Week 1. Revenge of the Darkside

1 minute ago, Booch said:

last 2 actually

nd it's funny...In his June 3rd presser he claims Sl Couture won't put a guy out there who isnt able to do his job and is 100 percent...well I guess he over ruled him in Grey Cup last yr...as 4 guys for sure didn't fit that mindset....But hey he's Mike Oshea....won lota games...been to Grey Cup 4 yrs running...well we lost the last 2 running for a lack of a better word due to stupidity, and piss poor rotering/depth

Its true, but I don't know how last years is soo easily washed away for most people on here. The previous year we got beat by a really good Tor team, with tremendous coaching. last year we got beat by Fajardo and Maas. We didn't get out coached, we didn't get beat by competitive talent. We skuttled our own ship. Funny thing is, if it happens again or things go upside down, all these people will jump on the bandwagon and pretend they were on it the whole time. Just like they did for a couple monthes after the GC loss lol. 

7 minutes ago, Jesse said:

And he made the roster.

Yet here we are again. Hearing the complaints that the coaches are making the wrong choices. 

he did this yr...last yr you know he wouldnt have...We had Thomas...incumbant Walker who was just basically handed the job prior to camp....saying that he would have been kept on those factors alone you would just be a flat out liar....trying to support your narrative and debunk others

Let me ask you this...when assessing a Dline man...and straight up interior guy...a multi technique guy...what do you look for or want to see to dictate who you would keep...I am generally curious

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

last 2 actually

nd it's funny...In his June 3rd presser he claims Sl Couture won't put a guy out there who isnt able to do his job and is 100 percent...well I guess he over ruled him in Grey Cup last yr...as 4 guys for sure didn't fit that mindset....But hey he's Mike Oshea....won lota games...been to Grey Cup 4 yrs running...well we lost the last 2 running for a lack of a better word due to stupidity, and piss poor rotering/depth

my complaint isn't about last year. It's that guys are already writing thursday off as a loss. it's ******* weird. Say what you want about the GC games. But no team has won more regular season games than the Bombers in almost a decade. Thursday isn't a grey cup. It's week 1. How have week 1 games gone the past few years? Someone want to remind me?

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

my complaint isn't about last year. It's that guys are already writing thursday off as a loss. it's ******* weird. Say what you want about the GC games. But no team has won more regular season games than the Bombers in almost a decade. Thursday isn't a grey cup. It's week 1. How have week 1 games gone the past few years? Someone want to remind me?

you should email MOS so you can tell him how to do his job pal.

oh I'm not writing Thursday off....my only gripe is rostering Thomas likely ahead of some young talent who would only help us...he isnt the future here...he's not even a key part of the now...why dress him...we have better options...but we all know why he will be dressed and it rhymes with Okay

And saying that reps in training camp...even 1 series especiually at home when travel wasnt an issue should have been used....I'm not worried about Mtl in the least...I am expecting a beat down

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

you should email MOS so you can tell him how to do his job pal.

be fun...but he's too smug to offer an legit answer...so what would be the point ahahahah

Just now, Booch said:

oh I'm not writing Thursday off....my only gripe is rostering Thomas likely ahead of some young talent who would only help us...he isnt the future here...he's not even a key part of the now...why dress him...we have better options...but we all know why he will be dressed and it rhymes with Okay

And saying that reps in training camp...even 1 series especiually at home when travel wasnt an issue should have been used....I'm not worried about Mtl in the least...I am expecting a beat down

I wasn't talking about you directly. I too would have liked to see some starters play last week. But I'm not going to jump on them for not doing it. I trust those guys know what they need and when they need it. 100% i think if any of the guys who didn't play really wanted to, they would have.

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Doesn’t he make a point tho. 

You can all choose who you wish to engage with.  You also have an option to ignore posters.

Self moderation is a wonderful tool and if we can't have a conversation without getting too far into the weeds it's a damned shame (especially when the season is right around the corner).

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I wasn't talking about you directly. I too would have liked to see some starters play last week. But I'm not going to jump on them for not doing it. I trust those guys know what they need and when they need it. 100% i think if any of the guys who didn't play really wanted to, they would have.

No, you were building a strawman argument. Because no one wrote off this game. I implied I expect a struggle on the first drive with all the change over and rust, and that if we start 11+ Canadians we deserve what we get. I don't trust players to make the right choices, we saw biggie and BA play when they shouldn't, amongst others last year. That's why we have training staffs and coaches. Players can seldom make those kinds of decisions objectively. The nature of TCs today don't come close to replicating game action either, it's not a good tool for how a guy feels or how ready they are. 

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Its true, but I don't know how last years is soo easily washed away for most people on here. The previous year we got beat by a really good Tor team, with tremendous coaching. last year we got beat by Fajardo and Maas. We didn't get out coached, we didn't get beat by competitive talent. We skuttled our own ship. Funny thing is, if it happens again or things go upside down, all these people will jump on the bandwagon and pretend they were on it the whole time. Just like they did for a couple monthes after the GC loss lol. 

You do understand that it's possible to not like one thing, but still be optimistic about something else?

And when things do go upside down, we will all get to say "hey way to go wwbfan!! You did it!! You got it right!! Yay for you!!"

What will you say to use when they win the GC?

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

No, you were building a strawman argument. Because no one wrote off this game. I implied I expect a struggle on the first drive with all the change over and rust, and that if we start 11+ Canadians we deserve what we get. I don't trust players to make the right choices, we saw biggie and BA play when they shouldn't, amongst others last year. That's why we have training staffs and coaches. Players can seldom make those kinds of decisions objectively. The nature of TCs today don't come close to replicating game action either, it's not a good tool for how a guy feels or how ready they are. 

Yes you were crapping on a depth chart you haven't seen and complaining about roster management that hasn't happened. You've even complained about another GC loss and how fans will jump on the doom and gloom bandwagon in November.

I'm not writing off Thursday as a loss.  I will however be unhappy if the O is out of synch and we give away a game that we should of won because some guys were shaking off the rust.   

If the mindset is treating the first few weeks as an extended pre season and not putting as much weight on losing the first few games... that is a risk that I'm not a fan of,

If 8 teams out of 9 are giving starters some reps in pre season and if 8 teams out of 9 are not using additional Canucks for no real reason... I refuse to believe that O'Shea is the only smart guy who has it figured out while everyone else is behind.   I know his track record gives him the benefit of the doubt but these are a few things that had a new coach implemented we would be much more vocal with the complaints.   

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

You do understand that it's possible to not like one thing, but still be optimistic about something else?

And when things do go upside down, we will all get to say "hey way to go wwbfan!! You did it!! You got it right!! Yay for you!!"

You mean like every single post about our DL? Or young NI OL? Or scouting this season? 

Have you ever seen me make a eat some crow post? Clearly I'm not motivated by that. 

The same thing I said previously, probably. How tall would you like to build the strawman?

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

If we win the Cup this yr...I will go on record saying it was because we had a depp defensive front with a minimum of 7 guys...all worthy to be on roster due to talent...not nationality or tenure, and we will not dress any player ....in a key spot thats less than 80% as by that time only about 15% off guys will be 100%, and nobody is dressed who doesnt need to bring a helmet...because they didnt touch the field

We do that...we win...and sadly if we adhered to that....it would be our 5th win in a row...regardless if a bounce had went this way or that way in the last 2...those bounces would have been irrelevant

So taking 4 cups out of 6 after next yr will suit me just fine all warts considered

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I'm not writing off Thursday as a loss.  I will however be unhappy if the O is out of synch and we give away a game that we should of won because some guys were shaking off the rust.   

If the mindset is treating the first few weeks as an extended pre season and not putting as much weight on losing the first few games... that is a risk that I'm not a fan of,

If 8 teams out of 9 are giving starters some reps in pre season and if 8 teams out of 9 are not using additional Canucks for no real reason... I refuse to believe that O'Shea is the only smart guy who has it figured out while everyone else is behind.   I know his track record gives him the benefit of the doubt but these are a few things that had a new coach implemented we would be much more vocal with the complaints.   

That's all fair. However, if 1 coach has more regular season wins than the other 8 going on years and years now. Maybe he does have it figured out?

Just now, Booch said:

If we win the Cup this yr...I will go on record saying it was because we had a depp defensive front with a minimum of 7 guys...all worthy to be on roster due to talent...not nationality or tenure, and we will not dress any player ....in a key spot thats less than 80% as by that time only about 15% off guys will be 100%, and nobody is dressed who doesnt need to bring a helmet...because they didnt touch the field

We do that...we win...and sadly if we adhered to that....it would be our 5th win in a row...regardless if a bounce had went this way or that way in the last 2...those bounces would have been irrelevant

So taking 4 cups out of 6 after next yr will suit me just fine all warts considered

Ha! That's where I've got you. They're going to win starting Thomas and Schmekel with Gauthier at MLB and Hallet at safety!!!

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

nicely said...and 100 percent people would be griping big time

Just now, Brandon said:

I don't think we will lose this game. I expect montreal to be really, really flat to start this year. I do expect it to be Shakey and rusty and probably an ugly win. If we were reasonably polished for the start of a season, I think'd we'd blow them out. 

I agree, and especially coming off a gc loss and starting out with a rematch at home, the fan base deserves better. We will see thursday. 

Yeah, thats only logical. With an older team thats in contention you have to balance work load carefully. Instead, we basically let guys do what they want. Its the exact opposite of how guys like cal murphy did things. While you can't be as hard as coach cal was, we have gotten soft. We had a bunch of slow starts last year and two flat GCs. I don't think our character or culture over comes that. I also don't think it did in 21, I think that year we were a thousand times better then the next best team. 

First 2 weeks minimum in the cfl are absolutely glorified preseason games, especially when it's the first action the bulk of your starters actually play. That doesn't mean giving up... just means that it's very much still a shaking the rust off and or figuring out how your roster actually shapes up. Week 1 depth chart rarely looks at all the same as week 5ish. 

That's one of the complaints about the training camp we just saw... an awful lot of guys were kept around for no reason. They could have made a half dozen plus cuts way way sooner than they did.

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

You mean like every single post about our DL? Or young NI OL? Or scouting this season? 

Have you ever seen me make a eat some crow post? Clearly I'm not motivated by that. 

The same thing I said previously, probably. How tall would you like to build the strawman?

Fair enough, let's just wait until there's something to actually complain about is what I'm saying.

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That's all fair. However, if 1 coach has more regular season wins than the other 8 going on years and years now. Maybe he does have it figured out?

Ha! That's where I've got you. They're going to win starting Thomas and Schmekel with Gauthier at MLB and Hallet at safety!!!

No issue with Schmeckle as the 7th guy taking 15% of reps for Fox/Woods and Admas to catch a drink..take a piss

Edited by Booch

Just now, 17to85 said:

First 2 weeks minimum in the cfl are absolutely glorified preseason games, especially when it's the first action the bulk of your starters actually play. That doesn't mean giving up... just means that it's very much still a shaking the rust off and or figuring out how your roster actually shapes up. Week 1 depth chart rarely looks at all the same as week 5ish. 

That's one of the complaints about the training camp we just saw... an awful lot of guys were kept around for no reason. They could have made a half dozen plus cuts way way sooner than they did.

Its certainly awful football. I actually think the soft start and finish to the season is hurting the league. you've got an 18 game schedule where the first 2 and last 2 are pretty bad to watch. But at least the first 2 are important. 

A contender should be taking advantage of weeks like that to build an advantage. We shouldn't be giving away advantages and not worrying about that time. It also seems really contrary to the 1 week at a time thing. I don't know if it's as real as the view here of the pre season. Only time will tell. 

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Fair enough, let's just wait until there's something to actually complain about is what I'm saying.

I get what you're saying. And I get its tiresome to hear. Its soo irksome to  watch. 

I hope our team is pissed right now. They should be. We should have 4 straight GC wins. Last years loss is worse than 01 on its own merit. I see us slowly making the same mistakes and more of them that lead to those loses and has lead to contender turn over. I'm not the only one who sees it. This time last year we didn't have many better options for roster problems. Right now, we have virtually every answer we could want available to us.  

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

No issue with Schmeckle as the 7th guy taking 15% of reps for Fox/Woods and Admas to catch a drink..take a piss

As a side note, I really liked his effort and motor on teams as well. He's quickly becoming the type of guy who fills a lot of small holes. I expect to see him on FG etc teams with regularity. Tbh, I'd dress 6 OL and use schmeckle as a TE on the short yardage pack. He's big enough to mash a DE or smaller guy with ease.