GTD WEEK 4 - BOMBERS @ STAMPS

7 minutes ago, Blue28 said:

I’m not sure, they need someone with speed - and he has that. 

I wouldn’t say so really. They have lots of guys with speed. 
They need a good route runner with long arms. Someone who can win 50/50 jump balls and come back to get under those under throw-by-design deep shots. 

Lucky is/was good at taking short stuff and making the first guy miss, or burning guys in single coverage. 

He’ll do more than Wilson if still able to run, but he’s not gonna turn the offence around. 

Lucky ain't so Lucky when it comes to injuries....I know we're desperate and beggars can't be choosers but I think signing Whitehead would be like putting a bandaid on a walking bandaid....He could put a little spark in the offence but is that the best that's out there.....

As far as the game went....it took awhile for Streve to get going but when he did it sure was a helluva lot better than Zacks performance... I think we'll be leaning on Chris's performance more and more as the season goes along...It looks like Collaros is cooked and sure not worth what we're paying him.....AND for cripes sake we have to get Tui into the offence...Kola is not getting it done....

13 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Just no real playmakers on D.  We're celebrating a single turnover in a game these days.

sad part...we have playmakers tho....they just dont get the chance..Imagine what Adams/Fox/Woods would do, and plays they could make if they got Thomas and Hubert reps?....Saw way too many series with exlusive Thomas and Hubert.....and then we have Kramdi...and Biggie and BA out there too.....way to cripple a defence

Just look back to the pre-seson games and first of the yr when we saw a lot of heavy use of Fox..Woods..Admas...and how active they were...and the disruption they created...the energy....and go watch the last 3 games?....good god....just garbage

Once Garbutt...FOx...are healthy...there no reason we shouldn't see heavy heavy rotation of different looks of WJ/Garbutt/Fayed and Woods/Adams/Fox....I would continue with Hubert as a higher use rotation as he of our 3 Canadians looks the best, and I see some serious upside there...Replace Thomas with Jake Kelley when he ready and find out between Schmeck and Samson who can do the job until Lawson comes back

Find a real SAM...Who is impactful...Be it 90% Cole....Parker when/if he gets back or even Griffen...I liked what he brought...Kramdi isn't the answer...only is Osh's mind...Guys who can tackle....have the athleticism to cover/recover....actually make impacts other than tackles after the catch crap....or tackles after having to chase a guy down....

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I wouldn’t say so really. They have lots of guys with speed. 
They need a good route runner with long arms. Someone who can win 50/50 jump balls and come back to get under those under throw-by-design deep shots. 

Lucky is/was good at taking short stuff and making the first guy miss, or burning guys in single coverage. 

He’ll do more than Wilson if still able to run, but he’s not gonna turn the offence around. 

I'd say no to Whitehead, who had dropsy. The thing about Schoen and Lawler, Demski Woli etc is that they routinely make amazing grabs that make our QBs look good. If you look at most of the pass attempts by Winnipeg's QB's, more than 50% are off-target requiring voodoo magic by the receivers just to reel that ball in.

22 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Lucky ain't so Lucky when it comes to injuries....I know we're desperate and beggars can't be choosers but I think signing Whitehead would be like putting a bandaid on a walking bandaid....He could put a little spark in the offence but is that the best that's out there.....

As far as the game went....it took awhile for Streve to get going but when he did it sure was a helluva lot better than Zacks performance... I think we'll be leaning on Chris's performance more and more as the season goes along...It looks like Collaros is cooked and sure not worth what we're paying him.....AND for cripes sake we have to get Tui into the offence...Kola is not getting it done....

strev basically had to work out rust and get re-acclimated to being a QB as he wasn't allowed to do any of it until he got put in...and as you saw...once he calmed down...realized he wasn't just trying or having to run guys over...he looked way different....and that was with 3 receivers who are so green....throw him out there with 4 guys who have exoerince....and you will see a big difference...especially with teams having to respect his running...use him in pocket...sprint outs...botlegs...etc....some legit option stuff....and then we cooking with fire....I'd give him the Ottawa start....

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

strev basically had to work out rust and get re-acclimated to being a QB as he wasn't allowed to do any of it until he got put in...and as you saw...once he calmed down...realized he wasn't just trying or having to run guys over...he looked way different....and that was with 3 receivers who are so green....throw him out there with 4 guys who have exoerince....and you will see a big difference...especially with teams having to respect his running...use him in pocket...sprint outs...botlegs...etc....some legit option stuff....and then we cooking with fire....I'd give him the Ottawa start....

There’s no reason not to give him the Ottawa start. What’s he gonna hamper Zach’s development? 
Even if Collaros didn’t get hurt, it was time to give Streveler a game or 2 with the full playbook. If anything else, just to let him prove he can play the position. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

37 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah first couple of series was rough, but once he settled in I thought he played well.

Let Streveler get reps with the young receivers too and they'll probably develop some chemistry.  Even in that game saw lots of evidence of that happening 15-20 mins in.

You're not going to throw the ball 40 times with Streveler but if you can't build an offense around him, Oliviera, Augustine, Smith, Feltmate, 7 OL and whatever receivers we have you're a dumbass.  So much for a D to have to think about there, just give them looks where they have to make a choice to free up some space for a runner or receiver.  There's no use running empty backfields and even 3 by 2 etc type formations.  Make everyone on the field have to look into backfield to try to diagnose what might happen.  You get a couple guys stopping their feet and thinking and you have big plays or at least first downs.

Smith is likely the most dangerous American we have on the roster.  If he doesn't have a role on offense next week it will be extremely disappointing.

2 hours ago, Doublezero said:

I'd say no to Whitehead, who had dropsy. The thing about Schoen and Lawler, Demski Woli etc is that they routinely make amazing grabs that make our QBs look good. If you look at most of the pass attempts by Winnipeg's QB's, more than 50% are off-target requiring voodoo magic by the receivers just to reel that ball in.

If the Bombers are digging into their past I'd take Ellingson over Whitehead, smarter, more reliable, better possession receiver and bigger target, doesn't need to catch 40 yd. bombs just needs to secure first downs.  If they don't want Ellingson, find someone else with those assets.

5 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

If the Bombers are digging into their past I'd take Ellingson over Whitehead, smarter, more reliable, better possession receiver and bigger target, doesn't need to catch 40 yd. bombs just needs to secure first downs.  If they don't want Ellingson, find someone else with those assets.

You're assuming these guys are in shape to play though.  Same with Agudosi.  Ellingson only got into a handful of games his past 2 CFL seasons with a pretty gnarly foot issue.

I may have missed something but here is my take on the Bombers so far this season

1. can't help but believe some starters from last year have come into camp out of shape and not taken part in any of the physical stuff that goes on in camp.

2. 11 starters do not take a snap during the exhibition games

3. RESULT: a. several starters now injured some for the entire season and b. other have had a slow start and complain about not being involved in the game todate

4. This type of start is reminiscent of Joe Mack days were the old boys club dominated which leads me to the coaching staff

5. Oshea has reverted back to the days when he first arrived, poor talent selection for games and that goes back to last year's Grey Cup. He is too loyal to veteran players even those who should know better to show up in shape yet still panders to them

6. Pierce is showing that the offense he has been in control of for the past few years is nothing but a carry over from Lapo's offense and it isn't getting better but more predictable. He play calling leaves a lot to be desired and was only bailed out in the past by a stingy defense. Even an armchair qb like myself can tell you what he is going to try next. The sweeps are a joke; keeping Strevler in the pocket when he could be a dual threat to run or throw out of the pocket is a no brainer to me but I guess I don't know anything. Start out run on first down and pass on second is becoming so routine and very easy to defend.

7. Can't blame Strevler entirely on his performance BUT as a professional football player, one would have thought he would be taking reps with either the fist team or at least scout team during every practice and getting in the throwing reps knowing he is not only the short yardage QB but also the backup unlike other years. They have a third QB who didn't see the field so his purpose is what? And to run Strevler when he is in as a permanent replacement instead of creating what I mentioned in 6 is just looking for more trouble.

8. So in my humble opinion to sum up the Bombers to date; the coaching is terrible, the veterans have yet to play like they are veterans and we are 0 -4. I will go out on a limb as say at this rate, and injuries play a role in this, the Bombers will be 0-8 before they win one. That is a hard pill to swallow for me personally as I have been an ardent fan since 1953. Been through the ups and downs and looks like we are on the down once again.

To make it to overtime, we needed to:

1. Make the 2nd longest FG in CFL history.
  2. Get our first passing TD of the year in a 70 second drive against the 'prevent' defence.
  3. Have Maier miss every single deep ball.
  4. Have Calgary continue to call the deep ball over and over.
  5. Have Calgary throw a deep ball instead of simply taking a FG on 3rd down.

We've got 3 left against the 3-0 Riders, 2 against the the 3-1 Lions, 2 against the 2-1 Argos & 1 more against the best team in the league the Als. That's 8 games against the top 4 teams in the league. 

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

To make it to overtime, we needed to:

1. Make the 2nd longest FG in CFL history.
  2. Get our first passing TD of the year in a 70 second drive against the 'prevent' defence.
  3. Have Maier miss every single deep ball.
  4. Have Calgary continue to call the deep ball over and over.
  5. Have Calgary throw a deep ball instead of simply taking a FG on 3rd down.

We've got 3 left against the 3-0 Riders, 2 against the the 3-1 Lions, 2 against the 2-1 Argos & 1 more against the best team in the league the Als. That's 8 games against the top 4 teams in the league. 

Seeing it put out like that, yikes. That was against imo the worst team in the west besides us. This isn’t going to get better any time soon. 
One of Miller or Walkers needs to step in here.

Winning with committee leadership is all well and good but when things get rough, one person still has to be the boss. MOS clearly has no interest, it’s gotta come from up top now. 

48 minutes ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

I may have missed something but here is my take on the Bombers so far this season

1. can't help but believe some starters from last year have come into camp out of shape and not taken part in any of the physical stuff that goes on in camp.

3. RESULT: a. several starters now injured some for the entire season and b. other have had a slow start and complain about not being involved in the game todate

4. This type of start is reminiscent of Joe Mack days were the old boys club dominated which leads me to the coaching staff

5. Oshea has reverted back to the days when he first arrived, poor talent selection for games and that goes back to last year's Grey Cup. He is too loyal to veteran players even those who should know better to show up in shape yet still panders to them

6. Pierce is showing that the offense he has been in control of for the past few years is nothing but a carry over from Lapo's offense and it isn't getting better but more predictable. He play calling leaves a lot to be desired and was only bailed out in the past by a stingy defense. Even an armchair qb like myself can tell you what he is going to try next. The sweeps are a joke; keeping Strevler in the pocket when he could be a dual threat to run or throw out of the pocket is a no brainer to me but I guess I don't know anything. Start out run on first down and pass on second is becoming so routine and very easy to defend.

7. Can't blame Strevler entirely on his performance BUT as a professional football player, one would have thought he would be taking reps with either the fist team or at least scout team during every practice and getting in the throwing reps knowing he is not only the short yardage QB but also the backup unlike other years. They have a third QB who didn't see the field so his purpose is what? And to run Streveler when he is in as a permanent replacement instead of creating what I mentioned in 6 is just looking for more trouble.

8. So in my humble opinion to sum up the Bombers to date; the coaching is terrible, the veterans have yet to play like they are veterans and we are 0 -4. I will go out on a limb as say at this rate, and injuries play a role in this, the Bombers will be 0-8 before they win one. That is a hard pill to swallow for me personally as I have been an ardent fan since 1953. Been through the ups and downs and looks like we are on the down once again.

Agreed for the most part, but veterans age out and there is a good reason why the #2 wolf is programmed to challenge the alpha wolf  if there is any sign of weakness in the pack leader. It is ruthless, but it keeps the pack healthy and the alpha males and females on their toes. BTW: I think the Bombers will go 0 and 5 before notching their first "W" and flirt with .500 over the season. And either O'Shea gets the road map and apple or he and Walters will exit stage right together. I think Walters and Miller will not let the team stagger along to the end of the season. Five consecutive losses ought to be enough to bring out the tumbril(s)'

1 hour ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

MOS will and should get until the end of his contract. 

He will, of course, be paid out, but if he is deemed to be the problem, then a quick euthanasia is the best course.

1 hour ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I could debate should, but I agree on will. 
Even if we only get a win or two the rest of the year, the injuries are going to be the excuse.
I doubt we see any staff changes this year, or even leading into next honestly. 

I think it will take until if or when they’re out of contention for the home Grey Cup.

21 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I could debate should, but I agree on will. 
Even if we only get a win or two the rest of the year, the injuries are going to be the excuse.
I doubt we see any staff changes this year, or even leading into next honestly. 

I think it will take until if or when they’re out of contention for the home Grey Cup.

Or attendance starts dropping.  I can't see Wade sitting idly by.  He has worked too hard to build the club up just to see it get pissed away.

24 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

All this talk about Kramdi or Bighill being "fine". Since when is that good enough? Are we happy with fine? If you can replace a guy with one who is 10% better you keep doing that until you are kicking everyone's ass on a regular basis.

Fine is for losers.

Please let my ex wife know that fine is for losers 😂

2 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I tend to agree, but he might get duties stripped from him. 

35 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Or attendance starts dropping.  I can't see Wade sitting idly by.  He has worked too hard to build the club up just to see it get pissed away.

this is basically it. If that doesn’t happen we are screwed. But I can’t imagine how wade wouldn’t be pissed right now. 

28 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

All this talk about Kramdi or Bighill being "fine". Since when is that good enough? Are we happy with fine? If you can replace a guy with one who is 10% better you keep doing that until you are kicking everyone's ass on a regular basis.

Fine is for losers.

Nailed it. The first step to being great is to kill the good, every single day. 

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Fine is for losers.

Obviously, as he played for the Riders last year.

5 hours ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

7. Can't blame Strevler entirely on his performance BUT as a professional football player, one would have thought he would be taking reps with either the fist team or at least scout team during every practice and getting in the throwing reps knowing he is not only the short yardage QB but also the backup unlike other years. They have a third QB who didn't see the field so his purpose is what? And to run Strevler when he is in as a permanent replacement instead of creating what I mentioned in 6 is just looking for more trouble.

Well said...like I mentioned too...our coaching is killing us...and I truly don't think osh is a good coach...good manager when he had top end talent and solid vets to run the room and self police...but when he doesn't have that...yrs before 2019...and post 2023...he isn't very good at actually coaching his team...or assessing talent and building a roster...proof is in the pudding...we won a lot of games and had success in spite of him...based on the aforementioned talent supplied to him

2 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Fine is for losers.

Exactly...adequate...average...doesn't cut it...I don't care who it is...you need to continually be getting better...and finding pieces...and replacing others...or you get what we have seen developing..and now in full on effect...injuries are an excuse...and if we had already been developing and transitioning..they wouldn't have really been an issue

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

this is basically it. If that doesn’t happen we are screwed. But I can’t imagine how wade wouldn’t be pissed right now. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Yup...u need to earn a job...then continue to hold it from it being taken from you...that doesn't happen here...for 3 ..4 yrs now

If a player is clearly better than guy in front of him...he should play...plain and simple regardless if he is a loved favorite...or a tenured vet...too many awarded roster spots here and less talented guys playing as they are HC favs under oshea

Edited by Booch