GDT - Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs. Saskatchewan Roughriders - Tussle at the Toilet Bowl

A couple of thoughts heading into the game tonight:

• People may want to say "Saskatchewan isn't as good as their record .. " That's bullshit in my mind.  You are what your record says you are.  Good teams go out and perform regardless of circumstance, don't play down to opponents and win the games they should win.  This will not be an easy contest by any stretch of the imagination.
  • This will be the strongest defensive line we've put out all season.  That, coupled with the injuries Saskatchewan is facing, should hopefully mean we are making Patterson very uncomfortable and forcing him into bad decisions.  Capitalizing on those bad decisions will be key.  When we have an opponent on the mat, we need to keep them there.
  • Can our offensive line give Zach a chance in back to back weeks?  It's no coincidence that Collaros had his best game of the season last week as he enjoyed a pretty clean pocket (for the most part).  That said, I don't have a lot of faith that that group, as a whole, that it's turned the corner.
  • Am I the only one who hates seeing Zach lock onto one receiver for the course of a game?  I know that his reads make this a bit of a moot point but last week felt pretty emblematic of Collaros's play over the last year and a bit - locking on to a single receiver and forcing it.
  • Kind of an opposing thought to the one above.  I don't expect a monster game from Brady tonight so Zach has to be efficient with the ball in his hands.  Make your read, get the ball out quickly and take what's there. 
  • I said a couple weeks ago our offense looks so much better when we go tempo - I want to see more of it.
  • Smith has been steady but unspectacular since coming onto the roster (was a tremendous upgrade over Mitchell though).  Will see if Case has that little something "extra" the return team needs.
  • Sheahan ..... why?  Week after week after week I continue to ask myself "Why is he here?"  I just don't get it.

1 hour ago, voodoochylde said:

• People may want to say "Saskatchewan isn't as good as their record .. " That's bullshit in my mind.  You are what your record says you are.  Good teams go out and perform regardless of circumstance, don't play down to opponents and win the games they should win.  This will not be an easy contest by any stretch of the imagination.
  • This will be the strongest defensive line we've put out all season.  That, coupled with the injuries Saskatchewan is facing, should hopefully mean we are making Patterson very uncomfortable and forcing him into bad decisions.  Capitalizing on those bad decisions will be key.  When we have an opponent on the mat, we need to keep them there.
  •  

You’re assuming Garbutt can play.  We have no idea really until tonight.  

Best thing a guy can do here is get injured and let the hype build.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

You’re assuming Garbutt can play.  We have no idea really until tonight.  

Best thing a guy can do here is get injured and let the hype build.

He looked really good in preseason and I'm optimistic that some of that carries over to tonight .. at a minimum, he'll be no worse than Hubert.

In a shockingly bold strategy, Ouellette is looking to take advantage of Biggie. 

“They’re always thinking pass rush first, that’s what their d-line is known for… And it’s always been (linebacker Adam Bighill’s) job to fix their mistakes. So, if I can play a little game with Biggie and get him in the wrong spots and all that, it should be a pretty good game.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2024/07/18/sayles-not-so-sassy-these-days

1 hour ago, voodoochylde said:

He looked really good in preseason and I'm optimistic that some of that carries over to tonight .. at a minimum, he'll be no worse than Hubert.

He was good in the one game he played last year too.

But getting to the main point of tonight..  **** Saskatchewan and their stupid fans so so so much.

If we put Woods in for Thomas, Cole in for Kramdi, and Jones in for Bighill, this roster would be absolutely unstoppable. We've got the pieces, and we're just a few tweaks away from dominating the field. We're so close to the optimal lineup, it's almost painful to watch.

This game worries me for a few reasons....ssk defense has a knack for creating turnovers....fumbles/int haven't been going in our favour as often as I'd like. 

Ssk offense could play directly into our defenses weakness, hard running up the middle and a young qb who can make plays with his legs (see Crum/Ott game). 

Bombers O needs to stay on the field and control the ball as long as possible.

3 hours ago, voodoochylde said:

• Can our offensive line give Zach a chance in back to back weeks?  It's no coincidence that Collaros had his best game of the season last week as he enjoyed a pretty clean pocket (for the most part).  That said, I don't have a lot of faith that that group, as a whole, that it's turned the corner.
  • Am I the only one who hates seeing Zach lock onto one receiver for the course of a game?  I know that his reads make this a bit of a moot point but last week felt pretty emblematic of Collaros's play over the last year and a bit - locking on to a single receiver and forcing it

If you check out the Lapo breakdown of Pokey's big game, you'll see that Zach wasn't force feeding him, he was going where his reads told him to go and that was to Pokey.  He was the blitz read several times and not the first read several times.

2 minutes ago, johnzo said:

If you check out the Lapo breakdown of Pokey's big game, you'll see that Zach wasn't force feeding him, he was going where his reads told him to go and that was to Pokey.  He was the blitz read several times and not the first read several times.

Just keep doing this ZC please and thank you.

8 minutes ago, johnzo said:

And it’s why I explicitly said it was where his reads were taking him.

22 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah last game was really the first one collaros was making a concerted effort to get the ball out quickly. That's what they gotta do until the OL settles down.

And by settles down you mean changes are made?

Zach Collaros,

It’s time to let it rip and sling it deep today! Enough with the safe plays, go big or go home. We need you to throw those bombs like your life depends on it, like it's 2019 again. Air it out, and let’s blow this game wide open! Imagine holding back now against the watermelon heads. This season has been like having a sports car and never taking it past 30kph. Let’s see those deep throws and make it a game to remember finally.