SNF REDBLACKS @ ELKS GDT

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Nah, he's always been a frustratingly inconsistent FG kicker, if he wasn't he'd still be in Mtl.

Is he really though?

Would you say the same about Castillo? They came into the league the same year and they have a similar career average (83.5% for Bede & 86.6% for Castillo).  Bede did have a terrible 2nd year (52.4%) which brings his career average down but overall I'd say he's been fairly consistent (maybe more so than Castillo). Look at their last 5 season averages and tell me who has been more consistent:

Bede: 85.0% (Mtl), 88.6% (Mtl), 84.8 (Tor), 78.2 (Tor), 94.9 (Tor).

Castillo: 85.3% (Ham), 91.1 (BC), 77.8 (Wpg), 84.1 (Edm), 90.2 (Wpg).

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Is he really though?

Would you say the same about Castillo? They came into the league the same year and they have a similar career average (83.5% for Bede & 86.6% for Castillo).  Bede did have a terrible 2nd year (52.4%) which brings his career average down but overall I'd say he's been fairly consistent (maybe more so than Castillo). Look at their last 5 season averages and tell me who has been more consistent:

Maybe statistically similar but careerwise Castillo has been more consistent and hasn't had as many serious misses as Bede leading directly to losing games.  He's lost his job numerous times, been traded and bounced between punting and kicking, at times he's also struggled with extra point consistency.  With his physical tools he maybe should have stuck to punting and kickoffs.

Edited by Fatty Liver

11 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Maybe statistically similar but careerwise Castillo has been more consistent and hasn't had as many serious misses as Bede leading directly to losing games.  He's lost his job numerous times, been traded and bounced between punting and kicking, at times he's also struggled with extra point consistency.  With his physical tools he maybe should have stuck to punting and kickoffs.

Yes, if you ignore the statistics and just focus on hyperbole, Castillo has been much better than Bede, who has never lost his job and who has not bounced around. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yes, if you ignore the statistics and just focus on hyperbole, Castillo has been much better than Bede, who has never lost his job and who has not bounced around. 

Castillo has moved around a lot but he was usually chasing dollars, he hasn't been cut often based on poor performance.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Is he really though?

Actually surprised they are that similar statswise. I think it’s because Bede tends to be way off when he misses. He has such a big leg that when is hits it wrong the ball sails way off target. 

3 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

So facts don't matter I guess?

Bede - 3 teams & traded once.  Career extra point percentage: 92.5 (248 of 268).  The most he missed in one season was 6 - in his rookie year.

Castillo - 5 teams (included Winnipeg 3 times but does not include Ottawa where he signed twice but never played a game). Career extra point percentage: 91% (152 of 167). The most he missed in one season was 5 - last year for us.

3 hours ago, blue85gold said:

Actually surprised they are that similar statswise. I think it’s because Bede tends to be way off when he misses. He has such a big leg that when is hits it wrong the ball sails way off target. 

I think it's partly because even though they both came in to the league in 2015, Bede has kicked way more than Castillo so we've seen him miss much more (305 FG attempts vs 216 FG attempts & 268 converts attempted vs 167).  For me at least, the misses stick in my head more because I expect the kicker to make it and when they don't, it's notable. The only time I really remember the ones they make is if it's a game-winner or a really long attempt.

Edited by bigg jay

Just now, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Man I though the Elks would never fire Jones. Glad he’s out of this league again and let’s hope he doesn’t return. 

I would think this be last we see of him

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

So facts don't matter I guess?

Bede - 3 teams & traded zero times.  Career extra point percentage: 92.5 (248 of 268).  The most he missed in one season was 6 - in his rookie year.

Castillo - 5 teams (included Winnipeg 3 times but does not include Ottawa where he signed twice but never played a game). Career extra point percentage: 91% (152 of 167). The most he missed in one season was 5 - last year for us.

I think it's partly because even though they both came in to the league in 2015, Bede has kicked way more than Castillo so we've seen him miss much more (305 FG attempts vs 216 FG attempts & 268 converts attempted vs 167).  For me at least, the misses stick in my head more because I expect the kicker to make it and when they don't, it's notable. The only time I really remember the ones they make is if it's a game-winner or a really long attempt.

I don't get your point, you want to trade Castillo for Bede or think they're operating on the same level?  Which nut cracks under pressure?

3 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I don't get your point, you want to trade Castillo for Bede or think they're operating on the same level?  Which nut cracks under pressure?

The point is Bede is not the inconsistent, much traded kicker you are portraying him to be. 

He was the most accurate kicker in the league last season while doing all three jobs. I'm a fan of Castillo but would have zero problems with Bede, if for no other reason than we'd get similar production and we'd be able to ditch Sheahan.

18 hours ago, bigg jay said:

The point is Bede is not the inconsistent, much traded kicker you are portraying him to be. 

He was the most accurate kicker in the league last season while doing all three jobs. I'm a fan of Castillo but would have zero problems with Bede, if for no other reason than we'd get similar production and we'd be able to ditch Sheahan.

Bede filled in at punter but his inconsistency there has made him a liability in that role.  Worst net on punts and kickoffs his whole career.

Yes, huge leg.  Had a great FG year in 2023.  Year before he was under 80%.  Inconsistent.

He missed a 31 yard FG in that Ottawa game too.  2 points that would have made a difference at 0:00.