Week 1. Revenge of the Darkside

things I don't like... Thomas, Gauthier and Kramdi listed as starters... things I do like... the number of DL and LB players we have rostered...

I am hoping to see a lot of rotation and lots of players getting on the field... I'm really hoping the Thomas/Schmekel is not a set spot on the depth chart... because Cgy basically couldn't run with their starters against Woods/Fox in the middle to start the game last week

Just now, voodoochylde said:

My one hope looking at this depth chart is that we come out of this first game healthy.  There are a lot of bodies in there who haven't taken a single snap all preseason and that's a prime recipe for soft tissue injuries.

And being schooled by opposition who have.

Just now, Mike said:

I don’t really want to get into this argument because it opens up a whole other can of worms BUT the team really shouldn’t be giving out “recognition” in the depth chart. The presumption is that these players are going to start the game and take a strong share of the snaps, the teams owe it to fans to be accurate and not purposely misleading with these depth charts since the CFL wants to throw gambling in everyone’s face at every turn these days.

If they’re just giving Thomas and Gauthier lifetime achievement awards and a honorary first snap, that’s also a problem that needs to be addressed.

What teams should be forced to disclose prior to kickoff (not today) is their ratio declaration on each side of the ball.

yup...some people just dont get it...understand it...or see it...hey see wins in previous seasons....but fail to see the other stuff...failure in playoffs due to exactly what we are seeing...again....hate to wish for injuries...but man o man...

We have no reason to start 3 extra canadians...we do it because Osh is at times Anti American...it's obviously clear....and the fact he wont use a nationlized American to take snaops for a inferior Canadian backup is proof....deny it all you want but its clear as day

23 hours ago, wbbfan said:

As a side note, I really liked his effort and motor on teams as well. He's quickly becoming the type of guy who fills a lot of small holes. I expect to see him on FG etc teams with regularity. Tbh, I'd dress 6 OL and use schmeckle as a TE on the short yardage pack. He's big enough to mash a DE or smaller guy with ease. 

Adams as a TE would work, has the speed to run some short routes in the endzone too!

1 minute ago, Booch said:

yup...some people just dont get it...understand it...or see it...hey see wins in previous seasons....but fail to see the other stuff...failure in playoffs due to exactly what we are seeing...again....hate to wish for injuries...but man o man...

We have no reason to start 3 extra canadians...we do it because Osh is at times Anti American...it's obviously clear....and the fact he wont use a nationlized American to take snaops for a inferior Canadian backup is proof....deny it all you want but its clear as day

This is hilarious, even from you. 

Just now, bearpants said:

things I don't like... Thomas, Gauthier and Kramdi listed as starters... things I do like... the number of DL and LB players we have rostered...

I am hoping to see a lot of rotation and lots of players getting on the field... I'm really hoping the Thomas/Schmekel is not a set spot on the depth chart... because Cgy basically couldn't run with their starters against Woods/Fox in the middle to start the game last week

As a guy who has never really been a fan of Kramdi, I'm OK with him starting.  He's not who I'd have out there but he's nowhere near the biggest liability on the field.  

I look at this depth chart and just see a giant hole right up the middle of our defence.  

Same old same old.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

This is hilarious, even from you. 

he favors Canadians...its abundantly clear....what does Thomas offer over Fox..Adams...Woods...Kramdi over Cole....why he refuses to Nationalize an American...which would make us a better team..do explain

People used to chirp before that some merican coaches favoured Imports and that some Canadians didnt get a fair shot due to that...wekll it does go both ways you know...whether you wanna believe it or not

Edited by Booch

3 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

As a guy who has never really been a fan of Kramdi, I'm OK with him starting.  He's not who I'd have out there but he's nowhere near the biggest liability on the field.  

I look at this depth chart and just see a giant hole right up the middle of our defence.  

Same old same old.

I actually agree and have no issue with Kramdi... but if Gauthier really is the starting MLB taking a majority of the reps... we need strength at other positions... I hope to see Cole out there A LOT in many different roles/situations... he can play anywhere in the LB group or even a safety type role... possibly our most versatile defensive players... so really my only "issue" with Krandi starting is I want more Cole... 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

I want best players playing and taking 75 to 80 percent of the snaps.....we aren't doing that....why is that?

You might be right but we don't know yet for sure the % of reps. All we know is listed starters. 

I'm happy to take a wait and see approach to this. As long as we're rotating heavily along the line, and as long as BA isn't too far gone with that bum leg.... I think it'll be okay. 

I'm more concerned with the sloppiness from guys who haven't played together since last year. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

You might be right but we don't know yet for sure the % of reps. All we know is listed starters. 

I'm happy to take a wait and see approach to this. As long as we're rotating heavily along the line, and as long as BA isn't too far gone with that bum leg.... I think it'll be okay. 

I'm more concerned with the sloppiness from guys who haven't played together since last year. 

Or how Zach fairs playing behind an offensive line that hasn't taken a lot of reps together.  

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

true....but we all know the "starters" will get plenty of reps...too many....

The fact we knew we needed a DT...Upgrade at SAM... 2 corners...then before camp a MLB (tho was apparent we needed an heir before the injury situ) then another DT as Lawson went down and had all camp to un-earth a player for each spot, with no restrictions where it had to be a Canadian...and running out Gauthier...Thomas...and Kramdi as the best we could come up with...thats a pretty sad state of affairs any way you slice it. We did the right things with the corners in my opinion, so thats a good thing...we kept 3 dlineman who should never have been cut/PR'd and thats good....

2 of the 3 "starters" are solid rotation and in game back-ups if injury arises....that should be their role.....Thomas is just a waste of a spot and delaying the development of a younger Canadian.

I'm sure tho a play will get funneled right to him standing their taking up space and people will chime in...Thomas!!!....and it will be comical but expected

I said way back in camp I bet we see Gauthier..Thomas...and Kramdi as defcto starters...and viola what did we get...they were pencilled in there from the get go regardless of what transpired in camp save for an injury.

Hopefully the play of the back-ups will relegate them to back-ups and one them possibly off the roster....but I not holding my breathe on that....

32 minutes ago, Booch said:

Maybe we wait to see the snap count of these extra NATs before we label MOS as anti-American.

If you had told me Smeckel would be in our starting roster prior to training camp I would say either your nuts or we drafted terribly. Kudos to him for having worked so hard to belong.

For the first game you know O'Shea was going to have vets  start out of respect and I can't blame him

But i wouldn't be surprised by end of game if a number of so called backups ended up playing more snaps

Also many seem to be inferring that Younger and Buck have no say in the lineups, since their futures lie in teams performance I find that hard to believe

Edited by Pete

Just now, GCn20 said:

Maybe we wait to see the snap count of these extra NATs before we label MOS as anti-American.

I don't think O'Shea is anti-American but he does put a lot of stock in his vets and the guys who have 'grown with the club'.  This has always been one of O'Shea's best and worst traits.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

If you had told me Smeckel would be in our starting roster prior to training camp I would say either your nuts or we drafted terribly. Kudos to him for having worked so hard to belong.

For the first game you know O'Shea was going to have vets  start out of respect and I can't blame him

But i wouldn't be surprised by end of game if a number of so called backups ended up playing more snaps

I'll reserve judgement on Schmekel until we see how he holds up and plays in the regular season.  

With that said, it appears he's taken a step .. which is good .. we desperately need someone out there pushing Thomas for a spot.

I refuse to believe that in the minds of our coaches we will give more snaps to Canadians over Americans just because of nationality. Show me a coach that doesn't want to win in the CFL.

What I do think is that sometimes we are so focused on winning in the short term that we aren't giving enough snaps to other guys so that they can get enough experience to help us late in the season, especially when our vets succumb to injury.

It looks like we are rolling with some youth this year which is good to see.

6 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

I don't think O'Shea is anti-American but he does put a lot of stock in his vets and the guys who have 'grown with the club'.  This has always been one of O'Shea's best and worst traits.

I'll reserve judgement on Schmekel until we see how he holds up and plays in the regular season.  

With that said, it appears he's taken a step .. which is good .. we desperately need someone out there pushing Thomas for a spot.

If Lawson didnt go down...Would we have dressed Lawson and Schmeck (who has upside, and showed well...so far tho it just Pre-Season) Or would we have seen Thomas and Lawson....Thomas who has shown considerable decline...has no upside...and shouuld without a doubt NOT be here next yr anyway...so why even go that route.....discuss amongst yourself but based on this depth chart...we all know the answer

1 minute ago, BBlink said:

I refuse to believe that in the minds of our coaches we will give more snaps to Canadians over Americans just because of nationality. Show me a coach that doesn't want to win in the CFL.

What I do think is that sometimes we are so focused on winning in the short term that we aren't giving enough snaps to other guys so that they can get enough experience to help us late in the season, especially when our vets succumb to injury.

It looks like we are rolling with some youth this year which is good to see.

Going with Gauthier and Thomas tho isn't a "win now" thing...thats the rub...Vet presence is good...and fine...until skill erodes

We have more than enough vets rostered to be succesful

37 minutes ago, Booch said:

not shocked in the least...predictable and sad....hopefully as the game progresses our mighty HC will see that starting 10 Canadians...1 of whom shouldnt be even dressed and the other 2 should only sub in will make us a weaker club over all. 

Thomas and gauthier as "starters" is basically a joke and pretty sad that's the best we could come up with knowing since start of camp that we needed a MLB and a DT ....Well 2 Dt's

Hope to god this just a paper thing and we see mostly all import dline and front 7 work....but I think we gonna have to witness game after game of avaerage to inadequate play from some parts before Osh smartens up...and again...No Nationlized American used...like really?....

at least we have Adams..Fox and Woods on the roster....there is one plus...and like the defensive backfield and whom we rostered.....but after all that went on in camp...what we saw...and what potential we have...this is a semi fail...as expected

Whats really sad is that less than 10 NI starters is a pleasant surprise. Ho-hum, mos still too good to use the ratio to it's fullest, not surprised. We should have used it on BA, and then used him to play a guy like Cole more. If Gauthier and thomas are on the field at the same time, we are gonna get gauged especially in the run game. Not remotely close to an optimal roster no matter what you think of the new guys. Not the worse roster we've seen. Hoping for heavy rotation of some guys. 

BA starting and not hallett. I hope he can get back to his former self. If not, I bet he doesn't finish the year here. 

7 DL on the roster including Adams, woods, and fox. The three best DTs. 

I like that adams is listed as an end, hopefully he will get lots of reps all over the DL.

Schmekel is on the roster. What a difference a year makes, he earned this shot. I hope he plays well. 

A back up imp db who can cover. 

A rookie imp lber on the roster. 

In general the roster is balanced much better than basically all of last year. We aren't 1 injury away from a guy playing a position he doesn't have a chance at. 

Dislikes: 

Adams as a back up, deserves to start hope he is top 3 in reps on the DL.

Thomas starting. Ick.

Gauthier starting. Should not be on the field with thomas at the same time. Not worried about him, but ayers/cole have tons more upside. 

Cole backing up. He may well be better than starters at 3 positions on our D. Hope he gets lots of reps.

still a good 1 NI starter too many.

Kola over eli. No surprise not even sure how healthy ready Eli is though. 

Lofton. Ick, I hope he out performs every thing I've seen to date. Especially in pass pro. If he's tipping again I might lose some hair.

The state of our KR. Mainly worried about how PR will be fielded. Hoping for the best, pretty sure it won't be the worst we've seen the last 2 years though. 

None of the imp DEs who played well. Sucks garbutt got injured, and the others got cut. Hope we bring atleast one of the cuts back to the PR in the future. 

Sheahan. Ick, only thing reliable about him is he will shank a few punts each game giving you a 10-20 yard net in field position. 

49 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Adams as a TE would work, has the speed to run some short routes in the endzone too!

He would be a beast, you could even use him like an H back with that speed. He should rotate a lot on D though, so might be much for him to do. 

54 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I did not know Karamoko played WIL, thought he was a DB, are they required to roster 2 Globals now or has he earned his spot?

Wil after the change to the hashmarks is closer to a Sam position than what it used to be. Instead of 220+ lbs guys we see a lot of fringe 200 lbs guys like the big sams. Its like free vs strong safety down south.