CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

8 minutes ago, SectionKBlackout said:

Tre Ford signs in Winnipeg and is dealt some humble pie in the locker room.

Was the refused to play story verified?....I find that hard to believe, and if it true...find it even harder to believe he still there...

BC is in a tough spot regarding QB...IMO they screwed up....

My reasoning is VAJ was the best QB early in the season, he had chemistry and that offence looked very good

Vaj got "knicked" but not even really injured

Rourke gave up on the NFL and all the stress and unknowns feeling he never really got a fair shake and BC went all in on him 

BC then rushed him into a starters role and ALL the media went googoo

He faltered and has been pulled a few times....that cannot be good for confidence of a guy who just went through all the stresses of his NFL aspirations and then had zero time to decompress physically and more importantly mentally

Rourke has been traded, bounced around in the NFL, then rushed into game action in the CFL, he still has not found chemistry or success, he went from top of the mountain to the valley multiple times, he refused an interview and his media star dimmed a bit

All this while VAJ got healthy and relegated to back-up...again...he did everything right for BC and it still wasn't good enough he still ended up second fiddle..... but Campbel puts him in when he pulls Rourke and it turns into a disaster...the chemistry is no longer there...why because Rourke and VAJ are different people and now his teammates have half or less time with him at practice, they have adapted to a Rourke ball etc....and this further adds to VAJ's emotions and mental stresses

VAJ is an emotional guy it's no secret he has always had the physical gifts; it was his peaks and valleys and mental aspects holding him back in his early career...what Campbel's is doing to him is possibly the worst possible thing he could be doing to him after he finally seemed to have himself a peak physical and mental condition

So here we are a couple weeks from preseason and BC may not even host a home playoff game...VAJ looks to be frazzled and to have lost his MOJO, Rourke has struggled and signs are there that he is flustered

This was a team that under VAJ appeared to be running away with the West, now a team with two great QB's playing poorly...talk about diminishing returns....and it's all the fault of management

This isn't even taking into account the SMS this season and future potential concerns....although I think a team will pay big for VAJ, and BC will probably come out OK in the offseason with a trade

couldnt have said it better @3rdand1.5

Campbell has truly screwed his team....and not just this yr....they have a lot to deal with for 2025 and one way or another are gonna have to eat some salary and get nothing to show for it...Teams know they are screwed and nobody is gonna gave them a sweet deal

That team is truly divided right now...and it's noticeable

Rourke got a huge deal for work done over 2 yrs ago...when he was kind of unknown...with a lot of pieces in their prime....that they don't have now....nor will be able to afford moving forward.

Even in his "big season" he was already being figured out...and against teams that were not weak...well he struggled a lot...and from what Campbell has created now...I don't think Rourke is mentally tough enough right now to drag his team across the finish line

Some fans are producing and selling Milligan for MOP signs. The profits are for charity which is noble, but the level of cringe here is off the charts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFL/comments/1fz3anz/charity_event_rolan_milligan_jr_for_mop_campaign/

Rolan-Milligan-Jr-2024-CFL-MOP

...why don't I understand what the "O" has to do with Milligan? Am I just dumb?

2 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Some fans are producing and selling Milligan for MOP signs. The profits are for charity which is noble, but the level of cringe here is off the charts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFL/comments/1fz3anz/charity_event_rolan_milligan_jr_for_mop_campaign/

I am guessing it's a zero.

But, it doesn't make sense at first glace. Since Milligan plays defence wouldn't you want to remove the O (for offence) from MOP?

Milligan has a case for most outstanding defensive player but mop? No chance. 

the thing you wonder with our ford for MODP is was Houston nominated last year? Cuz nope. And they playing the same spot. I wonder if it’s less ford and more just that spot on the field he plays. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Booch said:

couldnt have said it better @3rdand1.5

Campbell has truly screwed his team....and not just this yr....they have a lot to deal with for 2025 and one way or another are gonna have to eat some salary and get nothing to show for it...Teams know they are screwed and nobody is gonna gave them a sweet deal

That team is truly divided right now...and it's noticeable

Rourke got a huge deal for work done over 2 yrs ago...when he was kind of unknown...with a lot of pieces in their prime....that they don't have now....nor will be able to afford moving forward.

Even in his "big season" he was already being figured out...and against teams that were not weak...well he struggled a lot...and from what Campbell has created now...I don't think Rourke is mentally tough enough right now to drag his team across the finish line

Rourke has talent and is young, I believe barring injury should have a long a career in the CFL, however I also don't see him leading this year's Lions across the finish line. He is not as Farhan labeled him a top 20 QB in the world, that was unfair to him

I agree that the contract BC gave him is a catch 22 it locks him up but.....can the still give him a top notch o-line and the type of receivers he needs to be at the top of his game....it will be tough

I do question though with the current CFL QB talent if someone will "overpay" BC for VAJ...I'm not totally sold on VAJ's contract screwing BC....

2 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Put the O in MOP... as in the "outstanding" in "most outstanding player"...  though the correct saying is "putting the O in MOP"... but it's Sask so I don't want to set the bar too high

His number is 0, so it could possibly be a 0. I keep saying I wish that the CFL published the advanced stats for DBs but it feels as though a DB being 11th in the league in Defensive tackles isn't a great thing... it shows a willingness for a QB to throw at the receiver they are covering... everyone on here used to rag on Houston as a feast or famine DB where because he has picks it looks like he is doing a good job but those two are neck and neck in tackles.

VAJ had a red hot start but then he faltered against Calgary and hit a wall against the Bombers. Kind of similar to what happened with McInnis (but that could be explained by who was throwing to him)

From a league perspective, what’s the best case scenario for play off home games? Bc vs Regina is a tough one imo. The riders generally sell strong, but that has been greatly reduced in the last several years. Where as bc would likely have some crazy concert event that would bring mega views. Plus it sets up the gc. And some rider fans would travel to bc to bolster numbers a bit. 
 Not having a home game in Toronto would be a huge win for the league. 

bc/ssk then Winnipeg, ott then mtl with the gc in a dome, should make for strong viewership both in attendance and tv views.  

generally if a DB is high in tackles....even knockdowns....can almost go as far as defensive plays....it indicates that they are, or their side of the field is being targeted.

It's not like he is racing across the field breaking up the other HB/Corners battles...stats like have been said here are misleading, unless they are certain stats...like completion % against...Targets in red zone...TD's given up...etc....tackles are a poor sta...especially when not shown where it was....at l.o.s...5 yards past....2 yards behind...after 1st down gained.....converted 2nd and long....the list goes on...show me those stats and I will show you who are legit all-stars

We track them at team, and scouting and recruitment level....Pretty sure the CFL "stats team" don't

and I know our for most part brain dead "media" dont...or even think about that...they just look at 2 things...Int...tackles...

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

From a league perspective, what’s the best case scenario for play off home games? Bc vs Regina is a tough one imo. The riders generally sell strong, but that has been greatly reduced in the last several years. Where as bc would likely have some crazy concert event that would bring mega views. Plus it sets up the gc. And some rider fans would travel to bc to bolster numbers a bit. 

bc/ssk then Winnipeg, ott then mtl with the gc in a dome, should make for strong viewership both in attendance and tv views.  

Sask doesn't deserve a home game....their pityfull support the last few yrs being a good indication....BC vs SASK if played here as a neutral site would draw more than either place....for the sole fact we would boo thand razz the crap outta both teams  affecting their offences...

Edited by Booch

Just now, Noeller said:

Milligan doesn't deserve MODP and all of this MOP nonsense is going to 100% lead to him getting MODP as a "consolation" because Brady is going to win MOP.

There's no way they can job Brady out of MOP 2 years in a row is there?

Just now, 17to85 said:

There's no way they can job Brady out of MOP 2 years in a row is there?

I wouldnt be so sure...we pissed all over 3 or 4 of the media's storylines this yr...so....payback....

He got robbed last yr...Stanley got robbed in 2021.....so wouldn't be shocked if he robbed again

Brady will at least get West MOP. Depending on how Montreal fares the last few weeks it's possible that Faj loses to Brady, but I still think he'll get the East MOP. 

1 minute ago, Booch said:

I wouldnt be so sure...we pissed all over 3 or 4 of the media's storylines this yr...so....payback....

He got robbed last yr...Stanley got robbed in 2021.....so wouldn't be shocked if he robbed again

expect 1 jobbing a year when the riders make the play offs. 
 Ford/nichols should be the modp candidate from the west. Brady should be mop/moc. 
 I could see mccinnis getting moc, and Milligan getting modp/mop though. The voting cfl media are the dumbest of the dumb. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Brady will at least get West MOP. Depending on how Montreal fares the last few weeks it's possible that Faj loses to Brady, but I still think he'll get the East MOP. 

I could see beverette getting mtls nod for mop. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

expect 1 jobbing a year when the riders make the play offs. 
 Ford/nichols should be the modp candidate from the west. Brady should be mop/moc. 
 I could see mccinnis getting moc, and Milligan getting modp/mop though. The voting cfl media are the dumbest of the dumb. 

I could see beverette getting mtls nod for mop. 

I think if BC was still rolling....and a force...McCinnis has right dropped off...as his team has tanked...BO has gotten better and can be argued is the reason for the turn around, and it has infected others play...he should be a slam dunk for Canadian and MOP outta the West...if he's not...its a crime....tho I am sure he will rather enjoy hoisting the Cup again tho.....but still be a crime....In a league that likes to promote their Canadians...some at naseum...to over look one 2 yrs running is a shame and I would even say a blackmark on the league

59 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think if BC was still rolling....and a force...McCinnis has right dropped off...as his team has tanked...BO has gotten better and can be argued is the reason for the turn around, and it has infected others play...he should be a slam dunk for Canadian and MOP outta the West...if he's not...its a crime....tho I am sure he will rather enjoy hoisting the Cup again tho.....but still be a crime....In a league that likes to promote their Canadians...some at naseum...to over look one 2 yrs running is a shame and I would even say a blackmark on the league

Yep, but farhan will be campaigning hard for him. I’m sure he already is. No one will be doing the same for Brady, who should’ve won last year too. 

30 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I expect BO gets screwed over in the MOP race again. I'm just hoping he makes up for it by leading us to a win in the 2024 Grey Cup where he is named MOP and Top Canadian.

this is my general expectation with these awards. And I’m ok with that, I’d rather us go into a gc pissed than high on adulation. 

4 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Thoughts go out to all Floridian CFL players and coaches who are away from families and property in central Florida. 

Particularly when governor of Florida is refusing to participate in federal relief aid because "It's political".

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Agreed, but I do wonder if shoring up the weak teams factors into the award decisions.

Awards voting should have a 20% contribution from fans, 20% from league media, 30% from football ops, and 30% from the pa. Teams and players can’t vote for their own guys. 
 Maybe have a group select the candidates from each team as well. Some former players/coaches, media types. Give them a mandate to select the top 10-12 candidates for each award across the league. So you don’t have guys being blocked by team mates.