GDT - Ottawa Redblacks vs. Winnipeg Blue Bombers - Let the Redemption Tour Begin!

A couple of thoughts leading up to the game:

• It's been a long time since I thought about our team being undisciplined but last week we saw a myriad of mental errors put the offense behind the sticks.  With the offense struggling, and the team lacking playmakers, we must have a much cleaner game to have a chance.
  • Our DBs have played better as the season has gone on but giving up chunk plays has absolutely killed us at times.  Younger needs to get those guys all on the same page and, if BA continues to struggle, get him out of there.  I love the dude and what he's given to this club but he's a liability right now. 
  • I'd like to see a more up tempo offense.  We've moved the ball well in those hurry up situations and, with a guy like Streveler behind centre, we may be able to stress the Ottawa defense and move the ball consistently.  Will Buck be able to implement a game plan for Streveler?  The jury is out on that I think.
  • Which receiver is going to step up?  Next man up is a great mantra but means little if the next man can't make an impact.  Rightly or wrongly, I don't think Demski is that guy.  He's an excellent piece of a well rounded offense but is never going to dominate or routinely win those one on one battles.
  • There's going to be at least one punt that leaves us all asking, "Why the hell is Sheahan still on the roster?"  We can't keep giving up field position like that.

Keeping my fingers crossed and hope that Streveler has a solid game tonight.  I love that dudes fire and will always root for him.  I think if he puts up 250 with 2TDs (and possibly an INT) along with 50ish yards on the ground, we win.  That's easily doable for him.  

if we actually scheme a plan to suit Streveler as a QB with dual threat ability...and NOT  try to make him a pocket passer...I think you will see a really good looking offence...even with all these subs....Now put him out with that mindset with Lawler in the mix...whatever current newbie steps up and yes Lucky....we may have something....Toss Eli in at center first to see if that fix's what ails the oline as well and move forward from there. I think even with the addition of Strev right now alone will make the oline seem more capable....

A smart thing I hope Buck has worked in is sets with Smith and BO in backfield together with Strev and some option..RPO..roll-out stuff where any one of the 3 may get the ball...

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

if we actually scheme a plan to suit Streveler as a QB with dual threat ability...and NOT  try to make him a pocket passer...I think you will see a really good looking offence...even with all these subs....Now put him out with that mindset with Lawler in the mix...whatever current newbie steps up and yes Lucky....we may have something....Toss Eli in at center first to see if that fix's what ails the oline as well and move forward from there. I think even with the addition of Strev right now alone will make the oline seem more capable....

A smart thing I hope Buck has worked in is sets with Smith and BO in backfield together with Strev and some option..RPO..roll-out stuff where any one of the 3 may get the ball...

Between Brady, Demski and Smith we should have a lot of options in the backfield. I think Smith’s gonna be what we wanted Greg MacRae to be.
I’d like to see MCI in when they’re moving the FB out of the backfield. Feltmate isn’t a threat to do anything with the ball.

Hopefully we see more than Brady up the gut, strev up the gut, PA fake up the gut. 

Ideally they mix that misdirection in a little more, and run the PA off that. This line isn’t good enough to drive everyone back like years past. They might have to try to fool the other team sometimes.

Get the other team thinking about it, force them to watch the flats and then let Brady do his A/B gap stuff later in the game. 

I was feeling hopeful earlier in the week... After a week of people down and complaining on this board I have lost hope once again, and am fully expecting yet another loss.

I'll do my best to enjoy the pre game on the radio with some drinks in the sun and just hope we don't fully embarrass ourselves in front of a home crowd.

The only person I have full faith in is Wade Miller. He doesn't want this to be his legacy, and I believe he'll fix this eventually...

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I was feeling hopeful earlier in the week... After a week of people down and complaining on this board I have lost hope once again, and am fully expecting yet another loss.

I'll do my best to enjoy the pre game on the radio with some drinks in the sun and just hope we don't fully embarrass ourselves in front of a home crowd.

The only person I have full faith in is Wade Miller. He doesn't want this to be his legacy, and I believe he'll fix this eventually...

Oh sure, blame us for your rampant negativity! ;)

Just now, Goalie said:

To be fair to the DBs it’s mainly Alexander being burned badly. 

But I did notice on Facebook bombers are calling these games Chapters like tonight is chapter 5. Someone needs to tell them that most books introduce new characters. 

Or kill some off at least.  There are a few characters on this team that shouldn't be part of the story any longer.

Some keys to the game. 

400 yards of offence and putting up more yards than ott. We’ve been around 300 yards this year of combined offence and put up less than every team we’ve faced. Win the battle and pass 400 combined and we are in great shape. 

call a good game on o, and execute. Don’t rush or fake rpos, let the D commit before pulling the pin or running. Have some good easy high percentage passes to move the chains early. 

strevy time. Big Chris needs to make good decisions, protect the ball, and take what the D gives him.  

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Honestly, I was hopeful until I saw both depth charts. 
We just don’t have the playmakers right now to win a close game. 

I’m not saying there’s zero chance, but a lot of Bombers will have to have career games every week to get wins right now, whereas most teams can beat us with an average one from most of their guys. 

I have faith in Wade, to a lesser extent Walters too, but moreso in the off-season and heading into next year.
Fwiw, last time they had a bad season with this group, they ditched a lot of guys and went hog wild in FA, and that was after a year where MOS did a lot of the same crap we’re upset about now.  
I’m thinking more and more this may be a lost year and the best course is to rebuild/buy the team in the off-season to win the home GC, without MOS if necessary. Honestly, I’d be pretty ok with that. 

1 hour ago, voodoochylde said:

A couple of thoughts leading up to the game:

• It's been a long time since I thought about our team being undisciplined but last week we saw a myriad of mental errors put the offense behind the sticks.  With the offense struggling, and the team lacking playmakers, we must have a much cleaner game to have a chance.
  • Our DBs have played better as the season has gone on but giving up chunk plays has absolutely killed us at times.  Younger needs to get those guys all on the same page and, if BA continues to struggle, get him out of there.  I love the dude and what he's given to this club but he's a liability right now. 
  • I'd like to see a more up tempo offense.  We've moved the ball well in those hurry up situations and, with a guy like Streveler behind centre, we may be able to stress the Ottawa defense and move the ball consistently.  Will Buck be able to implement a game plan for Streveler?  The jury is out on that I think.
  • Which receiver is going to step up?  Next man up is a great mantra but means little if the next man can't make an impact.  Rightly or wrongly, I don't think Demski is that guy.  He's an excellent piece of a well rounded offense but is never going to dominate or routinely win those one on one battles.
  • There's going to be at least one punt that leaves us all asking, "Why the hell is Sheahan still on the roster?"  We can't keep giving up field position like that.

Keeping my fingers crossed and hope that Streveler has a solid game tonight.  I love that dudes fire and will always root for him.  I think if he puts up 250 with 2TDs (and possibly an INT) along with 50ish yards on the ground, we win.  That's easily doable for him.  

I agree with all of this... except BA needs to be out of the lineup, now... he made the team this year based on the 2021 version of himself... and despite not being anywhere near that anymore... he still continues to start

7 minutes ago, Atomic said:

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have started 0-4 after a Grey Cup appearance last season. The veterans they relied on in the past have begun to show their age. They are hoping for a spark from their backup QB at home to carry them to their first victory of the season. The year is 2008 and Ryan Dinwiddie is starting.

It didn’t lead to anything else, but that was an extremely fun game to be at. We hadn’t beat the Stamps without a backup QB playing for them in like 500 games at that point.