WEEK TWO GAMEDAY THREAD - BOMBERS @ REDBLACKS

I don't think this is insert players name here fault. To me this is a bigger issue, take one or two guys out and IMO the end result is the same.

Offence was terrible, Zach was terrible, but his blocking was terrible, our run game was terrible 42 total yards, we abandoned it and became one dimensional, we didn't use misdirection, screens, sweeps, or even Strevelor....is he hurt?? we only converted 30% of our second downs and only 40% of our pass attempts. It was hot garbage....Eli and/or another import o-lineman would not have changed this. This is far, far deeper than changing out a guy or two....

Special teams, Castillo was "unchipped" 33yard net punt average is not good enough, our coverage teams was poor again...even with "125 LB's" on the roster, Mitchel didn't fumble and his blocking was terrible, completly terrible, he was swallowed up instantly, yes, he has not shown great, but again insert players name here with that blocking and IMO the numbers would not have been any better

Defence....oh boy only dressing 6 DL really bit them in the arrse....At the beginning with all six we were collapsing the pocket and getting pressure, then Habba went down, then Fox went down and the remaining four guys were exhausted, overworked and gassed...completely not fair for them, not to mention Jake has never had great stamina, Schmek looked like he was about to puke every time the defence came off, Willy simply had no more in the tank to give, and Adams isn't even an end to begin with, never mind in full game cardio condition. It's actually almost impressive that the defence sort of kept us in this game, condidering we had an exhausted, slow D-line for almost the entire game. For the love of all things, dress more D-line!!!!!!!

Intangibles....Hardrick was pure energy, he exuded love for "his" guys Baily was emotional and intense, Harris, remember "you got my back"......maybe it's not always about pure athlete talent and skillset....maybe we have let too many emotional leaders get away, maybe we need this back.....so the question is who/how, do we have that in house??? Is there a vet out there that can bring that????

So my rant in short is this.......roster better, Osh, step in and improve this specials unit overall, and Buck figure out what you have and figure out a game plan to use them, because this game you didn't set them up to succeed...and maybe we do need a change along the o-line, hell maybe we need to play 6 O-line heavy set more until Brady is back, and/or Zach gets his rhythm back, and unless Streveler is hurt, get him involved and please find the intensity......right now no ones "got my back"

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

#FreeEli

Entire O-Line needs remedial pass pro classes. And even smash-mouth run blocking is a major challenge with this group.
Look at the trouble Bombers had gaining inches on 3rd down. Zero push. They got molested vs Montreal too. Yes #FreeEli. Bring back Geoff Gray. How long is Dobson out?
This must be why Buck called only 14 run plays that averaged 3 YPC for a funky 42 total yards in a RAIN GAME. Actually he might have just called 12 runs since a couple were hapless attempts by Collaros to run out of trouble. If I am Strev or Augustine - a pair of terrific runners - I am pissed at such squandered opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Entire O-Line needs remedial pass pro classes. And even smash-mouth run blocking is a major challenge with this group.
Look at the trouble Bombers had gaining inches on 3rd down. Zero push. They got molested vs Montreal too. Yes #FreeEli. Bring back Geoff Gray. How long is Dobson out?
This must be why Buck called only 14 run plays that averaged 3 YPC for a funky 42 total yards in a RAIN GAME. Actually he might have just called 12 runs since a couple were hapless attempts by Collaros to run out of trouble. If I am Strev or Augustine - a pair of terrific runners - I am pissed at such squandered opportunity.

He’s gotta be hurt.
Please tell me they can’t be that stupid not to use him in the exact situation they brought him back for right?

7 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Those saying we would be better off with a duo of Brown and Streveler, be careful what you wish for. Buck has so far shown he has no idea what to do with Strev, and his idea so far is to get him to repeatedly dive up the middle into a limp pile.

We’d be better off with just Brown at this point. 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

He’s gotta be hurt.
Please tell me they can’t be that stupid not to use him in the exact situation they brought him back for right?

We’d be better off with just Brown at this point. 

The problem is that they've never given teams any indication he's not running the ball when he's on the field - it's an easy key. 

I don't believe he's hurt (beyond what happened in the game last week).  I believe they are content to have him be this one-dimensional thing which is maddening to me.

Just now, voodoochylde said:

The problem is that they've never given teams any indication he's not running the ball when he's on the field - it's an easy key. 

I don't believe he's hurt (beyond what happened in the game last week).  I believe they are content to have him be this one-dimensional thing which is maddening to me.

That’s just it. 
They let bloody Dakota Proukop throw a deep ball in the Grey cup yet there’s nothing for the guy who’s actually proven to be able to complete them? WTAF? 

9 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Im not convinced that Haba and Fox getting hurt won't end up being a blessing in disguise. I'd love for us to be forced to bring in some outside talent and put Woods back on the roster. 

Fox would be a massive loss...Already losing Garbutt was big...now Haba....with no end even in town other than WJ...thats crippling if we don't fix that....last night already

Woods being left off as well....is a total WTF moment on the Coach....Not having kept Rosery...or brought in a power import back...even a just legit back...(there are tons out there) ....even picking up Bellamy in Cgy who was cut could fill in nice in the meantime...and be cheap...plus Bellamy can return too,  when they know that obviously BO is not 100 percent, and Chris Smith is out. Piss poor forward thinking and roster maintenance...let alone management. Just the ol reliance on the "guys in house are all starters b.s" 

Just the fact too...first and goal...inside the ten....and we didnt have Strev out there...either with ZC or solo....or Lined in the backfield with JA and at minimum for the defence to at least respect the option...or try and decide who to key on.... and ran the ball on first down...probably should have on 2nd too....shows that we have no clue at times and are consistently now being out coached and out mannned....and it starts at OSH....

we have nothing for depth now in town for DE and DT if Fox is out longterm....Haba is a certainty after reviewing his injury...does this meen next week we running out WJ...and Adams....with Scmeck..Thomas....Hubert??...and by default now Samson??....good god....I feel sorry for WJ as he can only do so much and gets shat on saying he not effective....

If Johnson isnt in for Wilson, and anyone else for Mitchell...something is seriously wrong with the coaching...same with Kolo should be swapped out to see what that does with the interior...as it all starts at center...work your way from there....

It's funny how when you have top end talent in their prime, and young depth behind them how you win....but when that goes away and you don't recharge your lineup...well we seeing exactly whats happening and how a lot of the success and wins, easily glossed over the warts, and now the deficiencies in the HC that been there right since day one...are totally being exposed...and exploited....I am certain opposing teams can't wait to see Osh's depth charts and have a good snicker over some the things....garuantee they do about the Nationlized American as have had guys from other orgz ask me why the eff he isnt using it...My response each time is he's an arrogant idiot....and nobody has disagreed....

I’m starting to come up with this theory that O’Shea had the time of his life on the 2004 Argos and everything he does roster-wise is a vain attempt to recreate it. 

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Completely disagree... he was disrupting things for faj all night.

He also disappeared for long stretches. 
My point was more like that he or anyone isn’t going to be the answer if they’re taking more than 50% of the reps in a game at that spot. 

IMO, Haba would be most effective with 15-20 snaps. He’s not big enough to get pounded by OTs for more than that. 

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Any one get the cliff notes from the coaches show 

dline being gassed wasnt an issue...ask the players and they wanna be out there for 100 percent of snaps....

ZC was good...gave us a chance to win

in a nutshell

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Yes.

-Management

I'm up!

2 hours ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

Currently there are many things ailing the Bombers but, imo, it starts with the O line. I wasn't impressed with our centre (67) last year and after two games this year, I'm even less impressed. He may be consistent with his snaps but there's more to playing the position than that. As a football player, he makes a better matador, a whole lot of ole-ing going on. I don't understand why Eli isn't getting a shot at the position.

I've got to convince myself that making the playoffs is all that matters. It's going to be a long season for us Bomber fans.

he cant keep engaged...or follow thru until play is done...which usually ends up bad...also just gets trucked right into the backfield all too often....

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Only because Garbutt is hurt.  They were both competing for that DE spot until Garbutt got hurt so the job (at least for now) went to Haba.

but we had to have a third guy too for optimu rotation....and where is that guy...especially when Garbutt was put on IR?....

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I thought that Tyson Upshaw showed more in preseason than Haba has since he’s been here. Same with Chauncey Rivers. 

The club really **** the bed this TC in so many ways. 

Upshaw totally should have been on the PR

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

I can't for the life of my make sense of why Eli isn't starting. He's probably the best Canadian offensive linemen we have at this point. The pass protection has been horrible. Zach isn't as mobile in the pocket as he once was and has a history of getting shell shocked when he's got no blocking in front of him. With our wealth of Canadian starters Id even be open to starting Eli at center and an American at right guard. No excuse to accept the currently level of play from the centre/right guard positions. 

Teachers pet syndrome

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Don’t worry guys, our washed up vets aren’t going anywhere. 

O’Shea is the weakest link. He’s the problem. Dressing 6 DL.  Hanging on to washed up vets (neufeld Jake BA) 

if I’m wade or Kyle I’m calling O’Shea in for a chat to explain to me just exactly what the **** he’s doing. Cuz he looks dumb founded. It’s almost like he feels the older guys should be getting better and not falling off cliffs. But every older player in the history of time has fallen and all our guys are now doing it at the same time.  Was there a vet who has had a good game after 2 weeks. O’Shea seriously feels like he’s the be all and know all. He’s the booch of the bombers. The arrogance just jumps off the page when he speaks. It’s never the obvious thing with Oshea. It’s always only something he’s aware of that US fans can’t pick up on. Cuz we don’t know the play. That’s not a direct O’Shea quote but almost and that’s concerning O’Shea needs to be the smartest guy in the room when it’s apparent he’s not. 

he's a total arrogant smug fella...just like he was on the field...he was also a real prick too....and treats his fanbase and media now like one so to speak.....I have zero qualms with him being gone...10 yrs is a long time to be a HC and we seeing what happens to all overly tenured coaches in real-time right now

21 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

I don't think this is insert players name here fault. To me this is a bigger issue, take one or two guys out and IMO the end result is the same.

Offence was terrible, Zach was terrible, but his blocking was terrible, our run game was terrible 42 total yards, we abandoned it and became one dimensional, we didn't use misdirection, screens, sweeps, or even Strevelor....is he hurt?? we only converted 30% of our second downs and only 40% of our pass attempts. It was hot garbage....Eli and/or another import o-lineman would not have changed this. This is far, far deeper than changing out a guy or two....

Special teams, Castillo was "unchipped" 33yard net punt average is not good enough, our coverage teams was poor again...even with "125 LB's" on the roster, Mitchel didn't fumble and his blocking was terrible, completly terrible, he was swallowed up instantly, yes, he has not shown great, but again insert players name here with that blocking and IMO the numbers would not have been any better

Defence....oh boy only dressing 6 DL really bit them in the arrse....At the beginning with all six we were collapsing the pocket and getting pressure, then Habba went down, then Fox went down and the remaining four guys were exhausted, overworked and gassed...completely not fair for them, not to mention Jake has never had great stamina, Schmek looked like he was about to puke every time the defence came off, Willy simply had no more in the tank to give, and Adams isn't even an end to begin with, never mind in full game cardio condition. It's actually almost impressive that the defence sort of kept us in this game, condidering we had an exhausted, slow D-line for almost the entire game. For the love of all things, dress more D-line!!!!!!!

Intangibles....Hardrick was pure energy, he exuded love for "his" guys Baily was emotional and intense, Harris, remember "you got my back"......maybe it's not always about pure athlete talent and skillset....maybe we have let too many emotional leaders get away, maybe we need this back.....so the question is who/how, do we have that in house??? Is there a vet out there that can bring that????

So my rant in short is this.......roster better, Osh, step in and improve this specials unit overall, and Buck figure out what you have and figure out a game plan to use them, because this game you didn't set them up to succeed...and maybe we do need a change along the o-line, hell maybe we need to play 6 O-line heavy set more until Brady is back, and/or Zach gets his rhythm back, and unless Streveler is hurt, get him involved and please find the intensity......right now no ones "got my back"

There’s something to this. 
Andrew in particular, his whole life has had that intangible. He brings something extra, unquantifiable. 

6 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

My point was more like that he or anyone isn’t going to be the answer if they’re taking more than 50% of the reps in a game at that spot. 

IMO, Haba would be most effective with 15-20 snaps. He’s not big enough to get pounded by OTs for more than that. 

Said of any end these days. 8 dl rotating through was the key in 2019 and 2021 it should still be the key now especially with guys getting older.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Said of any end these days. 8 dl rotating through was the key in 2019 and 2021 it should still be the key now especially with guys getting older.

Agree on that as a statement. Slightly disagree in relation to Haba in particular, a more solid  DE could handle more reps. 

If they’re going to be stubborn and only dress 5/6, that’s where I think Haba is definitely not the answer. 

1 minute ago, Booch said:

but we had to have a third guy too for optimu rotation....and where is that guy...especially when Garbutt was put on IR?....

Oh for sure, there's definitely issues with how the roster was assembled and the depth (or lack of it) that we have. 

I was just point out that Haba wasn't just handed Jeffcoat's starting spot. There's a good chance he would have been the rotational guy had Garbutt not gone down.  

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Who's still pretending that Augustine is an every-down back? And, why are you so wrong? 

Augustine did something with the ball when they decided to get him involved. Why they didn't use him who knows.

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

Oh for sure, there's definitely issues with how the roster was assembled and the depth (or lack of it) that we have. 

I was just point out that Haba wasn't just handed Jeffcoat's starting spot. There's a good chance he would have been the rotational guy had Garbutt not gone down.  

I think he was handed the rotational spot then. We had 2 guys who showed more imo. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

Augustine did something with the ball when they decided to get him involved. Why they didn't use him who knows.

They should have used him more in the passing game as well. 
He was godawful in pro, at least run him out on a swing or in the flats. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I think he was handed the rotational spot then. We had 2 guys who showed more imo. 

I can agree with that.  The fact none of the other DE's were kept around on the PR speaks to the issues with how the team was put together.  I realize we'll never get the answer but I'd love to know the rational behind some of those decisions.

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

yeah I hear you....but in all actuality we all know that Fox and Haba basically had that job regardless...both should have anyway...so kinda moot.....both should have been on roster last yr...we all know too that even with guys brought in...that Biggie woud be pencilled in at MLB....Kramdi at SAM.....BA at safety and Wilson at WIL and Thomas at DT....regardless if anybody blew the lights out in camp...we had several guys who actually had phenomenal camps, and would have developed into amazing talents...but where are they now...gone...gone...gone....The only way the aforementioned would NOT have got that spot right back from previous yr is if they had a leg fall off...or decided to quit....thats just facts...and how we do business..

some them would have been nice complimentary pieces...limited rotation but none should be eating majorityof snaps...one shouldn't even be rostered

8 minutes ago, BomberBall. said:

Our coach thinks Zach was good.  He hasn’t thrown a TD pass yet…. Through 2 games…. In the CFL.  We have almost as many safeties as we do offensive TDs this season.  Can’t see how that’s good.

As much as I hate Osh’s pressers, what else is he gonna say there? “He was ****”

That being said “Best chance to win” talk always makes me want to puke 

25 minutes ago, JCon said:

Who's still pretending that Augustine is an every-down back? And, why are you so wrong? 

I'm still waiting for the dude who was going on about how easy pass pro is for a running back to talk about Augustine's stellar performance last night.