CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Howell is an interesting choice. He's been coaching for over a decade. I do wonder why he's basically only been a receivers coach/passing game co ordinator and never an OC.

I think it’s mainly a lack of chances for our side hire ocs league wide. He’s been sitting behind guys who had their jobs pretty locked up. 
 Usually ocs are developed in house, or new hcs bring in their guys. Took buck ages to get his shot. 
 And the current default pipe line is former qb in the league, to qb coach, to oc. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Rider President Craig Reynolds.

exactly right... culture starts at the top... Mace - jury still out on how good of a coach he will be - is working under Reynolds and O'Day... now compare that to the Bombers hierarchy and there's a clear difference...

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Howell is an interesting choice. He's been coaching for over a decade. I do wonder why he's basically only been a receivers coach/passing game co ordinator and never an OC.

well his resumé includes 3 years as a "pass game coordinator" and 3 years as a "run game coordinator"...  it's almost like the guy is qualified to be a coordinator of offenses... I wonder if a job like that exists 🤔

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

exactly right... culture starts at the top... Mace - jury still out on how good of a coach he will be - is working under Reynolds and O'Day... now compare that to the Bombers hierarchy and there's a clear difference...

This, even if Mace becomes a great HC, he doesn't have the super competent people needed above him in the organization to make it a top regime.  Just recall how many years they've relied on picking up league retreads instead of finding their own players.  At least for the short time John Murphy was there they had a decent influx of new players recruited.

5 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

This, even if Mace becomes a great HC, he doesn't have the super competent people needed above him in the organization to make it a top regime.  Just recall how many years they've relied on picking up league retreads instead of finding their own players.  At least for the short time John Murphy was there they had a decent influx of new players recruited.

Paul Jones has had health problems that has limited his scouting ability. Outside of him they really have no one. O'Day couldn't find talent if it was dropped in front of him, they got the glorified donut/water boy from Calgary, and Larry Dean who knows nothing at this point and is a really baffling choice to be tying up ops dollars really. This is a team that is going to see even further decline of talent. They are leaving everything to an aging and in poor health Paul Jones. He's one of the best identifiers of talent.....but if you can't go look because you are 250 lbs overweight and are having complications from that, it doesn't do a team a lick of good.

19 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The riders market is soo used to not being unlikeable, that they think every thing directed at them other than adoration, is hate. 
They’ve drowned in bias to the point they are incapable of realizing they have become every thing they hate most. 

Remember when zach was KO’d for them and they wanted a suspension that lasted as long as his injury? 2019 and prior they railed against dirty play and cheap shots as a fan base. Since then they’ve been historically bad offenders at the very same, and excuse that behaviour to a sickening extent. 
 They need to can oday and bring in a high level culture setter. 

Reality is slowly setting in over there, and you see it in attendance. They haven’t made a gc in what 11 going on 12 years? In that time every team but bc has made a grey cup. They have run through coaches and players. Spent on trying to buy stars in free agency. All to no avail. And they remain the most penalized and punished team in the league. Yet they are married to oday and that toxic culture. Look at how much Edmonton improved once jones was gone. 

Reynolds took over and immediately threw the code of conduct out the window. He was the original culture setter that rules don't matter. No culture until he is gone. He cheated to get Jones, he then allowed...nay...encouraged Jones to cheat, who  in turn allowed his players to play fast and loose with the rule book. It's so entrenched there now you gotta blow it up.

19 hours ago, 17to85 said:

And not just dirty, but all around garbage in human suits in general.

Nik Marshall and a couple Crips wanna have a word with you about your opinion.

22 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Reynolds took over and immediately threw the code of conduct out the window. He was the original culture setter that rules don't matter. No culture until he is gone. He cheated to get Jones, he then allowed...nay...encouraged Jones to cheat, who  in turn allowed his players to play fast and loose with the rule book. It's so entrenched there now you gotta blow it up.

Nailed it.  

I don't even think in the past 5...6 yr that P.Jones was what he used to be either...I think he was past his best before date as well...and isn't as connected, or in touch as much as he used to be

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Nailed it.  

yup...the rot permeates right on down the line

Thinking back through the fog of rider hate (and age) I feel like they had good culture when dressler was there. But that it evaporated seemingly when he left. It’s hard to be sure though, they spanked us bad back then and he was a guy who could carry a locker room. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Thinking back through the fog of rider hate (and age) I feel like they had good culture when dressler was there. But that it evaporated seemingly when he left. It’s hard to be sure though, they spanked us bad back then and he was a guy who could carry a locker room. 

That would have been Taman/Chamblin regime, Jones refused to pay Dressler his deferred contract amount when he chose to come back to the Riders from his NFL stint instead of signing with the Argos for much more.  

53 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

That was the exact time Jones/Reynolds took over.

Yeah that was some WWE type crap...yeah he apologized...they all do when caught...but he still did it..and the way in which he did was total intent and pathetic...not a case of "not controlling" your body...or a borderline late head shot type impact...he totally knew what he was trying to do..was as cut and dry as you will see...I bet if we had a idiot do that he would a) be cut or b) not see the field again this yr

But...Riders..."oh he sorry" and "we talked about it and how it's bad" blah blah blah 

11 hours ago, GCn20 said:

This goes back to Danny Barrett & GM Roy Shivers in 1999. Shivers set the standard for the culture they have now.

Some of the players he had brought in were talented but lacked character & it showed in their behaviour on & off the field. There was that huge brawl in a bar in Regina as well as the player with aids who was sleeping around with different women & not telling them that he was sick.

Then Shivers had a big mouth. I remember how he mocked the Bombers as well as the Ti Cats organizations twenty years ago. Never had a league executive ever personally attacked other teams in the league. He called them both Mickey Mouse organizations. it was shocking at the time. The guy always had a chip on his shoulder when it came to race relations in football.

Obviously, Shivers suffered a lot of prejudce & racism growing up which shaped the man he became. However, he brought that prejudice to the league level. It isn't really what the CFL was all about, historically. I think he was friends with Huey Newton & Bobby Seale, two of the founders of the Black Panthers in Oakland, CA. Although Shivers was never a member of the BP. Eventually, his behaviour & attitude got him fired.

When a culture has been entrenched for two decades, it just doesn't go away like that.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, Booch said:

Yeah that was some WWE type crap...yeah he apologized...they all do when caught...but he still did it..and the way in which he did was total intent and pathetic...not a case of "not controlling" your body...or a borderline late head shot type impact...he totally knew what he was trying to do..was as cut and dry as you will see...I bet if we had a idiot do that he would a) be cut or b) not see the field again this yr

But...Riders..."oh he sorry" and "we talked about it and how it's bad" blah blah blah 

God is good.