WEEK TWO GAMEDAY THREAD - BOMBERS @ REDBLACKS

1 hour ago, Booch said:

on a positive note with the loss....a crappy undeserved win would have glossed this over and 100 percent would have been reason enough to change absolutely nothing....so there is a silver lining there

Mason Bennett...Jonathon Kongbo....Tre Thomas even....

That cut really pissed me off.  How many plays did the guy need to make? 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

100% why is he even on the team at this point?

Also what happened to bully ball?

It turned 37

34 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I missed the game (again) ,  can anyone do a mini odds and sods of what went wrong?   

Almost to a man, they played like absolute trash for the better part of 3 quarters. Oline was 2013 or 1997 bad.

They almost pulled it off in spite of themselves, then ****** it all up again in the end. 
They brought in Strev to let him do less than Dan LeFevour. 

ST just as awful as ever. Mitchell actually the worst CFL returner I’ve seen in ages. 

Devin Adams was good.
Augustine had as good of a game as he can I guess. 
Demski had one really nice catch. 

Lord Keric looked like a pro. 

Ottawas punter got a misconduct penalty, that was funny..

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Instead of all of us always bitching at O'Shea which is justified, when are we going to turn our attention to Walters for letting this whole situation with the team develop? We lose 2 young Canadian Offensive linemen to NFL tryouts. We didn't bring any of them back. They were signed elsewhere in the CFL. We needed them back. Yet, we keep guys whose best before date was 2022.

To be fair that aligned with the majority of the retained roster getting raises. Kongbo got premium starter cash and wasn’t a starter and desjarlais got crazy money. I don’t blame Walter’s for losing those two. 

If I blame Walter’s for any thing it’s not reigning in mos rosters and cuts. 

Currently there are many things ailing the Bombers but, imo, it starts with the O line. I wasn't impressed with our centre (67) last year and after two games this year, I'm even less impressed. He may be consistent with his snaps but there's more to playing the position than that. As a football player, he makes a better matador, a whole lot of ole-ing going on. I don't understand why Eli isn't getting a shot at the position.

I've got to convince myself that making the playoffs is all that matters. It's going to be a long season for us Bomber fans.

7 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’m not convinced Haba is the answer. He’s been underwhelming tbh. Kind of got handed the job in camp. 

Only because Garbutt is hurt.  They were both competing for that DE spot until Garbutt got hurt so the job (at least for now) went to Haba.

45 minutes ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

Currently there are many things ailing the Bombers but, imo, it starts with the O line. I wasn't impressed with our centre (67) last year and after two games this year, I'm even less impressed. He may be consistent with his snaps but there's more to playing the position than that. As a football player, he makes a better matador, a whole lot of ole-ing going on. I don't understand why Eli isn't getting a shot at the position.

I've got to convince myself that making the playoffs is all that matters. It's going to be a long season for us Bomber fans.

Especially because we've been so spoiled the last number of years.

I started calling out our interior line play VERY EARLY last season. It was atrocious then and it's gotten worse this year. I don't know whether it's schematic, lack of talent or lack of communication but Dobson, Kola and Neufeld are not playing well as a unit and I'm not entirely convinced that Eli would make much of a difference either (it couldn't be worse). Until they sort out the protection up front, this is what we have to look forward to.

40 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Haba was one of the real bright spots against Montreal so I don't agree with this assessment.

Was he though? Or was he just a guy who had a steady performance.  It's not like he was particularly disruptive or jumped off the page.  He was just kind of there.  Not flashy but not a liability either.

He's the kind of guy (and one of many) who should have been pushed harder to keep a roster spot in camp.  

44 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Haba was one of the real bright spots against Montreal so I don't agree with this assessment.

Was he really though? Couple early pressures, 1 tackle. Drew a holding penalty. 

It’s not like he had a bunch of sacks or TFL. 

I guess, like everyone else I think he needs to be part of the rotation. The days of 4 DL playing the whole game are gone. 

5 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Was he though? Or was he just a guy who had a steady performance.  It's not like he was particularly disruptive or jumped off the page.  He was just kind of there.  Not flashy but not a liability either.

He's the kind of guy (and one of many) who should have been pushed harder to keep a roster spot in camp.  

I thought that Tyson Upshaw showed more in preseason than Haba has since he’s been here. Same with Chauncey Rivers. 

The club really **** the bed this TC in so many ways. 

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

Haba can pack up and move on honestly. Guy can't stay healthy. He's a poor mans JJ.

I'm a firm believe that teams always need to be developing the "next one" .. they have to balance veteran leadership with staying young, hungry and fresh but honestly, I'd take Jeffcoat's half season - with a solid rotation behind him - vs anything Haba has shown.  

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I was at baseball last night. That did not end well.

So, at least I have my Blue Bombers, who surely turned it around this week and lay a whooping on the lowly RedBlacks, right? Riiiight? 

Yes, 😑

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Any one get the cliff notes from the coaches show 

“The process is still good. We’ve got a lot of good guys that know how to play the game”

”I don’t think we were going in the wrong direction” 

busted out “Zach gives us the best chance to win”

Condescending to Doug. “There’s a lot that goes into it” 

“The same process. We’ll show them the real reasons why they won or lost, not what everyone wants to talk about” 

re: Lord Keric: “There was a lot of chatter on the ‘thing’ about his position”

Is “on the thing” MBB?! 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

To be fair that aligned with the majority of the retained roster getting raises. Kongbo got premium starter cash and wasn’t a starter and desjarlais got crazy money. I don’t blame Walter’s for losing those two. 

If I blame Walter’s for any thing it’s not reigning in mos rosters and cuts. 

The only thing I’d blame Walters for is watching our 36 year old QB get outplayed by the 26 year old we developed and let go for nothing. 

I can't for the life of my make sense of why Eli isn't starting. He's probably the best Canadian offensive linemen we have at this point. The pass protection has been horrible. Zach isn't as mobile in the pocket as he once was and has a history of getting shell shocked when he's got no blocking in front of him. With our wealth of Canadian starters Id even be open to starting Eli at center and an American at right guard. No excuse to accept the currently level of play from the centre/right guard positions. 

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I know you love him, but Kongbo has made less impact as a CFL player than one of your whipping boys Kramdi. 

I'd take him on the roster, as a rotational piece he adds value but he's not going to fix all the problems. I'd start by apologizing to some of the DL/LBs from preseason and seeing if they'll come back and make merit based decisions on play time rather than who's been around a long time

I don't understand the Kongbo love.  He was invisible last year with Hamilton.  Who knows, if what happened in BC is true?

Don’t worry guys, our washed up vets aren’t going anywhere. 

O’Shea is the weakest link. He’s the problem. Dressing 6 DL.  Hanging on to washed up vets (neufeld Jake BA) 

if I’m wade or Kyle I’m calling O’Shea in for a chat to explain to me just exactly what the **** he’s doing. Cuz he looks dumb founded. It’s almost like he feels the older guys should be getting better and not falling off cliffs. But every older player in the history of time has fallen and all our guys are now doing it at the same time.  Was there a vet who has had a good game after 2 weeks. O’Shea seriously feels like he’s the be all and know all. He’s the booch of the bombers. The arrogance just jumps off the page when he speaks. It’s never the obvious thing with Oshea. It’s always only something he’s aware of that US fans can’t pick up on. Cuz we don’t know the play. That’s not a direct O’Shea quote but almost and that’s concerning O’Shea needs to be the smartest guy in the room when it’s apparent he’s not. 

Edited by Goalie

Actually, in retrospect only, our drafting has been pretty miss last few years. 

Passed up Nicastro to take Dobson for one example. 
Took Anthony Bennett in the first round over literally anyone else. 

There’s been some mistakes

9 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

I don't understand the Kongbo love.  He was invisible last year with Hamilton.  Who knows, if what happened in BC is true?

Thing is, Kongbo aged too, like all the guys we’re pissed about. 
We need impact players 26 and under. That’s what’s missing the most. 

55 minutes ago, JCon said:

I was at baseball last night. That did not end well.

So, at least I have my Blue Bombers, who surely turned it around this week and lay a whooping on the lowly RedBlacks, right? Riiiight? 

Ohhhhh young Paddiwan, you have much to learn.