GDT - Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs. Saskatchewan Roughriders - Tussle at the Toilet Bowl

The most concerning part of being 2-5 isn’t the record itself but it’s actually the fact that it’s due to so much bad play from our veterans. I can get behind a team that’s 2-5 because they’re young, making mistakes and figuring it out and getting better but when it’s not your young players making mistakes but your players that are all on the wrong side of 30 it’s quite discouraging, what’s even worse is I truly don’t think O’Shea sees an issue with his vets. The amount of rope these guys get compared to some of the young players is incredible. It really rubbed me the wrong way how they treated Chris Smith but guys like Collaros, Neufeld, Kolo, Thomas, Biggie, and Alexander can make mistake after mistake without consequences. Things aren’t going to get any better until there’s urgency to be better. 

45 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

It really rubbed me the wrong way how they treated Chris Smith but guys like Collaros, Neufeld, Kolo, Thomas, Biggie, and Alexander can make mistake after mistake without consequences.

That's the biggest thing. If a rookie played as bad as bighill has this year he would be gone and never play again... but bighill can never even take a seat on the sidelines. It's beyond a problem now how some guys have no accountability 

57 minutes ago, the watcher said:

I'll preface my comment by saying my knowledge of football doesn't come close to some on here . There are lots of issues on this team. And I'm usually a very optimistic person BUT :

Collaros  is costing the Bombers games. His excapeability is completely gone. It used to be a huge part of his game.

He constantly underthrows relievers. Many of the completions he has now are great or spectacular catches by the recievers which masks just how bad It is.

His decision making is shocking at times. Throwing into double or triple coverage In the red zonelast night he totally ignored an open reciever last and chose to throw to a player  surrounded by 3 green jerseys. Same in the previous game. 

I could go on but will stop there. This isn't just our revamped O line. I know there are issues on D with some aged out vets.  But without a competent QB you can't compete at all. This reminds me very much of when Zach came in . Nichols was done. And now Zach is as well.

well...for someone with limited knowledge (self claimed) you have amazingly hit the nail on the head.....Too bad our HC doesn't share some of your knowledge....or that of the others here

49 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

The most concerning part of being 2-5 isn’t the record itself but it’s actually the fact that it’s due to so much bad play from our veterans. I can get behind a team that’s 2-5 because they’re young, making mistakes and figuring it out and getting better but when it’s not your young players making mistakes but your players that are all on the wrong side of 30 it’s quite discouraging, what’s even worse is I truly don’t think O’Shea sees an issue with his vets. The amount of rope these guys get compared to some of the young players is incredible. It really rubbed me the wrong way how they treated Chris Smith but guys like Collaros, Neufeld, Kolo, Thomas, Biggie, and Alexander can make mistake after mistake without consequences. Things aren’t going to get any better until there’s urgency to be better. 

the young guys don't even get a chance to make an impact...be it positive or negative so we don't even know what we got...or if we need to bring in new bodies.

Smith didnt nothing wrong other than not break a run for a TD...always got positive yardage...secured every kick....and offers a lot to the offence (but alas didnt get a snap) Case was underwhelming an ordinary...what was the point?

We have some horses up front to make a difference on defense but the Coach feels the need to play Jake pretty much every snap...and again...they get no real chance to make an impact....let alone get in a groove in a game

If a player...rookie...or just new to us made the whiffs game in and game out now going on 2 yrs now...they would be replaced...but not Osh's vets...why is that? How do they not see it over and over on game tape ?...When is Younger gonna say...enough is enough and gimme some legit play makers...let me run all imports on defense save for Ford...gimme the best possible athletes....instead of being saddled with Osh's Boi's....who havnt been getting it done since 2022

12 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Not sure you listened to the post-game.

I never do, I can’t stand the inane questions from callers. Thats why I asked for cliff notes. 

11 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

I think Rourke is BC or no return based on some of his comments 

With the due money to zach next year we couldn’t make a deal for him work any way. 

And I didn’t notice a difference between case and smith. Ppl pretending smith was busting out returns is a weird one. To me that’s at worst a wash. Made zero difference. Case or smith. No difference.  It should be easier to replace Americans so not sure why bighill and ba aren’t replaced. It’s a bit harder to replace your Canadians tho. 

Edited by Goalie

I wonder if there’s disagreement from wade and Kyle with Osh. Part of me feels Kyle says put this guy on and Osh goes ok but I won’t give him reps. Only explanation for guys like ayers jones and name a guy who doesn’t get defensive reps on the roster. How can anyone watch these games and film and think yeah AB and BA aren’t a major concern. At this point what O’Shea is doing is almost destroying what he helped create. It’s brutal. Why don’t he want to get better? This is serious delusional stuff going on. If I’m Walter’s I’m going we are releasing bighill and Alexander and putting Jake on the 6 game. Deal with it. 

Edited by Goalie

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Four.

lol is it 4? We have a plus 55 yd sergio fg and 1 convert more in 1 less game. 

That’s how bad Zach has been. Our kicker is kicking 55 plus yard fgs every game, more than once. Missed a 61 last night. 

Edited by Goalie

On 2024-07-20 at 2:42 PM, Goalie said:

And I didn’t notice a difference between case and smith. Ppl pretending smith was busting out returns is a weird one. To me that’s at worst a wash. Made zero difference. Case or smith. No difference.  It should be easier to replace Americans so not sure why bighill and ba aren’t replaced. It’s a bit harder to replace your Canadians tho. 

I think Smith looks way better on returns than Case.  Smith has been close to popping a few…. With Case it didn’t appear as that was even a remote possibility.  Too much hesitation and stutter stepping…. No fluidity to his movements.

Just now, BomberBall. said:

I think Smith looks way better on returns than Case.  Smith has been close to popping a few…. With Case it didn’t appear as that was even a remote possibility.  Too much hesitation and stutter stepping…. No fluidity to his movements.

Case handled the ball better and seemed smoother to me. 

29 minutes ago, JCon said:

Case is a better runner, but far more tentative. I can see why they want him to have the ball in his hands, but as a kr he looks like a poor man’s Keith stokes in albeit limited opportunity. 

35 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yeah way more direct, get vertical and test the coverage, kind of Grant style.  The couple where he tested the field he had already beat the first wave and then cut.

I'd like to see him get more reps on returns and O.  No reason they couldn't roster both him and Smith.  Should be looking to build a running/screen game around all threats and I don't imagine Case is any worse at receiver than Wilson, Mitchell, Johnson....we've had at least two of those guys on the roster for every game.

Sometimes with play design tighten up formations and having more guys in backfield actually creates more space across the field.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

On 2024-07-20 at 11:29 AM, Arnold_Palmer said:

It's becoming way too commonplace that Collaros + Demski = turnover. This is partly because of Zach's locking on to his guy and partly because Demski has terrible ball management and isn't 6'5" like Collaros thinks he is.

1 hour ago, BomberBall. said:

I’ll maybe try to watch the returns again, because I thought Case looked tentative, clunky and had no flow until that late return where he got about 35 yards.

i agree...Smith looked n=better....he took ball and went....looked more likely to pop a run too...he had zero issues recieving and securing the ball either....and he ran harder

Case looked to be quicker and probably faster but I saw little evidence about evasiveness or ability to read blocking. I would be willing to give him another shot but it would help his case a lot of he had potential to be a good receiver.