3 stars plus hh first W!

22 minutes ago, Booch said:

I'd take Rod Black over Suitor and rod Smith as it is now...I'd also prefer him in Kate's spot too...tho that girl last night would be excellent. 

Ha. Me too with Suitor. 
He is so terrible that even Roddy looks like a better option.
Although, if he was back on the air, it would probably take me less than a quarter to retract. 

Give me laura, paul, naylor/ferguson, blm/matty and maybe another coach type on the panel. 

Lapo matty and blm go back and forth between the panel and colour and scianitti on pbp. Give Sanchez a shot on colour as well. 

it’s not a perfect unit, but it’d be drastically better than what we’ve had for a long time. 
also who ever direct camera work this year / last year replaced with any one who has a clue how to put sports on tv. 

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Give me laura, paul, naylor/ferguson, blm/matty and maybe another coach type on the panel. 

Lapo matty and blm go back and forth between the panel and colour and scianitti on pbp. Give Sanchez a shot on colour as well. 

it’s not a perfect unit, but it’d be drastically better than what we’ve had for a long time. 
also who ever direct camera work this year / last year replaced with any one who has a clue how to put sports on tv. 

That and not putting what should be pregame  show fluff segments in the middle of the actual game. 

I actually like Rod Smith as a pbp guy.  He had a great call on Jefferson's strip sack against Ottawa.

Him and Forde are my favorite pair right now. 

Agree that Suitor needs to be done and that Lapo needs a promotion to the booth. 

What do people think of Marshall Ferguson as a pbp guy?  He's decent to listen to and doesn't speak in endless tired cliches. I think he's pretty good. 

Edited by johnzo

13 minutes ago, johnzo said:

What do people think of Marshall Ferguson as a pbp guy?  He's decent to listen to and doesn't speak in endless tired cliches. I think he's pretty good. 

Ehhhhhhhhhhh......

He's not a BAD PBP guy per se..... He's just very very raw. I also find his Ontario accent very grating. ABOUT becomes A-BAY-OAT.... it's painful at times. But they need younger guys. Him, Nielsen and eventually DT will be the next generation around for a long time on TSN.

11 hours ago, johnzo said:

I actually like Rod Smith as a pbp guy.  He had a great call on Jefferson's strip sack against Ottawa.

Him and Forde are my favorite pair right now. 

Agree that Suitor needs to be done and that Lapo needs a promotion to the booth. 

Granted, I despise Rod Smith and Dustin Neilson as announcers. I think Ferguson is the best PBP guy out of the 3 on TSN by a country mile. 

His knowledge of the game and players is top notch. His delivery is a bit drier, in a good way. It’s refreshing to have a pbp announcer who isn’t a highlight desk guy out of his element  (Smith) or shrieking like an 8 year old (Nielson- the worst in my lifetime imo and that’s including Rod Black) 

they’re kind of doing regional announce teams now. It’s usually Nielson and Suitor  for the west games and Marshall and Forde out east. They give Rod Smith the showcase game still. 

DT is miles better than Smith or Nielson, and more polished than Ferguson. I’m surprised he wasn’t offered a job already.  

It’s a shame Cuthbert wanted to do hockey so badly. I’m sure if TSN had NHL games, we’d still have CC doing the Grey cup game at a minimum. 

Next year DT probably replaces Smith if he wants to. In a perfect world they hire DT, retire Smith, put Nielson on sportscenter where he can yell his little catchphrase and just have 2 main announce teams.
DT/Lapo, Ferguson/Forde. Use Rod Smith sparingly with Matty or Davis Sanchez if he’d do it.
No more Suitor, no more Neilson. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Granted, I despise Rod Smith and Dustin Neilson as announcers. I think Ferguson is the best PBP guy out of the 3 on TSN by a country mile. 

His knowledge of the game and players is top notch. His delivery is a bit drier, in a good way. It’s refreshing to have a pbp announcer who isn’t a highlight desk guy out of his element  (Smith) or shrieking like an 8 year old (Nielson- the worst in my lifetime imo and that’s including Rod Black) 

they’re kind of doing regional announce teams now. It’s usually Nielson and Suitor  for the west games and Marshall and Forde out east. They give Rod Smith the showcase game still. 

DT is miles better than Smith or Nielson, and more polished than Ferguson. I’m surprised he wasn’t offered a job already.  

It’s a shame Cuthbert wanted to do hockey so badly. I’m sure if TSN had NHL games, we’d still have CC doing the Grey cup game at a minimum. 

Next year DT probably replaces Smith if he wants to. In a perfect world they hire DT, retire Smith, put Nielson on sportscenter where he can yell his little catchphrase and just have 2 main announce teams.
DT/Lapo, Ferguson/Forde. Use Rod Smith sparingly with Matty or Davis Sanchez if he’d do it.
No more Suitor, no more Neilson. 

It's funny how subjective this stuff is. For example everyone seems to love Gord Miller in hockey broadcasts but I can't stand the way his voice makes him sound incredulous about even the most mundane plays.

1 minute ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

It's funny how subjective this stuff is. For example everyone seems to love Gord Miller in hockey broadcasts but I can't stand the way his voice makes him sound incredulous about even the most mundane plays.

Gord Miller is a better CFL PBP than NHL.... Wish he was still on the beat.

1 minute ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Thank you for describing exactly why I can’t rate Gord Miller as top-tier. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Yeah Miller is good, only problem he has is he is too chatty as the pbp guy but he can call a good game.

On 2024-07-08 at 5:26 AM, JohnnyAbonny said:

Granted, I despise Rod Smith and Dustin Neilson as announcers.

There was a ludicrous game in the CFL last year, one of those nutty CFL games where two teams take turns shooting themselves in the foot.  I think there were three straight turnovers and I think two of them came on one play ... something like an interception and a long runback followed by a fumble and a long run-runback that meant that the line of scrimmage moved by a net two or three yards.

Neilson wasn't calling it but I kind of wish he was because if any sequence called for his trademark "WHAT IS HAPPENING?" it was that one.  Ridiculous game demands ridiculous call. 

On 2024-07-08 at 7:23 AM, Noeller said:

like Negatron says, it's so subjective!  To me, Gord Miller sounds like a teenager whose voice is not quiiiiite finished yet.

Edited by johnzo