3 stars turds and maybe a glimmer of hope

Yup, we have a lot of inexperienced guys in there, due to injuries, FA, or whatever.   But really compounding things....... is the inept play of a number of veterans, on both sides of the ball.  Becoming pretty clear who they are.....

Add the lack of preparation, questionable roster decisions, and not enough in-game adjustments....and you get a surefire formula for........0-4

3 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Stars 

Castillo 

Ford

Hubert 

Turds 

The same 4-5 guys we’ve been complaining about for months. 

All the American receivers. 

The LBs. 

Holm had a rough game too. 

Crappy Honker 

The bad punter who can run fast. 

Only punter in the league who could catch his own punts 

1. Castillo. 60 yards is 60 yards 

2. special teams tackling - much improved 

3. nichols ford holm bonds - they all played well.  

Turds 

1. Oline - just not good 

2. Buck pierce - just not bringing much this year it seems. Maybe it’s Collaros tho. It might just be. Strev spreads the ball around more. 

3. Brandon Alexander - I’m not sure who is more done than BA? Oh wait. Jake Bighill Wilson neufeld kolo say Hello. 

15 minutes ago, Goalie said:

2. Buck pierce - just not bringing much this year it seems. Maybe it’s Collaros tho. It might just be. Strev spreads the ball around more. 

So they clearly came out hoping to run the ball given the injuries at receiver... well calgary coaches are many things but they're not stupid and knew that and managed to shut it down well enough. Then you get into the problems with execution the Bombers showed. Streveler missed some throws (plays 1 quarter at the very beginning of preseason and then never throws the ball again until game 4)... some receivers over ran their spots in zone and you wind up with an incomplete pass, few passes (and the int in OT) were rushed to avoid pressure and didn't work. Felt like once they got desperate and stopped messing around the offense had some success in the 4th but christ the stupid penalties to play it on hard mode... They need to do something about the OL cause short yardage is too much of a struggle. Receiver injuries killed them but actually saw some good things for a change from some of the rooks (some bad too but progress I guess). 

Nobody mentions the short-armed struggler to the left abandoning his post allowing a 350 lb. behemoth clear passage to destroy Collaros, it looked like he just missed his bus and had to run after it.

Zach attempting to play the game 3 receivers short because he doesn't trust anyone new and can only track one or two receivers on any given play.  He's never been a reader, going through progressions has never been his bag.

The biggest turd is Kolonkowski. He was blocking Coatney their 350 lb NG. Then for some inexplicable reason, he abandons his block & goes to help Bryant double team the DE leaving a clear path for Coatney to hurt Collaros. Like WTF is this guy doing playing???? Obviouly, he thought that Neufeld was going to slide over & pick up Coatney. He never waited to make sure this happened. He just said Bye & now our starting qb is injured. MOS loves him so he plays but he is the worst OL in the CFL. Meanwhile a promising young Center languishes on the bench in favour of this assclown. Our qbs are in mortal danger as long as this guy keeps playing. Tui Eli needs to start. It's not even a question anymore. It's a fact. Our season could hang in the balance with this turkey being allowed to start. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

In Germany for the Euros. Hey, my son's a "football" (i.e. soccer) fan. So - being over here - unable to watch the game. Did just watch the recap. And the post-game presser with O'Shea. 

O'Shea. What can you say?

Well, one thing would be when things are good, they're good, and - for four years - they've been really good. So when we're going like that we'll forgive all the oddities. But when things are bad, wow, they're bad. And when they're this bad he really shouldn't be chuckling at the start of his interview. And then several times after. I know his thing is to "protect the culture" and so never admit the gravity of your situation. But, as I say, that wears thin quick when you're 0-4.

Also, could someone please tell me what the references to the pre-season/training camp are all about? What exactly was the issue there?

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd
clarification

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The biggest turd is Kolonkowski. He was blocking Coatney their 350 lb NG. Then for some inexplicable reason, he abandons his block & goes to help Bryant double team the DE leaving a clear path for Coatney to hurt Collaros. Like WTF is this guy doing playing???? Obviouly, he thought that Neufeld was going to slide over & pick up Coatney. He never waited to make sure this happened. He just said Bye & now our starting qb is injured. MOS loves him so he plays but he is the worst OL in the CFL. Meanwhile a promising young Center languishes on the bench in favour of this assclown. Our qbs are in mortal danger as long as this guy keeps playing. Tui Eli needs to start. It's not even a question anymore. It's a fact. Our season could hang in the balance with this turkey being allowed to start. 

That was Dobson who completely quit on the play when Collaros still had the ball.  Coatney wasn’t even moving until Dobson disengaged and gave him a free run into the pocket.

10 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Only punter in the league who could catch his own punts 

Seriously though he’s the worst punter the Bombers have had in my lifetime- for more than a game or 2 anyway. 

Clearly Legghio had to go as a FG kicker but he was a better punter than any of the migrant workers they’ve brought around since. 

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

That was Dobson who completely quit on the play when Collaros still had the ball.  Coatney wasn’t even moving until Dobson disengaged and gave him a free run into the pocket.

I have not been impressed with Dobson at all. 
I know he’s a “first year starter” but I mean, he was drafted in 2021 for gods sake. There’s no excuses for the rookie mistake stuff. 

For the fact he’s supposed to be a mauler, he jogs up to the pile after the fact wayyy too many times a game. 

Guys the Trent Corney of OL right now. 

Castillo ...no 1 ....He out kicked Paredes and that's no easy feat

Streve........feeling more comfortable with the offence (if you want to call it that...offensive more like) every time out

Smith......finally starting to show he's 'the guy' as our returner

'''''lots of turds out there last night....and a few are going to have to be flushed

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I have not been impressed with Dobson at all. 
I know he’s a “first year starter” but I mean, he was drafted in 2021 for gods sake. There’s no excuses for the rookie mistake stuff. 

For the fact he’s supposed to be a mauler, he jogs up to the pile after the fact wayyy too many times a game. 

Guys the Trent Corney of OL right now. 

Trent Corney???  He played DE and quit on his own accord, do you disparage random names from the past just because you can recall them?  Same with Malcolm Thompson, he won the Safety job out of TC and was moved on from for undisclosed reasons, but it wasn't his play. 

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Trent Corney???  He played DE and quit on his own accord, do you disparage random names from the past just because you can recall them?  Same with Malcolm Thompson, he won the Safety job out of TC and was moved on from for undisclosed reasons, but it wasn't his play. 

Yeah, Trent Corney.
Super athletic lineman who did a bunch of impressive non-football feats to pump up his draft stock. Couldn’t play up to the billing..

Malcom Thompson. Were the “undisclosed reasons” he sucked? cause I’m pretty sure that’s everyone on here thought and saw.
Guy got beat enough and missed enough tackles to be let go, as a Canadian on an MOS team lol. 

3 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Yeah, Trent Corney.
Super athletic lineman who did a bunch of impressive non-football feats to pump up his draft stock. Couldn’t play up to the billing..

Malcom Thompson. Were the “undisclosed reasons” he sucked? cause I’m pretty sure that’s everyone on here thought and saw.
Guy got beat enough and missed enough tackles to be let go, as a Canadian on an MOS team lol. 

Except corney did. He was never a primary pass rusher, just like Kongo wasn’t. Both were balanced to run defending ends. He was a very good rotational piece on the verge of breaking out, he did a better job of getting pressures thab Kongbo even. 
the only comparison is they are athletic Canadians. Dobson is 26 with 5 starts. No one on the ol is performing well given the number of changes and struggling Guys. Dobson hasn’t been worse than Bryant. But handily better than kola and neuf. He’s performed moderately better than lofton. 

What exactly do you find impressive in ol play? Who has impressed you in any plays? 
 Until the centre spot is fixed the rest of the line can’t be fully evaluated, neuf however is less mobile than my great grandma who’s long dead. His career is toast, we can cover for him but I don’t think he had the ability to recover to being more than that. 

44 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Except corney did. He was never a primary pass rusher, just like Kongo wasn’t. Both were balanced to run defending ends. He was a very good rotational piece on the verge of breaking out, he did a better job of getting pressures thab Kongbo even. 
the only comparison is they are athletic Canadians. Dobson is 26 with 5 starts. No one on the ol is performing well given the number of changes and struggling Guys. Dobson hasn’t been worse than Bryant. But handily better than kola and neuf. He’s performed moderately better than lofton. 

What exactly do you find impressive in ol play? Who has impressed you in any plays? 
 Until the centre spot is fixed the rest of the line can’t be fully evaluated, neuf however is less mobile than my great grandma who’s long dead. His career is toast, we can cover for him but I don’t think he had the ability to recover to being more than that. 

Agree on the center being the main issue.

I suppose I expected Dobson to be more of a physical force. I see him driven back in pass pro nearly as often as Kolo, and he doesn’t really get into the second level much on run plays. I guess it’s not a realistic expectation when the guy in the middle can’t do the job.

Quite honestly, Dobsons first game last year he got destroyed on the first play and I’ve been subconsciously judging him off that, and to be fair I haven’t seen any of our interior overpower anybody much this season. 
Its not like we have all the game film but I’ve been impressed by Bryant as usual, he moves around like a guy half his age. Lofton mostly, gradually more and more. I haven’t noticed us getting killed by rush ends. 
Stan had one rough whiff in the Montreal game, aside from that, when I see the replays of pressures/sacks he’s usually got the edge locked down. 

Either way, you know your **** better than I do, I’ll stop digging myself into a hole lol 

Sometimes I lean too hard on the comparisons. Corney wasn’t a fair one, Dobson seems much more dedicated to the game. 

It was mainly the athletic freak pre-draft stuff that made me see the similarities. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

18 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm a mess. Sitting at a downtown Calgary pub and just can't remember feeling this bad about the Bombers. Gonna get some kinda ****** up tonight... Everybody kept saying "Where's @17to85????".......

The longer you stay there, the faster you forget that the CFL is even a league!

7 minutes ago, Nolby said:

The longer you stay there, the faster you forget that the CFL is even a league!

Beer, whiskey and then random Moscow Mule tastings downtown YYC last night definitely numbed the pain.... 

29 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Agree on the center being the main issue.

I suppose I expected Dobson to be more of a physical force. I see him driven back in pass pro nearly as often as Kolo, and he doesn’t really get into the second level much on run plays. I guess it’s not a realistic expectation when the guy in the middle can’t do the job.

Quite honestly, Dobsons first game last year he got destroyed on the first play and I’ve been subconsciously judging him off that, and to be fair I haven’t seen any of our interior overpower anybody much this season. 
Its not like we have all the game film but I’ve been impressed by Bryant as usual, he moves around like a guy half his age. Lofton mostly, gradually more and more. I haven’t noticed us getting killed by rush ends. 
Stan had one rough whiff in the Montreal game, aside from that, when I see the replays of pressures/sacks he’s usually got the edge locked down. 

Either way, you know your **** better than I do, I’ll stop digging myself into a hole lol 

Sometimes I lean too hard on the comparisons. Corney wasn’t a fair one, Dobson seems much more dedicated to the game. 

It was mainly the athletic freak pre-draft stuff that made me see the similarities. 

Teams are playing heavy nose packages against us, twisting and stunting across the nose of kola. 
 This has created 90+ percent of our problems imo. 
 It’s the job of the centre to adjust protection, communicate pre snap reads and post snap to manage exchanges on twists stunts etc. I see considerable frustration from the guards, and even Brady on kolas poor communication and execution. 
 Centre is like S, mlber, and qb in that it’s a primary group leader. It comes with a lot of responsibility out side of individual production. Most centres in this league are undersized and don’t handle and import nose tackle well. Kola is significantly worse than the rest at this, but his failure at the finer points of being a centre is what really kills kola. 

Our whole ol has not been able to get off initial blocks and get down field to the second level this year. This really limits our gaps for Brady. 
 Normally in a 5 on 4 alignment you only get 1 guy to the second level with our izr/tite scheme. The play side guard and tackle combo block, and alignment dictates who goes to the second level. Basic rule of thumb is play side, who ever has they heads up or in their gap gets the help and the other player skips to the second level. 
 We use a heavy set a good bit to creat a 6 on 4 where we can get two guys to the second level. This is general eli at te on the right side. In previous years very frequently the end would be over the edge meaning eli takes the man and hardrick was the guy to go to the second level. 

At current because we see a lot of nose tackle play and kola can’t handle really any dl one on one the guards aren’t getting to the second level. This also means we have a lopsided dl alignment most of the time where a dt is on a guards out shoulder crossing his face and going to the a gap. That makes it hard for the second guard to get much done. It’s hard to turn a dt or stone wall him when he crosses you. 

Dobson certainly isn’t where I want to see him yet, but tbh the only ni guard I’ve seen get it that point that fast in their first year starting is desjarlais. I think Dobson is still adjusting to his new physique as well, he was super athletic but rather pot bellied and about 30-40lbs over when he left college. We’ve seen a few guys go through that. Eli and gray struggled a lot at guard last year next to kola too. 

Bryant is the ageless wonder for sure. I don’t see him getting the chances to cruise like we used to, like every one else, but he shows no signs of slowing down. He was pissed last night too. 

Lofton can handle his man when heads up. Still struggles with speed off the edge but our inside is soo bad teams aren’t strategizing to beat the edge, no need when they can mash us up the middle fast. I’ve got doubts about him, but I wouldn’t trade him for hardrick currently especially with that contract. 

Dobsons best comparison imo is actually wallace, but it doesn’t help with projection for Dobson.  Athletic, but over weight big frame ncaa linemen, Wallace is bigger for sure, and softer build but he looked better in pre season. Wallace could pass Dobson in camp next year at this rate. 

We played a lot of heavy set early in last nights game. And the whole game any time eli came on, he was making calls which helped his side and edge. I’ve never seen a guy take over calls while the C still tries like that lol.