CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, bluto said:

You don't have to like him, but saying that he deserves to be fouled, in a sport where fouls can be life altering, is a bad look.

Sure absolutely and its also a bad look to minimize bad behaviour, ignore bad behaviour, whatabout bad behaviour and use big words to deflect away from bad behaviour.

But hey its important that we all have freedom of speech to offer up our wisdom.

Argos suck.

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Sure absolutely and its also a bad look to minimize bad behaviour, ignore bad behaviour, whatabout bad behaviour and use big words to deflect away from bad behaviour.

But hey its important that we all have freedom of speech to offer up our wisdom.

Argos suck.

can be said what Kelly did...and others like him can cause life altering effects on their victims too

when it mattered tho..Kelly looked like complete crap in playoffs...I expect much the same again

1 minute ago, Booch said:

can be said what Kelly did...and others like him can cause life altering effects on their victims too

when it mattered tho..Kelly looked like complete crap in playoffs...I expect much the same again

Yea and I can only speak for myself but if Kelly had been in a Blue and Gold uniform I'd absolutely come in hot on him. Sports is a far second to this ****.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

If we were to play a 80 percent 2 back set with BO and even another bruiser, and a true tight end type who is used on release passes and streaks and slants...and just beat the crap outta of a defense and took shots with the receivers when it was there....good luck with that with a lot of the undersized defenses

I’m hoping some thing like that is in our future with mci and clercius. If we could add a legit te to that, or just run a 6th ol, good luck stopping it. 

54 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

All time greats generally would be great in any era. Some would even excel more now. Example, NBA, Larry Bird, the way the game is played now and his skill set his numbers are better. Essentially a better Doncic or Jokic.

I think that’s mostly true, save for positions with massive physical transformations. If you were a great ol in the 60s- early 80s, you might simply be too small to play today. 240-260lbs inside is gonna get abused. 
 A bunch of big men in the nba wouldn’t make it today with floor spreading, and the emphasis on range both offensively and defensively. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

I’m hoping some thing like that is in our future with mci and clercius. If we could add a legit te to that, or just run a 6th ol, good luck stopping it. 

I was gonna say...season up MCI a bit....Use Big Kev as a true tight end and not just as a edge blocker.....and brutalize a defense...over and over with the ground and short attack.....basically tenderize them for the big bites down the field....I'd also between the 45's just play snot slobbering 3 down ball and wear em out until they show they can stop it. Have and show faith in that defense that if they do get the odd stop....it's to no avail and they punting it back

I like how Hamilton actually uses their big global guy Robinson as a prototypical TE....when teams know the guy is out there and and actual option in the pass game, as well as a run blocker...it opens thigs up so much more as he has to be accounted for by a cover guy

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

I have also pondered this. Defences seem to have gotten quicker and smaller, what would a "bruising offence" look like against modern CFL defences.

How would a physical big oline with a 6th/TE type (think Willy J type size) and a true FB with a guy like Brady look? Could they overpower and wear out modern day CFL defences?  The TE would need to able to at least add some receiving ability, and the FB would need to be able to pound the ball, they couldn't just be blockers....but with all the programs around the globe a few of those guys have to exist. It would still leave 3 true receivers even with the "heavy" sets.

Perhaps I am wrong as no one is trying it, but I think a set up like that could counter the speed and smaller size of modern day defences....I would say scoring is down QB play perhaps is down overall, and defences seem to keep getting lighter and faster at some point offences need to try something to counter that

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

Name 5 other CFL qbs from the 90's that had significant careers in the NFL?   

If we were able to time warp current QB's with their current knowledge and athletic abilities and training back to the mid 90's then yes I think a large amount of them would of excelled in the CFL back then.    Some may have even excelled in the NFL,   heck Strelever ,  Rourke,  MBT,  all had time in the NFL and all three of them are current CFL back ups.  

I don't think Doug Flutie from 1996 tossing shovel passes would do well at all in the current CFL.   Prime Flutie wouldn't get a sniff in the current NFL also. 

Different eras,  Flutie played in a time where the CFL had a far lower level of talent/athletes.   Current CFL is light years ahead in quality of talent and athletes so it is so much harder these days to put up big numbers on a consistent basis. 

Well, I could transfer Warren Moon into the 90s.

Look, I am not disputing any of that. But I think guys like Flutie, with the training available now, would be able to make effective reads and plays against current defenses. Then there's Burris, McManus, etc. who played the same type of football in both eras.

1 hour ago, bluto said:

You don't have to like him, but saying that he deserves to be fouled, in a sport where fouls can be life altering, is a bad look.

Not as bad a look as being a sex offender. If Kelly was even a little bit willing to quit acting like the pond scum that he is, I might be more inclined to not want to treat him like pond scum. I really have no use for the guy, and really wish the CFL would have had the balls to stand behind it's violence against women stance and get rid of him. Had he been on any other team they may have. Read the room here. Hoping a perv like Kelly gets his just desserts is not the bad look around here that you think it is.

Edited by GCn20

53 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

I have also pondered this. Defences seem to have gotten quicker and smaller, what would a "bruising offence" look like against modern CFL defences.

How would a physical big oline with a 6th/TE type (think Willy J type size) and a true FB with a guy like Brady look? Could they overpower and wear out modern day CFL defences?  The TE would need to able to at least add some receiving ability, and the FB would need to be able to pound the ball, they couldn't just be blockers....but with all the programs around the globe a few of those guys have to exist. It would still leave 3 true receivers even with the "heavy" sets.

Perhaps I am wrong as no one is trying it, but I think a set up like that could counter the speed and smaller size of modern day defences....I would say scoring is down QB play perhaps is down overall, and defences seem to keep getting lighter and faster at some point offences need to try something to counter that

I believe it would do well...and at some point again things will morph a bit toward that...or one team will go with that approach and teams will have to scheme and roster to stop it.

48 minutes ago, Booch said:

I believe it would do well...and at some point again things will morph a bit toward that...or one team will go with that approach and teams will have to scheme and roster to stop it.

It'd be interesting for sure. OL would need to get much better, and fullback couldn't be just an afterthought. 

1 hour ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

I think going true heavy in a 21/22/12 personnel group base would work even better because teams aren’t out digging up those guys for that system. Every one is looking for the same qb WRs etc. breaking the mold would be insanely beneficial imo. 
 CFL offences are just stuck in this awful rut these days. And with almost no distinctive coaching lineages no one wants to risk going out of their comfort zone. 
Maybe beau Baldwin in Calgary will bring a breath of fresh air to the cfl offensive game when he eventually moves up from qb coach. 

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Well, I could transfer Warren Moon into the 90s.

Look, I am not disputing any of that. But I think guys like Flutie, with the training available now, would be able to make effective reads and plays against current defenses. Then there's Burris, McManus, etc. who played the same type of football in both eras.

But he didn't and he played against inferior talent.  That's my point it is harder these days to put up those gaudy numbers and when a guy like Kelly is putting up better then Flutie numbers that is a huge accomplishment and *IF* he continues at this pace then Kelly surely would be a HOF'er.     I don't think he will but if he does then I'd have zero issues of him being in the HOF and considered greater then Flutie.  

7 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I can show you some absolutely god awful goaltending in the current nhl right now.... seriously go have a look at the top point seasons in the NHL... it might open your eyes. It's all Gretzky and lemieux... and then it's a pretty cross generational snapshot. Not everyone was putting up those numbers, 2 guys were. I mean Gretzky as an old man with a crippled back in the height of the dead puck era was putting up over a ppg.... Mario unretired from cancer and clowned the rest od the league in the dead luck era. 

Has overall depth of talent improved across sports? Yup, has training ans nutrition and probably most importantly medical treatment for injuries improved? Again it sure has.... but the best talents are still the best talents and era doesn't change that. Drop a prime flutie into the cfl today he would still rip the league a new *******.

Lol you are crazy.   You clearly have not watched the NHL from the 80's.     You are saying that the play of NHL goalies in the 80's is superior to the god awful goaltending in the current NHL?    Seriously that is even loonier then the worst of Riderfans.com.     

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Lol you are crazy.   You clearly have not watched the NHL from the 80's.     You are saying that the play of NHL goalies in the 80's is superior to the god awful goaltending in the current NHL?    Seriously that is even loonier then the worst of Riderfans.com.     

Why are you the way you are?

Love you.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Not every Goalie is JS Giguere wearing mattresses for pads these days... there's a lot of **** goaltending in the nhl on a nightly basis right now. People are overly critical of the older Goalie because they see highlight reels of shitty goals, but you can watch highlight reels of shitty goals now too. 

18 hours ago, Brandon said:

Name 5 other CFL qbs from the 90's that had significant careers in the NFL?   

If we were able to time warp current QB's with their current knowledge and athletic abilities and training back to the mid 90's then yes I think a large amount of them would of excelled in the CFL back then.    Some may have even excelled in the NFL,   heck Strelever ,  Rourke,  MBT,  all had time in the NFL and all three of them are current CFL back ups.  

I don't think Doug Flutie from 1996 tossing shovel passes would do well at all in the current CFL.   Prime Flutie wouldn't get a sniff in the current NFL also. 

Different eras,  Flutie played in a time where the CFL had a far lower level of talent/athletes.   Current CFL is light years ahead in quality of talent and athletes so it is so much harder these days to put up big numbers on a consistent basis. 

You don't think Flutie tossing shovel passed would do well in today's CFL??? WTH??? Who out of maybe Collaros. Kelly & Adams would have started in 1994 with Dunigan throwing for 713 yards. Flutie, Austin, Dunigan & David Archer all throwing for over 6,000 yards. Then there was up & comers Jeff Garcia & Dave Dickenson. Yep, all they did was chuck shovel passes.

Name me one qb from this era that has had significant playing time in the NFL??? You mentioned Streveler who hung around because of hius athletic ability not because he had the sbility to be a starter. he bounced around like a tennis ball from team to team. Nathan Rourke was chrwed up & spit out by the NFL. But his egos is so big he'll probably try it again with the same results. 

Why are we even debating this?? Holy ****, do some of us have such bad memories thinking this era of football was better than 30 years ago? 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You don't think Flutie tossing shovel passed would do well in today's CFL??? WTH??? Who out of maybe Collaros. Kelly & Adams would have started in 1994 with Dunigan throwing for 713 yards. Flutie, Austin, Dunigan & David Archer all throwing for over 6,000 yards. Then there was up & comers Jeff Garcia & Dave Dickenson. Yep, all they did was chuck shovel passes.

Name me one qb from this era that has had significant playing time in the NFL??? You mentioned Streveler who hung around because of hius athletic ability not because he had the sbility to be a starter. he bounced around like a tennis ball from team to team. Nathan Rourke was chrwed up & spit out by the NFL. But his egos is so big he'll probably try it again with the same results. 

Why are we even debating this?? Holy ****, do some of us have such bad memories thinking this era of football was better than 30 years ago? 

Somebody has to wake up the old folks who are living in the past and thinking that the game is the same as back then.  It's embarrassing for them to live in such delusions. 

It is more fun to watch old hockey and football because of the high scoring and far larger margin of blown coverage and misses.       It's just hilarious to me that people are so simple that they think that the players of yester-year could compete in todays game.   

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Not every Goalie is JS Giguere wearing mattresses for pads these days... there's a lot of **** goaltending in the nhl on a nightly basis right now. People are overly critical of the older Goalie because they see highlight reels of shitty goals, but you can watch highlight reels of shitty goals now too. 

Stop embarrassing yourself,  it's sad.   Join this conversation once you watch some 1980's hockey.   You clearly have not.        

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Somebody has to wake up the old folks who are living in the past and thinking that the game is the same as back then.  It's embarrassing for them to live in such delusions. 

It is more fun to watch old hockey and football because of the high scoring and far larger margin of blown coverage and misses.       It's just hilarious to me that people are so simple that they think that the players of yester-year could compete in todays game.   

Stop embarrassing yourself,  it's sad.   Join this conversation once you watch some 1980's hockey.   You clearly have not.        

We're having a conversation? All you're doing is going "LOL old sports are bad"

21 hours ago, bb1 said:

I don't blame younger viewers for not appreciating Flutie's incredible talent. It's like watching vintage Gretzky. You had to be there to appreciate their vision and innate six sense. I will always remember Flutie escaping at the last minute and somehow finding an open player or killing us with a Qb sneak. Without a doubt the best Qb to play in the CFL. If he would of been taller we never would of seen him in the CFL.

Flutie might as well have been a God when it came to the CFL. Bad games simply did not exist for him. An absolute assassin on the field.

57 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I think you could make the case the goalies were better in the 80s despite their GAA and save percentages. They wore less padding. Todays 5 foot 5 Jesse saros looks like 6 foot 3 goalie did in the 80s, hell saros with equipment looks bigger still. I played. I was actually tall for a tender 6 4 without skates. I didn’t take up the room a 5 foot 10 goalie does today just by standing there and I played more in the 2000s and late 90s never mind the 80s. Goalie gear is insane today. 

Edited by Goalie