WEEK TWO GAMEDAY THREAD - BOMBERS @ REDBLACKS

47 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

If we moved on from Zach in the of season, we could've traded him for a significant value as well. 

I don't think 600k is crippling ...

In order to make a trade you have to find a willing trade partner. How many teams in the CFL are ready to lock-in a player $600k per, for 2 more seasons? The fatal mistake Bombers brass made was in October 2022 when they agreed to give Zach Collaros a 3-year deal at $600k per season through to the end of 2025. It's not just quantum at $600k but duration - 3 years for a single player. They are saddled with that now just as they were at the end of last season when they had to have considered trying to keep Dru Brown but quickly concluded it would be impossible since no other team wanted Zach's contract. Hamstrung themselves. 

Edited by Doublezero

9 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

In order to make a trade you have to find a willing trade partner. How many teams in the CFL are ready to pay a player $600k? The fatal mistake Bombers brass made was in October 2022 when they agreed to give Zach Collaros a 3-year deal at $600k per season through to the end of 2025. They are saddled with that now just as they were at the end of last season when they had to have considered trying to keep Dru Brown but quickly concluded it would be impossible since no other team wanted Zach's contract. Hamstrung themselves. 

High price tag and $250k guaranteed for next year.  They can try to get him to redo his contract but there's not a lot of incentive for him to agree to that so yeah hamstrung is right.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I’m sure this is what you meant but it’s closer to 340k for Brady/Johnny

Opps yeah thats right. 

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

and it's eating up big money SMS wiseright now as well....for zero production....

Even if we get 6 games of relief, it's too late for that money to make a real impact. But I think we will have few guys actually finish the 6 game stint.

Our cap distribution is hamstrung by a bunch of old guys who can't produce or aren't used. We need to fix the roster management, but we also need to fix some cap issues. We are stuck between competing and getting younger only we aren't competing right now. And it's only going to get hotter in bomber town, if we don't hit a win streak right away it will be damn hard to be above .500 after the BJB. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Opps yeah thats right. 

Even if we get 6 games of relief, it's too late for that money to make a real impact. But I think we will have few guys actually finish the 6 game stint.

Our cap distribution is hamstrung by a bunch of old guys who can't produce or aren't used. We need to fix the roster management, but we also need to fix some cap issues. We are stuck between competing and getting younger only we aren't competing right now. And it's only going to get hotter in bomber town, if we don't hit a win streak right away it will be damn hard to be above .500 after the BJB. 

we definately have larger money allocated in some bad spots...I'm fine with Stan's....as well as WJ's....But BO's...ZC's....Biggie's...BA's...whatever Kolo and Thomas make is a waste as neither has upside or future...Even Kramdi's money could been better served elsewhere and for what he gives could been an entry level deal.

Lawler and Schoen....to me thats par for course for top 5 to 8 receievers in league, and those 2 really are top 3....Lawler just been unfortunate with last yr's lil hiccup and injury this yr, I don't fault him for going all out, and playing with emotion and heart....team needs an influx of that...and we lose a lot with him on shelf beyond his obvious talent

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

we definately have larger money allocated in some bad spots...I'm fine with Stan's....as well as WJ's....But BO's...ZC's....Biggie's...BA's...whatever Kolo and Thomas make is a waste as neither has upside or future...Even Kramdi's money could been better served elsewhere and for what he gives could been an entry level deal.

Lawler and Schoen....to me thats par for course for top 5 to 8 receievers in league, and those 2 really are top 3....Lawler just been unfortunate with last yr's lil hiccup and injury this yr, I don't fault him for going all out, and playing with emotion and heart....team needs an influx of that...and we lose a lot with him on shelf beyond his obvious talent

WJ is still impactful, when he has the proper supporting cast. But with his dependence on them and his tendency to get lost roving/playing for PKDs, I don't think he should be a top dollar guy. Also having his family here full time I don't think free agency would have the lure it once did for him, not to mention he isn't getting younger. 

I think the 285 for lawler that was re negotiated down from I think 315, is still too much. My biggest concern with him is staying on the field. He's a beast other wise, though the offence really seems to go from relying on him to forgetting about him. I don't think buck has done a good job of integrating schoen and lawler at the same time. He's certainly what we need more of, especially with how much football he should have left in him. 

Buck is still young for coaching life, being 42. This is his 4th year as an OC full time though, the inconsistency in things like running, schemes, adjustments, and route concepts worries me. 

10 hours ago, Booch said:

kind of goes hand in hand when a team has same coach...for 10 yrs, and said coach doesn't evolve or change things up ...even just a bit.....gets old...and it just doesn't sustain....especially when you stick with basically 90% of the same roster, many aging, and don't allow young blood to step in and carve out a role, or bring new enthusiasm...I've seen it 1000 times before

Look at Bill Belichek. He's always treated the media & fans like they were **** & the questions they asked never worth his time. His post game pressers were always condescending. Whether the Patriots won or lost, he just came across as this miserable human being. He got away with it when he was winning but when he couldn't win after Brady these gatherings weren't funny anymore. To be a buylly or condescending to the public, a coach or player can only get away with it when they win. When these arrogant coaches lose, they're nothing but a piece of meat who get ground up into a nothing burger as Belichek found out. If O'Shea continues the same schtick, then the same thing will happen to him if he can't right the ship. 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Look at Bill Belichek. He's always treated the media & fans like they were **** & the questions they asked never worth his time. His post game pressers were always condescending. Whether the Patriots won or lost, he just came across as this miserable human being. He got away with it when he was winning but when he couldn't win after Brady these gatherings weren't funny anymore. To be a buylly or condescending to the public, a coach or player can only get away with it when they win. When these arrogant coaches lose, they're nothing but a piece of meat who get ground up into a nothing burger as Belichek found out. If O'Shea continues the same schtick, then the same thing will happen to him if he can't right the ship. 

Now that you mention it, O’Shea is kind of like a friendly Canadian version of Belichick in pressers.

(Totally off topic- the book “Belichick” by Ian O’Connor was a tremendous read, I’d highly recommend it if you like sports bios) 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That’s true, but old bill made the most out of his rosters, had the best game prep in pro sports, and managed to reinvent his team through soo many star departures. Once the gravy train ends, the range a coach gets to be ornery gets real small. 

51 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Now that you mention it, O’Shea is kind of like a friendly Canadian version of Belichick in pressers.

(Totally off topic- the book “Belichick” by Ian O’Connor was a tremendous read, I’d highly recommend it if you like sports bios) 

bill can be pretty friendly and extremely engaging when asked good questions. 

That is a fantastic book, so is big book of belichick. The on football and on personnel books are worth the read too, as is Steve belichicks football scouting method book.