Around the NHL 2024-25

5 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Not what I read but facts will come out in the end. 

Lives ruined.

I see on sportsnet it does say suspected that the driver was under the influence. What a ******. 

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I saw the posts on X. The hockey reporter who posted that out of respect to the Gaudreau family should have waited until the story is confirmed. 

It's the TMZ way of dealing with a celebrity RIP, like Kobe. Gotta be the first to score the views/retweets. Reporter clearly had confirm from someone.

It happened around 830 last night NJ time. Apparently the first time it was mentioned was during the Philadelphia Phillies chat on Reddit. That other dude who tweeted it out has a history of bs. His brother works for every police department. Same guy who said Amari cooper was shot in Texas when he wasn’t. The original one tho was posted on the Phillies Reddit chat around 830. I’d imagine the gaudreaus were told instantly. It happened half a mile from the family home 

Nothing to do with likes and views. Just ppl sharing unfortunate information. In the days of cell phones and internet. It’s probably not hard to confirm instantly. It’s a tragic situation for the family tho. Sisters wedding was today. August 30.  Like I said last night it was very Kobe like where nobody was denying anything. Ppl were waiting for ppl to deny it. Saw posts saying ppl were hoping Johnny himself would appear on socials or his agent or someone would deny it but when nobody did it was obviously true. 

Edited by Goalie

5 minutes ago, iHeart said:

I don’t think the beer makes a driver pass people on the shoulder. This is road rage.  People really shouldn’t blame the alcohol. Some ppl can have 5 or 6 American beers and be fine. I mean if he downed them all in an hour ok but sounds like it was over a period of a few hours. Alcohol is interesting. The more you drink the more you need to drink to get drunk. I don’t drink but when I did 5 or 6 was nothing. 11 or 12 tho. But I never once drove home drunk. Not gonna lie tho, drove with friends who were. Dumb choices is a thing. Driver passed on the shoulder where they were cycling. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

I don’t think the beer makes a driver pass people on the shoulder. This is road rage.  People really shouldn’t blame the alcohol. Some ppl can have 5 or 6 American beers and be fine. 

Alcohol impairs judgement.   Why are you trying to dismiss drunk driving?   And justify "some people can have 5 or 6 beers and still drive"?    Thats ridiculous and irresponsible. 

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Alcohol impairs judgement.   Why are you trying to dismiss drunk driving?   And justify "some people can have 5 or 6 beers and still drive"?    Thats ridiculous and irresponsible. 

Because some people can. It’s just reality. I’m not dismissing drunk driving. Ppl who do that should be put away longer. I just don’t think it’s as simple as just the alcohol tho. Regardless 2 people are dead and that sucks. 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Because some people can. It’s just reality 

They may think that they are not impaired, but they are.  Reaction time and decision making is not the same as if they hadn't had anything to drink, whether they "feel" it or not.

2 minutes ago, Sard said:

They may think that they are not impaired, but they are.  Reaction time and decision making is not the same as if they hadn't had anything to drink, whether they "feel" it or not.

I’ve never seen a dude attempt to pass cars on the shoulder of the road. To me that’s more than just the alcohol making you do that. That’s just stupid. I don’t know what this Higgins dude was thinking honestly. 

Higgins entered the southbound lanes to pass the slower-moving sedan and SUV. He then tried to re-enter the northbound lanes when the SUV in front of him moved to the middle of the roadway, splitting the north and south lanes, to safely pass the Gaudreau brothers traveling north on the right side of the roadway. 

Higgins then tried to pass the SUV on the right and struck the Gaudreaus from behind, according to an incident report.

that’s just stupidity. 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, Goalie said:

I’ve never seen a dude attempt to pass cars on the shoulder of the road. To me that’s more than just the alcohol making you do that. That’s just stupid 

I don't disagree that passing on the shoulder is stupid, it absolutely is, and it drives me crazy when I see impatient people do it in some areas around here.

My response was more to your comment about whether a person who has had 5-6 beers can drive.  They may think that they can and likely get away with it a lot, but at the end of the day, their judgement and reaction time are impaired whether they think so or not.

3 minutes ago, Sard said:

I don't disagree that passing on the shoulder is stupid, it absolutely is, and it drives me crazy when I see impatient people do it in some areas around here.

My response was more to your comment about whether a person who has had 5-6 beers can drive.  They may think that they can and likely get away with it a lot, but at the end of the day, their judgement and reaction time are impaired whether they think so or not.

Sure. I’ll agree with that. Ppl think they are always fine. 5 or 6. 11 or 12. 2 or 3.  I had a friend who hit the side of chief Peguis bridge when drunk. We were driving behind him. He had 3 beers. His hubcap came off and we almost cranked it. Scary ****. But he was also diabetic so other factors at play there. Low blood sugar levels. Unfortunately my friend passed away in 2011. 

Edited by Goalie

There’s a picture out there of the road. If you see it, your first thought is the driver was just dumb. Turns out the shoulder is just grass. It’s a 2 lane 1 in each direction paved country road. Just poor judgement regardless of alcohol or not. I drive by bars daily and see parking lots filled with cars. Those ppl are all about to get in their car and drive and break the law. Regardless of 1 or 2 or 5 or 6. People need to understand that anything more than 1 and you are risking it. Ppl unfortunately take that risk every night. 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

There’s a picture out there of the road. If you see it, your first thought is the driver was just dumb. Turns out the shoulder is just grass. It’s a 2 lane 1 in each direction paved country road. Just poor judgement regardless of alcohol or not. 

This is exactly what alcohol does to people.

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/alcohol-and-brain-overview#:~:text=Alcohol interferes with the brain's,injuries and other negative outcomes.

Alcohol interferes with the brain’s communication pathways and can affect the way the brain looks and works. Alcohol makes it harder for the brain areas controlling balance, memory, speech, and judgment to do their jobs, resulting in a higher likelihood of injuries and other negative outcomes. 

I think blaming alcohol is letting the dude who drank it and get in his car and kill 2 people, I think it’s giving him an excuse and I don’t think that’s right at all. He chose to drink. He chose to drive. It’s not the alcohol. It’s the person. 

No one is trying to let him off the hook.   Of course he chose to drink and drive, and that was a really bad decision, and that is 100% on him.   But it is also true that is very very likely that him drinking impaired his judgement and how he was driving.

17 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I think blaming alcohol is letting the dude who drank it and get in his car and kill 2 people, I think it’s giving him an excuse and I don’t think that’s right at all. He chose to drink. He chose to drive. It’s not the alcohol. It’s the person. 

Are you trying to justify anyone who drinks and drives?  Yikes!    

57 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Sure. I’ll agree with that. Ppl think they are always fine. 5 or 6. 11 or 12. 2 or 3.  I had a friend who hit the side of chief Peguis bridge when drunk. We were driving behind him. He had 3 beers. His hubcap came off and we almost cranked it. Scary ****. But he was also diabetic so other factors at play there. Low blood sugar levels. Unfortunately my friend passed away in 2011. 

Why would you let your friend drink and drive?  

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Sure. I’ll agree with that. Ppl think they are always fine. 5 or 6. 11 or 12. 2 or 3.  

Reminds me of that drunk Bombers fan who had consumed 20 beers before and during the game then took a header down the stairs in the north end. Blamed his death on the lack of railings the wife said.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Are you trying to justify anyone who drinks and drives?  Yikes!    

Why would you let your friend drink and drive?  

Because I can tell ppl no until I’m blue in the face but it’s up to them to listen. Unlike you tho there was a point where me and my friends were young and stupid and nobody is justifying drinking and driving. Are you always this perfect. U have never done nothing wrong ? Ever? 

gimme a break really. Just over reacting much. Why do you think I was in the car behind him? Cuz that driver was sober. We all told him no. We can come get the car tomorrow. He didn’t listen. I can’t make ppl do things they don’t want to do. Hell his gf at the time told him no and came with us even. He didn’t listen. 

I had the same core group of friends from kindergarten to age 25. Then I decided to grow up. Some decided not to. It’s really that simple there. The ones who grew up are still here today. We have kids and families. The ones who didn’t are 6 feet under. 

I stopped hanging out with some of my old friends at age 25 because of the decisions they were making. I didn’t want to be a statistic.  Some of them didn’t give a **** about you me their gfs or even families who if I’m being honest turned a blind eye to their stupidity 

you work for the police don’t you? Why aren’t they out in bar parking lots checking people? 

I don’t drink anymore. Haven’t besides wine at weddings in 13 years really. At 25 I stopped being dumb and grew up. But none of my friends ever killed anyone. That I know of. 

Edited by Goalie

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

Because I can tell ppl no until I’m blue in the face but it’s up to them to listen. Unlike you tho there was a point where me and my friends were young and stupid and nobody is justifying drinking and driving. Are you always this perfect. U have never done nothing wrong ? Ever? 

gimme a break really. Just over reacting much. Why do you think I was in the car behind him? Cuz that driver was sober. We all told him no. We can come get the car tomorrow. He didn’t listen. I can’t make ppl do things they don’t want to do. Hell his gf at the time told him no and came with us even. He didn’t listen. 

I had the same core group of friends from kindergarten to age 25. Then I decided to grow up. Some decided not to. It’s really that simple there. The ones who grew up are still here today. We have kids and families. The ones who didn’t are 6 feet under. 

I stopped hanging out with some of my old friends at age 25 because of the decisions they were making. I didn’t want to be a statistic.  Some of them didn’t give a **** about you me their gfs or even families who if I’m being honest turned a blind eye to their stupidity 

you work for the police don’t you? Why aren’t they out in bar parking lots checking people? 

I don’t drink anymore. Haven’t besides wine at weddings in 13 years really. At 25 I stopped being dumb and grew up. But none of my friends ever killed anyone. That I know of. 

Soooooo you do agree that drinking and driving is bad then even if a veteran drinker can handle 3 - 5 beers then?    Because you sounded like you were justifying earlier.  

12 hours ago, Goalie said:

I’ve never seen a dude attempt to pass cars on the shoulder of the road. To me that’s more than just the alcohol making you do that. That’s just stupid. I don’t know what this Higgins dude was thinking honestly. 

Higgins entered the southbound lanes to pass the slower-moving sedan and SUV. He then tried to re-enter the northbound lanes when the SUV in front of him moved to the middle of the roadway, splitting the north and south lanes, to safely pass the Gaudreau brothers traveling north on the right side of the roadway. 

Higgins then tried to pass the SUV on the right and struck the Gaudreaus from behind, according to an incident report.

that’s just stupidity. 

You haven't driven a school bus like I did. School buses piss drivers off. They do stupid & crazy things that are dangerous not to be caught behind one. Cars & pickups do dumb things all the time. Vehicles passing me on the shoulder when I had a bus full of kids on the highway happened too many times.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

20 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You haven't driven a school bus like I did. School buses piss drivers off. They do stupid & crazy things that are dangerous not to be caught behind one. Cars & pickups do dumb things all the time. Vehicles passing me on the shoulder when I had a bus full of kids on the highway happened too many times.

In the end people do dumb ****. Unfortunately this time there were severe and tragic consequences. Humboldt and the older people near Carberry perished needlessly as well. Not sure what we as a society can really do. 

9 minutes ago, Goalie said:

In the end people do dumb ****. Unfortunately this time there were severe and tragic consequences. Humboldt and the older people near Carberry perished needlessly as well. Not sure what we as a society can really do. 

Younger generations aren’t getting their drivers license at the same rate as older generations did. 

Autonomous cars will become a standard within the next 10 years.  Then add another 10 for older cars to age out.  

Then the lawsuits will be on the AI when it needs to make an impossible decision.