GDT Can the Bombers D shutdown the Als?

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

I totally get that. Totally. And, over the past couple of years we've gone to the GC, put up 1,000 yard receivers and BO has run up and down. But, I still wonder why we don't hang 40 to 50 points on our opponents each week? Why are we always (except last night) putting up 20 to 30. I'm not well versed enough in offensive design to understand what he's trying to do, so I am genuinely asking. 

It's too bad we don't have a backup QB that could come in when it's clear that Collaros is in February form. :35_thinking: 

Our offence is feast or famine in terms of passing and passing tds. We have the odd game where teams don't adjust and we score on every drive. But mostly, when we put up a lot of points, it's the first few drives going for scores. We pad a 2-3 TD lead in the first quarter then the other team adjusts and we struggle. 

It is hard to consistently drive and score in football. Following up a 50 spot the next week is extremely hard. you'll see the dolphins in the NFL do the exact same thing. Be un stoppable one week then can't stop tripping them self up another. To an extent, offenses ebb and flow like that. Great OCs adjust well in game. Buck isn't there right now. Hes still really young for an OC and might get there. 

In general buck is really strong at prepping a game plan. When his prepped game plan doesn't work, or teams adjust, he doesn't have progressions set up to cover those situations with out whole sale changing what we are doing. 

A few examples. A game vs edm last year we rocked quick wr screens early. Pushed a lot of yards, but didn't convert. Edm adjusted to the screen and we floundered. Never went back to it, never ran concepts that built off it. Screen and go, jet counter off a jail break screen etc. We run virtually any play from any formation we run, but we don't mix concepts or use concepts to set up multiple looks. Lawler has feasted on a 20 yard out with zach. But we don't include that route on concepts that feature the strengths of schoen. We don't play guys off each other well to force the D into a bad spot.

Zach in general struggles with check downs. He tends to be dead locked on his first read. previously, when that wouldn't work he'd get pressure, escape and dalton schoen has made a career of coming back to the ball to bail out the play. That, was basically our 2nd option on a lot of pass plays the last 2 years. But teams are aware of that now. They aren't letting dalton slip away any more. 

So if we either THUMP teams early with a great game plan and great first looks, or we struggle and continue to struggle. 

5 minutes ago, BomberBall. said:

This is a very small part of the game last night, and there are many more important things to complain about, but on a couple of runs by Streveler he faked the pitch to Brady before taking off.  Nothing against that play specifically, but shouldn’t we actually run a RB toss play during the game to make a fake toss more effective?  I might have missed it, but I don’t recall a single one.

Thats true, part of it is also that he was faking the pitch too early. His feet are still when he fakes the pitch, so even if the D freezes, he doesn't actually gain any thing. If you take a few steps, you can see the pursuit angle and actually make a read, if you have the angle then you fake and you freeze the D while you accelerate with a speed cut ideally. I suspect that is some thing we will iron out with time. 

12 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Last time we beat Montreal the score was like 47 17. The last 2 times we played them the combined bombers scored in 2 games is 36. Perhaps Montreal has figured us out. Thorpe has figured out buck and our O. Prior to that i see a 17 to 3 win also. Since then tho. It’s 2 0 Montreal. 

Thorpe is a good DC. That said, Tor also exposed us in the previous GC. It'll be interesting to see how we play the riders this year. 

57 minutes ago, JCon said:

Unfortunately, the Bombers played their last pre-season game in a game that actually mattered.

What is Buck trying to do out there? I am confused with this offense and have been for a couple of years. Why can't we take advantage of having such elite playmakers out there? 

Maybe he's trying a play-calling AI designed by Lapo. 🤪

Yep. Last night sucked. Worried? Not particularly. 

As last night was drawing to a close I kept thinking of last season's home game in July against BC. Took it on the chin pretty good that night, didn't we?

We have a veteran team, the best coaching staff in the league. They turned it around after that game, and they'll turn it around after this one.

Looking forward to next week against Ottawa. Get the boys on the road, away from the noise and get the freight train back on track.

It's going to be interesting to watch next week in ott. Zachs struggled on the road last year. Despite 4-5 of his home games last year being not great either for yards or picks, his road split was much worse than his home split. His passing yards per game last year on the road are the exact same as his 209 yards last night. Along with a much worse 1.55 tds per game to 1 int per game on the road. 

Plush the fact we haven't beaten ott or won in ott since week 2 of 2022, where we played them back to back but they played us really hard in both games. With us winning both by a combined 9 points. And a total of just 2 wins in ottawa since week 4 of 2019, an the fact that the ott D will be preparing for us by practicing against Dru Brown who knows what we do inside and out and can run it effectively.  It's going to be an interesting match up for sure. 

Historically we with zach and back to just with mos bounce back from beat downs really well. But each year we answer the bell of being hammered worse. Some thing is gonna give next week. 

31 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Could also explain why Lauther missed so many consecutive FG's in pre-season, which was uncharacteristic.

Why would the league want to force feed this technology into the kicking game?  It’s pretty clear none of the kickers are on board and it’s clearly having a negative effect on performance.  What kind of stats does the chip even generate?  Can’t see how, whatever it provides, is worth messing with the integrity of the game.  There’s a pretty simple solution here.

Genius sports. Run by idiots obviously. But the als kicker was 2 for 2 on field goals so maybe it’s not as big of a deal as it’s being made out to be. Guess we will have to see what happens in the other games. 

Edited by Goalie

11 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Genius sports. Run by idiots obviously. But the als kicker was 2 for 2 on field goals so maybe it’s not as big of a deal as it’s being made out to be. Guess we will have to see what happens in the other games. 

2-2 on field goals but also missed a convert.  Castillo also mentioned his average in practice is way down too so the game is just one example.  If 10 of 11 kickers in the league voted against it, they aren't doing just because.  I'd like to know who the one kicker was though.

47 minutes ago, Goalie said:

The Als kicker hit 2 for 2, yes, but his longest was 22 yards.  Castillo made his short one too, from 17.  There would be a more noticeable impact the further back you go.

One of the interesting things about our D vs mtl, is we used a 30 front about as much as a 40. We blended using a 30 over set with the ends as a jack. With that we may well have spent more time in a 30 than a 40 alignment. But we didn’t drop from the 3-4 over with that end. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that wrinkle in the future. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see more 30 front on run downs when either ayers earns significant reps or biggie comes back. 

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If the Bombers want to figure out how to use the Designated American they should look at Calgary's depth chart this week.

There's absolutely no reason to not use this.  Even if you don't plan on using it to the limit you increase your flexibility in case of injury(ies) immensely.

How’d the stamps use it? 

‘Ford was victimized for the biggest play in the game, a 76-yard flea-flicker from Cody Fajardo to Philpot that came midway through the fourth quarter. Ford set his feet after the ball was handed off to Walter Fletcher, allowing the receiver to get behind him and the entire defence. Fajardo hit him over the middle of the field and the University of Calgary product outran Ford and Evan Holm in a footrace to the end zone.

“It’s just eye discipline — it was bad on my part,” said Ford postgame. “I looked and I’d seen the running back had the ball and he was still running. I was like, ‘Oh, it’s a handoff,’ then he pitched it back and I was like, ‘Oh, shoot.’ Bad eyes. My eyes are supposed to be on my guy. Stuff happens.”’

3rd down nation article today about the flea flicker. 

1 minute ago, Bombertown said:

‘Ford was victimized for the biggest play in the game, a 76-yard flea-flicker from Cody Fajardo to Philpot that came midway through the fourth quarter. Ford set his feet after the ball was handed off to Walter Fletcher, allowing the receiver to get behind him and the entire defence. Fajardo hit him over the middle of the field and the University of Calgary product outran Ford and Evan Holm in a footrace to the end zone.

“It’s just eye discipline — it was bad on my part,” said Ford postgame. “I looked and I’d seen the running back had the ball and he was still running. I was like, ‘Oh, it’s a handoff,’ then he pitched it back and I was like, ‘Oh, shoot.’ Bad eyes. My eyes are supposed to be on my guy. Stuff happens.”’

3rd down nation article today about the flea flicker. 

Eye discipline the life of a DB.