CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Obviously, Shivers suffered a lot of prejudce & racism growing up which shaped the man he became. However, he brought that prejudice to the league level. It isn't really what the CFL was all about, historically. I think he was friends with Huey Newton & Bobby Seale, two of the founders of the Black Panthers in Oakland, CA. Although Shivers was never a member of the BP. Eventually, his behaviour & attitude got him fired.

I agree about Shivers. But if you read autobiographies and memoirs from players back in the day - it's clear that there was a racial divide.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This goes back to Danny Barrett & GM Roy Shivers in 1999. Shivers set the standard for the culture they have now.

Some of the players he had brought in were talented but lacked character & it showed in their behaviour on & off the field. There was that huge brawl in a bar in Regina as well as the player with aids who was sleeping around with different women & not telling them that he was sick.

Then Shivers had a big mouth. I remember how he mocked the Bombers as well as the Ti Cats organizations twenty years ago. Never had a league executive ever personally attacked other teams in the league. He called them both Mickey Mouse organizations. it was shocking at the time. The guy always had a chip on his shoulder when it came to race relations in football.

Obviously, Shivers suffered a lot of prejudce & racism growing up which shaped the man he became. However, he brought that prejudice to the league level. It isn't really what the CFL was all about, historically. I think he was friends with Huey Newton & Bobby Seale, two of the founders of the Black Panthers in Oakland, CA. Although Shivers was never a member of the BP. Eventually, his behaviour & attitude got him fired.

When a culture has been entrenched for two decades, it just doesn't go away like that.

Shivers is why so many of the fans are OK with the shitty attitudes. Most of them jumped on the bandwagon in that era so to them that's just how it is. 

Shivers was good at finding talent, but his past led him to be a real ******* of a person.

Shivers also got his CFL start working with Don Matthews in BC, kind of makes sense. They both prioritized talent over character.  

32 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Shivers is why so many of the fans are OK with the shitty attitudes. Most of them jumped on the bandwagon in that era so to them that's just how it is. 

Shivers was good at finding talent, but his past led him to be a real ******* of a person.

Agreed, that era built their current bandwagon. Before the Shivers/Barrett years, their fans never seemed as douchey.

Their culture will never be fixed until the sheeple over there that call themselves Rider fans demand they do so. Based on the delusions I've read from them since the suspension was announced, I don't think that's going to happen. They are literally furious over the suspension!? What kind of mouth breather would ever defend a hit like that? Just the most classless and delusionary fanbase. It's a conspiracy against them they say....SMH.

https://www.cfl.ca/2024/10/04/128-first-year-players-eligible-for-2024-most-outstanding-rookie-award/

Looking at the list, Pokey Wilson should win the West MOR. I think, the only guy that can challenge him is Rankin. 

My guess it will be a battle between Wilson (Wpg) and Bridges (Ham) in the end. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

Here’s a microcosm of Rider culture-  Google the lyrics to TI- Bring Em Out

10 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

https://www.cfl.ca/2024/10/04/128-first-year-players-eligible-for-2024-most-outstanding-rookie-award/

Looking at the list, Pokey Wilson should win the West MOR. I think, the only guy that can challenge him is Rankin. 

My guess it will be a battle between Wilson (Wpg) and Bridges (Ham) in the end. 

Agree. Stats wise Bridges has a slight edge. Wilson has more spectacular plays. Probably a toss-up. 

2 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Nobody cares about pro football aside from the NFL in the entire country....so let's trip over our dicks again to enter the market.

17 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Here’s a microcosm of Rider culture-  Google the lyrics to TI- Bring Em Out

Agree. Stats wise Bridges has a slight edge. Wilson has more spectacular plays. Probably a toss-up. 

Bridges is hurt at the moment so hopefully Wilson can take advantage.

56 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah the old rider fans from before the bandwagon filled up are good people generally. I remember talking with one a couple years ago and he was adamant that they should just turf Marino cause he was a clown. 

Those guys are like 80 years old now though.  The younger generation (under 50 now) never gave 2 craps until they had fluked off a Grey Cup in 89. I shall call them the telethon days.

Edited by GCn20

7 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Shivers also got his CFL start working with Don Matthews in BC, kind of makes sense. They both prioritized talent over character.  

Agreed, that era built their current bandwagon. Before the Shivers/Barrett years, their fans never seemed as douchey.

Tbh I like Barrett. He’s a damn good coach and guy. I don’t think he fit the shivers toxic culture even though he seemed really close to shivers. 
 What a mess though, getting rid of shivers for Tillman yikes. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Tbh I like Barrett. He’s a damn good coach and guy. I don’t think he fit the shivers toxic culture even though he seemed really close to shivers. 
 What a mess though, getting rid of shivers for Tillman yikes. 

Shivers, Tilman, Jones, the list of despicable douchebags is a long one in the Gap.

21 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Shivers, Tilman, Jones, the list of despicable douchebags is a long one in the Gap.

Truly the elite when it comes to deplorables. It’s really impressive if you think about it. 
 The bog/league really needs to have a closed doors meeting with the top of the riders brass and read them the riot act.