3 turds plus crappy honker preseason game 3

we shall see...The second point is a big one...we need to let him run the regular offence....even when he comes in...or stays in after a 2nd or 3rd and short....If all he does is run....that gets figured out very fast and basically just limits his effectiveness with that part of his game...and will get him taking needless pounding...So hopefully Buck lets him be a QB....Or if he is being told to only use as such....make a case as to not

31 minutes ago, Mike said:

To be fair we didn’t really start ten. The lineup said we were going to, but we didn’t.

Jake Thomas played far too much though

Some guys should be told it's time to move on but Jake is a coach's favourite. Is starting 10 a failure to recruit or a tribute to the depth to the Canadians we have? I'm thinking it's the latter. To me, that's a huge concern. When MOS thinks the Canadian backups are better than the Americans they have brought in that's a scary thought. Gauthier is a prime example. Our HC will go over Niagra Falls believing he's better by playing him over any American while Biggie is out. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

10 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Zach showed signs of this many times last year. And Buck showed signs of not doing him any favours.

100%. It has increased in frequency each year. And zachs play off performances have been very consistent in not being good. 

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

Seriously worried that we kept the wrong QB. I'm debating whether this is the worst game I've seen in this stadium. It's this or vs Argos Frito Ray 2014 for worst game I've personally seen at Fort Hew.

Oh man I was at that argos game it was horrribad. Worried about the same. It's going to be really interesting to see how brown does. 

9 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

1. O - Zach, Brady and Nick - all are not ready

2. D - Ford needs a lot of learning fast, other teams will be looking to attack him. 

3. ST - Sergio seems he doesn't care of the misses. 

Brady played well. Early gaps weren't there especially but he made chicken scratch into chicken salad a few times. Needed more touches but hard to do when you keep throwing into the dirt on 2nd down. 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I thought our corners played pretty darned well. They have talent. They just lack experience. 

Yeah I'm not worried about the secondary. Couple misses on who had deep cover, but that will get sorted. 

8 hours ago, Jets said:

Hubris is exactly the word for that one.  Years of "player x doesnt need to practice" "player y is a pro, he doesnt need reps in the pre-season"  "we dont need to use that rule, and we can start 8-9-10 canadians because we're so great" has finally come home to roost...hard.  

I hope this isn't the beginning of the end, but its starting to look like "just one more year" of running it back without any competition or contingency for the aging out of veterans has finally come back to bite us.  It could be a long season - I hope I'm wrong, but I'm worried.

Nailed it. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Roster management is terrible. Starting ten Canadians was ludicrous. Is there some kind of participation award for being big heroes??? Oh yeah, we get a supplementary draft pick. Big deal. 

Yep. And this game should be the death of any, oh the starters don't matter! conversation. I'm good with playing for the pick but you don't need to win by 100 roster useages, you just need to be top 2. Starting 8 for most of the year would be fine. Could pad in the back end of the year if you are good too. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

To be fair we didn’t really start ten. The lineup said we were going to, but we didn’t.

Jake Thomas played far too much though

Jake was taking series off mid way through the first quarter then all of a sudden it's he's out for every damn series lol. He played the most snaps of any DL. Gauthier kept getting shuffled off, but not for an IMP. Karamoko got more snaps than bridges and ayers combined. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Some guys should be told it's time to move on but Jake is a coach's favourite. Is starting 10 a failure to recruit or a tribute to the depth to the Canadians we have? I'm thinking it's the latter. To me, that's a huge concern. When MOS thinks the Canadian backups are better than the Americans they have brought in that's a scary thought. Gauthier is a prime example. Our HC will go over Niagra Falls believing he's better by playing him over any American while Biggie is out. 

I do have to say, jake didn't play terribly over all. He looks down some weight. Not nearly as sloppy as last year. 

BUT, he can not be the guy playing the nose, and needs to be used sparingly. Let the imps play the nose, and let fatboi Gap rush. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I demand a recount

Rebusrankin

Rebusrankin

walton goggins

None of the D guys really sucked.  It’s hard to talk Thomas or whoever this years Jackson is when the O doesn’t move the ball. The 3 turds are 

1. Collaros. Like others I’d have rather kept the younger QB. Zach looks cooked more and more. Ppl say rust but last 2 games va Fajardo, Zach has been worse by a long shot. 

2. Mitchell - I don’t think he was that awful but I think his muffed kick = eventual TD for the Als 

I’ll stick with guys on the field here 

3. Castillo - turns out they chipped the ball and kickers voted 10 to 1 against it but still you missed basically every kick. Was it really the chip? It could be. But for this game. Sergio is turd 3. 

Edited by Goalie

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

Seriously worried that we kept the wrong QB. I'm debating whether this is the worst game I've seen in this stadium. It's this or vs Argos Frito Ray 2014 for worst game I've personally seen at Fort Hew.

I felt sorry for the fans who showed up expecting a football game. 

Instead, they saw the result of hubris and arrogance - qualities that start with MOS. O'Shea has been lucky while in Winnipeg that he's had good assistants to cover his inadequacies. No one can miss his wrong-headed in-game decisions though, and they show both bone-headedness and arrogance. At least O'Shea admitted that he was responsible for the team's lack of preparedness. At least he has that insight.

As for the players - Brady looks too jacked to be useful (Johnny Augustine hit the holes quicker) and Collaros displayed the old deer in the headlights panic of old. Castillo - who also missed part of training camp - looked to be blaming his Aussie holder for his poor showing. Not a good look. Bombers have no return game and constantly lost the field position battle. 

It'll be interesting to see how Dru Brown does in Ottawa and whether Janarion Grant has recovered from injury and lights it up for Toronto. I was sorry to see both those players part ways with Bombers.

6 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

I felt sorry for the fans who showed up expecting a football game. 

Instead, they saw the result of hubris and arrogance - qualities that start with MOS. O'Shea has been lucky while in Winnipeg that he's had good assistants to cover his inadequacies. No one can miss his wrong-headed in-game decisions though, and they show both bone-headedness and arrogance. At least O'Shea admitted that he was responsible for the team's lack of preparedness. At least he has that insight.

As for the players - Brady looks too jacked to be useful (Johnny Augustine hit the holes quicker) and Collaros displayed the old deer in the headlights panic of old. Castillo - who also missed part of training camp - looked to be blaming his Aussie holder for his poor showing. Not a good look. Bombers have no return game and constantly lost the field position battle. 

It'll be interesting to see how Dru Brown does in Ottawa and whether Janarion Grant has recovered from injury and lights it up for Toronto. I was sorry to see both those players part ways with Bombers.

Dru brown wouldn’t have got 1 rep last night as Collaros did not get hurt. The only time brown came in is when Zach basically got folded like an accordion or took a head shot. Zach honestly looked like he did against Edmonton the 1st half last year until he got hurt and dru came in and won the game. But he stayed healthy so he played the entire game. I’m disappointed in our oc and coach not recognizing Zach don’t got it and to put his ass on the bench for a series or 2 at the least. 

Edited by Goalie

9 hours ago, Jets said:

Hubris is exactly the word for that one.  Years of "player x doesnt need to practice" "player y is a pro, he doesnt need reps in the pre-season"  "we dont need to use that rule, and we can start 8-9-10 canadians because we're so great" has finally come home to roost...hard.  

I hope this isn't the beginning of the end, but its starting to look like "just one more year" of running it back without any competition or contingency for the aging out of veterans has finally come back to bite us.  It could be a long season - I hope I'm wrong, but I'm worried.

Yup I had the exact same thought after the game. Hope not.

I know I'm in the minority and for good reason, but I still hold hope ZC can find his old form in some way, maybe not fully, but to a level where CS can fill in nicely and compensate for his deficiencies.

8 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup I had the exact same thought after the game. Hope not.

I know I'm in the minority and for good reason, but I still hold hope ZC can find his old form in some way, maybe not fully, but to a level where CS can fill in nicely and compensate for his deficiencies.

I don't think you are in the minority at all. That would be the best case scenario. I think most of us worry though that if ZC can't pull out of it, the staff will be too stubborn or too late to recognize it.

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Streveler coming in. 9 year old who has watched 5 bomber games in her life but 3 at the stadium. Oh he’s gonna run and he did pretty much every time. If my 9 yr old can figure it out so can Thorpe. 

Sometimes it's ok to just smash the ball at the other team... that's what works for Oliveira.  Just wear them down. The key for all of it though is to stay on the field and allow it to take a toll. It's also a long term thing where eventually he's going to pass and everyone will in theory be looking for the run. 

Anyone remember being smoked by the Lions here early last year? If we’re still seeing this poop show in July and August then we have a reason to be panicking. The team looked rusty which is not surprising. Also I have a theory about the Als. For whatever reason we always have a difficult time against this team. Must go back to our East Division battles in the mid to late 2000’s. If we crap the bed in the next 3 weeks especially offensively, then it’s a concern. Until then let’s see how we do in Ottawa …

I'm going to simply say there's a lot of over-reaction going on but also some very valid and warranted concerns.   

I think Montreal, at least defensively, is one of those teams we don't match up well with.  Noel Thorpe has done a pretty damn good job of making our "stars" look very pedestrian.  That said, it didn't help that our starting offense didn't play a single rep in the preseason.  That's on our coaching staff and, to a lesser extent, the players for not advocating for themselves. 

The organization has enjoyed so much success the last half decade that complacency may be setting in - I don't see the hunger or urgency any longer.  Montreal on the other hand looks like they want it.  That goes back to last year and their Grey Cup run.

Three turds for this one:

• Zach Collaros - I'm not going to jump on the Zach is cooked bandwagon but last night was a continuation of what we've seen at various points over the last couple of years.  In the game day thread I asked what QB will we see and sadly we got the guy who looks like a deer in headlights.
  • Sergio Castillo - even recognizing that the chipped ball may have played a role in what happened last night, he's paid to do one job and do it well.  I think he would recognize that wasn't his best effort.
  •  Mitchell - another guy I called out in the game day thread and a guy I've never been sold on. He sort of demonstrated why last night but will acknowledge that he's never been asked to return kicks in a game (up here) before last night. 

Even with some of the defensive struggles last night (which I think largely stems from guys not playing together a whole lot), they did enough to win the game had the offense showed up.  I didn't think BA looked terrible, he's still a physical presence but he doesn't have the range he used to.  WJ was invisible - still has to be accounted for but was hoping for more last night. The secondary, in general, will play better the more they play together and I sort of figured that chemistry and communication would be an issue early.  Overall though, this side of the ball wasn't the issue.

Three stars:

• Chris Streveler - guy played with more heart and emotion than anyone else on our offense - he's hungry, he still has the dawg in him, he still has a sense of urgency.
  • Devin Adams - for a guy still playing his way into game shape, he was disruptive and made his presence felt.
  • Terrell Bonds - got tested a few times and was solid, really happy with his addition to the backfield.

I think I saw Mitchell throw up the fair catch symbol once or twice so shows where he’s at. Paging Chris smith

to put a bow on this game. I shut it off with 3 minutes to go. I’ve never once done that ever. Even the Kelly years. And any other season I’d always watch till the end   Hell Matt nichols used to put up all his yards the last 3 minutes. I shut it off cuz I was so disgusted. Just seemed like the effort level wasn’t there on the O side of things. It was pissing me off and when it does that, off it goes. It’s supposed to be entertaining. Last nights game was not entertaining at all. There was not one time where I was legit entertained by the bombers play. I think they owe all of Winnipeg an apology. It’s like the jets players kidnapped them and played instead cuz the last time I saw an effort like that was against the Colorado avalanche. 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, voodoochylde said:

I'm going to simply say there's a lot of over-reaction going on but also some very valid and warranted concerns.   

I think Montreal, at least defensively, is one of those teams we don't match up well with.  Noel Thorpe has done a pretty damn good job of making our "stars" look very pedestrian.  That said, it didn't help that our starting offense didn't play a single rep in the preseason.  That's on our coaching staff and, to a lesser extent, the players for not advocating for themselves. 

The organization has enjoyed so much success the last half decade that complacency may be setting in - I don't see the hunger or urgency any longer.  Montreal on the other hand looks like they want it.  That goes back to last year and their Grey Cup run.

Three turds for this one:

• Zach Collaros - I'm not going to jump on the Zach is cooked bandwagon but last night was a continuation of what we've seen at various points over the last couple of years.  In the game day thread I asked what QB will we see and sadly we got the guy who looks like a deer in headlights.
  • Sergio Castillo - even recognizing that the chipped ball may have played a role in what happened last night, he's paid to do one job and do it well.  I think he would recognize that wasn't his best effort.
  •  Mitchell - another guy I called out in the game day thread and a guy I've never been sold on. He sort of demonstrated why last night but will acknowledge that he's never been asked to return kicks in a game (up here) before last night. 

Even with some of the defensive struggles last night (which I think largely stems from guys not playing together a whole lot), they did enough to win the game had the offense showed up.  I didn't think BA looked terrible, he's still a physical presence but he doesn't have the range he used to.  WJ was invisible - still has to be accounted for but was hoping for more last night. The secondary, in general, will play better the more they play together and I sort of figured that chemistry and communication would be an issue early.  Overall though, this side of the ball wasn't the issue.

Three stars:

• Chris Streveler - guy played with more heart and emotion than anyone else on our offense - he's hungry, he still has the dawg in him, he still has a sense of urgency.
  • Devin Adams - for a guy still playing his way into game shape, he was disruptive and made his presence felt.
  • Terrell Bonds - got tested a few times and was solid, really happy with his addition to the backfield.

Well put. Also worthy of a star is Cole. Huge pick, couple great STs stops, some really good plays as the sub on D. Dudes a stud. 

55 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

On the bright side there was a safety off a missed field goal. Gotta say, never seen that before.

Ive seen it a couple times, never seen a guy keep his job after doing it though. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Forget the fumble, Mitchell just seemed totally unaware of how to actually track the ball after it left the punters foot and was scrambling to get to the right part of the field.

Yep. He was really off a few times. He also hesitates every single time he gets close to the first point of contact. That's when you need to be hitting it hard.