SNF Stamps @ Leos GDT

BC-Calgary was a fun game to watch. Players (mostly) making plays in all 3 phases. Bombers look like hot garbage compared with every other team in the league so far this season. Especially at the QB position. I hate to rag on Zach but even Jake Maier looks better than Collaros. Let's face it, Collaros has benefitted from outstanding pass pro in Winnipeg in his prior 3 full seasons with us. It would not be fair to say Zach, at age 35, is washed up. But the weaknesses that previously made him expendable in Toronto, Hamilton and Sask have been evident for awhile here and are now fully exposed. Club needs to give Strev meaningful reps soon.

Edited by Doublezero

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

So what is it that made people doubt strevelers ability to play quarterback? Is it his NFL time? 

He's been typecast as a runner and a bruiser. I've always thought he lacked the deep threat ability but he's also been pretty accurate and good at protecting the football. Even in his brief opportunities in the NFL he was the same guy - effective runner, accurate in the short game, and protected the ball. Ultimately he hasn't started a football game in 5 years so not many of us know what he can do today. I'm personally not close to considering pulling Collaros but Streveler is here to play quarterback so we'll probably get a look at him sooner or later.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

So what is it that made people doubt strevelers ability to play quarterback? Is it his NFL time? 

That one game in Oct/19 where they lost 21-6 and the offence was inept in every possible way. 
Strev didn’t play well but they were calling the dumbest **** possible 

5 hours ago, blue85gold said:

Probably memories of Lapo’s offence doing nothing to show case his ability when he started in 2019. 

I just can't envision a situation where he's accurate enough as a starting QB. He was given the reins in 2019 and they ended up bringing ZC in.

Dude plays hard and has heart, but just cant seem to make the throw when the chips are down

Also, i think it was in the 2018 West Final he had Andrew Harris wide open and he just sailed it.

Just my two cents.

23 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I just can't envision a situation where he's accurate enough as a starting QB. He was given the reins in 2019 and they ended up bringing ZC in

Well Nichols was also basically injured to the point of retirement... that's what this team used to do, bring in depth. Not like collaros was a one man show in 2019 either, streveler played half the games in the playoffs despite a busted ankle.

Things change over time, he was good enough to hang around the nfl for a few years and always had arm strength, so until he gets a chance to prove himself in game action now I think it’s unfair to base opinion on a few poor outcomes from 4 years ago

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Don't understand your take, you're expecting him to inherit the starting QB role without demonstrating he's earned it?

No I am expecting him to be part of the passing game when collaros is stinking up the joint. Last time he was here they used some packages where he got to run a real offense. Feels like he's just got the prukop package right now which is stupid. Streveler can play qb. He's shown that in the past. He is a weapon, use him rather than treating him like a running back.

11 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Apparently sticking with the NFL for a few years and even making it onto the highlights a few time somehow equates to diminishing in talent?     

Maybe people question if he's a "CFL" qb... you know how people always prefer the CFL having a mobile QB rather then a slow as molasses drop back passer that the NFL favours... oh wait....

I think some people are just looking for reasons to complain.     Strev is fine,  I would hope they would play him here as a normal QB and not the gadget crap that LaPo had him doing in his last year with us.   In his first season he dropped back and ran a normal O and was clearly able to make passes and escape the rush for the big runs.  The gadget option plays should only be utilized a few times,  it's predictable and dumb.  

On 2024-06-16 at 7:35 PM, Eternal optimist said:

I just can't envision a situation where he's accurate enough as a starting QB. He was given the reins in 2019 and they ended up bringing ZC in.

Dude plays hard and has heart, but just cant seem to make the throw when the chips are down

Also, i think it was in the 2018 West Final he had Andrew Harris wide open and he just sailed it.

Just my two cents.

They ran that again in the Grey Cup the next year and he hit a dime in between 2 defenders. 

Watch the TD to J Peterman at 3:03, and the pass to Augustine at 4:47 (which is the same play they ran to Harris)

The accuracy’s there. The arm strength is there. Mobility’s obviously there.
The only thing he has left to prove is consistent decision-making in the pocket, which he hasn’t had the opportunity to do.  

they need to let him actually play as a QB and use his legs when things bresk down, or nothing is there.....Dude can make al the throws, and let him do that...well he will get better and better. The bring him in for 100 percent run plays....ain't fooling nobody and is going to get him hurt....Let him use the actual playbook...and have teams play in a way where they have to respect the possibility of him taking off...things will open right up.....With ZC...there no threat of that at all...and recievers are being basically smothered, and they just can rush him relentlessly with 4 guys

The one thing that really stands out (from the highlights at least) is how clean a pocket Streveler had for the most part.   Couture and Desjarlais were huge pieces of our offensive line and we have never even come close to adequately replacing that talent.  

Also, that return by Grant demonstrates everything a returner should be.  Fearless.  Decisive.  Speed to burn.

20 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

The one thing that really stands out (from the highlights at least) is how clean a pocket Streveler had for the most part.   Couture and Desjarlais were huge pieces of our offensive line and we have never even come close to adequately replacing that talent.  

Also, that return by Grant demonstrates everything a returner should be.  Fearless.  Decisive.  Speed to burn.

Don’t forget that Couture was hurt in 2019 and Cody Speller, an undrafted o-lineman, stepped in and centered  the unit all the way to the championship that year.  Traded away to the Argos in ‘21 for 6th round pick Shae Weekes….who was cut…

11 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

Don’t forget that Couture was hurt in 2019 and Cody Speller, an undrafted o-lineman, stepped in and centered  the unit all the way to the championship that year.  Traded away to the Argos in ‘21 for 6th round pick Shae Weekes….who was cut…

The draft pick might not have panned out but Speller has not played a game since.  He went to camp with the Argos but left early due to personal reasons and never came back.  

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

The draft pick might not have panned out but Speller has not played a game since.  He went to camp with the Argos but left early due to personal reasons and never came back.  

Didn't he attempt a come back at some point as well? Maybe 2022 or 23? Speller was a damn good player, I suspect some thing known behind the scenes caused his dumping to TO and perhaps his failure to play after that. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Didn't he attempt a come back at some point as well? Maybe 2022 or 23? Speller was a damn good player, I suspect some thing known behind the scenes caused his dumping to TO and perhaps his failure to play after that. 

Not sure?  The Argos added him to their suspended list when he left and then released him in 2022.  He hasn't signed with anyone else (at least in the CFL) since.