CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

42 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Walker has had success were ever he has played. I am see him being in the MBT level.

Thats a great comparison. Though walker has played a whole lot more at both the pro and college level. So it's likely he picks things up faster and or has more potential. Plus the mobility. 

I could see him going back south after this year though. That is a guy a bunch of teams could want in camp in the NFL. 

32 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Harris is 40. Zach is 35 36. MBT ain’t young. 30 isn’t that old for a QB. 

Harris and zach have a TON of wear for their ages. MBT, has remarkably low physical wear. But the ghosts of his ancestors rattling around that empty dome of his. Walker is some where in between. He hasn't seen as much action as harris and zach as a pro, but way more than mbt. 

If walker gets action this year or is in camp next year he will be one of the more interesting guys to watch, 

2 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Harris is an ancient decrepit old man!... realize I am older than him... stare our the window for a while.

We all need big stan to keep going for as long as possible, just for the mental health of the fans becoming old heads. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Harris and zach have a TON of wear for their ages. MBT, has remarkably low physical wear. 

Yeah, the Argos tend to have good OLs, more often than not.  I guess he's one of the beneficiaries

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Yeah, the Argos tend to have good OLs, more often than not.  I guess he's one of the beneficiaries

To an extent yeah, but also he barely played in college and in his many years in the nfl. 
 Mbt is 36 and has played a total of 70 games. Mccheese is 27 and played in 56. Fajardo is 32 and he’s played 114. Bo has 176 at 34. 
 Over 5 years of college mbt only played 55 games including plenty of back up time. Even a 2 year starter in hs. BLM played more hs and college games than mbt has since hs combined. It’s pretty wild really. 

21 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Sounds along the lines of when the Argos brought Cleo Lemon in, except Walker is even older. 
I can’t see the Stampeders being foolish enough to believe PJ Walker is the answer at QB. If they are, yikes.
I’m serious when I say Calgary could be the next team to fold if their ownership and management can’t figure it out. No one’s going to games, and they’re not getting a new stadium anytime soon 

Someone will buy the team. If the fans knew ownership cared then they would too. However, Murray Edwards has alienated the entire city not just with his indifference to the Stamps but the same with the Flames. Even if an ownership change happened, it'd take years to get the fans back to McMahon. 

21 hours ago, GCn20 said:

PJ Walker represents a bonafide chance at moving on from McCheese. I would be excited if I were a Stamps fan.

Living here in Calgary as I do, I'm sure  others here on this forum that do as well would concur that Stamps fans are not excited about Walker. They aren't even curious. To them, it's just another stupid Dickenson move to bring a qb in now at this time when it;s too late with just 2 games left in a disastrous season. At his age (30) & lack of CFL experience everyone knows it'll take years for him to learn the Canadian game.

The backlash against Dave is certainly real as he stuck with Maier every week for much too long going back to 2023. Even playing Logan Bonner, the rookie was perceived as Dickenson's way of saying "Eff You" to the fanbase. As in, there you wanted a change. You got it & see? Bonner threw 5 picks. He's not even close to being ready. Now STFU as I know better than all of you." Thing is, it just exposed how bad things at QB were behind Maier. When Schilz injured his ankle in practice 2 months ago, no effort was made to bring in another qb with experience. When Schilz was healthy before his injury, Dave refused to play him making fans question why Dickenson signed him in the first place. He was seen as being stubborn in his refusal to play Schilz.

The few thousand fans that are left & who still care about this team are pissed off & are leaving in droves. My friend who has been a Stamps STH for 34 years had had enough of Murray Edwards' bad ownership & a stubborn Dickenson. He says he won't be renewing. He sat through the F Troop Years & he feels this is worse as there's no hope. You hear a lot of that. That there's no hope. As long as ownership doesn't sell the team & allows it to waste away. The team has been bludgeoned to death.

This is how bad it is for the Stamps. They used to have 30,000 season ticket holders twenty years ago & over time the number has been eroding to where it's now just 1/10th of what it was back then. For this year's LDC, the team was tweeting out on X.... "OMG, Section C is sold out. Let's see if we can sell out Section D". Then a couple of days later. "OMG, Section F is sold out. can we sell out Section G?" And so on, blah, blah, blah. It just looked so amateurish. They ended up with 28,000 at the game which was the best crowd hands down of 2024 but still one of the worst crowds in LD history with the Elks. A full 7,000 under capacity & an embarassment to the CFL & the City of Calgary.

Are Stamps fans are excited about an old UFL qb? Nope.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The few thousand fans that are left & who still care about this team are pissed off & are leaving in droves. My friend who has been a Stamps STH for 34 years had had enough of Murray Edwards' bad ownership & a stubborn Dickenson. He says he won't be renewing. He sat through the F Troop Years & he feels this is worse as there's no hope. You hear a lot of that. That there's no hope. As long as ownership doesn't sell the team & allows it to waste away. The team has been bludgeoned to death.

Are Stamps fans are excited about an old UFL qb? Nope.

I haven’t spent a lot of time out there recently, but when I was (mid 00’s) there was a clear pecking order of 1. Hockey 2. NFL and 3. CFL

I was pretty young at the time (late teens/early 20s)  but the general feel seemed to be “Calgary’s the best, Stamps are the best” when the team was winning and “F the Stamps, CFL is bush league” when they weren’t.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I can’t imagine the mentality has changed much for the under 40 crowd. 

It’s not going to be a quick fix for that ownership/management group, if they can even fix it at this point.  It’s going to take new ownership and probably a new stadium to get that franchise back on track. 

The stamps are a subsidiary afterthought to an NHL club which is also ran on the cheap. I wouldn’t have any hope either if I lived there.  

It’s sad, I always kind of thought of the prairie teams as siblings of sorts.
IMO the 4 clubs are the backbone of the league, hate to see the state of both Alberta teams (though Edmonton took a step forward this year) 

Edmonton will come back without problems if they fix their ****. Calgary has always had the issue of only wanting to support "the best" it really is more like a redneck Toronto. With absentee ownership who really doesn't care to do anything the stamps are probably the biggest looming problem for the league.

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Calgary is more like a redneck Toronto. 

This. They think they're a world class city that deserves all the "major" sports and events. As with Toronto, they believe CFL is below them. Honestly there's probably more UFC fans than CFL fans in that city. 

https://3downnation.com/2024/10/11/elks-qb-mcleod-bethel-thompson-receives-third-fine-for-bringing-the-league-into-disrepute-after-cfl-officiating-criticism/

I don’t love the nut ball. And I get why the league has to fine him, but he hasn’t been wrong. So he sure as hell isn’t bringing the league into disrepute. The officiating, command centre, scheduling, supplemental punishment, and consistency in all those areas has drug the league down into the mud.