Judgement & Humility: Grant, Bailey & Hanson

What is the real NUB  of the problem this year? Does it go back to January? I am a student of leadership and I just wanted to say what I am feeling.

Great leaders are best because they call upon the talents of the people around them. They are not impressed with their own skills. In fact, the moment you start reading your own press clippings you are in trouble.

We have run into a one-man rule situation with our top dog, Michael O'Shea. When he starts to think his judgement is better than everyone around him, we start to see major mistakes made. One-man rule is dominated by ego and all its foibles. It also takes away the power of the best people on the team. I am sure our coordinators and our positional coaches are suffering from a high-level of frustration.

Back at the start of this calendar year we decided that we didn't need Grant,  Bailey & Hanson.

Grant has been a difference maker as long as he has been here. Somebody decided he was injury prone because we used him to run him up the gut on too many running plays. Watching the game between the Als & Argos, we saw Grant to be their key in the victory. Grant supplies constantly better field position; plus his big plays completely turn games around as it did Thursday. But we decided we didn't want him at his premium price (perhaps $135 K).

Bailey has been our best blocking receiver for years, greatly contributing to our running game and protection schemes. Hiss absence is one of the biggest reasons our blocking looks so questionable. He is Toronto's leading receiver this year. We refused to even make an offer to him. What if he was on our club this year? Last year we signed him as an afterthought. Who was the mastermind on this decision?

Hanson looked fantastic on special teams as he always does. To what lengths did we go to re-sign him. Did we think promoting Miller to special teams coordinator would be enough without the appropriate personnel?

So Grant Bailey and Hanson were our gift to Toronto. One-man rule apparently Dictates on the Bombers. I get a little nauseated as I think about it.

Cal Murphy hated rookies too but at least he managed to pick up a lot of good veterans from other teams, as I recall.

Press clippings are an enemy. Lowliness brings everyone's talent into play. It also overwrites judgement so that newcomers have a chance to outshine the veterans.

I was very impressed with the people we brought in to Camp. Now I'm wondering where they all went. I am glad we brought Lucky back but it smacks of desperation.

Good thing our defence seems to be clicking but it could be dominant, IF, our personnel judgement was a little better.

Edited by BigBlue

At times we have had over $1 million on the IR, short-term and long-term:

Collaros, Schoen, Lawler, Olivera, Lawson, Parker, Wheatfall,  at times

also Fox, Garbutt, Haba, Hallett, Kelly, Sampson

thats a lot

& a big reason we can look like bums

2 hours ago, BigBlue said:

I was very impressed with the people we brought in to Camp. Now I'm wondering where they all went. I am glad we brought Lucky back but it smacks of desperation.

You, me and a lot of other people wonder where they went....Was our talent level that good that we sent them all packing.....Other than our draft pics it's mostly a big nada year

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

You, me and a lot of other people wonder where they went....Was our talent level that good that we sent them all packing.....Other than our draft pics it's mostly a big nada year

TBF,  we are only 5 weeks on and plagued with pretty significant injuries. 

I am going to wait until week 12 to see where we are at and see if there is some quality new talent.

14 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

TBF,  we are only 5 weeks on and plagued with pretty significant injuries. 

I am going to wait until week 12 to see where we are at and see if there is some quality new talent.

It's always "the season doesn't start until Labour Day", but you also don't want to be out of it by then...

On 2024-07-12 at 9:27 PM, Tracker said:

There is a saying that you cannot win the season at the beginning, but you can definitely lose it.

The Riders have perfected both methods since 2014 😁

On 2024-07-12 at 3:45 PM, bustamente said:

Sheed is the leading receiver with the Argos this year and Grant still has the moves, two players this team could use. 

The only reason we would need sheed now is the injury rash. If healthy our wr core of schoen Lawler Demski woli plus a rotation of lord Keric and Wilson plus clericius. 
 If any thing in retrospect moving on from Lawler and keeping shred might’ve been prudent, but you can’t operate in retrospect. 
 Grant still has it, but isn’t the entirety of what he used to be. Smith is giving us 25 and 10 ish on kr and pr with tons of upside and miles left on him for a rookie min deal. 

Hansen is a great guy and teams player. But our teams has been very good, meanwhile Hansen hasn’t been able to stay healthy and is a premium global salary. He’d be nice for sure but our teams guys plus hubert at de is more than sufficient. And gives us youth upside and cost savings. 

You can finger wave a lot of moves in the off season. These 3 aren’t strong cases. 

I still don't know the basis for our decision-making.

We are paying top-end dollar for our stars and yet too many of them are on the IR///

I don't think that's just luck.... The CFL draft has turned up okay for us this year and that's helping… However, we are not lining up emerging American talent especially at the line positions. Eventually that's going to bite us or else we will become very good at making patchwork quilts…

It takes a little courage to let import linemen develop, right?

7 hours ago, BigBlue said:

I still don't know the basis for our decision-making.

We are paying top-end dollar for our stars and yet too many of them are on the IR///

I don't think that's just luck.... The CFL draft has turned up okay for us this year and that's helping… However, we are not lining up emerging American talent especially at the line positions. Eventually that's going to bite us or else we will become very good at making patchwork quilts…

It takes a little courage to let import linemen develop, right?

Adams is 3rd in the league in sacks leading us, and woods is tied for our lead in Tfl having been our best dl this year. 
 Wallace was our best ol in pre season and has shown well so far. Or dl is also beat up, and Dobson has been much improved the past few games as well. 

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Adams is 3rd in the league in sacks leading us, and woods is tied for our lead in Tfl having been our best dl this year. 
 Wallace was our best ol in pre season and has shown well so far. Or dl is also beat up, and Dobson has been much improved the past few games as well. 

and yet they get half the reps of Jake...who we just run out there play after [play after play for no apparent reason...half the time he so bagged he does nothing other than get out of his stance and engage the center/guard and is nuetralized

2 hours ago, Booch said:

and yet they get half the reps of Jake...who we just run out there play after [play after play for no apparent reason...half the time he so bagged he does nothing other than get out of his stance and engage the center/guard and is nuetralized

Yeeep. Snafu around here. Remember beaudreaus wonky ass cover scheme last year?  Mos roster management this year seems a lot like that. My only possible hope is that he’s being given enough rope to hang him self this year and that change will come, in some form, eventually.  

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Yeeep. Snafu around here. Remember beaudreaus wonky ass cover scheme last year?  Mos roster management this year seems a lot like that. My only possible hope is that he’s being given enough rope to hang him self this year and that change will come, in some form, eventually.  

You realize they are on a winning streak, right?

giphy.webp