SNF Elks @ Riders GDT

1 hour ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Recognize where he fell short?

Address those short comings?

Make changes to improve on those short comings?

The dude is a first time HC- he deserves some slack.

the-hnl.gif

Mace has played & coached in the league for over 15 years. He's a rookie head coach in name only. Saying "it's on him" for the loss is a cop out. So what if it's on him? There's no accountability. He isn't in danger of being fired so it's all word salad. He gave no credit to the Elks for playing well.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2024-08-05 at 1:59 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Corey Mace's comments after their loss to the Elks saying that they weren't prepared to play & that he'll take responsibility for that. How??? Will he resign? Will he fine himself?? His job is to get them ready. So, Mace's words ring hollow.

I don't understand your criticism here... he did what a leader is supposed to do... he took responsibility for his team's loss and vowed to be better going forward... I would take that as a positive if that were my head coach

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Man, we were totally overmatched in the second half. Almost defenseless.

It’s about we all the time tho. Never them. I guess Bowness in hockey but he called out his own players first. Normally coaches find a way in public to talk about the issues they made, behind the closed doors im sure it’s different tho. I guess what they say to the media most the time is just PR **** for their team. It is what it is. 

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Yeah, the term "taking responsibility" has lost all meaning these days.  In the old days, it meant that you tendered your resignation.  Now...it's just a hollow phrase.  "I take responsibility" - Nod, smile, carry on.

I'm not sure why resigning needs to be only way to take respondibility.

30 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

so what are some other ways?  At the very least, you offer it and it is rebuffed.  But at least then it isn't just another vacuous statement.   I was working with a guy once who screwed up big time and cost the client a lot of money.  In a Zoom call, the client said "so what's going to happen" and the guy said "I take full responsibility".  And that was it.  He didn't offer to resign, or cough up some of the dough he lost the client.  Nothing.  The client just said "so then what does that mean?"  Clearly it meant nothing, because for some reason now you can just say these things and that's the end of it, apparently.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

7 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

so what are some other ways?  At the very least, you offer it and it is rebuffed.  But at least then it isn't just another vacuous statement.   I was working with a guy once who screwed up big time and cost the client a lot of money.  In a Zoom call, the client said "so what's going to happen" and the guy said "I take full responsibility".  And that was it.  He didn't offer to resign, or cough up some of the dough he lost the client.  Nothing.  The client just said "so then what does that mean?"  Clearly it meant nothing, because for some reason now you can just say these things and that's the end of it, apparently.

In my field it's a phrase usually said before a risk is taken, usually so the blame can be shifted to the proper party if things go wrong. 

Mace is simply just owning the fact that he feels he didn't prepare the team properly. I guess the phrase has just evolved.

Mace prepared as he usually did..The Elsk were just better...and won...end of story

More or less just word gymnastics by coach to assure goofy rider fanbase they will be better...especially when it looks like the usual in season swoon has started earlier than usual

We will see this week if/what any difference is apparent...I expect nothing really out of the norm...And an Ottawa win by 2 scores

24 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

In todays world it's just BS sprinkled on top of a meaningless word salad, in the business world it can come down to $$ compensated for lost revenue to be extracted by lawyers.

Just now, Booch said:

Mace prepared as he usually did..The Elsk were just better...and won...end of story

More or less just word gymnastics by coach to assure goofy rider fanbase they will be better...especially when it looks like the usual in season swoon has started earlier than usual

We will see this week if/what any difference is apparent...I expect nothing really out of the norm...And an Ottawa win by 2 scores

Yes why it took the Elks so long to put the psycho MBT on the bench and finally give Tre Ford the reins I don't know.  Man it would have been nice if Walters had been able to pry him out of Edmonton when Jones was still there.  "Yeah Chris, we'll give you Sheahan - I know he's a punter but you can start him at MLB - right...yes that does make sense".

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

Yes why it took the Elks so long to put the psycho MBT on the bench and finally give Tre Ford the reins I don't know.  Man it would have been nice if Walters had been able to pry him out of Edmonton when Jones was still there.  "Yeah Chris, we'll give you Sheahan - I know he's a punter but you can start him at MLB - right...yes that does make sense".

couple guys there I wish we coulda fleeced Jones for actually.....

When is Tre Ford contract up?...this winter?....Maybe him and bro end up together here

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

When is Tre Ford contract up?...this winter?....Maybe him and bro end up together here

If they want to play together they could choose anywhere they want, with the most likely destination Toronto.

21 minutes ago, Booch said:

I am at a point where the injuries are becoming too major of a factor. Thurman now out this week along with everyone else already lost. Ottawa is sneaky good, especially defensively and will be a tough game. 

55 minutes ago, Booch said:

No way we or any other CFL team has a shot at Tre- he is just about the only reason for optimism about the Elks. That, and the firing of Chris Jones.

1 hour ago, greenrider55 said:

I am at a point where the injuries are becoming too major of a factor. Thurman now out this week along with everyone else already lost. Ottawa is sneaky good, especially defensively and will be a tough game. 

welcome to our world....looks like we might be climbing out of injury hell a bit

10 hours ago, bearpants said:

I don't understand your criticism here... he did what a leader is supposed to do... he took responsibility for his team's loss and vowed to be better going forward... I would take that as a positive if that were my head coach

My point is when coaches say it's on them, it really means nothing. Just say they played badly & will be better prepared next game without throwing personal responsibility into the mix. At the pro level there's already an expectation of practicing & preparing at a high level. So, just how can he bring up the level of preparation even higher? Is he admitting that he didn't take the Elks seriously enough? That's a slap to Mace as a HC & his staff.  

7 hours ago, Mark H. said:

There just isn't truly taking responsibility. They only pay with their jobs if losing is a weekly occurence. Coaches do give their opponents credit all the time. It may be just a one or 2 sentence credit & said very quickly but they do after a loss. 

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My point is when coaches say it's on them, it really means nothing. Just say they played badly & will be better prepared next game without throwing personal responsibility into the mix. At the pro level there's already an expectation of practicing & preparing at a high level. So, just how can he bring up the level of preparation even higher? Is he admitting that he didn't take the Elks seriously enough? That's a slap to Mace as a HC & his staff.  

This is a fair point... and I think most of us understood that's exactly what he meant... that's how I took it anyways... either way, the coach taking the blame, rather than throwing others under the bus, is good leadership

On 2024-08-06 at 1:23 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

Yep. Means diddly squat.