of the Olympics. Blue Jays (but you didn't ask). Tennis too. 

That's not too bad, I guess. If you time it right and get discounted annual plans or become diligent in canceling services when you don't need them, you could save a lot of money. But, it's work and paying attention. 

I pay my cable bill and don't think too much. I almost subscribed to DAZN this week because they had a really good deal on but, when I discussed it with my son, he pointed out that the 9ers had 6 primetime games and the rest would be on RedZone. And, since they've cut their free boxing coverage way down, it didn't make financial sense. 

There's a bit of a ponzi scheme going on right now and I expect the bottom to fall out soon enough. When it does, I expect the market to correct, consolidate and end up back in a cable model of bundling everything. Everything old is new again. It's just going be delivered via the Internet. 

Edited by JCon

52 minutes ago, Noeller said:

With all the various steaming services now it's going to come back around full circle and we'll just buy one package where we have everything included but this time we'll pay more than we ever did...

It has already started.

Telus offers a bundled package with Netflix, Disney and Prime.

2 hours ago, blue85gold said:

Which was annoying because I have 2 paid Bell accounts (Crave and TSN) but you need some magical other paid account to watch CTV online through their app.

Or an IPTV provider.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

I had to give up English Premier League because I could not justify $200/year for it, when I likely won't get to watch often. That's Fubo. 

I had DAZN too, and kept it after the EPL left because they had the NFL and boxing. Now that I have cable and TSN+, I don't need DAZN and they don't show as many fights (included in the price). 

DAZN used to have cricket too, from the Caribbean and they lost that too. 

Streaming was costing me more than cable. 

I still pay for MLB and TSN+ as addons. 

IPTV streaming will cost $15-20 per month and includes every pro sport known to man as well as regular network TV, all specialty channels and hundreds of movies.

9 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Or an IPTV provider.

IPTV streaming will cost $15-20 per month and includes every pro sport known to man as well as regular network TV, all specialty channels and hundreds of movies.

I know. But, I'm no longer interested in that. I would download music and shows in the past but I no longer do. Artists need to be paid. I am also well paid, so I can be someone who can support the product. No judgement on those that are just trying to make ends meet. Been there, done that. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

A sports only streaming service for say $50-$70 a month where I got all the NFL/CFL/NHL/NBA etc is the dream.

Qft. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

With all the various steaming services now it's going to come back around full circle and we'll just buy one package where we have everything included but this time we'll pay more than we ever did...

yep. Then it’ll get knocked down and the cycle will repeat. 

I rotate some services. Extra channels on prime when on sale, crave, etc. I used to rotate tsn and sports net but probably won’t again. 
 I actually have cable that isn’t hooked up with a new box. They bundled it with my internet cell and home phone. (Wife insisted) 

I’m going to change shortly, dropped cell, gonna drop cable and home phone, unless I get a really good cable bundle with sports. Honestly I’m tired of figuring out how I’m gonna watch all kinds of sporting events, or finding mediocre streams. 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Or an IPTV provider.

My question is, which is the most reliable and user-friendly IPTV service out there? Also, what is the minimum Internet speed for using IPTV? I am very interested but want to find something worthwhile so I won't have to worry about its quality and reliability.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I know. But, I'm no longer interested in that. I would download music and shows in the past but I no longer do. Artists need to be paid. I am also well paid, so I can be someone who can support the product. No judgement on those that are just trying to make ends meet. Been there, done that. 

For me its about crappy service from Bell-MTS and Shaw (even worse) and being forced to subscribe to packages that contain mostly channels I have no use for. I have no doubt that the future will be all TV in streaming services and paying for each show ala carte. That I would go for.

12 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I tried a bunch of IPTV's. None of them worked well, especially for sports.

I use Kodi + Real-Debrid ($5/Month) for everything that isn't sports. I have a OTA (Over the air) antenna for local stuff & NFL (Free after the OTA Antenna). I get TSN streaming during CFL season. 

That's sane as me...I also run an IPTV provider I used now for 3..4 yrs with Tivimate and can use 3 devices...and not IP address locked for 15 a month...get every cable channel known to man essentially...MLB...NFL..all the sports..ppv...etc...super reliable and most are HD

1 hour ago, canadianjayhawk said:

My question is, which is the most reliable and user-friendly IPTV service out there? Also, what is the minimum Internet speed for using IPTV? I am very interested but want to find something worthwhile so I won't have to worry about its quality and reliability.

Vanquis Media (vanquis-store.com)

Just now, Squeakers and Skippy said:

you need a vpn as well

My biggest issue with streaming sports and not having cable is recording, 2 years of only having Starlink and various streaming services I never found a satisfactory method of recording and rewatching anything. When Valley Fiber hooked us up went full TV package again, dropped some streaming and yes, it is more $$ but the house is happier. 

If I had found an IPTV service that was simple and easy for others, maybe that would work for us but I got frustrated with the free services I tried and constantly needed to update with new codes.