CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

14 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Just read his Wiki.. he was already signed by the Riders but was released before playing a game for them last year so maybe they'll bring him back.

He went to the indoor league after the Riders released him but got suspended after going into the crowd to confront a fan.  Chris Jones said that's my kind of guy and signed him to the L's.

Ejected from a game in the CFL for throwing fists, suspended for confronting a fan in the indoor league....wow this guy has Riders all over him, Room him up with the "Rock"

All kidding aside, it's nice the see that Edm. seems to have some accountability without Jones. Not sure how Jackson will do as a HC, but Edm. seems to be playing physical, hard and spirited after he took over, but IF they cross the line it appears they have consequences now.  Time will tell if he develops into a good HC or not....

12 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Ejected from a game in the CFL for throwing fists, suspended for confronting a fan in the indoor league....wow this guy has Riders all over him, Room him up with the "Rock"

All kidding aside, it's nice the see that Edm. seems to have some accountability without Jones. Not sure how Jackson will do as a HC, but Edm. seems to be playing physical, hard and spirited after he took over, but IF they cross the line it appears they have consequences now.  Time will tell if he develops into a good HC or not....

I think he will do welll...He has a nice rapport and connection to players....and he has been around a while now.....you can see there is a huge shift there since he took over....gotta let him have this yr and next to put his stamp on it

4 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Amazing how much more professional the Elks have become since relieving Jones... They may not make the playoffs after the (potential) back-to-back losses to the Bombers... but they definitely feel like a team that's finally on the upswing in the west 

Just look at the bad stench he had the Rider's in....and they still there for most part with how they play and the character they show....And how the Elks were going....Only difference is the Elks now have come full circle and re-wired their locker and culture with a guy at the helm who is looking to be legit...The Riders are still putting out some stink because as much as they wanna trumpet Mace was their guy...they again had to settle for a HC and I just don't see it yet in him being a guy to turn it around....or at the least any time soon

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

Just look at the bad stench he had the Rider's in....and they still there for most part with how they play and the character they show....And how the Elks were going....Only difference is the Elks now have come full circle and re-wired their locker and culture with a guy at the helm who is looking to be legit...The Riders are still putting out some stink because as much as they wanna trumpet Mace was their guy...they again had to settle for a HC and I just don't see it yet in him being a guy to turn it around....or at the least any time soon

But but but, Miles Brown is a saint! If Jake Thomas tore up Trevor Harris' knee in the same manner they would be screaming for his head on a spike, yet theyve nearly raised enough Go-Fund me money to pay his fine. There are no words to describe how much i hate that f**king fan base. Just koolaid drinking, hypocrite, dipshit, hillbilly, lemmings. F**k each and every one of them.

2 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

But but but, Miles Brown is a saint! If Jake Thomas tore up Trevor Harris' knee in the same manner they would be screaming for his head on a spike, yet theyve nearly raised enough Go-Fund me money to pay his fine. There are no words to describe how much i hate that f**king fan base. Just koolaid drinking, hypocrite, dipshit, hillbilly, lemmings. F**k each and every one of them.

i agree....not a very knowledgeable fan base

We have our differing opinions here, and bickering....but it's not a bunch of pointless nonesense and fabricated B.S

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

we're basically also doing the same thing to Jake... but for different reasons 😉

4 hours ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Yeah. Jackson has done an excellent job of picking up the pieces after jones was finally dumpstered. In that, he benefits a big deal from 1, having no expectations from how bad they were, and 2 the removal of the most toxic coach in the league. 

I see a couple signs that don't bode well. How he claimed he tore them a new one and said more to the team than he had the whole time since he took over as HC. Which the players didn't seem to see happen. If true, as far as authoritarians go he would make mos look like bear bryant. 

He has been yanking qbs instead of trying to really get it working with one (It isn't a hard choice either who should be starting) then announcing it when we were in our bye week, and still didn't come prepared with a game plan capable of beating us. If he can't get his offence to work with MBT, he's in trouble. I mean they have Eugene lewis, Gittens jr, Dillion mitchell, and tevin jones plus those RBs. That is a solid group. With MBT, and that running game, knowing you are gonna get time to pass you cant put together a game plan to get those guys the ball?

The switch to ford was strange, but even more so he didn't have any thing put in to make use of fords strengths. One poorly timed draw play. 

He also coached under jones for like 5 years in 2 different stints. For that to happen he either needs to be a significant yesman  to a toxic pos or needs to be one of his ilk.

I think character wise, he has done a very good job. I think he will continue to coach in the cfl if HCing doesn't work out. And I think he will likely, and should get a chance to be the HC next year. But I see a few red flags already. Imo, he needs a guy like Hall to be an ast HC to mentor him and a guy who can take and run his offence with out his having to do the play call. 

https://3downnation.com/2024/09/25/could-bo-levi-mitchell-win-cfl-m-o-p-even-if-hamilton-tiger-cats-miss-playoffs/

another classic from 3dn. 

I think Brady and Mcinnis will duel it out for moc, and if either leaders receiving/rushing at the end of the year they likely battle for mop. Stanback could jump in if he wins, I don’t think any other wr would though. 
 Milligan will split votes with the rider bias, but I don’t think he would win modp votes over over beverette or our candidate. 
 The top performers on D are all too close for one to win mop imo. Even though I would go D. I would put up nichols. 

45 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

https://3downnation.com/2024/09/25/could-bo-levi-mitchell-win-cfl-m-o-p-even-if-hamilton-tiger-cats-miss-playoffs/

another classic from 3dn. 

I think Brady and Mcinnis will duel it out for moc, and if either leaders receiving/rushing at the end of the year they likely battle for mop. Stanback could jump in if he wins, I don’t think any other wr would though. 
 Milligan will split votes with the rider bias, but I don’t think he would win modp votes over over beverette or our candidate. 
 The top performers on D are all too close for one to win mop imo. Even though I would go D. I would put up nichols. 

I hope those guys keep up their amazing picks this week.  From the 10 guys they had picking games last week, 8 of them picked Edmonton to win.  The two guys who have clearly paid attention knew that we've played really well against mobile QB's this year while the rest had these gems:  

ABBOTT: I am a convert to the church of Tre Ford and my saviour has risen.

HOSKINS: Tre Ford returns to the lineup and continues to create magic. Edmonton fans get to go home happy again.

BALLANTINE: No Bighill and Ford is starting.

GRANT: I like how Edmonton matches up against this version of the Bombers. I expect the Elks to be up late, but can they hold on?

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

I think our Ford is gonna get some love if he keeps up his pace... Might not take MOC over Brady but he'll see some MODP likely. 

He should and likely will. We will likely go with a vet as our candidate. I’d bet on wj or Nichols.

46 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

You can't name a guy MOP whose team finished in last in their division as Hamilton currently is.

I have to disagree with you a little bit here.  If the award was MVP, then absolutely, the last place team can't have the league MVP, but one guy can play outstanding and still have a team that loses, so I think it is still possible for the last place team to have the MOP.

3 minutes ago, Sard said:

I have to disagree with you a little bit here.  If the award was MVP, then absolutely, the last place team can't have the league MVP, but one guy can play outstanding and still have a team that loses, so I think it is still possible for the last place team to have the MOP.

But do passing yards really mean a guy is outstanding? Could just mean they're always behind and he's gotta throw a pile to try and get back while the other team is playing soft.

4 minutes ago, Sard said:

I get that but how outstanding can you be if your team is dead last? At some point you pad stats on a bad team. Especially in terms of yards on O and tackles on D.  

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

But do passing yards really mean a guy is outstanding? Could just mean they're always behind and he's gotta throw a pile to try and get back while the other team is playing soft.

Didn’t put mbt into consideration in 2021 when he lead the league. 

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Which has definitely been the case for BLM this season, at times...

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

One exception was when Ricky Ray threw for 5000 yards in Edmonton, behind a terrible OL. His team never made the playoffs, but that was an MOP calibre season.

For my money he's the best QB to ever play this game, after Flutie and Moon... You could pick any year of his career and he'd be MOP calibre, for me anyhow...

12 hours ago, 17to85 said:

And on top of that... he's been benched this year... can you really say this guy has had an "outstanding" season when his coaches decided at one point that the team was better off without him playing?