TNF Red Blacks @ Als GDT

2 hours ago, IC Khari said:

Too bad we hadn’t kept Brown, people would be so happy right now …

thumbs-up-well-done.gif

2025 is when we’ll know who was right about that. 
For example Dunnigan over Danny Mac seemed ok in 1993, not so much the 2 years after. 

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

I didn't watch the game... but is Fajardo actually good now?

He’s not been horrible. I feel like it’s more about the talent level around him being astronomically higher than when he was in Sask. 

He still does the spin, he still launches ducks for nothing and nobody sometimes. 

He’s still Fajardo, just with an MOP type receiver and a good oline.
He’s tasked with managing the game vs trying to win it himself like he did with the Riders. 

9 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

2025 is when we’ll know who was right about that. 
For example Dunnigan over Danny Mac seemed ok in 1993, not so much the 2 years after. 

So Dru Brown is Danny Mac in this scenario?

large?v=v2&px=999

2 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

So Dru Brown is Danny Mac in this scenario?

large?v=v2&px=999

Comparatively yeah, I’d say it’s apt as possible. 
Backup for 3-4 years, showed tons of promise. Showed the ability to run the offence as well or better than the starter. Let go to keep an aging superstar…

I could be forcing it, that Dunnigan/Danny Mac thing happened in my formative football years and shaped my fandom to a degree. Just so similar feeling.

5 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Backup for 3-4 years, showed tons of promise. Showed the ability to run the offence as well or better than the starter. Let go to keep an aging superstar…

I could be forcing it, that Dunnigan/Danny Mac thing happened in my formative football years and shaped my fandom to a degree. Just so similar feeling.

Of course cognitive dissonance plays no part in this, had we not lost 3 starters on defence they still would have squeaked by us right?

7 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I was an adult at the time attending games and I have no frame of reference for this myself but … 😉

Just now, IC Khari said:

Of course cognitive dissonance plays no part in this, had we not lost 3 starters on defence they still would have squeaked by us right?

You’re missing the point. It’s not about week 2. It’s about how this year and the next 5ish go. How much longer is ZC going to play?

For that matter, how much value in 2025 will 600k be for a 37 year old QB? 

Above anything right now, I want to see the team lift a Grey Cup in their home stadium.

Love the player and what he’s done here, but I don’t think Zach at his deal gives us the best chance to see that in 2025, or to win one this year for that matter. 

15 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

I was an adult at the time attending games and I have no frame of reference for this myself but … 😉

I mean, the adults who were attending games with me at the time see our current situation as I do but….😉

Fair enough about the future but like the 93 Bombers, the team now had to go with the proven commodity. So hard to predict even one season in advance with injuries etc. last year Crumb was the thing in Ottawa …

Just now, IC Khari said:

Fair enough about the future but like the 93 Bombers, the team now had to go with the proven commodity. So hard to predict even one season in advance with injuries etc. last year Crumb was the thing in Ottawa …

I see your point on the former. Disagree on the latter. 
Crumb was a raw rookie last year, while Brown had been developing since 2021.

I think Brown is as proven as any QB moving to the starter tier in the last 30 years. 

I would hope that Streveler can be the next full time starter, and do it well, making Brown a moot point. 

13 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I see your point on the former. Disagree on the latter. 
Crumb was a raw rookie last year, while Brown had been developing since 2021.

I think Brown is as proven as any QB moving to the starter tier in the last 30 years. 

I would hope that Streveler can be the next full time starter, and do it well, making Brown a moot point. 

I’d hold off on that one …

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Dunnigan was better than Danny Mac in both 93 and 94. Mac wasn't the full time starter either year in BC.

Fair. He was the starter in the 94 West final and Grey Cup though? For sure the west final, and also didn’t bolt to a US team at the first opportunity. 

The comparison isn’t exact, I’ll still defend it as apt at the moment.
Forget about the 90s too though, I still believe, had we traded Zach and kept Dru, we’d be in an equal or better position this season and a much better one for 2025 and on.

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Dunnigan was better than Danny Mac in both 93 and 94. Mac wasn't the full time starter either year in BC.

Yea....keeping Dunigan was definitely the right move. McManus went on to have a great career. No doubt about it but weighing in on a trade 2-3 years after in the CFL is a fool's game. Contracts are short term and beyond the term of the remainder of a player's contract is not really a way to judge a trade at all. The Bombers might  have re-signed McManus if they had pursued him long before he went on to great success as a starter.

1 minute ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Fair. He was the starter in the 94 West final and Grey Cup though? For sure the west final, and also didn’t bolt to a US team at the first opportunity. 

The comparison isn’t exact, I’ll still defend it as apt at the moment.
Forget about the 90s too though, I still believe, had we traded Zach and kept Dru, we’d be in an equal or better position this season and a much better one for 2025 and on.

Or...we could be in a worse situation. We still don't know what Brown is yet for certain. We should maybe let that play out before deciding he is better than Collaros this year and beyond.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yea....keeping Dunigan was definitely the right move. McManus went on to have a great career. No doubt about it but weighing in on a trade 2-3 years after in the CFL is a fool's game. Contracts are short term and beyond the term of the remainder of a player's contract is not really a way to judge a trade at all. The Bombers might  have re-signed McManus if they had pursued him long before he went on to great success as a starter.

Or...we could be in a worse situation. We still don't know what Brown is yet for certain. We should maybe let that play out before deciding he is better than Collaros this year and beyond.

It’s not as simple as “Brown is better than Collaros”.

Brown and his contract would put the club in a better place than Collaros and his contract. 

7 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Brown and his contract would put the club in a better place than Collaros and his contract. 

Oh I agree on this just pointing out it took Danny Mac awhile.  If I am recalling correctly he game off the bench in both the 94 WF &GC

29 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Oh I agree on this just pointing out it took Danny Mac awhile.  If I am recalling correctly he game off the bench in both the 94 WF &GC

Yeah actually you’re right. He played the second half of each game. 

Remember, Mac came to the Bombers in 90 so by 94 or 95 when he became a starter we’re talking almost 5 full seasons. Could the Bombers wait that long on Brown when they already have the MOP of two of the last three seasons?

3 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

If the return of wins/on-field performance is worse though is it a better deal for Winnipeg?

23 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

Remember, Mac came to the Bombers in 90 so by 94 or 95 when he became a starter we’re talking almost 5 full seasons. Could the Bombers wait that long on Brown when they already have the MOP of two of the last three seasons?

If the return of wins/on-field performance is worse though is it a better deal for Winnipeg?

Just playing alternate timeline for fun but yes.

I think the Bombers would be willing to use Streveler more if and when Brown was playing as badly as Collaros was the last 2 games.

Separate argument on MacManus, I’ve watched more old 90s games, as an adult than I’d care to admit, and I always thought he could have been a star earlier than he was.

I have to concede that obviously you saw much more of his career than I did. There’s only so many old games available.
It wasn’t just the Bombers as you and @rebusrankin have said. What about him at the time was the drawback for teams to not want to go all in?