CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I’m still delusional and think we’re going to bring in Oakman, between him, Jefferson, and Adam’s that would be a scary unit with some potential.

Enjoy the delusion while you can my friend, I wish I had one haha. I dont think we will see any impactful changes for a couple more weeks unless the old boys club all get stuck in the tub. 

3 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

It would give us some much needed depth too.  Between Fox, Haba, Garbutt & Lawson, we are running very low on starting caliber DL.

QFT. 

Up next in the transaction page, Blue bombers sign DE Damian Jackson. 

27 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Damn thats a good get for them. 

With all the injuries we easily couldve added a guy like that. Namely lawsons 6 game money. 

yup...missed the boat there

22 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

It would give us some much needed depth too.  Between Fox, Haba, Garbutt & Lawson, we are running very low on starting caliber DL.

as we have zero...and we had some guys here who showed some promise/upside...with Upshaw and Rivers...yet we bring in a guy who was hurt...and was able to show nothing in camp and had zero work, but the guys who actually played and would be closer to game shape...we pass on

18 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I’m still delusional and think we’re going to bring in Oakman, between him, Jefferson, and Adam’s that would be a scary unit with some potential.

They need an impactful DE more than a DT, if there's money to spend I'd go after AC Leonard to bookend and revive Willie.

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

They need an impactful DE more than a DT, if there's money to spend I'd go after AC Leonard to bookend and revive Willie.

Keep in mind, we are now more of a 30 front team than a 40 front team. Oakman can play some end in limited reps out of a 40 set, or extensively play a 3/ 4I. It wouldn't be hard with adams also able to play any position in a 30 or 40 front for a decent chunk of the defensive reps to use oakman. 

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Keep in mind, we are now more of a 30 front team than a 40 front team. Oakman can play some end in limited reps out of a 40 set, or extensively play a 3/ 4I. It wouldn't be hard with adams also able to play any position in a 30 or 40 front for a decent chunk of the defensive reps to use oakman. 

Oakman all things considered would be a solid addition to what we currently have with WJ....Adams and now Woods. Would allow us to do a lot of different things and be an very active front

Factor in the return hopefully sooner than later of Garbutt....and Fox...as I assume Haba is done for the yr, and a front with heavy rotation oF multiple combo's and looks of WJ..Adams..Garbutt..Fox..Woods and Oakman plus whatever Canadians not named Thomas would give us something up front we havnt seen here since 2019....and we can easily roster that....if you know who chooses to

Edited by Booch

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The LB crew isn't that powerful a group, I'd question the effectiveness of that layout without anyone resembling any of the following on the current staff.

Tyrone Jones, James West, Greg Battle, Paul Randolph, Delbert Fowler

48 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

The LB crew isn't that powerful a group, I'd question the effectiveness of that layout without anyone resembling any of the following on the current staff.

Tyrone Jones, James West, Greg Battle, Paul Randolph, Delbert Fowler

I don’t agree that the lbers are the issue. Our lber use sure is. 
 3-4 is better suited to the cfl, and it isn’t like the golden days of the lber. Lbers are not a dominating position. 
 The advantages of the 30 in the cfl isn’t the extra lber, it’s most often an extra db on the field at wil any way. The advantage comes from better inside gap cancellation, easier run fits with out the hb/s, disguised pressure, better show and drops, better coverage rotations with more options, and the ability to create pressure opportunities while reducing doubles on guys like wj. 

15 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Interesting concept but I have zero faith in the CFL or Genius Sports to pull this off properly.

https://3downnation.com/2024/06/18/cfl-touts-new-augmented-live-streams-on-tsn-powered-by-genius-sports/

That does look really cool great to see some of that trickle down from the nfl. I’d love it if we could customize that stuff. Like I don’t need the name tags but the other stuff is sweet. I’d also kill for wide field angles like the teams get for film study.  

You’re right though, 0% confidence they pull it off. 

10 hours ago, Booch said:

Oakman all things considered would be a solid addition to what we currently have with WJ....Adams and now Woods. Would allow us to do a lot of different things and be an very active front

Factor in the return hopefully sooner than later of Garbutt....and Fox...as I assume Haba is done for the yr, and a front with heavy rotation oF multiple combo's and looks of WJ..Adams..Garbutt..Fox..Woods and Oakman plus whatever Canadians not named Thomas would give us something up front we havnt seen here since 2019....and we can easily roster that....if you know who chooses to

We don't pick up other team's cuts even if we know they can help us. I'm absolutely confounded how badly run this team has become.

2 hours ago, BBlink said:

Really cool but I feel like it's just a stepping stone to displaying prop bets and other gambling related features on the screen. And im simply not a fan.

I hope that doesn’t happen too. If any thing I think the live tv feed will go that way in time. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We don't pick up other team's cuts even if we know they can help us. I'm absolutely confounded how badly run this team has become.

We used to. As much as we don’t get the 2019 GC without the Collaros trade, I don’t think we see it without bringing in Nick Taylor and Mercy Maston either. 

I think they buggered the cap the last 2-3 years, they haven’t brought anyone helpful in mid-season since 2022, coincidentally when they signed Zach to that huge deal. 

We’re in the trap that the 2000s Bombers fell into. Paying 5-6 guys the lions share, too many of whom are past their prime. 

We also have a lot of guys that have slipped into C/D grade players due to age that are still getting B+ roles/money. Your Thomas‘, your a Neufelds and the like. That’s not how a football team with a salary cap should be built at this point. 
You can’t have both those scenarios simultaneously and win games. 

We don’t know who has input into what exactly, and MOS had been the lightning rod, but he and Walters wear this equally now imo. 

30 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

We used to. As much as we don’t get the 2019 GC without the Collaros trade, I don’t think we see it without bringing in Nick Taylor and Mercy Maston either. 

I think they buggered the cap the last 2-3 years, they haven’t brought anyone helpful in mid-season since 2022, coincidentally when they signed Zach to that huge deal. 

We’re in the trap that the 2000s Bombers fell into. Paying 5-6 guys the lions share, too many of whom are past their prime. 

We also have a lot of guys that have slipped into C/D grade players due to age that are still getting B+ roles/money. Your Thomas‘, your a Neufelds and the like. That’s not how a football team with a salary cap should be built at this point. 
You can’t have both those scenarios simultaneously and win games. 

We don’t know who has input into what exactly, and MOS had been the lightning rod, but he and Walters wear this equally now imo. 

yes....and no......we have brought in talent...especially this yr to really infuse youth/talent/hunger and we sent em packing. That part is on Osh

Walter's tho either agreed to Osh requests....or on his own seen it as prudent to bring back some aged out and declining talent vets. iF He doesnt re-sign a Thomas....Kolo...Biggie (tho him back as a role guy paid accordingly would have been fine) and a handful of other players....Have that talk to ZC about a re-do that helps we would be in a totally different spot.

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

yes....and no......we have brought in talent...especially this yr to really infuse youth/talent/hunger and we sent em packing. That part is on Osh

Walter's tho either agreed to Osh requests....or on his own seen it as prudent to bring back some aged out and declining talent vets. iF He doesnt re-sign a Thomas....Kolo...Biggie (tho him back as a role guy paid accordingly would have been fine) and a handful of other players....Have that talk to ZC about a re-do that helps we would be in a totally different spot.

Yeah that’s kind of the point I was trying to make. If Osh likes his guys fine, but who’s in charge here? 

Bolded part is exactly why I believe both of them wear this decline to an extent, if not equally. 

10 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Yeah that’s kind of the point I was trying to make. If Osh likes his guys fine, but who’s in charge here? 

Bolded part is exactly why I believe both of them wear this decline to an extent, if not equally. 

yup...was in total agreement....and like you said...It's time for Walter's to be the boss....and in turn for Osh to start actually coaching again 

7 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I've complained about MOS but as far as I know he didn't hold a gun to Walters head and force him to sign Thomas, Biggie, Alexander, Wilson, Kolo, Augustine....

all the guys mentioned tho had legit competition and beter talent in camp....Osh tho did chose to keep them unfortunately but not surprisingly....but again....you are correct....He was supplied with the players.....not giving him the opportunity to keep them may have been the better avenue to take...100 percent

In my opinion, Walters can only step in once it is abundantly clear that O'Shea has lost the plot.  A good manager lets his people do the job he's paying them to do, and would only step in if his subordinate is floundering and doesn't seem able to get his/her footing and move forward.  O'Shea, in my view, isn't there yet.  We went to the Cup last year, only two head coaches in the league can say that.  So if Walters brought in talent but O'Shea believes that the people he's selected are the best team that they can put forward, then let him do his job.  If by midseason we're at still struggling, then it would be fair to sit him down and ask him what has gone wrong.  Right now he can say that despite the questionable pre-season prep, injuries and Zac needing to "recalibrate" are the main reasons for the slow start.  As we move forward, those excuses will fall away.  At that point, Walters can call him in and give him the "What are you thinking?" speech.

5 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

In my opinion, Walters can only step in once it is abundantly clear that O'Shea has lost the plot.  A good manager lets his people do the job he's paying them to do, and would only step in if his subordinate is floundering and doesn't seem able to get his/her footing and move forward.  O'Shea, in my view, isn't there yet.  We went to the Cup last year, only two head coaches in the league can say that.  So if Walters brought in talent but O'Shea believes that the people he's selected are the best team that they can put forward, then let him do his job.  If by midseason we're at still struggling, then it would be fair to sit him down and ask him what has gone wrong.  Right now he can say that despite the questionable pre-season prep, injuries and Zac needing to "recalibrate" are the main reasons for the slow start.  As we move forward, those excuses will fall away.  At that point, Walters can call him in and give him the "What are you thinking?" speech.

This is it, Bombers as a whole are more patient that fans. And given the number of wins and a couple close plays here and there from 4 time champs (regardless of everything being said on here) is a very easy sell for management to give more rope to people. 

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Didn't they just sign a guy who was a Edm LB? 

15 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I can see it happening a bit early than the mid point if things are turned around. If they get to 0-5 I would expect there to be some changes.

13 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Didn't they just sign a guy who was a Edm LB? 

I can see it happening a bit early than the mid point if things are turned around. If they get to 0-5 I would expect there to be some changes.

Yes - Tony Jones but he hasn't played yet.  They also added Bailey Feltmate (Hamilton cut) the same day as Jones.  Feltmate was in the line-up against Ottawa.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You’re getting consumed by negativity. We pick up other team’s cuts all the time. We did it this year already.

sometimes tho we pick up the other teams slugs tho.....where have we seen the ....Pick up say Mason Bennett and drop a Thomas....Nat for a Nat...One being younger and better....the other not?....thats just one example...We wont do it...well...Osh wont