CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

won't say it publicly but they see when a guy is playing who shouldn't be and it doesn't always sit right...especially when you are dragging ass with your record

This. 
I sometime wonder how some older guys can even want to continue when they know that they are a drag on the team, 
Eg. Jake Thomas by all accounts, is a good guy and must have some self awareness.  But If that was me, watching game film….I would be totally embarrassed.
I get that there is self delusion, the payday, resistance to giving up the spotlight, etc. 

But sheesh…doesn’t the guy even have his real estate ticket to fall back on?

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

21 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

This. 
I sometime wonder how some older guys can even want to continue when they know that they are a drag on the team, 
Eg. Jake Thomas by all accounts, is a good guy and must have some self awareness.  But If that was me, watching game film….I would be totally embarrassed.
I get that there is self delusion, the payday, resistance to giving up the spotlight, etc. 

But sheesh…doesn’t the guy even have his real estate ticket to fall back on?

Dont know if you watched last game but Thomas outplayed woods. Younger by all accounts is a good defensive mind, hes gonna play the players that give him the best chance to win

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Dont know if you watched last game but Thomas outplayed woods. Younger by all accounts is a good defensive mind, hes gonna play the players that give him the best chance to win

not sure what u were seeing...outplayed in snaps maybe...not effectiveness

Just now, JCon said:

His one tackle was game changing.

typical tackle too...play filtered into him basically stuck in a block or cause he had no penetration into pocket...Younger plays guys he is afforded...He doesnt get Adams or any other factor in the middle....and Schmeck is equally as inneffective....so yeah..Thomas gets reps sadly

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Don’t know if you watched what was happening by… All of Thomas’ decent to good reps came as the 3 tech when woods was playing 0/1. Woods played sparingly, and the 30 front Jake on the nose sets are where we got gashed. When you align on the nose, getting back field penetration doesn’t mean you’ve succeeded as strange as that sounds. Because then both A gaps are wide open in the run game. That’s why rankin was gashing us with cut backs. 2 free guards roaming the second level at will. 
 Thomas was able to push around korte, and shove him off to make a nice stop at the line once. But he wasn’t staying in the lane or pushing korte back into the pocket, he was twisting and wrapping around him.  
 Jy had 6 dl dressed, 3 ends 2 ni dts, and we continually sub in an imp db with out using the NA player. He doesn’t have a choice. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

He's produced 20 on the season and 1 sack. How do you take that type of production out of the lineup? 

8 tackles since June. 

Tackles are not a success indicator. 20 tackles on 200 snaps isn’t good.  How many sacks has the team recorded since june and where does it rank in the league? (Hint it’s last) Adam’s has 14 tackles 4 sacks in 4 less games with a fraction the snaps. 
 Adam’s can also play any position and technique. 

Jake shouldn’t be off the roster, he should be rotating and used sparingly only as a 3 tech.  When hes lined up off the line and it’s a passing play he can’t even run to the ol before the ball is thrown.  Seriously.

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah, pretty sure I watched the game, and Jake is terrible. 
My original post is about self awareness and personal reflection, not about coaching choices. 

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Don’t know if you watched what was happening by… All of Thomas’ decent to good reps came as the 3 tech when woods was playing 0/1. Woods played sparingly, and the 30 front Jake on the nose sets are where we got gashed. When you align on the nose, getting back field penetration doesn’t mean you’ve succeeded as strange as that sounds. Because then both A gaps are wide open in the run game. That’s why rankin was gashing us with cut backs. 2 free guards roaming the second level at will. 
 Thomas was able to push around korte, and shove him off to make a nice stop at the line once. But he wasn’t staying in the lane or pushing korte back into the pocket, he was twisting and wrapping around him.  
 Jy had 6 dl dressed, 3 ends 2 ni dts, and we continually sub in an imp db with out using the NA player. He doesn’t have a choice. 

Tackles are not a success indicator. 20 tackles on 200 snaps isn’t good.  How many sacks has the team recorded since june and where does it rank in the league? (Hint it’s last) Adam’s has 14 tackles 4 sacks in 4 less games with a fraction the snaps. 

Jake shouldn’t be off the roster, he should be rotating and used sparingly only as a 3 tech.  When hes lined up off the line and it’s a passing play he can’t even run to the ol before the ball is thrown.  Seriously.

No, it's not the only thing, but if you're in the right spot, you should be getting far more than 20 over 200 snaps. If our DL was dominant and Jake still had 20, I wouldn't care because he was obviously doing his job. But, our front 3-4 are not getting enough pressure AND he's ineffective. 

What i saw was every time Woods was on he was getting manhandled and pushed out of position leaving gaps for Rankin to plough through. When you run a three man front the tackles job isnt as much to make the tackle its to eat up the blockers so lb can get clear shot. Thomas is not a mike rose but our options at dt arent great. Younger has full control over personnel on any given play and its obvious what his choice was, even with 4 man rush woods was being handled.Take a look at Rankins run at the 13 minute in  2nd qtr and you'll see what I mean. A lot of Rankins run were thru the right side of their line.

Edited by Pete

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

that...and absolutely zero pursuit ability...it's almost comical watching him well after a play trotting up to the pile...or how he is gassed and has no ability to finish plays when guys have flushed the QB or ball carrier right to where he is...literally several times within a foot or 2...and he cant even just fall down in front of them to slow them up...its really brutal if you watch him exclusively over a course of a game...I have...it's awful....I recommend you all do ot...and make note on big gains...who was on the field more times than not

1 minute ago, Pete said:

What i saw was every time Woods was on he was getting manhandled and pushed out of position leaving gaps for Rankin yo plough through. When you run a three man front the tackles job isnt as much to make the tackle its to eat up the blockers so lb can get clear shot. Thomas is not a mike rose but our options at dt arent great. Younger has full control over personnel on any given play and its obvious what his choice was.Take a look at Rankins run at the 13 minute in  2nd qtr and you'll see what I meann

herein lies the issue that many of us have been harping on...loyalty to, and clinging onto old guard vets...who dont' have it any moe...and having no succession plan in place to even cover an in game/season injury or ineffectiveness....let alone forward looking

We always get the "yeah they will figure it out"..."they will work on some thing"....Which is all fine and dandy when it is mental miscues, or inexperience...not when it is past the best before date

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

What i saw was every time Woods was on he was getting manhandled and pushed out of position leaving gaps for Rankin yo plough through. When you run a three man front the tackles job isnt as much to make the tackle its to eat up the blockers so lb can get clear shot. Thomas is not a mike rose but our options at dt arent great. Younger has full control over personnel on any given play and its obvious what his choice was.Take a look at Rankins run at the 13 minute in  2nd qtr and you'll see what I meann

cant cherry pick 1 play to validtae a point....do you know tho what the call was and the players responsibility?...thats a big part of it too

30 minutes ago, Pete said:

Show your work...

Now I'll give Thomas this... he seems pretty good at disengaging from the guy blocking him to grab onto a guy running past him... but he doesn't do anything to disrupt anything and has less than  0 ability to chase anyone down. 

He is there to just take up space. Woods and adams are better by a lot

21 minutes ago, Booch said:

that...and absolutely zero pursuit ability...it's almost comical watching him well after a play trotting up to the pile...or how he is gassed and has no ability to finish plays when guys have flushed the QB or ball carrier right to where he is...literally several times within a foot or 2...and he cant even just fall down in front of them to slow them up...its really brutal if you watch him exclusively over a course of a game...I have...it's awful....I recommend you all do ot...and make note on big gains...who was on the field more times than not

herein lies the issue that many of us have been harping on...loyalty to, and clinging onto old guard vets...who dont' have it any moe...and having no succession plan in place to even cover an in game/season injury or ineffectiveness....let alone forward looking

We always get the "yeah they will figure it out"..."they will work on some thing"....Which is all fine and dandy when it is mental miscues, or inexperience...not when it is past the best before date

cant cherry pick 1 play to validtae a point....do you know tho what the call was and the players responsibility?...thats a big part of it too

Here we go again, it must be Monday after another win.

19 minutes ago, JCon said:

No, it's not the only thing, but if you're in the right spot, you should be getting far more than 20 over 200 snaps. If our DL was dominant and Jake still had 20, I wouldn't care because he was obviously doing his job. But, our front 3-4 are not getting enough pressure AND he's ineffective. 

His reps at 0 are a good part of why we don't get pressure. In the 30, with jake on the nose, our ends are double teamed virtually every snap. In the 40, we get man up more and really only get pressure with woods on.  

If we had cam lawson healthy and starting, with jake taking limited reps (15 or less on D not including short yardage) adams and woods on the roster and haba off we would see considerable improvement. 

The real need is to upgrade the dt position, as currently we dont have a great alternative. How good would it have been to sign Oakman? My main point is with current roster Younger is playing who he feels is best

I do agree we aren't nearly aggressive enough to replace vets that are downtrending

3 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Here we go again, it must be Monday after another win.

so...one cant reply to a post/comment about player availbilty to a co-ordinator?....and why we have nobody?....without your thing getting in a wad?...sorry you don't like hearing it...but it affects us in about 3 different ways....and not good ways....block or mute...or just buzz off if it irks u...cause it aint going away

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

His reps at 0 are a good part of why we don't get pressure. In the 30, with jake on the nose, our ends are double teamed virtually every snap. In the 40, we get man up more and really only get pressure with woods on.  

If we had cam lawson healthy and starting, with jake taking limited reps (15 or less on D not including short yardage) adams and woods on the roster and haba off we would see considerable improvement. 

yeah go back and watch the reps with the Shmeckle/Thomas duo....pityfull....and thats cause we have no roster depth or bodies to plug in there....cause...and cover your eyes @Fatty Liver but becuase we have a horrible roster makeup...and PR

Just now, Pete said:

The real need is to upgrade the dt position, as currently we dont have a great alternative. How good would it have been to sign Oakman? My main point is with current roster Younger is playing who he feels is best

I do agree we aren't nearly aggressive enough to replace vets that are downtrending

WE have a great alternative...2 actual when Fox is ready....we dont need a national DT....or a DA olineman that gets 6 snaps a game

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Yup...times and styles have changed...I was in rooms where some the defensive guys had dislike for offensive...and vice versa...and many instances where guys...on same team all year hardly knew other teamates...but good teams made it work, as when game time came they were all for one

You need the tight close room now...to a point...even nowadays the over loyal treatment to some rubs guys...both yhoung and vet the wrong way a bit...won't say it publicly but they see when a guy is playing who shouldn't be and it doesn't always sit right...especially when you are dragging ass with your record

So true even at the high school/university level not every player knows one another. I remember asking my son about certain offensive players (he played db), his most often times answer would be I don’t know I don’t know him. lol.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

So true even at the high school/university level not every player knows one another. I remember asking my son about certain offensive players (he played db), his most often times answer would be I don’t know I don’t know him. lol.

There was a long time culture of defense not liking the O, and OL being the most clicky of all.
I got cut for doing some thing stupid in junior on O and the DC brought me back mostly to piss off the oc. Practice was reeeaally fun that year. Funny enough I ended up playing ol too for the last 3 weeks and the next year. But he was let go after the year. 
 The split was really bad in that locker room. 
 Couple of the big us programs I visited it wasn’t nearly soo bad, especially party schools. Some teams seam to cultivate the D vs O culture though. Especially hs down south. 

30 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

Betcha O’Day already sent this guy’s agent an offer 😏

Just read his Wiki.. he was already signed by the Riders but was released before playing a game for them last year so maybe they'll bring him back.

He went to the indoor league after the Riders released him but got suspended after going into the crowd to confront a fan.  Chris Jones said that's my kind of guy and signed him to the L's.