Week 1. Revenge of the Darkside

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

First 2 weeks minimum in the cfl are absolutely glorified preseason games, especially when it's the first action the bulk of your starters actually play. That doesn't mean giving up... just means that it's very much still a shaking the rust off and or figuring out how your roster actually shapes up. Week 1 depth chart rarely looks at all the same as week 5ish. 

That's one of the complaints about the training camp we just saw... an awful lot of guys were kept around for no reason. They could have made a half dozen plus cuts way way sooner than they did.

Yeah but then it would be complaining about we kept the same roster,why recruit a guy and not give him a chance yadda yadda yadda....... 

48 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Yeah but then it would be complaining about we kept the same roster,why recruit a guy and not give him a chance yadda yadda yadda....... 

You can drop the guys with absolutely no chance and still have new faces in the mix for work you know... 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

You can drop the guys with absolutely no chance and still have new faces in the mix for work you know... 

Especially the guys who mess up spectacularly, or who are only in camp to round out numbers etc. Qbs get some leeway for obvious reasons. Other positions, if you can't handle the ball as a KR you gotta go. 

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

I'm not writing off Thursday as a loss.  I will however be unhappy if the O is out of synch and we give away a game that we should of won because some guys were shaking off the rust.   

If the mindset is treating the first few weeks as an extended pre season and not putting as much weight on losing the first few games... that is a risk that I'm not a fan of,

If 8 teams out of 9 are giving starters some reps in pre season and if 8 teams out of 9 are not using additional Canucks for no real reason... I refuse to believe that O'Shea is the only smart guy who has it figured out while everyone else is behind.   I know his track record gives him the benefit of the doubt but these are a few things that had a new coach implemented we would be much more vocal with the complaints.   

8 out of 9 teams haven't played in the last 4 Grey Cup games.

8 hours ago, brett_c_b said:

8 out of 9 teams haven't played in the last 4 Grey Cup games.

8/9 teams haven’t lost two gc games in a row they should’ve won as well. Ask a bills fan how they feel about appearing in 5 super bowls in a row. 

55 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

8/9 teams haven’t lost two gc games in a row they should’ve won as well. Ask a bills fan how they feel about appearing in 5 super bowls in a row. 

4 and outside of the first two they were slaughtered coming out of a weaker conference.

2 hours ago, SectionKBlackout said:

4 and outside of the first two they were slaughtered coming out of a weaker conference.

Idk, Washington ripped them up pretty good too. People forget how much weaker the AFC was back then. It was pretty much a foregone conclusion the NFC team would win up until the late 90s. 

lol I will just say this because at the end of the day, I’m just excited to go watch meaningful football tomorrow and the games are played between the lines not on the depth charts.

If we had a genuine open training camp with spots to be won and the best we could do at MLB, knowing Bighill was injured all along, is Shayne Gauthier … and the best we could do at DT was Jake Thomas …

just fire our scouts I guess 

now, I’m assuming we’ll see a lot of Woods. And Cole. Probably not a lot of Ayers. But still … sheesh .. come on 

not shocked in the least...predictable and sad....hopefully as the game progresses our mighty HC will see that starting 10 Canadians...1 of whom shouldnt be even dressed and the other 2 should only sub in will make us a weaker club over all. 

Thomas and gauthier as "starters" is basically a joke and pretty sad that's the best we could come up with knowing since start of camp that we needed a MLB and a DT ....Well 2 Dt's

Hope to god this just a paper thing and we see mostly all import dline and front 7 work....but I think we gonna have to witness game after game of avaerage to inadequate play from some parts before Osh smartens up...and again...No Nationlized American used...like really?....

at least we have Adams..Fox and Woods on the roster....there is one plus...and like the defensive backfield and whom we rostered.....but after all that went on in camp...what we saw...and what potential we have...this is a semi fail...as expected

2 minutes ago, BBlink said:

This just in. Players that have been on the team for 2 weeks are not listed as the "starters" over the vets.

It's the first game. This is not at all unexpected.

It is exciting to see Woods and Adams draw in on the D-Line. Shows we are committed to more of a rotation this year.

I don’t really want to get into this argument because it opens up a whole other can of worms BUT the team really shouldn’t be giving out “recognition” in the depth chart. The presumption is that these players are going to start the game and take a strong share of the snaps, the teams owe it to fans to be accurate and not purposely misleading with these depth charts since the CFL wants to throw gambling in everyone’s face at every turn these days.

If they’re just giving Thomas and Gauthier lifetime achievement awards and a honorary first snap, that’s also a problem that needs to be addressed.

What teams should be forced to disclose prior to kickoff (not today) is their ratio declaration on each side of the ball.

5 minutes ago, BBlink said:

This just in. Players that have been on the team for 2 weeks are not listed as the "starters" over the vets.

It's the first game. This is not at all unexpected.

It is exciting to see Woods and Adams draw in on the D-Line. Shows we are committed to more of a rotation this year.

tenure shouldnt trump talent....nor should passport if you have no ratio issues....weak