GTD WEEK 4 - BOMBERS @ STAMPS

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Strev threw to all the receivers Zach ignored.

Yep. I hated the result but I was so ******* excited to see our offensive players getting touches and making plays.

Yeah Collaros mobility has declined significantly even since 2021.  There's not much scrambling anymore.  You need an all-time elite OL to keep him producing.  And that's hard to do even if you spend money on OL.  Like our OL peaked in 19-21 and has been declining since.  I don't feel we'd be much better off if we paid Hardrick if at all.  He was quite bad last season and isn't lighting it up in Sask.

6 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Strev threw to all the receivers Zach ignored.

Both threw to wilson Zach actually had the same number of different targets, Johnson is the only wr strev threw to that Zach didn’t and Johnson caught 2 of 5 passes. 

7 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

You think that the Collaros injury cost us the game? You should be ashamed of that opinion. Collaros was playing like crap. Streveler was actually a bit better. 

100%. Strev was better than any half of football Zach has played in a very long time. 

6 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah Collaros mobility has declined significantly even since 2021.  There's not much scrambling anymore.  You need an all-time elite OL to keep him producing.  And that's hard to do even if you spend money on OL.  Like our OL peaked in 19-21 and has been declining since.  I don't feel we'd be much better off if we paid Hardrick if at all.  He was quite bad last season and isn't lighting it up in Sask.

Zach is quick to tuck it now and try to run but he looks like late stages Matt Nichols trying to limp away. As slow as Jake Thomas on that unblocked play up the middle. 
 Lofton it any thing could improve too. Yoshi can’t stay healthy for even most of a regular season.  Not to mention that massive over pay would’ve cost us some one. 

46 minutes ago, Booch said:

he also escaped pressure and hit some the secondary targets....or got positive yards withhis legs...ZC...that wouldnt have happened

Secondary targets is a good description for the receivers Collaros ignores, he was so focused on Demski and Woli, he would have kept throwing to them over and over again until they too end up injured. 

Zach threw for 55 yards for gods sake. We weren’t winning with him and probably won’t. Guy is a major part of the offensive struggles this year. Major part. Maybe even the number 1 reason.  

dude is staring down receivers. Holding the ball to long. Throwing in to double coverage. Throwing picks right to the other team. And not throwing TDs. Our only passing TD in 4 games was our backup who hadn’t thrown a pass since pre season A. 

Edited by Goalie

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Zach threw for 55 yards for gods sake. We weren’t winning with him and probably won’t. Guy is a major part of the offensive struggles this year. Major part. Maybe even the number 1 reason.  

dude is staring down receivers. Holding the ball to long. Throwing in to double coverage. Throwing picks right to the other team. And not throwing TDs. Our only passing TD in 4 games was our backup who hadn’t thrown a pass since pre season A. 

With how **** the O-line is, don’t think Zach gives the best chance to win. Not mobile enough. If he had the protection he did a few years ago I think he’d be good still. 

The bolded above has always been his MO. He would just keep chucking it and make up for it with big plays and scores. Those haven’t been coming this year

24 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

With how **** the O-line is, don’t think Zach gives the best chance to win. Not mobile enough. If he had the protection he did a few years ago I think he’d be good still. 

The bolded above has always been his MO. He would just keep chucking it and make up for it with big plays and scores. Those haven’t been coming this year

No kidding. What people fail to realize is the biggest issue with this offense isn’t necessarily Zach it’s the offensive line. Look at our line compared to 2019 or 2021. It went from leagues best to statistically leagues worse. Zach for better or for worse holds the ball too long but he’ll move around the pocket to find the open guy, there’s literally no time to throw. I noticed against Calgary there was a lot of short quick passes, which isn’t his game at all. He can’t hold the ball in the pocket if there is no pocket longer then three seconds. 

17 hours ago, Booch said:

Exactly...adequate...average...doesn't cut it...I don't care who it is...you need to continually be getting better...and finding pieces...and replacing others...or you get what we have seen developing..and now in full on effect...injuries are an excuse...and if we had already been developing and transitioning..they wouldn't have really been an issue.

To me, that's on Walters as GM. He is the guy who brings in talent & working with Osh decides who they'll sign, trade & recruit. We're all assuming that it's Osh who is the weak link here. I'm beginning to believe that both Walters & Osh are the problem. For example, both of them agreed not to bring back Dru Brown. They have to work together to build a championship team. The decision to keep the team together in it's structure & not bring in new pieces every season is a joint decision.

18 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

To me, that's on Walters as GM. He is the guy who brings in talent & working with Osh decides who they'll sign, trade & recruit. We're all assuming that it's Osh who is the weak link here. I'm beginning to believe that both Walters & Osh are the problem. For example, both of them agreed not to bring back Dru Brown. They have to work together to build a championship team. The decision to keep the team together in it's structure & not bring in new pieces every season is a joint decision.

True, but there has to be an element of trust between the head coach and his boss. Walters relies on O'Shea to tell him if Colllaros is going to be the best option going forward and then Walters negotiates a contract on the strength of that report, or trades him. That applies to the other players as well. If it comes down to the GM overriding his coach, there is trouble in River City.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

True, but there has to be an element of trust between the head coach and his boss. Walters relies on O'Shea to tell him if Colllaros is going to be the best option going forward and then Walters negotiates a contract on the strength of that report, or trades him. That applies to the other players as well. If it comes down to the GM overriding his coach, there is trouble in River City.

Walters can see what is going on. He certainly isn't blind which is why he & Osh are in this together. The hope was to keep this team together for the 2025 Grey Cup which now looks impossible. If a full on rebuild is required, just get it done Miller, Walters & Osh. Quit worrying about trying to win a championship in 2025 with these guys we have now & making decisions that set us back 5 years or more.

41 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Walters can see what is going on. He certainly isn't blind which is why he & Osh are in this together. The hope was to keep this team together for the 2025 Grey Cup which now looks impossible. If a full on rebuild is required, just get it done Miller, Walters & Osh. Quit worrying about trying to win a championship in 2025 with these guys we have now & making decisions that set us back 5 years or more.

We are essentially in a rebuild already with all the injuries. That's one of the reasons I don't really want to see Lucky Whitehead brought in. Let's use this to find talent that's going to pay off next season.  A veteran here or there that we can sign off of the scrap heap isn't going to be the difference between turning this season or not. The play of our young recruits will. If two of our rookie receivers take steps forward and we've got Lucky Whitehead and Kenny Lawler in the line do we really bench a rookie in favor of Lucky a guy who's not going to be here next season when Scheon is healthy?

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

By agreeing to not bring back Dru Brown (who experienced 3 dropped interceptions yesterday) I'm assuming that you mean they agreed to bring back Zach instead of Dru Brown and we aren't living in a dream world where bringing Brown back as a backup was on the table.  Part of me is hoping that Zach can't go next week so we can witness The Battle Of The Backups on Friday!  Will be an interesting storyline. 

21 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

We are essentially in a rebuild already with all the injuries. That's one of the reasons I don't really want to see Lucky Whitehead brought in. Let's use this to find talent that's going to pay off next season.  A veteran here or there that we can sign off of the scrap heap isn't going to be the difference between turning this season or not. The play of our young recruits will. If two of our rookie receivers take steps forward and we've got Lucky Whitehead and Kenny Lawler in the line do we really bench a rookie in favor of Lucky a guy who's not going to be here next season when Scheon is healthy?

To add to this...Lucky Whitehead is not a good receiver.  He's a playmaker type guy.  He's not going to stabilize our offense.  We need a strong workhorse type of slotback, great technical receiver.  Without that kind of guy there's no space for someone like Whitehead to do what he does well anyways.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

By agreeing to not bring back Dru Brown (who experienced 3 dropped interceptions yesterday) I'm assuming that you mean they agreed to bring back Zach instead of Dru Brown and we aren't living in a dream world where bringing Brown back as a backup was on the table.  Part of me is hoping that Zach can't go next week so we can witness The Battle Of The Backups on Friday!  Will be an interesting storyline. 

Brown is not a back up. He's a starting QB. This season, he's been better than Zach, Dukes, BLM and Maier to boot.

3 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Why wouldn’t the consideration at least be on the table? Or do you mean it was a dream world to have both Brown and Zach on the roster? The latter is true. 

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

To add to this...Lucky Whitehead is not a good receiver.  He's a playmaker type guy.  He's not going to stabilize our offense.  We need a strong workhorse type of slotback, great technical receiver.  Without that kind of guy there's no space for someone like Whitehead to do what he does well anyways.

Agree with this. I’d rather see what Ravi Alston can do than bring in Lucky. 

Alston didn’t do anything in his one start last year, but he’s at least more the body type they need on the roster. 

IF Lucky still has any speed, he can be a weapon, but yeah even peak Lucky wouldn’t  make enough impact on his own in this team right now.
He also tends to get hurt if he gets tackled more than a couple of times in a given game. 

Just to throw a name out there, if I were Walters I’d be trying my damndest to make a trade for Dunbar Jr. 

11 hours ago, BBRT said:

Mookie! Great to see you here. I forgot where the site was located and now back here. I am out of country a lot but hopefully can stay in Canada for the balance of the summer and keep track of the fortunes of my Bombers.

Miss your old website and wonder where Nasty Nate is these days!😃

He was quite active on the CFL.ca forums for a number of years. 
I’d read on the other form that he’s unfortunately suffered a degree of cognitive decline and is in assisted living. 

4 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Why wouldn’t the consideration at least be on the table? Or do you mean it was a dream world to have both Brown and Zach on the roster? The latter is true. 

I think that we didn't have that option. He wasn't going to give up a chance to start now on a team with a better offensive line and arguable a deeper receiving core. Why would he wait around making less money and not playing in Winnipeg.

6 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Brown is not a back up. He's a starting QB. This season, he's been better than Zach, Dukes, BLM and Maier to boot.

I'm aware he's currently a starter. But i would still view it as the battle of Zack's former and current backup especially so early into Brown's starting career. You never know he could end up being the football version of Eric Comrie and come back here one day if defensive starts squeezing those juicy pick balls. Id love to see what mood we would be in right now if Calgary had dropped just one Chris Streveler pick ball. 

13 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Thanks to the salary cap being too low, teams can no longer develop young qbs to be eventual starters. Shitty teams like Ottawa can't do it themselves so they pay these young guys too much money & they leave their old team just to be eaten up or annihalated by desperate teams praying to find a saviour at qb. Most of them who have promise leave a year or so too early just to get scooped up & spit out. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Thanks to the salary cap being too low, teams can no longer develop young qbs to be eventual starters. Shitty teams like Ottawa can't do it themselves so they pay these young guys too much money & they leave their old team just to be eaten up or annihalated by desperate teams praying to find a saviour at qb. Most of them who have promise leave a year or so too early just to get scooped up & spit out. 

I don't think this is a salary cap issue. Its about a qb who doesn't want to wait until he's on the wrong side of 30 to get a starting opportunity.

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Caleb Evans once looked promising but he's been in the league 4 years now and done nothing.

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If they are overspending either way...then yes...they could choose to develop a QB