GDT - Ottawa Redblacks vs. Winnipeg Blue Bombers - Let the Redemption Tour Begin!

13 minutes ago, Brandon said:

mini odds and sods on which changes you think they should make?

Truth....injuries make it hard to implement x number of changes.......
....as fast as one would like.
OL run blocking better last 2 games
But still too many whifs in pass pro from interior, though..
Need more juice in the passing game...
......can't stretch the field, with current setup
Strevler/Olivera are not made of iron
....real trouble if they go out...
Clercius is a big target inside.....may see more usage
A more athletic SAM would be nice.....Kramdi is not it.
J. Thomas might of done better....without all the holding
......but both MLB and S looking pretty cooked, these days...

1 minute ago, Piggy 1 said:

Bonds and Ford will be All Stars.....

And Bonds looked like **** when Nichols was out.

Same scenario with change motion (guy from slot motions around wideout outside right at snap) they got burned on in Ottawa on the play he got the pick on today.  Comfortable, kept his feet, made a play.  He's not standing around waving his arms but at the same time doing nothing to cover anyone or make a play.  Big difference with Nichols out there.

Here's a change idea for a game.  Roster Vanterpool for Mitchell, sit Dobson for a week and let him stew a bit on assignments, pop on whatever other Canadian you want, probably Murphy to backup receivers.

Let's see if Vanterpool is a difference maker at guard too.  Otherwise start looking at American interior guys to bring in.  We need to make that change.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Rough toddler bedtime?  Never heard of such a thing. :) 

All good my friend.

Single Dad life man. Rough bedtime or not, nowhere else I’d rather be, Bombers included. 

I do appreciate the thread and the recaps though. Now I know it’s worth a late watch. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

22 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Realistically I don't see why we can't go tandem at QB and get Strev in for entire series even when Zach is back.

It's there as much as it's needed.

If Collaros is in rhythm you need it less.  If he's in shambles you get the run/RPO stuff going.

Have a standing package of plays in the script for Streveler.  Can't be that difficult.  Guys will know the scheme since Streveler is getting some starts now.

Some random thoughts:

At times Canada v. Venezuela was more exciting.

When was the last time Bighill or Alexander used their arms as part of their tackling technique?

I’m not sure of the number of plays Thomas got but he looked ok last night.

The ability of Steveler to run opened things up for Oliveira. There were some nice blocks by Streveler, too. However, I don’t know how long he can take the added pounding before something breaks. 

I don’t know anything about QBs’ throwing mechanics but Streveler’s still look odd.

The corners and the halfbacks looked a lot better.  I like Booch’s idea of moving Holm to safety. He seems to have good closing speed certainly a heck of a lot faster than Alexander and he can tackle. Not that O’Shea will pull Alexander. Are there competent guys in reserve to move to the halfback spot?

Not much to say about Kramdi that hasn’t already been said other than too small, too slow and maybe doesn’t have a high football IQ. We use that term in hockey. Don’t know if it’s used in football.

Special teams are improving although I’m still not sold on Sheahan.  Miller’s systems getting ingrained?

Castillo was right about those micro-chipped balls, more like macro-chipped. He has been excellent since those two early “misses”

Calgary is no great shakes so far this season so next weeks game is winnable.

Go Bombers Go!

Random thoughts after watching the whole game very late last night. 

Bombers played pissed off and I like it. 

Strev is a surefire Bomber HOF player and just a joy to watch. I don’t think his body is going to make it through the year. 

Kolo, and to a lesser extent both guards at times still dragging the offence down. 

I’m not sure that they can get away with the lack of passing game against better coached teams tbh. 

Willie had his best game since 2022. Especially when he was playing next to Woods. 

The punter just sucks.

So does Kramdi. So does BA. Get those 2 guys out and the D will be better than 22 and 23 by the end of the year. 

On that, do we not have an LB that can use their arms on a tackle anymore? 

Kyrie Wilson had his best game of the year and still got a exploited a ton. 

The first team to stick with the run against our D is going tot have a field day. 

Clercius looks bigger and taller than he actually is, think he’s gonna be a real solid possession receiver. 

This week and last may have been 2 of the worst officiated CFL games I’ve seen since the Murray Clarke days. 

The crowd was great (on TV anyway) except we need to re-train them to STFU when we’re on offence. 

We’re not out of the woods by a long shot. Love to see a win. Very fun game. Still see too many of the same issues not being dealt with to get super-excited. Hopes high, expectations still pretty low. 

TSN- Rod Smith in particular still comes across as hating the Bombers. Example, the sack by Willie/Adams in the 4th, the delivery is like an Ottawa home radio announcer. 

Thomas looks like he’s getting held a lot but a more physically capable player would still be able to fight out of a lot of that and make the play. 

Bonds has been good-great, but whoever plays next to Deatrick Nichols gets an all star nod. If he played dine instead of HB, he’d get the same attention as Pickett from TSN and the media. 

One more thing, it’s too early to say they’ve completely fixed the kick cover units, but they’re certainly improved. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

9 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Clercius looks bigger and taller than he actually is, think he’s gonna be a real solid possession receiver. 

He’s looked good, huge out there. Looks like a tough cover if he hooks it up at 7-8 and falls forward for 3-4. 

I woke up this morning still in disbelief that the Strev headshot wasn't called on the field. In a game where a QB was already lost to a similar hit. It's honestly hard to figure out.

Also the "offsetting" 10 and 15 yard penalties for two guys tussling was hilarious. Especially when Ottawa had a third guy come in and throw a shot.

1 minute ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I woke up this morning still in disbelief that the Strev headshot wasn't called on the field. In a game where a QB was already lost to a similar hit. It's honestly hard to figure out.

Also the "offsetting" 10 and 15 yard penalties for two guys tussling was hilarious. Especially when Ottawa had a third guy come in and throw a shot.

Offsetting penalties would have given us an opportunity for a first down and the league can't have that.

8 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Ya what the hell was that.