3 stars plus hh game of the year

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Kramdi would be fine if we needed that final starting Canadian spot... but as is we've got plenty of "fine" players to fill that role and still use 3 of them. And by that I mean we have 3 or 4 "fine" Canadians taking starting spots rather than just using one of them

Yeah there’s an arrogance from O’Shea for sure where it’s like “see we can start ten plus Canadians” but it’s really we’re winning despite that. Kramdi is a good rotational piece but again he’s a victim of being asked to do too much. No one would have any issues with him or many of the Canadian players if they were planning on the role that they should be playing in. 

3 hours ago, bb1 said:

MOS definitely has a soft spot and uber patience with CDN players and young players in general,i believe that is his strength and weakness. He believes in what he does and does not waiver. I think you put any great coach though in that  category.

This Ed Tait article explains O'Shea's infatuation with Kramdi, he basically embodies everything O'Shea espouses about selflessness and playing for others.  It's the same qualities that landed the Navy Seal a starting role last season, O'Shea  often chooses character and intelligence over raw talent, he values these qualities as important components in building a strong team, which is the basis of his culture. 

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/07/10/48-hour-primer-cal-at-wpg/

12 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

This Ed Tait article explains O'Shea's infatuation with Kramdi, he basically embodies everything O'Shea espouses about selflessness and playing for others.  It's the same qualities that landed the Navy Seal a starting role last season, O'Shea  often chooses character and intelligence over raw talent, he values these qualities as important components in building a strong team, which is the basis of his culture. 

You find players that have both, it's not an either or.

12 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

should not all the players have this?

Just now, HardCoreBlue said:

You find players that have both, it's not an either or.

you find and use the players who are the best...and not a cancer, or selfish to the point it hurts the team....plain and simple.....and we dont do that ....and its very apparent with some of our choices not being the best "football" players

7 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

You'd think so but all we have to do is look at Saskatchewan the last several years to see that character and selflessness aren't exactly integral traits for everyone.

To a large extent that stuff is discipline from the coaching staff. Saskatchewans lack of discipline has been systemic from the top down. 

More Kramdi bits, he doesn't sound like the typical player.

Being resilient is one thing, but his football I.Q. is the biggest reason why the son of Algerian immigrants has been able to climb the ladder and not only start but excel at one of the most complicated positions on the field.

It goes back to his time at the U Sports level when he played under head coach Danny Maciocia — the current general manager of the Alouettes.

Every day, Maciocia would call up a handful of defensive players to the whiteboard at the front of the room and ask them to break down a specific play.

Most could tell you what their position group should be doing, but all 12 players? Not a chance — unless it was Kramdi being asked.

On one occasion, Maciocia went out of his way to test Kramdi with a complicated formation.

He still managed to knock it out of the park.

“That will always have a lasting effect on me, just the way he went up to the board, took charge, and explained it in detail. I remember vividly that people in that meeting room stood up and gave him a standing ovation,” said Maciocia.

“It was really something that you typically don’t see, even at this level, this level we’re experiencing here this week.”

Als safety Marc-Antoine Dequoy — the East Division’s nominee for Most Outstanding Canadian — played for the Montreal Carabins alongside Kramdi and had a similar take on his former teammate.

“I’m always joking with him that when he chooses to retire that he’s going to be a coach or a scout, or a GM someday. He’s really, really into it and he loves it and he’s good at it. He’s got a great football eye. Watch for it, you’ll probably talk to him one day as a coach,” said Dequoy.

“Let’s say you put in the tape from another Grey Cup or something. I mean, at one point, you’re going to look at your phone, but he’s always dialed in on the tape. He’s interested and wants to see what’s going to happen. There’s that curiosity in him that makes him great.”

Bombers safety Brandon Alexander saw that from Kramdi from Day 1.“He’s one of the smartest guys I’ve been around, and I think he’s definitely one of the most underrated football players in the CFL. I’ve always advocated to find a way to put Redha on the field — for two years now, to be honest with you. Now that he has that chance, I’m excited for him, I’m happy for him,” said Alexander.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/sports-editors-picks/2023/11/15/kramdis-on-field-success-brings-joy-to-his-grieving-family

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

More Kramdi bits, he doesn't sound like the typical player.

Being resilient is one thing, but his football I.Q. is the biggest reason why the son of Algerian immigrants has been able to climb the ladder and not only start but excel at one of the most complicated positions on the field.

It goes back to his time at the U Sports level when he played under head coach Danny Maciocia — the current general manager of the Alouettes.

Every day, Maciocia would call up a handful of defensive players to the whiteboard at the front of the room and ask them to break down a specific play.

Most could tell you what their position group should be doing, but all 12 players? Not a chance — unless it was Kramdi being asked.

On one occasion, Maciocia went out of his way to test Kramdi with a complicated formation.

He still managed to knock it out of the park.

“That will always have a lasting effect on me, just the way he went up to the board, took charge, and explained it in detail. I remember vividly that people in that meeting room stood up and gave him a standing ovation,” said Maciocia.

“It was really something that you typically don’t see, even at this level, this level we’re experiencing here this week.”

Als safety Marc-Antoine Dequoy — the East Division’s nominee for Most Outstanding Canadian — played for the Montreal Carabins alongside Kramdi and had a similar take on his former teammate.

“I’m always joking with him that when he chooses to retire that he’s going to be a coach or a scout, or a GM someday. He’s really, really into it and he loves it and he’s good at it. He’s got a great football eye. Watch for it, you’ll probably talk to him one day as a coach,” said Dequoy.

“Let’s say you put in the tape from another Grey Cup or something. I mean, at one point, you’re going to look at your phone, but he’s always dialed in on the tape. He’s interested and wants to see what’s going to happen. There’s that curiosity in him that makes him great.”

Bombers safety Brandon Alexander saw that from Kramdi from Day 1.“He’s one of the smartest guys I’ve been around, and I think he’s definitely one of the most underrated football players in the CFL. I’ve always advocated to find a way to put Redha on the field — for two years now, to be honest with you. Now that he has that chance, I’m excited for him, I’m happy for him,” said Alexander.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/sports-editors-picks/2023/11/15/kramdis-on-field-success-brings-joy-to-his-grieving-family

It does make sense to an extent. Kramdi always seems to be in the right spot, im just not sure he’s fast and athletic enough to be great.

Just now, Arnold_Palmer said:

It does make sense to an extent. Kramdi always seems to be in the right spot, im just not sure he’s fast and athletic enough to be great.

smarts mean diddly do if you physically cant translate it to be an impact...a second too late...or in the wrong spot doesnt cut it....Maybe he should coach then..as they say...those who cant play coach

If he so smart he shouldn't still be making mental gaffs out there...

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

smarts mean diddly do if you physically cant translate it to be an impact...a second too late...or in the wrong spot doesnt cut it....Maybe he should coach then..as they say...those who cant play coach

giphy.webp

When all else fails, pull out all stops.

30 minutes ago, Booch said:

There has been so much chaos and incompetence on defence that it has to be often difficult to assess how well the good players are playing. It seems to me that on defence team cohesion and execution is more critical than on offence.

10 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There has been so much chaos and incompetence on defence that it has to be often difficult to assess how well the good players are playing. It seems to me that on defence team cohesion and execution is more critical than on offence.

That's what it looked like across the league this weekend, receivers left wide open rambling for huge gains.

53 minutes ago, Booch said:

Great coaches are seldom former great players. Most are guys like dinwiddie who didn’t pan out, had all the mental tools but not the physical ones. 
 Great players often get the first shot at coaching but seldom pan out. Even mos here has always struggled with roster management and coming from a teams co spot has never owned an aspect of the playbook like plop or hall etc. he’s always succeeded with former hcs and decorated cos. He’s like a baseball bench boss more than a typical football hc. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Great coaches are seldom former great players. Most are guys like dinwiddie who didn’t pan out, had all the mental tools but not the physical ones. 
 Great players often get the first shot at coaching but seldom pan out. Even mos here has always struggled with roster management and coming from a teams co spot has never owned an aspect of the playbook like plop or hall etc. he’s always succeeded with former hcs and decorated cos. He’s like a baseball bench boss more than a typical football hc. 

Definitely, O'Shea is one of the few HC's that rarely discusses strategic issues on the field because he's not involved in the minutiae of decision making, he oversees but adds little.  He's always going on about the mental state of the team and the philosophical ramifications of events around the team and how they affect the players emotionally.  Really noticed that change the last two years.

Edited by Fatty Liver

7 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Definitely, O'Shea is one of the few HC's that rarely discusses strategic issues on the field because he's not involved in the minutiae of decision making, he oversees but adds little.  He's always going on about the mental state of the team and the philosophical ramifications of events around the team and how they affect the players emotionally.

It’s a strange dynamic. I can’t recall seeing that for the life of me. Every hc I’ve known has been either an O guy or a D guy that had a big hand in running that side of the team. Bobby dyce is the closest guy but he’s been both a passing game coach, oc and sts co up here. And he’s done a bunch of ni scouting with us back in the day. He’s more of a guy who has had his hand in many pies rather than a guy with too few. 

It used to be that most hcs were D guys up here. And the qb called the plays, the oc was a bit lower in power back then. Today’s game is run by ocs much more than ever before. Even out side of the cfl, ocs are generally the top candidate for hc jobs. 

Obviously it can work, and it has here. Sustainability is tough to say as all coaching is on a short half life. Idk if this is going to become more prominent, like player coaches have, or if this will be an aberration. If I was looking to build a coaching staff though, I’d build around an offensive mind.  

Safety - Holm  Hallett  Kelly  

DB - Bonds. Nichols. Bridges.Ford. Griffen. 

DL. Willy. Adams. Lawson. Habba. Garbutt Fox Hubert.  Really Lawson doesn’t even have to start. 

LB. Cole. Wilson. Parker. Ayers. Kramdi. Cadawallader. Weitz. Other cdn 

On 2024-07-13 at 8:18 AM, SectionKBlackout said:

For the love of God, can we get someone to help Willie. That poor bastard is killing himself out there while we trot out an 8th round draft pick and a sumo wrestler.

That would be funny if it wasn't so sad. 

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

Kramdi should have a bit of a leash , but I'd hope the team would not settle with him and would be on the lookout for an upgrade.

If anything Kramdi is reliable enough to provide the ratio flexibility to do something crazy like an all import D-line... which we will never do, for some reason...