CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Armstead had a very good game running the ball against a very bad Stamps defense. On close ups, I noticed more than a few times that it looks like he wanted to fight his tacklers on the field. The guy appears to be a walking stick of dynamite ready to go off. Bob Dyce isn't stupid, there was a reason he let a talented back like that go. Of course, Armstead just adds to the negative culture of that team.

yeah Stamps are bad....Let's watch the squeels of glee subside in next couple games where he may get 200 yards total if he lucky

Also his lil comments..."they letting me be me" in Sask...and a couple other mild jabs...Not a guy I want, but some more proof that Mace doesn't value characyer guys, and true team players...but will dredge up the scum....to go along with some the other slugs they have that...Extend Oday!!

Edited by Booch

2 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Appears to be true but should be an asterisk there because he’s not new to the cfl but sure I guess out of the 14 quality rbs who switched teams mid season over the years, he’s numero uno on yards gained in debut 

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Appears to be true but should be an asterisk there because he’s not new to the cfl but sure I guess out of the 14 quality rbs who switched teams mid season over the years, he’s numero uno on yards gained in debut 

The more those green idiots invest their love in their new hero, the better I like it.  Eventually he will go BOOM!  Universal law dictates it as inevitable.

On 2024-09-21 at 9:42 AM, Booch said:

yeah Stamps are bad....Let's watch the squeels of glee subside in next couple games where he may get 200 yards total if he lucky

Also his lil comments..."they letting me be me" in Sask...and a couple other mild jabs...Not a guy I want, but some more proof that Mace doesn't value characyer guys, and true team players...but will dredge up the scum....to go along with some the other slugs they have that...Extend Oday!!

I believe in 2nd chances but I also believe in owning your mistakes and learning from them.

On 2024-09-21 at 9:42 AM, Booch said:

Young head coaches are a big part of the problem because they're just like their players. Look at how stupid BC Lions DC Ryan Phillips acts on the sidelines with the many ("I can't believe this is happening") faces he makes when things go bad on the field for him. How he seems to mock other teams when his defense gets the upper hand & how he says he encourages his players to act like idiots on the field yapping. A generation ago, these coaches would have been shown the door by their HC or in the case of a mouthy HC, his GM. There seemed to be a lot more decorum & respect for one another back then. 

18 hours ago, Goalie said:

Stamps just suck. There's no character or pride on that team anymore. The fans can see it & are fed up After what happened Saturday night in the Stamps locker room how can you even sell this team to the fans in Calgary anymore?

There was a big shouting match in the locker room between Tre Roberson & Josiah Coatney a rookie DL. He was the one who laid out Zach Collaros earlier in the year when we played the Stamps at McMahon Stadium.

Apparently, the older Stamps veterans on the team, Michel, Roberson, Beggelton etc are trying to teach the younger players, "The Stamps Way" or how they were taught to be pros by other veterans who they played with as young players. There's still 6 players left from the 2018 Grey Cup Champs. These entitled younger players are having none of it & refuse to listen to the veterans trying to help them. These guys will only do what they want to do & refuse to listen to these "old men". Judging by the comments on social media, some of the younger Stamps fans on X were taking the young players side & calling Roberson an "Old Man who yells at clouds". 

Beggelton. Michel & Roberson are getting tired of being ignored & things boiled over after their 6th straight loss on Saturday night. so much so that the two players had to be separated.

My question is why is it up to the players? It should be up to Dave Dickenson & his staff to establish the culture. Not Roberson or Beggelton. If these players don't care then they should all be released come this off season to send a message, If they don't want to FI then FO. That entire coaching staff needs to go as well. 

Oh & then there's Defensive Lineman Mike Rose who thinks teammates fighting each other in the locker room in front of everybody including the one or two media members who still follow the team is a good thing.  What a dumpster fire. 

We need to appreciate what we have as a team, fellas.... 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Young head coaches are a big part of the problem because they're just like their players. Look at how stupid BC Lions DC Ryan Phillips acts on the sidelines with the many ("I can't believe this is happening") faces he makes when things go bad on the field for him. How he seems to mock other teams when his defense gets the upper hand & how he says he encourages his players to act like idiots on the field yapping. A generation ago, these coaches would have been shown the door by their HC or in the case of a mouthy HC, his GM. There seemed to be a lot more decorum & respect for one another back then. 

Is it their age or their personality and what they allow their staff/players to do?  MOS would have been considered a young HC (he was 42 when he came here) but you know that stuff would not fly with him, then or now.    Rick Campbell and MOS are the same age but they could not be more different in how they let their teams their teams act.

41 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Is it their age or their personality and what they allow their staff/players to do?  MOS would have been considered a young HC (he was 42 when he came here) but you know that stuff would not fly with him, then or now.    Rick Campbell and MOS are the same age but they could not be more different in how they let their teams their teams act.

I can’t picture players running through a paper streamer for Rick Campbell, let alone a wall. He always struck me as the film room type over the leadership type. 

I’ve seen O’Shea at least coach guys up on the sidelines. Campbell just stands there with that look on his face, like he’s trying to figure out if he trusted the fart too much. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I can’t picture players running through a paper streamer for Rick Campbell, let alone a wall. He always struck me as the film room type over the leadership type. 

I’ve seen O’Shea at least coach guys up on the sidelines. Campbell just stands there with that look on his face, like he’s trying to figure out if he trusted the fart too much. 

"Am I going to regret that?"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_y2aW7RGIXIenMAC4pKE

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Didn't we see scraps on the sidelines involving special teams guys in toronto when Mos was there though? He wasn't the HC, but still your CO generally has a ton of authority over his players. 

Not to mention Don Matthews teams were the biggest perpetrators when it came to poor behavior, conduct, and dirty play. The early part of the dave ritchie era here was mouthy, brash, and full of questionable sportsmanship too.  

IMO, it is only a matter of time till "Rock"slips up......but can't take away the game he had....very, very good...

Dickenson has some real problems brewing clearly..rumours of vets and young guys fighting is troubling

Edm. has improved without Jones doing everything......and they played with physicality...whew that o-line played hard and to the line all game.....Im not sold on Ford, he is athletic as all get-up yes, but MBT IMO is teh better QB, let's see what they do this week?

BC IMO has ruined Adams at least for this season, I think he is a very emotional guy and I just don't see him getting outta his own head for the rest of the year, and it's squarely on Campbels shoulders. Rourke has plummeted back to earth hard, I just don't see that QB room as a happy kumbaya place the media is trying to sell us on

I do believe we are the only team in the west as of today that doesn't have at least a partially fractured locker room....

1 minute ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

IMO, it is only a matter of time till "Rock"slips up......but can't take away the game he had....very, very good...

Dickenson has some real problems brewing clearly..rumours of vets and young guys fighting is troubling

Edm. has improved without Jones doing everything......and they played with physicality...whew that o-line played hard and to the line all game.....Im not sold on Ford, he is athletic as all get-up yes, but MBT IMO is teh better QB, let's see what they do this week?

BC IMO has ruined Adams at least for this season, I think he is a very emotional guy and I just don't see him getting outta his own head for the rest of the year, and it's squarely on Campbels shoulders. Rourke has plummeted back to earth hard, I just don't see that QB room as a happy kumbaya place the media is trying to sell us on

I do believe we are the only team in the west as of today that doesn't have at least a partially fractured locker room....

I agree with all that. Though as we've seen here this year, a winning streak cures all that ails you. And we have enough season left for some one to get hot down the stretch.

I worry a bit that we peaked early and will coast into the play offs with a shut it down finish to the regular season again. Best case scenario for us, imo, is for some one else in the west to step up and challenge us all the way to the final week. We don't need to win out, but we can't take our foot off the pedal. We need changes on the Off, but I don't think they'll happen. 

2 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

It's not even a rumour though, it's all public knowledge.  Guys like  Maier & Mike Rose have acknowledged the argument between Roberson & Coatney and said maybe it's something that needed to happen.  Marken Michel & Begelton gave an interview 2 weeks ago where (without naming names) they called out young guys on their team.  

I had forgotten that Adams also has a guaranteed contract for next year.  I'd love to see BC have to hold on to him for another year and figure out how to fit both his & Rourke's contract in.

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Didn't we see scraps on the sidelines involving special teams guys in toronto when Mos was there though? He wasn't the HC, but still your CO generally has a ton of authority over his players. 

Not to mention Don Matthews teams were the biggest perpetrators when it came to poor behavior, conduct, and dirty play. The early part of the dave ritchie era here was mouthy, brash, and full of questionable sportsmanship too.  

Yeah it just goes to show that those types of teams aren't limited to young head coaches or this era.  The belief that past eras were more respectful is wrong, IMO.  

6 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

It's not even a rumour though, it's all public knowledge.  Guys like  Maier & Mike Rose have acknowledged the argument between Roberson & Coatney and said maybe it's something that needed to happen.  Marken Michel & Begelton gave an interview 2 weeks ago where (without naming names) they called out young guys on their team.  

I had forgotten that Adams also has a guaranteed contract for next year.  I'd love to see BC have to hold on to him for another year and figure out how to fit both his & Rourke's contract in.

Yeah it just goes to show that those types of teams aren't limited to young head coaches or this era.  The belief that past eras were more respectful is wrong, IMO.  

Agree. I mean, back in they day they used to consider scraps in TC a good thing. Even scraps in practice when a team was struggling was shined up. When Bounty gate happened in the NFL lots of guys were open about it being a common practice up here. Belli talked a bunch about it back then, and brown too. The name of the game when it came to pass rushing was QBing Killing. You had coaches teaching players the best ways to hurt a QB and knock them out of the game. 

The difference now, aside from allegedly trying to try to protect qbs and prone players, is that we see the sideline all the time and have HD replays on a whim. You didn't see nearly as many close ups of the sidelines back in the day, or have such open access to players on social media. 

The culture of football has softened and become far friendlier, and no place more so than coaching. Dickenson and Maas are the biggest complainers with the poorest sideline conduct in the league right now. And both have been coaching up here a long time. 

24 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Agree. I mean, back in they day they used to consider scraps in TC a good thing. Even scraps in practice when a team was struggling was shined up. When Bounty gate happened in the NFL lots of guys were open about it being a common practice up here. Belli talked a bunch about it back then, and brown too. The name of the game when it came to pass rushing was QBing Killing. You had coaches teaching players the best ways to hurt a QB and knock them out of the game. 

The difference now, aside from allegedly trying to try to protect qbs and prone players, is that we see the sideline all the time and have HD replays on a whim. You didn't see nearly as many close ups of the sidelines back in the day, or have such open access to players on social media. 

The culture of football has softened and become far friendlier, and no place more so than coaching. Dickenson and Maas are the biggest complainers with the poorest sideline conduct in the league right now. And both have been coaching up here a long time. 

Yup...times and styles have changed...I was in rooms where some the defensive guys had dislike for offensive...and vice versa...and many instances where guys...on same team all year hardly knew other teamates...but good teams made it work, as when game time came they were all for one

You need the tight close room now...to a point...even nowadays the over loyal treatment to some rubs guys...both yhoung and vet the wrong way a bit...won't say it publicly but they see when a guy is playing who shouldn't be and it doesn't always sit right...especially when you are dragging ass with your record