Kenny Lawler.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Honestly what I’m worried about most is that he’s going to do something stupid while he’s injured. 

If he stays out of trouble, he’ll be back for the games that matter

Yup keep him quarantined please and thank you. 

So how long is Smith going to be on the shelf....We don't know bugger all about his injury ...or is he just nic'd...We need help right now in the return game ....Mitchell did not look like the answer .....Maybe we were just spoiled having Grant BUT I didn't see any flashes from Mitchell that would make the return dept. better than just 'competent' and the fumble leading to a td didn't help his cause.... We really don't know if Smith is the answer ....As I recall most of his returns were about as good as Mitchell's and the td return was definitely the only bright spot .... Nothing wrong with having a good look at Worthy....we know he can fly

If Chris Smith is close to returning I would just let the cap savings build up and give chances to the players we already have and keep evaluating. The longer we wait to bring in veteran reinforcements the more vets we can bring in essentially. I would like to see what Pokey Wilson does with an expanded role. 

Edited by Colin Unger

11 hours ago, Mike said:

Honestly what I’m worried about most is that he’s going to do something stupid while he’s injured. 

Pretty remote chance of him doing that. 

On 2024-06-07 at 7:34 PM, JohnnyAbonny said:

If they have a chance, they need to sign Worthy/Alford regardless of Chris Smith, they could always sign and PR him when healthy. They need a real returner for next game. 

I’ve said this before but Nick Moore was a great signing. Even though he didn’t do all that much, it was the big FA signing Walters needed at the time to show that the club wasn’t cheaping out anymore. First top-level FA to be willing to come here since god knows when before that. Christ, maybe Dunnigan. 
It opened the floodgates for ‘16 when they brought in Harris, Dressler ect. That all had to start somewhere. 

I'll disagree & say Stanley Bryant was the guy who started our turnaround. He could have stayed in calgary & be part of two Grey Cups while we struggled. To see a generational player like that come here was absolutely amazing. Once a player of his calibre came here then others followed. 

7 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

If Chris Smith is close to returning I would just let the cap savings build up and give chances to the players we already have and keep evaluating. The longer we wait to bring in veteran reinforcements the more vets we can bring in essentially. I would like to see what Pokey Wilson does with an expanded role. 

Like we evaluated returners last year? We knew in 5 minutes they all sucked.

On 2024-06-08 at 9:24 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'll disagree & say Stanley Bryant was the guy who started our turnaround. He could have stayed in calgary & be part of two Grey Cups while we struggled. To see a generational player like that come here was absolutely amazing. Once a player of his calibre came here then others followed. 

Like we evaluated returners last year? We knew in 5 minutes they all sucked.

Right, for sure Bryant was more impactful.

My point was more like, Nick Moore was the first consensus #1 FA at his position whom they actually got to come to Winnipeg in probably 20 years.
Even Drew Willy that year wasn’t “their guy” until the better QBs had signed. 

Just now, JohnnyAbonny said:

Right, for sure Bryant was more impactful.

My point was more like, Nick Moore was the first consensus #1 FA at his position whom they actually got to come to Winnipeg in probably 20 years.
Even Drew Willy that year wasn’t “their guy” until the better QBs had signed. 

IIRC, the three top qb free agents in 2014 were 1. Zach Colaros. 2. Mike Reilly & 3. Drew Willy. The first two were never coming here. Willy had nowhere else to go. Willy with that gdmnd shitty OL took more pounding than a piniatta at a children's party. He had no chance to succeed here. In the end, the punishment he took as our qb gave him PTSD. He was seeing phantom defensive ends & linebackers coming at him from everywhere. He was finished when he was traded to the Argos.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

IIRC, the three top qb free agents in 2014 were 1. Zach Colaros. 2. Mike Reilly & 3. Drew Willy. The first two were never coming here. Willy had nowhere else to go. Willy with that gdmnd shitty OL took more pounding than a piniatta at a children's party. He had no chance to succeed here. In the end, the punishment he took as our qb gave him PTSD. He was seeing phantom defensive ends & linebackers coming at him from everywhere. He was finished when he was traded to the Argos.

It was Collaros, Burris, Willy but I mean, we all know Willy wasn’t anyones first choice out of those 3, including the Bombers. 

Regardless of merit, Moore was the unquestioned #1 free agent WR that year and   the Bombers signed him. That scenario was unheard of previously. 

On 2024-06-08 at 5:53 AM, Mike said:

I think he learned his lesson. I'm sure he'll be fine. I'm wondering if the Bombers bring Lawler back next season.

21 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

It was Collaros, Burris, Willy but I mean, we all know Willy wasn’t anyones first choice out of those 3, including the Bombers. 

Regardless of merit, Moore was the unquestioned #1 free agent WR that year and   the Bombers signed him. That scenario was unheard of previously. 

Yeah in 2014, Moore definitely was the top WR in 2014 - he could have gone anywhere (if he didn't get an NFL look) but chose to come Here.  Bryant came in 2015 where he (arguably) wasn't the best OL available until Ben Heenan & Brett Jones both signed NFL deals.

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Yeah in 2014, Moore definitely was the top WR in 2014 - he could have gone anywhere (if he didn't get an NFL look) but chose to come Here.  Bryant came in 2015 where he (arguably) wasn't the best OL available until Ben Heenan & Brett Jones both signed NFL deals.

Right. Bryant was highly rated but it was questioned weather he was a product of the Stamps system at the time. I recall Ben Heenan being the big get pre-FA that year. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

36 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think he learned his lesson. I'm sure he'll be fine. I'm wondering if the Bombers bring Lawler back next season.

I can honestly see them moving on from him after this year, especially if production doesn't match the salary.  That said, it's not like the Bombers have brought in many receivers who look like they can take the step and be the next Lawler, Demski or Schoen (and it's not like they've given guys many chances to show they can be).