Week 1. Revenge of the Darkside

Just now, GCn20 said:

We've seen Jake listed as a starter many, many times over the past several years and then take limited snaps.

Limited? Idk about that.  He was playing a bit more than Lawson all last year. Only wj played more snaps imo. 
 If you go way back to the last time we had two imp dts and Jake and Kongbo I’d agree his reps were in a good spot. At that time I don’t think any of the dl was playing too many snaps. 

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

We've seen Jake listed as a starter many, many times over the past several years and then take limited snaps.

I think in a pinch Adams would be just fine at end. It will be nice to get Garbutt back tho.

Adams in rotational will be exceptional imo. I think he needs time before he can play as many reps at de as dt though. But his cardio might be back to where it needs to be already. I’d be thrilled if it was. 
 Yeah I can’t wait for garbutt to be back. 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Limited? Idk about that.  He was playing a bit more than Lawson all last year. Only wj played more snaps imo. 
 If you go way back to the last time we had two imp dts and Jake and Kongbo I’d agree his reps were in a good spot. At that time I don’t think any of the dl was playing too many snaps. 

Adams in rotational will be exceptional imo. I think he needs time before he can play as many reps at de as dt though. But his cardio might be back to where it needs to be already. I’d be thrilled if it was. 

I will be paying special attention to Devin Adams on Thursday.

2 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I will be paying special attention to Devin Adams on Thursday.

Yeah. The DL/tackle box is always my primary watch, especially on TV. I think it's going to be a big debut. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

This is a perfect example where I welcome assistance from people who know the x's and o's of football way more than I do combined with watching what is going on way more closely than I am.

When I watched Jake Thomas play last year what I saw was a player who very quickly went from fresh to tired resulting in little push up front.

That's what I saw but maybe game tape and/or viewers with much more football expertise than I who are attuned to the nuances going on show something far different than what I see.

The point I'm trying to make is this is a forum I can post what I see but am willing to be corrected based on the context I provided above.

Win win in my books.

23 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Jake has been on a limited snap count for 2 years now. If you got the snap count numbers I'd love to see them, because if he took more snaps than Walker I'll eat my hat. Also, same goes for Jeffcoat if you look at snaps while they were both in the lineup. 

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Jake has been on a limited snap count for 2 years now. If you got the snap count numbers I'd love to see them, because if he took more snaps than Walker I'll eat my hat. Also, same goes for Jeffcoat if you look at snaps while they were both in the lineup. 

Think we will have to agree to disagree, because of course snap count stats aren't important. We spent half of last year with no official stats lol. I plan to track them for week 1 Though. If it doesn't work out I'll re watch the game and track them. I would bet my house walker took more snaps, he played a ton of snaps at edge too though. 

1 minute ago, BBlink said:

If Adams and Woods (or Garbutt) don't get significant reps this year I'll be just as upset as everyone else. Game 1 you never know. We could be pleasantly surprised.

I think the rotations and snap numbers will show how much control JY has over the D. That as well as blitzes, especially mlber blitzes, as well as how deep the cushion is. 

18 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

This is a perfect example where I welcome assistance from people who know the x's and o's of football way more than I do combined with watching what is going on way more closely than I am.

When I watched Jake Thomas play last year what I saw was a player who very quickly went from fresh to tired resulting in little push up front.

That's what I saw but maybe game tape and/or viewers with much more football expertise than I who are attuned to the nuances going on show something far different than what I see.

The point I'm trying to make is this is a forum I can post what I see but am willing to be corrected based on the context I provided above.

Win win in my books.

for a good example of context in what he brings...watch tomorrow on any play going toward the sideline...or away from him....and when dust settles...watch him jogging up behind the play doing nothing....that should tell you all you need to see on what he brings

If a play isnt funnlled right to him by others...usually standing there unale to get off his blocker...or a ball carrier runs right at him...he offers nothing that a raw rookie with zero experience could

13 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

they werent very limited from what I saw....10 snaps total is too much....and I was watching...trust me

And if thats the case...he is on roster for a limited number...why have him as thenstarter?...to butter his bun or something.....fact of the matter he is in the way, and taking the roster spot of a younger...better player we could be developing to be that much further along by yrs end...and into next yr....He serves no purpose here now other than a gifted loyalty spot....he isn't the future and if Osh is looking at him still for next yr as a key cog...he should seriously be sat down by Miller and Walters and told to wake the eff up...or just not give him the opportunity to roster him and tell him he not being re-signed for 2025

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

I do find it mildly confusing that it’s literally week ******* one and we’re already “in a pinch” and sliding a DT out to play on the edge.

considering Upshaw..Rivers were just here..showed they can play...and we have open spot on the PR....nice PR use...again

Thomas is miscast as a nose IMO.  Always has been, even when he was a more useful player.  Fine with him rotating in at DT on passing downs.  Hate when he's out there on 1st down.  There's only been a couple years where he wasn't used primarily as a nose, and those are the two years we won Grey Cups.

In a lot of ways the bias toward Canadian DL has played out in how our Canadian coach has viewed his role.  Because he's not a nose.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Thomas is miscast as a nose IMO.  Always has been, even when he was a more useful player.  Fine with him rotating in at DT on passing downs.  Hate when he's out there on 1st down.  There's only been a couple years where he wasn't used primarily as a nose, and those are the two years we won Grey Cups.

In a lot of ways the bias toward Canadian DL has played out in how our Canadian coach has viewed his role.  Because he's not a nose.

if Thomas was an American....who played and possesed the same skills...he would have been dusted here yrs ago....just sayin

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Do we need to alert the authorities? Lol

Alert the spiining Faj...as I see Adams crashing down on him at least 2x and flattening his Jesus Sprinklin hiney

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

considering Upshaw..Rivers were just here..showed they can play...and we have open spot on the PR....nice PR use...again

Don’t know which American would come off the roster though. The back up DB? Then we’d all complain about the lack of depth there. 

could use a cdn DE. Mason Bennett coming still?

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Couldn't we say that about a lot of players?

none of our other Canadians recently no...

1 minute ago, blue85gold said:

Don’t know which American would come off the roster though. The back up DB? Then we’d all complain about the lack of depth there. 

could use a cdn DE. Mason Bennett coming still?

we didnt use a backup one all last yr...so really....status quo...and we could flip Woods for and end if we need be....use Schmeck as the DT rotation....Punt Thomas for Hubert as he can play ST's....

Edited by Booch

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

if Thomas was an American....who played and possesed the same skills...he would have been dusted here yrs ago....just sayin

Alert the spiining Faj...as I see Adams crashing down on him at least 2x and flattening his Jesus Sprinklin hiney

Adams is from Peru, that's pretty cool...

3 hours ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Are they favoring less talented players or are they considered less talent due to your inferiority complex?

The only people who discuss inferiority complexes are those who have one

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

I do find it mildly confusing that it’s literally week ******* one and we’re already “in a pinch” and sliding a DT out to play on the edge.

Holding off for garbutt to be healthy and Bennett to get here?

16 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

here's a question for the football brains: does a DT ever do anything besides crush the pocket or run a stunt?  is there anything more to his role than that?

Just now, 17to85 said:

Holding off for garbutt to be healthy and Bennett to get here?

I guess maybe, but … this feels like a decision you could understand in week 11. We broke camp knowing Garbutt was hurt and this was plan B?

1 minute ago, johnzo said:

here's a question for the football brains: does a DT ever do anything besides crush the pocket or run a stunt?  is there anything more to his role than that?

hell yeah....good ones do....they also can slide outside too

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

I guess maybe, but … this feels like a decision you could understand in week 11. We broke camp knowing Garbutt was hurt and this was plan B?

If they feel the tackles are athletic enough to handle it... I dunno it's not the worst thing in my mind. 

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think Adams will be fine on the edge. Guy has ridiculous speed for his size.