GDT - Ottawa Redblacks vs. Winnipeg Blue Bombers - Let the Redemption Tour Begin!

Did Woli even get a look last night?? Demski got two that I can remember....We need the passing game to kick in....Having our no 2 qb. (soon to be no 1) take that kind of beating is going to catch up....

18 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Did Woli even get a look last night?? Demski got two that I can remember....We need the passing game to kick in....Having our no 2 qb. (soon to be no 1) take that kind of beating is going to catch up....

He definitely caught at least one pass early.

2 hours ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

Some random thoughts:

At times Canada v. Venezuela was more exciting.

When was the last time Bighill or Alexander used their arms as part of their tackling technique?

I’m not sure of the number of plays Thomas got but he looked ok last night.

The ability of Steveler to run opened things up for Oliveira. There were some nice blocks by Streveler, too. However, I don’t know how long he can take the added pounding before something breaks. 

I don’t know anything about QBs’ throwing mechanics but Streveler’s still look odd.

The corners and the halfbacks looked a lot better.  I like Booch’s idea of moving Holm to safety. He seems to have good closing speed certainly a heck of a lot faster than Alexander and he can tackle. Not that O’Shea will pull Alexander. Are there competent guys in reserve to move to the halfback spot?

Not much to say about Kramdi that hasn’t already been said other than too small, too slow and maybe doesn’t have a high football IQ. We use that term in hockey. Don’t know if it’s used in football.

Special teams are improving although I’m still not sold on Sheahan.  Miller’s systems getting ingrained?

Castillo was right about those micro-chipped balls, more like macro-chipped. He has been excellent since those two early “misses”

Calgary is no great shakes so far this season so next weeks game is winnable.

Go Bombers Go!

How is Kramdi to Small.  He's bigger than alot of SAM linebackers in this league.

Kramdi I think is fine. I’m not sure tho why he’s always lined up with the other teams best receiver tho. That’s just dumb. Kramdi tho can atleast tackle. He’s our only starting linebacker who can. Wilson and Bighill tho, man. How many times did bighill look done last night. The one play in particular where he just gave up and lied on the ground. Man. I’m not sure how they can justify that **** in the film room 

Edited by Goalie

33 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

How is Kramdi to Small.  He's bigger than alot of SAM linebackers in this league.

OK, he's not smaller than some of the other teams' SAMs but I stand by my other points and he has trouble (like a few of his teammates) tackling. Special teams guy and backup LB at best. Just my opinion as a fan.

1 minute ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

OK, he's not smaller than some of the other teams' SAMs but I stand by my other points and he has trouble (like a few of his teammates) tackling. Special teams guy and backup LB at best. Just my opinion as a fan.

He’s the only linebacker who can tackle. Bighill and Wilson can’t. I mean our DT ran 31 yards downfield to make a tackle b4 our linebackers could. 

3rd and 3. Just run at bighill every time. First down. He’s the biggest problem on the line backing crew. 

11 minutes ago, Goalie said:

He’s the only linebacker who can tackle. Bighill and Wilson can’t. I mean our DT ran 31 yards downfield to make a tackle b4 our linebackers could. 

3rd and 3. Just run at bighill every time. First down. He’s the biggest problem on the line backing crew. 

I agree that Bighill is having issues this season and is a problem.

I thought our secondary was excellent. In fact it’s been getting better every game. Only allowing a 126 yards ( a big chunk of it being on that last play of the first half) holding guys like Rhymes for 1 catch for 2 yards and Addison for 7 yards was a great effort. Ford has been the real deal. After a rough first game he’s been lock down. I thought Nichols and Bonds were both also outstanding. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Kramdi’s not enough of a DB to take all those dime reps. Rather see him at WIL if he has to be out there, but not a fan of him as a starter. For every play he makes, he gets turned around in the short-intermediate game. 

He’d be the perfect spell/backup/ST guy. 

I like Kramdi more than most. He has a good football IQ and is a solid tackler, but yeah I agree. He’s just a little bit too slow to play where he plays, the ultimate rotational player in certain situations but he’s paid like a star and it’s really hard to justify that, other then being Canadian  https://3downnation.com/2024/05/13/the-cfls-15-highest-paid-defensive-backs-for-the-2024-season/  

2 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I like Kramdi more than most. He has a good football IQ and is a solid tackler, but yeah I agree. He’s just a little bit too slow to play where he plays, the ultimate rotational player in certain situations but he’s paid like a star and it’s really hard to justify that, other then being Canadian  https://3downnation.com/2024/05/13/the-cfls-15-highest-paid-defensive-backs-for-the-2024-season/  

Jesus, he only makes 25k less than Ardarius Pickett at max value and only 40k less in hard money. That’s ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. 

Probably more nuance than I’m gonna use, but that basically tells me they could have ditched Wilson and Kramdi for Pickett and a rookie WIL. Huge fail. 

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

One completion that’s it. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Hes 5’10 194. The big thing these days is a guy who more along the lines of a wil at 215 ish. Picket is the best Sam in the league by miles and is 5’11 210 ish.  And yes, 15 very lean pounds makes a big difference at a position like db. Rene is 6’2 206. 
 Kramdi is smaller than the modern prototype of a Sam, but I don’t think that’s the issue. He is ok at making tackles when the guy is in his arms/chest. He struggles with tackles when it’s a close out though. Ends up diving and arm tackling and missing. 

He makes mistakes like not looking back to the ball, and missing positioning in pattern match. When he gets into or finds him self in the right place at the right time he’s hit or miss on finishing out opportunities. Hes a good dime, and kind of stuck with a tweener skill set. And for a guy in his 4th year with 40 plus games id expect him to make less mistakes. 

43 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Kramdi’s not enough of a DB to take all those dime reps. Rather see him at WIL if he has to be out there, but not a fan of him as a starter. For every play he makes, he gets turned around in the short-intermediate game. 

He’d be the perfect spell/backup/ST guy. 

With how we play, wil really isn’t much different than dime. Inside wall player hcf zones, the wil just had more asked of him in run fits. Kramdi is definitely too small for wil. I think S would be decent though, if he can cover the ground needed. Most ni S players don’t cover a ton of ground though. 

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Hes 5’10 194. The big thing these days is a guy who more along the lines of a wil at 215 ish. Picket is the best Sam in the league by miles and is 5’11 210 ish.  And yes, 15 very lean pounds makes a big difference at a position like db. Rene is 6’2 206. 
 Kramdi is smaller than the modern prototype of a Sam, but I don’t think that’s the issue. He is ok at making tackles when the guy is in his arms/chest. He struggles with tackles when it’s a close out though. Ends up diving and arm tackling and missing. 

He makes mistakes like not looking back to the ball, and missing positioning in pattern match. When he gets into or finds him self in the right place at the right time he’s hit or miss on finishing out opportunities. Hes a good dime, and kind of stuck with a tweener skill set. And for a guy in his 4th year with 40 plus games id expect him to make less mistakes. 

With how we play, wil really isn’t much different than dime. Inside wall player hcf zones, the wil just had more asked of him in run fits. Kramdi is definitely too small for wil. I think S would be decent though, if he can cover the ground needed. Most ni S players don’t cover a ton of ground though. 

35 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Considering Pickett asked for his release then immediately signed with Ottawa tells me that’s pie in the sky stuff. 

Or another high end FA

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I don’t think he has the closing speed to be at FS on the regular. 
Really, he’s either great depth or a below average starter at any spot. 

6 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Or another high end FA

I don’t think he has the closing speed to be at FS on the regular. 
Really, he’s either great depth or a below average starter at any spot. 

He’s faster than Hallett, and most ni Ss in the cfl. 

I agree Kramdl doesnt have the speed for coverage situations, when he has to cover a slotback he is at a disadvantage. He does have a lot of good instincts and is great in a number of defensive schemes, but I would like to see Griffin utilized a lot more or Ayers. Im not sure what is happening with Cole but they don't seem to have much faith in him at times.

Kramdl is another example of this teams reluctance to not make changes to vets roles. (much like Alexander and Thomas)

Kramdi is the least of our linebacker concerns. Wilson and Bighill do very little. I think playing bighill Wilson and Jake at the same time is basically playing short 3 players. They all do nothing. Suitor talks about tackles but they all well after big yards are gained. We suck against the run. It’s our Achilles heel and has been for some time now. 

if you replaced Wison and Bighill with younger better more impactful players, things would change. Kramdi, I would prob not start him and use him as a rotational piece but I’d start him over Jake Thomas or Koala at this point. Neufeld ain’t looking much better either. Dobson getting picked on. 

He seems to be struggling more this year than last, but he’s the least of the LBer concerns. 

The team who decides to do what we did to Ottawa yesterday vs US will destroy our D. 

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Kramdi is the least of our linebacker concerns. Wilson and Bighill do very little. I think playing bighill Wilson and Jake at the same time is basically playing short 3 players. They all do nothing. Suitor talks about tackles but they all well after big yards are gained. We suck against the run. It’s our Achilles heel and has been for some time now. 

if you replaced Wison and Bighill with younger better more impactful players, things would change. Kramdi, I would prob not start him and use him as a rotational piece but I’d start him over Jake Thomas or Koala at this point. Neufeld ain’t looking much better either. Dobson getting picked on. 

He seems to be struggling more this year than last, but he’s the least of the LBer concerns. 

The team who decides to do what we did to Ottawa yesterday vs US will destroy our D. 

I’m very surprised Calgary in particular didn’t run it down our throats. 

24 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He’s faster than Hallett, and most ni Ss in the cfl. 

If he’s coming down on something yes. Where I see him struggling is when he has to turn his hips and get back to full speed. 

Calgary might next game. 

Anyone think Zach plays next game? Or do they roll with Streveler still. I feel if Zach starts he don’t finish for some weird reason. Just some weird vibe. I think our oline is gonna get Zach hurt worse than he currently is. I dunno if I risk it honestly. Gotta fix the oline. Zach can’t out run the constant pressure. I don’t want to see it but I feel it’s gonna happen if they start him and make zero changes to the line. Oline wasn’t much better yesterday. Strev tho can run. Did Dru start a few in a row ? I think he did. Maybe Strev gets the ball until the lose. 

Edited by Goalie

3 hours ago, Stickem said:

I feel like a lot of people are forgetting what our wr corps is like right now. Demski is Number 1 and wolly number 2. Neither one of those guys are those things though. Our passing game is going to struggle until Lawler comes back. Doesn't matter who is behind centre.

16 hours ago, Captain Blue said:

Nice to get a win. Still very much a work in progress. Offense still drives me nuts, think they should be much better than they are despite the QB change and brutal receivers. Definitely gotta rotate some more through. 

Honestly the D gets a lot of criticism but they have held it together more than the O. 

Damning with faint praise.