WEEK TWO GAMEDAY THREAD - BOMBERS @ REDBLACKS

Just now, 17to85 said:

They have, but cracks started to show last season big time and in this business if you're standing still you're getting worse... We're still relying on the core from 2019 and it's 5 years later. 

Some parts of it.  Harris basically dragged us into the cup in 21.  A lot of key pieces from back then not here anymore.

Never replaced them.  For one, Jeffcoat.  Jefferson isn't a guy who is consistently productive without a real solid pass rusher opposite.

I'm glad we didn't lose by having the league call the game with 2 minutes left. Now we only have ourselves to blame.   I think we will be ok once the offensive line gel's.  I think they offensive line played pretty horribly last season through 3 or 4 weeks before pulling it together.  I'll never forget the week 3 game vs BC last year. Nothing this year has quite rivaled that level of inept pass blocking. 

The roster management is certainly poor. Which i'm ok with when we are still winning the majority of our games. But right now its pretty frustrating to see Zach getting lit up because we think starting a guy like Augustin is acceptable. We need a dynamic running back starting all games to keep the defense honest. No reason not to have an american running back around for games where Brady isn't able to play.

One plus with all the injuries is that its got players like Wheatfall on the field. He looks like a real keeper. Looking forward to him continuing to develop with an enhanced role and see him in a core of Lawler, Schoen, Demski, Wheatfall, and Woli down the stretch. 

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

on a positive note with the loss....a crappy undeserved win would have glossed this over and 100 percent would have been reason enough to change absolutely nothing....so there is a silver lining there

Mason Bennett...Jonathon Kongbo....Tre Thomas even....

Lets sign Kongbo to be another Canadian starter and still ride it out with Augustin at RB and Thomas at DT  :P

Just now, 17to85 said:

They have, but cracks started to show last season big time and in this business if you're standing still you're getting worse... We're still relying on the core from 2019 and it's 5 years later. 

Agreed, I would have loved to see some changes. How though, do you ship off Zach who had what - I think career numbers last year... after everything he did here. For his back up who showed well, but not as the leader of the team. 

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Some parts of it.  Harris basically dragged us into the cup in 21.  A lot of key pieces from back then not here anymore.

Never replaced them.  For one, Jeffcoat.  Jefferson isn't a guy who is consistently productive without a real solid pass rusher opposite.

you can tell though that Oshea feels bighill and jefferson and collaros and alexander are still the same guys they were. In my opinion they had the bodies in camp this year to make some changes and just didn't... seeing how well a guy like adams has stepped in and been arguably the teams best player through 2 games tells me they just made the wrong call on a lot of guys in preseason.

1 minute ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

How though, do you ship off Zach who had what - I think career numbers last year... after everything he did here.

by looking at some of the problems Zach started to show last year and taking a bold move.... you save a pile in salary and get younger... Collaros at best had a couple seasons left in him. Brown outplayed him last year (albeit in extremely limited time). I think it was a bold move that could have paid off because you could likely parlay Collaros in the offseason into a big return. 

2 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Agreed, I would have loved to see some changes. How though, do you ship off Zach who had what - I think career numbers last year... after everything he did here. For his back up who showed well, but not as the leader of the team. 

Lets face it..  Ottawa fielded the vastly superior offensive line, runningback and receiving core. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

you can tell though that Oshea feels bighill and jefferson and collaros and alexander are still the same guys they were. In my opinion they had the bodies in camp this year to make some changes and just didn't... seeing how well a guy like adams has stepped in and been arguably the teams best player through 2 games tells me they just made the wrong call on a lot of guys in preseason.

Other thing is you drop some of these guys in January you free up free agent money.  Obviously we have a lot in 4 guys on O but...Bighill/Wilson, Jefferson, Neufeld, Alexander...move on from them bring in a couple solid CFL guys and a replace a couple with young guys.  Are we a better team?  Maybe we go get Pickett or someone like that on D.  Get a bit of refresh.

10 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Lets face it..  Ottawa fielded the vastly superior offensive line, runningback and receiving core. 

did they? before we lost half our DL to injury Brown was under fire too and we hardly gave augustine the ball but when he got it he was productive. Yeah the receivers didnt shine overly much but neither did Ottawas really. Biggest thing is Ottawa for a shorter field than Winnipeg most times. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

by looking at some of the problems Zach started to show last year and taking a bold move.... you save a pile in salary and get younger... Collaros at best had a couple seasons left in him. Brown outplayed him last year (albeit in extremely limited time). I think it was a bold move that could have paid off because you could likely parlay Collaros in the offseason into a big return. 

Its all together possible that that move would have payed off.   But its also pretty risky. Edmonton tried something similar when they traded Ricky Ray to the Argos and it didn't really work out so well.  

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Its all together possible that that move would have payed off.   But its also pretty risky. Edmonton tried something similar when they traded Ricky Ray to the Argos and it didn't really work out so well.  

That's a terrible comparison. Ricky Ray was a much better QB than Collaros has ever  been and wasn't at the end of his career to the same extent that Collaros was. Never mind that Brown is a better young qb than Jyles ever was. 

be more like if BC had kept Reilly and traded whoever was their starter at the time (was it Lulay?) 

Just now, Brandon said:

I missed the game (again) ,  can anyone do a mini odds and sods of what went wrong?   

OL sucked, Collaros sucked, didn't even try and get the run game going, DBs forgot they can use their arms when trying to tackle, lack of DL depth cost them when Fox and Haba get hurt early. O'shea smirked while wearing shorts. 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I missed the game (again) ,  can anyone do a mini odds and sods of what went wrong?   

Collaros still off … not terrible but couple bozo plays were back breakers

play calling 1st and 7 with 60 seconds left a lot to be desired

no trust in JA to do anything much beyond be the “starter”

some combo of Neuf/Kolo killing us on the interior line

Lord Keric looks like a keeper

Haba, Fox both out after the first half … Devin Adams looked like a stud, JT looked like JT

Biggie, Wilson, BA all looked washed in the tackling game

Nichols hurt, Bridges TBD on performance

Kramdi came to play, intense game, results were mixed

Sheahan stinky

Myron Mitchell extra stinky

Castillo no chipped balls in the chipped balls

Its not a terrible comparison. The main difference was Ray being younger. Its so rare in the CFL that a team will trade the top QB in the league that you had to make up a hypothetical situation to provide a comparison. 

And no you can't exactly compare Dru Brown to a guy like Lulay. I think Dru Brown will probably be a good starter but he hasn't yet proven that. 

6 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Im not convinced that Haba and Fox getting hurt won't end up being a blessing in disguise. I'd love for us to be forced to bring in some outside talent and put Woods back on the roster. 

I’m not convinced Haba is the answer. He’s been underwhelming tbh. Kind of got handed the job in camp. 

8 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Its not a terrible comparison. The main difference was Ray being younger. Its so rare in the CFL that a team will trade the top QB in the league that you had to make up a hypothetical situation to provide a comparison. 

And no you can't exactly compare Dru Brown to a guy like Lulay. I think Dru Brown will probably be a good starter but he hasn't yet proven that. 

The comparison was to Reilly and Brown had thrown more than 2x the passes Reilly did by the time he was given the franchise job in Edmonton with far better results.

Brown is as proven as anyone in this era before they get a starting job.  He’s a very good QB today and quite likely to be a great one.

Instead of all of us always bitching at O'Shea which is justified, when are we going to turn our attention to Walters for letting this whole situation with the team develop? We lose 2 young Canadian Offensive linemen to NFL tryouts. We didn't bring any of them back. They were signed elsewhere in the CFL. We needed them back. Yet, we keep guys whose best before date was 2022.