GDT - Is 3rd time the charm vs Lions

4 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Also, if they’re running the old Rich Stubler defence to a degree, is it not just a matter of time before they start getting gashed by the run? I remember that being the hallmark of those Argo teams. 

I remember those teams always having a really good front. They could get pressure off a 3 man front consistently.  Cantor et. al.

14 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I remember those teams always having a really good front. They could get pressure off a 3 man front consistently.  Canton et. al.

Iirc they’d get pass pressure with 3 or 4 consistently. 
I also remember them giving up a lot of 150-200 yard rushing games

A few opinions based on observations in no particular order:

Thomas (too old and slow) and Schmekel (too inexperienced?) especially when they were out there together....too often, for the most part were a nightmare!

The whole centre of the D from the line to the safety position was a nightmare!

The play calling on the Bombers' last drive of the first half was a nightmare! I appreciated that they marched down the field but it appeared that they were playing for a FG, which they screwed up anyway.

The injuries that are mounting up are a nightmare!

And the call to punt on 3rd and about 6 with two minutes to go......Mike O'Shea is becoming a recurring nightmare!

Done venting.

In spite of the many short-comings of the Bombers, they were in an exciting game and had a chance. 

P.S. Exiting the U of M parking from the Wallace Building to UC along Sifton Road was a nightmare (Sifton Road under construction)!

38 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

CFL teams seldom play straight man any more. Even man isn’t how it used to be. 

Yeah afaik match coverage took over in the mid-late 2000s, around the time the Sam backer turned into the dime DB. 

45 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

CFL teams seldom play straight man any more. Even man isn’t how it used to be. 

Yeah afaik match coverage took over in the mid-late 2000s, around the time the Sam backer turned into the dime DB. 

30 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Slept on it... A bit hungover.... Can't remember this many key injuries to start a season. Unbelievably cursed. I'll chalk the season up to that and hope that 2025 is a little bit better...

I think it’s just unbelievably old mainly. But also a crap tc and pre season doesn’t help. 

19 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So we have Demski, Woli, Wilson, Murphy, Clercius, Josh Johnson and Mitchell at WR? Yikes.

Fuel up the heli and start the air lifts. Mcknight probably lol 

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

The 30 front is much better at stoping the run. That’s what it was originally designed for. 
 Sticking a bad nose in a 30 D is like running the 4 verts air raid system with cripple Matt Nichols. 

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Put in a call to milt lol 

There's quite a few washed up vets still out there who were on teams last season. Ellingson and Duke Williams come to mind. I'm not sure there's a lot of value out there. Let's just use this season to find young talent so we have a shot next season when we host. TSN has already awarded BC the title anyways.  :)

4 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Do you think there’s enough individual pieces to improve? Or is this a 2005 thing where we have a couple bright spots, but give up 400 yards passing every game? 

Obviously there’s more nuance to it than one guy, but I don’t see it getting any better with BA playing safety. 

Also, if they’re running the old Rich Stubler defence to a degree, is it not just a matter of time before they start getting gashed by the run? I remember that being the hallmark of those Argo teams. 

I'd argue we are getting gashed.  Just that no one really commits to the run in this era.  It's 6-7 yards a play on us if they do.

3 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Which didn't seem to matter, because their goal was to hold teams to field goal attempts.

23 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Hard to win with this many injuries. Walter's.. get to work..the chopper is ready for an airlift.

Yet we just needed Zach and Demski to connect on one of the easier plays of the day. 

----------------------------------------

The positives from the game for those who are ready....

After the first passing play of the game we gave up zero sacks.  Zach had a normal amount of time back there to throw and he looked pretty good. 

Chris Smith is an upgrade over Mitchell.  Had a nice return erased by a penalty but certainly has provided some hope for the return game going forward.

3. It's a long season. 

Edited by Colin Unger

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The 30 front is much better at stoping the run. That’s what it was originally designed for. 
 Sticking a bad nose in a 30 D is like running the 4 verts air raid system with cripple Matt Nichols. 

Normally yeah, I just remember those Argos always giving up a ton of yards on the ground. Roberts regularly ran for 100+ against them, and I remember them giving up like 300 yards to the ticats in a game. 

https://www.cfl.ca/2006/06/17/there_ll_be_a_run_on_argo_defence/

…Holy ****. Check out this article. Maaaaan, so familiar. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Normally yeah, I just remember those Argos always giving up a ton of yards on the ground. Roberts regularly ran for 100+ against them, and I remember them giving up like 300 yards to the ticats in a game. 

https://www.cfl.ca/2006/06/17/there_ll_be_a_run_on_argo_defence/

…Holy ****. Check out this article. Maaaaan, so familiar. 

That’s basically exactly what is has happening here.