Paris 2024 Olympics

18 minutes ago, iHeart said:

so the last few minutes

Summer has won her 3rd medal her 2nd gold

Felix is advancing to the semis (is this the furthest Canadians have done in Tennis?)

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/tennis/olympic-tennis-roundup-aug-1-1.7282307

and Canada fails to his the podium in fencing

Made the finals & won gold in men's doubles in 2000 (Canada's only medal in tennis).  Daniel Nestor was part of that team & he later lost in the bronze medal game in 2012 (also in men's doubles but with a different partner).

Edited by bigg jay

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The 2024 Woke Paris Olympics. Noeller, are you smiling when women boxers are getting the snot beat out of them by biological men who are too cowardly to fight their own gender? Getting the **** kicked out of you as a woman & boxing a man who is physically bigger & stronger in the name of inclusivity is truly actual brutality. The IBA wouldn't let Imane Kheif compete in the 2023 World Championships as Kheif tested positive for the XY chromosome & failed a gender affirmation test. Yet the Woke IOC said it was fine

For you progressives talking about inclusivity, how would you feel if that was your wife or daughter inside that boxing ring?? Anyone who says they're okay with seeing a woman sacrificing her health & safety for inclusivity in a violent sport like boxing then also supports violence against women. So keep on smiling, Noeller.... Inclusivity is such a good thing. 

Looks like Canada’s men’s basketball silver metal hopes will largely come down to luck of the draw. Because Germany had a weak group they were able to rack up a huge point differential and will end up with the 1st or second seed along with the USA. So those two teams can’t end up in the same side of the playoff bracket. The draw in Canada’s group will determine if they end up in the USA or Germany side of the bracket. 

6 hours ago, Rich said:

Pruned a few posts.  Keep the discussion on the Olympics not politics.

Too bad. I’d welcome discussion, even passionate discussion on contentious topics worthy of debate, be allowed here and let the dissenting opinions play out rather than being muted by the mods because the topic is one that can inflame passions. Especially considering some of the personal insults and name calling, character assassination of players and coaches, and disparaging of those who disagree with others’ opinions that the mods let slide because it is a Bomber discussion. JMO. 

11 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Too bad. I’d welcome discussion, even passionate discussion on contentious topics worthy of debate, be allowed here and let the dissenting opinions play out rather than being muted by the mods because the topic is one that can inflame passions. Especially considering some of the personal insults and name calling, character assassination of players and coaches, and disparaging of those who disagree with others’ opinions that the mods let slide because it is a Bomber discussion. JMO. 

You are more than welcome to start your own forum to house political discussion. 

JMO

42 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Nope...Rich has it right. The political threads brought out revolting behavior. Far, far worse than anything said in the football discussions. 

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Nope...Rich has it right. The political threads brought out revolting behavior. Far, far worse than anything said in the football discussions. 

But why does the issue of an athlete competing become “political” rather than being identified as a human rights or sports issue? One does not need to be conservative or liberal to have a viewpoint. If one political party has made it a central plank of their platform, is it politics as opposed to religion? And if it offends the specific “code of conduct” rules here, OK, but the consistency of applying those same rules seems hit or miss in the football forum. And if the intent of the forum is to purely stick to football, then maybe the entire general and hockey forums should get wiped out, I guess that is the Mods’ call, but they set the precedent by allowing discussion in other topics, just wondering why this can’t be a discussion about XY chromosomes, transgender distinctions in athlete categories, and how the new standard could be applied to competition, rather than calling it “political” as a means to silence discussion or label it as something else. But at the end of the day, it’s Rich’s forum, so his call. 

13 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

But why does the issue of an athlete competing become “political” rather than being identified as a human rights or sports issue? One does not need to be conservative or liberal to have a viewpoint. If one political party has made it a central plank of their platform, is it politics as opposed to religion? And if it offends the specific “code of conduct” rules here, OK, but the consistency of applying those same rules seems hit or miss in the football forum. And if the intent of the forum is to purely stick to football, then maybe the entire general and hockey forums should get wiped out, I guess that is the Mods’ call, but they set the precedent by allowing discussion in other topics, just wondering why this can’t be a discussion about XY chromosomes, transgender distinctions in athlete categories, and how the new standard could be applied to competition, rather than calling it “political” as a means to silence discussion or label it as something else. But at the end of the day, it’s Rich’s forum, so his call. 

Don’t ask me.  Ask the posters involved.  We’ll let any discussion go until it turns political.  Then those political posts get pruned.   Not every post on the topics you mentioned were deleted. 

Those specifics topics aren’t banned.  If people can have those discussions without it becoming political, they can stay.  If they can’t, they won’t.  It is that simple. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Don’t ask me.  Ask the posters involved.  We’ll let any discussion go until it turns political.  Then those political posts get pruned.   Not every post on the topics you mentioned were deleted. 

Those specifics topics aren’t banned.  If people can have those discussions without it becoming political, they can stay.  If they can’t, they won’t.  It is that simple. 

Ok. I did not see the comments as political, difference of opinion there.  I am torn on this issue. I think there is some dubious application by the rules and testing done by the IBA in this case that has led to some incorrect and unfortunate labelling. In the same breath, there needs to be a clearer standard for what category an athlete falls under based on genetic or hormonal or biological testing rather than what a passport says. Maybe it makes no difference, since some countries have an unfair advantage anyway with doping technology, money, or influence with the governing body. I do not believe that someone would change genders just to re-classify as female just in the hopes of gaining advantage to win a medal and for no other reason than that, seems extreme to me. But I would not disapprove of having a 3rd “transgender” category of competition if that is what it took. Thoughts?

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

53 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The drama in this today was fabulous. I have never in my life been so invested in pole vaulting...

Yeah I've had a ton of time to watch these games and have watched quite a bit (definitely some sports I don't usually watch) and that was awesome today. 

On 2024-08-07 at 3:30 PM, captaincanuck12 said:

Canada is doing well these Olympics.   A lot of 4th place finishes too... which could have improved our medal count.    The US dominates the medal count as usual.  I long for the day Canada become a powerhouse at the Olympics and we eclipse the 40 medal mark.   

Our population needs to double. 

9 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Winnipeg's Skylar Park takes bronze in Taekwondo.

We should name a park after her now. Seriously. Skylar Park 

Canada doing well. It’s the only thing on non streaming tv