GTD WEEK 4 - BOMBERS @ STAMPS

10 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Im not convinced Ottawa is such a crappy team or situation. They also made themselves attractive to a young QB. I think their offensive group rivals and probably surpasses ours even when we are healthy. 

Yes they paid that young QB more money. That’s what it comes down to. Dru signed there because they offered him the most money 

Edited by Goalie

22 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

To me, that's on Walters as GM. He is the guy who brings in talent & working with Osh decides who they'll sign, trade & recruit. We're all assuming that it's Osh who is the weak link here. I'm beginning to believe that both Walters & Osh are the problem. For example, both of them agreed not to bring back Dru Brown. They have to work together to build a championship team. The decision to keep the team together in it's structure & not bring in new pieces every season is a joint decision.

I don’t think they have equal blame, but I think there’s something to this. 
I understand a GM shouldn’t meddle as a rule, but there were issues and trends seen by the yeomen on here that Walters, or any ops staff in the pros, should have been able to mitigate sooner. Letting all the top-end talent get into their mid-30s at the same time is a fail. 

If MOS doesn’t want to use more impactful players, why is the option still being given to him?  Why were Kyrie Wilson, Jake Thomas, BA etc even offered spots to compete? That last grey cup game alone should have been the wake-up call to Walters. 

At a certain point, one guy is there to provide the best on-field talent possible, the other is there to use the talent provided to win football games.

If the coaching staff is undermining that, the GM has to make the tougher calls. Imo, Walters isn’t completely blameless in that context. 

21 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I don’t think they have equal blame, but I think there’s something to this. 
I understand a GM shouldn’t meddle as a rule, but there were issues and trends seen by the yeomen on here that Walters, or any ops staff in the pros, should have been able to mitigate sooner. Letting all the top-end talent get into their mid-30s at the same time is a fail. 

If MOS doesn’t want to use more impactful players, why is the option still being given to him?  Why were Kyrie Wilson, Jake Thomas, BA etc even offered spots to compete? That last grey cup game alone should have been the wake-up call to Walters. 

At a certain point, one guy is there to provide the best on-field talent possible, the other is there to use the talent provided to win football games.

If the coaching staff is undermining that, the GM has to make the tougher calls. Imo, Walters isn’t completely blameless in that context. 

I thik Walter's dosnt wanna be the tough guy and upset the koombyeya....but there comes a time you have to

Osh and his ways are crippling and killing this squad...any other HC in the league..even with the injuries we suffered would have this team sitting at 3-1 right now

1 minute ago, Booch said:

I thik Walter's dosnt wanna be the tough guy and upset the koombyeya....but there comes a time you have to

Osh and his ways are crippling and killing this squad...any other HC in the league..even with the injuries we suffered would have this team sitting at 3-1 right now

The message to MOS should have gone something like “Love ya bud, but you’ve  proven your personnel decisions aren’t up to snuff. The front office is going to bring in the players, and it’s time for you to work with what you’re given” 

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

Im not convinced Ottawa is such a crappy team or situation. They also made themselves attractive to a young QB. I think their offensive group rivals and probably surpasses ours even when we are healthy. 

If you look at our current lot of receivers, yes,

It’s not just O’Shea. That much is obvious. It’s Walters signing Alexander and Thomas and neufeld and Wilson and name a washed up vet. Sure Osh can give his opinion but Kyle don’t need to listen. Walters been quiet. We are 0 and 4. At what point does he speak up and force those tough decisions to be made. The gm brings in the players. It’s then up to the coaches to use them. Walters could have said no to Alexander Wilson Thomas etc but he didn’t. You don’t think they know Osh has a soft spot for vets? You don’t think they know roster management is an issue and has been? So why even give Osh the chance. Tells me they don’t think the vets in this case are the problem 

they let Damian Jackson go but currently we have 4 or 5 Jackson’s wasting roster spots. Lucky DJ wasn’t a vet, hmm although marines so suppose he was a vet but cfl vet? Nope. Who did they let go. Hardrick and rose? Bailey? 3 guys really from the veteran starter category? That’s not enough. Was gray a veteran? I suppose but not in the rose Bailey hardrick tier. 

Edited by Goalie

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

It’s not just O’Shea. That much is obvious. It’s Walters signing Alexander and Thomas and neufeld and Wilson and name a washed up vet. Sure Osh can give his opinion but Kyle don’t need to listen. Walters been quiet. We are 0 and 4. At what point does he speak up and force those tough decisions to be made. The gm brings in the players. It’s then up to the coaches to use them. Walters could have said no to Alexander Wilson Thomas etc but he didn’t. 

Walters should be impartial to player personalities, his job is to manage the player personnel within the given budget, when he re-signed Lawler to an excess contract for a receiver, he dropped the ball on fiscal management and it's been rolling down hill ever since.  He made choices that sacrificed depth in key position playing for base rates to splash out on a couple pieces of bling and in doing so he upset the apple cart.   He needs to rekindle his inner Wally Buono and accept that he is going to be feared by the players.

Some of the talk about Wade stepping in really highlights a worst case scenario.  By and large the president leaves the GM and HC to do their thing.  Meddling presidents and owners is generally bad practice… and I believe Wade usually tries to stick to this.

That being said if/when Wade -does- step in, it’ll be because things are worse than we’ll ever hear about, and it could be him nuking the front office.

This a double headed monster. Both MOS & Walters can both take credit for the situation of the team & where it's sitting in the standings. The fans have supported the Bombers giving them nearly an $8 million surplus since 2021. The fans & city deserve better, I expected this team to step back a bit. Maybe finish second or third with a record of 9-9 or 10-8, then reload for the Grey Cup run in 2025. Instead they've fallen off a cliff. the way it's going 4-14 or 5-13 may be where we end up. Then any ideas of winning a Grey Cup at home next year will be dashed. 

6 hours ago, Goalie said:

Yes they paid that young QB more money. That’s what it comes down to. Dru signed there because they offered him the most money 

Why did they pay him more money? Because we couldn't afford to pay Brown after tying our can to Collaros for 3 yrs at $600k per back in 2022. That's on Walters.

45 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Why did they pay him more money? Because we couldn't afford to pay Brown after tying our can to Collaros for 3 yrs at $600k per back in 2022. That's on Walters.

Yeah and IF we let Collaros walk after he won a  second cup how would that have looked? Very short memories around here but that is the prerogative of being a fan i guess.

5 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Yeah and IF we let Collaros walk after he won a  second cup how would that have looked? Very short memories around here but that is the prerogative of being a fan i guess.

Who said let him walk? The 3 year deal is/was the problem. Not necessary when you can go 1 by 1 or 1 + 1 with 50% guaranteed in the 2nd year as per CFLPA. Of course it's easy to see this in hindsight.

Edited by Doublezero

6 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

If anyone at the club reads this, you should be ashamed of yourselves. It’s hotdog season, come on! Hook our radio guys up! 

I don't know if this is true but I heard DT talking about eating 8-10 hotdogs in a row, what in god's name would possess anyone to eat more than one?

7 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

I don't know if this is true but I heard DT talking about eating 8-10 hotdogs in a row, what in god's name would possess anyone to eat more than one?

They’re good? 
Paying for more than one at the stadium is a different story.