CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

PJ Walker to Calgary. Interesting move. 

The story is he's a big time prospect. They said that it could be the biggest FA signing Dickenson has ever made. The problem is, he won't pick up the Canadian game with the snap of his fingers. Walker is 30. By the time he understands the CFL playbook & defenses he'll be 33/34 years old & time to retire. So, for me, if that's the projected Jake Maier replacement it's a ******* dumb signing.

6 hours ago, Booch said:

Was the refused to play story verified?....I find that hard to believe, and if it true...find it even harder to believe he still there...

I saw it on Saturday after the Elks-Rider game. I believe Jamie Nye tweeted it. Since then, silence by the Elks & also by Nye. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Awards voting should have a 20% contribution from fans, 20% from league media, 30% from football ops, and 30% from the pa. Teams and players can’t vote for their own guys. 
 Maybe have a group select the candidates from each team as well. Some former players/coaches, media types. Give them a mandate to select the top 10-12 candidates for each award across the league. So you don’t have guys being blocked by team mates. 

Problem with the above is that fans are idiots. 

And, players choose people trying to make bonuses or their friends. 

I would say the media would be the best choice but they're mostly idiots nowadays. 

OCs should vote on best defenders. DCs on offense. And, Head Coaches vote on MOP. Can't vote for your own players. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

I would say the media would be the best choice but they're mostly idiots nowadays. 

OCs should vote on best defenders. DCs on offense. And, Head Coaches vote on MOP. Can't vote for your own players. 

For sure, but tbh so are the media in the cfl. That’s why they get a less than majority vote. You have to have them involved really. Players will for sure be swayed by friendships. But I think that and the coaches will be the most honest appraisal. 
 I like the idea of ocs voting on D and dcs on O. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The story is he's a big time prospect. They said that it could be the biggest FA signing Dickenson has ever made. The problem is, he won't pick up the Canadian game with the snap of his fingers. Walker is 30. By the time he understands the CFL playbook & defenses he'll be 33/34 years old & time to retire. So, for me, if that's the projected Jake Maier replacement it's a ******* dumb signing.

I saw it on Saturday after the Elks-Rider game. I believe Jamie Nye tweeted it. Since then, silence by the Elks & also by Nye. 

Well, if true and the bombers want to take a flyer on him, the price just went way down.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Anyone who can say that Milligan is more deserving of MOP than Brady with a straight face has the football IQ of a peanut shell....and I might be giving them the benefit of the doubt with that comparison.

Oh they've got some doozies to argue it too.

12 hours ago, Tracker said:

Well, if true and the bombers want to take a flyer on him, the price just went way down.

FWIW, Ford is starting for the L's this week so if it did happen, there doesn't seem to be any hard feelings if they are willing to throw him back in there.

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Sounds along the lines of when the Argos brought Cleo Lemon in, except Walker is even older. 
I can’t see the Stampeders being foolish enough to believe PJ Walker is the answer at QB. If they are, yikes.
I’m serious when I say Calgary could be the next team to fold if their ownership and management can’t figure it out. No one’s going to games, and they’re not getting a new stadium anytime soon 

54 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Sounds along the lines of when the Argos brought Cleo Lemon in, except Walker is even older. 
I can’t see the Stampeders being foolish enough to believe PJ Walker is the answer at QB. If they are, yikes.
I’m serious when I say Calgary could be the next team to fold if their ownership and management can’t figure it out. No one’s going to games, and they’re not getting a new stadium anytime soon 

I get bringing in walker, and doing it now so he can be up to speed for tc next year. He’s got electric arm talent, and he’s a dynamic runner. Decision making and aggression hold him back.
 I question if he is really willing to put in the effort to become a cfl qb. Hes 30, he’s made a few million, he’s got his pension, he’s pretty well set. He isn’t going to get another nfl shot off the cfl if he’s in camp next year. He won’t get film this year from the stamps, maybe some one takes a flyer on him in an nfl camp next year though. 
 He has a lot of adjustments to make, and the stamps have to decide how much they will system plan for him. He really needs a lot of rpo, and high volume passing to succeed or have a chance. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Walker is the answer at QB. If they are, yikes

Well the douchebags on the radio morning show on my way into work were convinced he was the greatest thing to hit calgary maybe ever.

Walker may be a good signing for the Stamps...he is in his prime...has a lot of experience, and likely won't need a super long time to adapt to the game up here...he's no green horn...and if a stain like Kelly can do it...a high character guy, and one with his life in order surely can.

I see it as a guy who just wants to play, and put down some yrs in one spot....I hope he does well....also think he will too...can never have enough quality QB's and a guy with a winning NFL record with a couple teams, and been down there on rosters for the length he has obviously has serious upside...time will tell

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

Walker may be a good signing for the Stamps...he is in his prime...has a lot of experience, and likely won't need a super long time to adapt to the game up here...he's no green horn...and if a stain like Kelly can do it...a high character guy, and one with his life in order surely can.

I see it as a guy who just wants to play, and put down some yrs in one spot....I hope he does well....also think he will too...can never have enough quality QB's and a guy with a winning NFL record with a couple teams, and been down there on rosters for the length he has obviously has serious upside...time will tell

He can't be worse than "Maier of INT Town".

19 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

The worst part of this move, is that mccheese will be a FA this off season. And I could just see us bringing him in some how lol. 

Its a low risk high reward move for calgary. At this point they may as well swing for the fences. 

28 minutes ago, Booch said:

Predicting what QBs will adjust well/quick to the CFL is 50% alchemy 50% luck. Same with predicting who will turn the corner at the sophomore year and become a upper mid tier starter, or who will become and stay a top tier starter. He has the raw tools and the experience to do it. Most Qbs in the cfl aren't cerebral masters of reading/manipulating the D. It should be real fun to watch from the out side. 

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

When Jake Maier is the best in your QB stable you gotta turn over every stone looking for a new QB.

TBH I think half the league is in that boat. It's a horrid year for qbing in the CFL. 

18 hours ago, JCon said:

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I get bringing in walker, and doing it now so he can be up to speed for tc next year. He’s got electric arm talent, and he’s a dynamic runner. Decision making and aggression hold him back.
 I question if he is really willing to put in the effort to become a cfl qb. Hes 30, he’s made a few million, he’s got his pension, he’s pretty well set. He isn’t going to get another nfl shot off the cfl if he’s in camp next year. He won’t get film this year from the stamps, maybe some one takes a flyer on him in an nfl camp next year though. 
 He has a lot of adjustments to make, and the stamps have to decide how much they will system plan for him. He really needs a lot of rpo, and high volume passing to succeed or have a chance. 

If they’re trying to run the quick stuff McCheese does now, I don’t think it’s going to work out for them.
They’ll have to fundamentally re-design their offence, if in fact they’re going with Walker as the starter next year. 

19 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

If they’re trying to run the quick stuff McCheese does now, I don’t think it’s going to work out for them.
They’ll have to fundamentally re-design their offence, if in fact they’re going with Walker as the starter next year. 

well they 100% should. I think the word is out that CGYs current offense is a failure, 2 years running now.

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

DD is not a dumb football man and as former good/great CFL QB that he was, the situation with their QB talent is weird considering.

Maybe this was an outcome of him taking on way too much responsibility.