WEEK TWO GAMEDAY THREAD - BOMBERS @ REDBLACKS

1 minute ago, M.Silverback said:

Changing the culture of a team is tough. Kudos to O'Shea (and Walters), for doing that. Four straight Grey Cup appearances. Can't take that away from O'Shea. Next toughest thing is knowing when to move on from some of the veterans in order to maintain that competitive, yet supportive culture. O'Shea is failing at that. One of his mistakes is thinking the "culture" is the veterans. It's not. Thinking that he has to hang on to Thomas, Neufeld, Biggie, even Collaros to some extent, to maintain the culture. It's Blue Bombers football. Like Patriots football, or Celtics basketball. Like you said, Mathews would have cut a vet. Belichick let players go all the time. Loyalty isn't about letting a player tell you when they want to stop playing. Sometimes it's about thanking them, respecting them, honoring their contributions, but telling them it's time to move on. 

Nailed it. 

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

To be fair that aligned with the majority of the retained roster getting raises. Kongbo got premium starter cash and wasn’t a starter and desjarlais got crazy money. I don’t blame Walter’s for losing those two. 

If I blame Walter’s for any thing it’s not reigning in mos rosters and cuts. 

I blame Walters for not getting back Desjarlais & Couture. We paid & kept other deadwood & O'Shea favourites & lost an all star guard & a center. How'd that work out for us last night? We haven't brought in any impact linebackers since Biggie in 2018. Not sold on our defensive line & now with the injuries to the defensive line we're in big trouble. Looking back, trying to keep the gang all here was a mistake. We needed to refresh the lineup & never did. And because of that oversight, we're at 0-2 & in big trouble. For players always wanting to come here, it seems once they leave for NFL pastures they never come back. That's all on Walters. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

In the last 3 years, having the ball on the 7 with a minute to go needing a TD, was a guaranteed win for us. This year, against a bottom dweller with 2 rookie corners, we couldn't get it done. 

Last week, I blamed the loss on lack of practices for the vets & lack of TC playing time. I expected a full week of practice to change a lot, but it really didn't.

Our O line was man handled. Our receivers dropped some balls. Collaros threw 2 picks, 0 TD's and 123 of his 285 yards were on two huge plays. 

The D gave up 130 yards rushing & 35 minutes TOP. DB's played better than last week. Note that this was against a first year starting QB who had only thrown 150 CFL passes. 

I'm pretty worried about next week against the Lions. An 0-3 start would be horrible if we want to be #1 in the West.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

In the last 3 years, having the ball on the 7 with a minute to go needing a TD, was a guaranteed win for us. This year, against a bottom dweller with 2 rookie corners, we couldn't get it done. 

Last week, I blamed the loss on lack of practices for the vets & lack of TC playing time. I expected a full week of practice to change a lot, but it really didn't.

Our O line was man handled. Our receivers dropped some balls. Collaros threw 2 picks, 0 TD's and 123 of his 285 yards were on two huge plays. 

The D gave up 130 yards rushing & 35 minutes TOP. DB's played better than last week. Note that this was against a first year starting QB who had only thrown 150 CFL passes. 

I'm pretty worried about next week against the Lions. An 0-3 start would be horrible if we want to be #1 in the West.

I don't disagree with you on this one. The training camp was a fiasco. 

16 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I blame Walters for not getting back Desjarlais & Couture. We paid & kept other deadwood & O'Shea favourites & lost an all star guard & a center. How'd that work out for us last night? We haven't brought in any impact linebackers since Biggie in 2018. Not sold on our defensive line & now with the injuries to the defensive line we're in big trouble. Looking back, trying to keep the gang all here was a mistake. We needed to refresh the lineup & never did. And because of that oversight, we're at 0-2 & in big trouble. For players always wanting to come here, it seems once they leave for NFL pastures they never come back. That's all on Walters. 

Couture really stung, but to be frank, ELI would be better if we actually started him. Desjarlais is one of my favorite linemen. Soo damn talented, nasty, and young. Money wise, I don't think you could keep the core of guys like schoen BO etc with that fat contract. Ideally, I would have kept desjarlais and built around him. Losing brown is worse imo. We can find canadian guards. Finding qbs like that is damn hard. He's making like 270k a year, as a guard. You just can't make that work long term. I'd a paid 200-maybe 225. But damn near 300k for a guard? Nah. Not even him. 

I'm willing to give the conditions some of the blame for not finishing things after the delay. But hey both teams had to play in it last night. 

Sincere question that I almost done want to ask.... If not Osh then who? And don't be Booch and say "doesn't matter... Anyone!!!" because that's ridiculous nonsense. If not Osh coaching then who?

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm willing to give the conditions some of the blame for not finishing things after the delay. But hey both teams had to play in it last night. 

Sincere question that I almost done want to ask.... If not Osh then who? And don't be Booch and say "doesn't matter... Anyone!!!" because that's ridiculous nonsense. If not Osh coaching then who?

Lapolice. No joke. He’d be an option.  I think putting this all on O’Shea tho isn’t really fair either tho. It’s not just O’Shea. Last night guys were dropping balls and missing tackles. That’s not O’Shea. A 7 yard pass was turned into a 47 yard gain because multiple players missed multiple tackles. The D not rallying to the ball carrier isn’t on O’Shea. Alexander going for the KO instead of the tackle isn’t on O’Shea. 2 DL getting hurt isn’t on O’Shea. Dressing 6 is but 2 starters got hurt. You couldn’t guess that. Dressing 9 linebackers tho is on O’Shea probably. Roster management is on O’Shea. I’m sure he gets input from buck and younger tho. 

Edited by Goalie

19 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Can someone please update me on what happened in training camp? Like guys show up late??

In terms about of being concerned about first place, I think you may need to downgrade your expectations. I truly felt, even before the debacle of the last two weeks, that, as a lot of you have pointed out, the bombers have been resting on their laurels and getting old and slow. I really felt they were due for a come down to earth season this year and well… So far it’s looking that way. Zach in particular has been on a downward trajectory, albeit a slow rather than dramatic one, for a while… Under throwing people, overthrowing people, no escapability, not getting the ball out soon enough … Happy feet getting sacked more etc. etc. and not exactly a big game playoff performer in the last number of years. 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It;s not up to us to find a coach because the Bombers will never come here asking our opinion, anyway. So, the question is irrelevant. 

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

It;s not up to us to find a coach because the Bombers will never come here asking our opinion, anyway. So, the question is irrelevant. 

It’s true. We all need to accept that our opinions really don’t mean ****. And quite frankly, they shouldn’t. O’Shea has his favourites and the more vocal fans on here have their favourites also. The reality right now is O’Sheas favourites and most of the ones the more vocal posters like right now are all sucking. 

we talk of moving on from vets but we also talk about guys like Mitchell Wilson ford at times, guys new to the team who are struggling. Ford was good yesterday tho. Kramdi and holm are disliked by the most vocal one, they were good last night but that poster won’t ever admit it. 

it’s kinda wild really. In reality the posters get on O’Shea for basically not doing what they would do but those posters just like O’Shea play favourites also. 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, we'll always have an opinion & that's fine but could you see Walters using this place as a resource for knowledge?

If he ever did he should be fired. You can’t listen to fans who will always complain about something. I’m concerned tho. Ottawa isn’t good. 

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

If he ever did he should be fired. You can’t listen to fans who will always complain about something. I’m concerned tho. Ottawa isn’t good. 

Brown looked competent. He didn't look special. He played like a rookie. Ottawa will ruin him just like thy wrecked every qb whoever started except Hank.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah Brown looked ok. Didn't really do anything that pops off the page. His rec were wide open too often. 

I suspect we made him look a lot better than he actually is. That Toronto defense will tear his head off. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I suspect we made him look a lot better than he actually is. That Toronto defense will tear his head off. 

For his first game, in brutal conditions against a team that knows him pretty good .. I think he did pretty damn good and looked better as the game went on.  Granted .. as the game went on injuries started piling up on our side but you can only square off against the guys lining up against you and he came away with the W.

2 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

For his first game, in brutal conditions against a team that knows him pretty good .. I think he did pretty damn good and looked better as the game went on.  Granted .. as the game went on injuries started piling up on our side but you can only square off against the guys lining up against you and he came away with the W.

He did alright, He wasn't special. We got beat by an average looking rookie qb last night.  That pisses me off as we don't scare anyone. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Couture to an extent yeah. 

Desarlais wanted to live with his g/f in Ottawa because she’s getting a medical degree there, that one’s a bit more forgivable. 

7 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Couture to an extent yeah. 

Desarlais wanted to live with his g/f in Ottawa because she’s getting a medical degree there, that one’s a bit more forgivable. 

Then why did Sean Burke overpay for Desjarlais? 

54 minutes ago, Goalie said:

It’s true. We all need to accept that our opinions really don’t mean ****. And quite frankly, they shouldn’t. O’Shea has his favourites and the more vocal fans on here have their favourites also. The reality right now is O’Sheas favourites and most of the ones the more vocal posters like right now are all sucking. 

we talk of moving on from vets but we also talk about guys like Mitchell Wilson ford at times, guys new to the team who are struggling. Ford was good yesterday tho. Kramdi and holm are disliked by the most vocal one, they were good last night but that poster won’t ever admit it. 

it’s kinda wild really. In reality the posters get on O’Shea for basically not doing what they would do but those posters just like O’Shea play favourites also. 

It's hard for some posters to swallow their pride and admit Kramdi had a good game.