Week 1. Revenge of the Darkside

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Favoring Canadians in a Canadian league is not anti-American. 

So if the leafs cut auston mathews.... Yeah ok thats a bit silly. And hockey, eww. 

Point is, the CFL has always been about balancing the ratio and talent. Imagine if every opponent was the stallions. Making a roster that is sub optimal in a pro sport is unconscionable. No other HC in the league would make rosters like this and keep their job. The CIS and junior football are right there. Is that the quality we want for the cfl really? Because that means hardly any televised games. 

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They should have to list who the DI's are.

Big difference if it's one of the DL or Bridges.  Castillo and Mitchell for sure.  Ayers likely.  4th would be DL or Bridges.

Thats a good point. 

I wonder if the league should change the Kicker position to function out side of the ratio? Its such a big part of the game, I can see crediting teams if they use an NI (like starting qb) but if teams gained a DI while still using an IMP kicker I think it'd be a big quality improvement. 

9 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They should have to list who the DI's are.

Big difference if it's one of the DL or Bridges.  Castillo and Mitchell for sure.  Ayers likely.  4th would be DL or Bridges.

I mean, aren’t they all dressing? It’s been so long since I’ve paid attention to this - what’s the difference at this point? All 45 guys listed are dressing so is there a limit on how they can sub in for any of them? 

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

NHL is not a Canadian league.

Tell toronto, and the rest of canada that. It was a bit tongue and cheek, but would you kick out the none canadians from the CEBL? (I don't know much about the CEBL keep in mind.)

Or what if the NFL decided to only field american players. Would that be fair or ok? Would that be pro winning? Or how about the integration and the color line of baseball? 

I think it says a lot that the NFL is doing work with the international player program after running a league in europe, combing for players all over, and the cfl has added the global draft, and the only person in football going in the opposite direction is MOS. 

55 minutes ago, JCon said:

Favoring Canadians in a Canadian league is not anti-American. 

it is when bottom line is a championship...also when you start more than you need to....over talent...I get it...Its the CFL and you think it's better the more Canadians there are...It is if it about patriotism and pride...It's not when you sacrifice talent...skill and Cups tho....plain and simple

52 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

No but being pro-Canadian should not mean favoring less talented players.

he get it...many dont tho....sadly

Edited by Booch

42 minutes ago, Mike said:

I mean, aren’t they all dressing? It’s been so long since I’ve paid attention to this - what’s the difference at this point? All 45 guys listed are dressing so is there a limit on how they can sub in for any of them? 

American "backups" who aren't DI's can sub for anyone.

So say Adams isn't marked as a DI.  He can sub for Thomas/Gauthier etc.

If he's a DI when he comes on the field an American has to come off.

But ultimately they only need 1 Canadian on the field any given down on D.

Just a bit nuanced as to who can sub for who.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

If you had told me Smeckel would be in our starting roster prior to training camp I would say either your nuts or we drafted terribly. Kudos to him for having worked so hard to belong.

For the first game you know O'Shea was going to have vets  start out of respect and I can't blame him

But i wouldn't be surprised by end of game if a number of so called backups ended up playing more snaps

Also many seem to be inferring that Younger and Buck have no say in the lineups, since their futures lie in teams performance I find that hard to believe

How does Schmekel on your roster, mean you drafted terriblely?  The scouts are paid for finding talent in rounds 3-8.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

No but being pro-Canadian should not mean favoring less talented players.

Are they favoring less talented players or are they considered less talent due to your inferiority complex?

Edited by CrazyCanuck89

12 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Regardless. Starting up to 10 Canadians is basically like rostering Damian Jackson. You are making yourself worse on purpose. 

Disagree because in theory your backup pieces can step in and contribute... which Jackson couldn't do in any aspect.

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Disagree because in theory your backup pieces can step in and contribute... which Jackson couldn't do in any aspect.

But there’s really no advantage or need to start more than the minimum. Guys like demski Oliviera etc are legit stars but when you starting guys like gauthier or Thomas over Americans. It’s just silly.  Regardless of rotation 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Thank you!  At least someone here gets it.

what do you call playing an inferior player...over a more talented one...in effect making your overall roster weaker?....Lets take Nationality out of it...what would that be looked as....especially when you "don't" have to do that...

Just now, Goalie said:

But there’s really no advantage or need to start more than the minimum 

Exactly....zero....If I could see it as actually a football talent related thing...as well as player upside/future and more importantly development in areas of need then I would be on board....But as a coach myself the goal is always to put out the best roster, giving you the best chance to win....within the rules of your league,  and never to play favorites.....I not seeing that here....

4 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Are they favoring less talented players or are they considered less talent due to inferiority complex?

In this case, less talented - you're projecting too much.

Thomas & Gauthier, at this point of their careers, are not the best options we have.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

It's the CFL.... we've seen many times guys come into the league on short notice and immediately take off and excel come game time.    I'm not understanding why they go with the "known talents" who have a ceiling of mediocre.  Why not try out guys who "can" become break out star players.  

and as many have claimed here that the firt 2..3 games are pre-season games anyway...and support the notion that sitting some guys with zero reps is aokay as thats what these games are for...well then take it further and test out the possible future and see what they have...you already know what a lot of the past has done...and their ever increasing limitations....no??

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

In this case, less talented - you're projecting too much.

Thomas & Gauthier, at this point of their careers, are not the best options we have.

Gauthier between the 3 guys rostered at middle prob Is the best option tho. Thomas is not. 

Edited by Goalie