TNF-Rough Riders V Roughriders

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

CC and the refs need to be full time employees who are held accountable for their performances. The lack of consistency in rule enforcement, and challenges is as bad as it’s ever been in the cfl. 
 Changes need to be made this year. 

I was texting a buddy who said "What happened to the refs deciding the game? If they make a mistake, or miss a call, that sucks, they'll be held accountable. There doesn't need to be 4 layers of reffing."

4 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

I was texting a buddy who said "What happened to the refs deciding the game? If they make a mistake, or miss a call, that sucks, they'll be held accountable. There doesn't need to be 4 layers of reffing."

The cc shouldn’t be able to review what ever it wants. Turn overs, scores, qb/p/k hits, should all be reviewed, but with out stopping the game. 
 Have 2 officials in separate areas review the play independently. Each one grades the play with out knowing the call on the field. Combined with the call on the field the majority rules. 
 Cap the time for reviews at say 2 minutes in the final 3, or 1 minute other wise. 
 Senior director of reffing answers questions after each week on calls, with the integrity of the game as most important. Not protecting refs. 
 In the mlb you can see how accurate refs are with the strike zone, ump grading hasn’t hurt the umps. If any thing the top tier have been shown to be extraordinary at their job. 

43 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Step 1. Command center can not review random plays 

Step 2. Give coaches an extra challenge and they are the only ones who can initiate a review 

step 3 but prob should be step 1. Hire competent people and not incompetent former refs. Hire former players or coaches. Guys who actually understand the rules. 

step 4. Artificial Intelligence 

With the officiating being this incompetent coaches should be given an extra challenge and should be allowed to continue challenging so long as the calls are overturned. Why punish a team when all they're doing is highlighting your incompete....oh, yeah.

Artificial intelligence? I'd settle for some good ol fashioned normal intelligence.

27 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

CC and the refs need to be full time employees who are held accountable for their performances. The lack of consistency in rule enforcement, and challenges is as bad as it’s ever been in the cfl. 

As I've shared before. It could have been written with CFL officiating in mind.

"It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."

- Thomas Sowell.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

This was the point I was trying to make with Corey mace's comments that the loss to the Elks "was on him". Nothing happens. It's all words. Does anyone think the CFL will punishb anyone from the CC? It'll never happen. It's great to say that you're accountable when you're not. 

There is no reason that both teams should be on the same sideline and the league needs to tell teams to find a way to change this practice next year. Dyce said he has an issue with someone who he believed should've not been on the sidelines and that's what the brouhaha was about

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

There is no reason that both teams should be on the same sideline and the league needs to tell teams to find a way to change this practice next year. Dyce said he has an issue with someone who he believed should've not been on the sidelines and that's what the brouhaha was about

When everyone thought the game was over after the turnover, a bunch of fans jumped onto the field.  I believe that it was one of those fans who was over talking to some of the Ottawa players, and Dyce didn't like what he was hearing, so he got into it with the fan.  Not sure if it was an Ottawa or Sask fan, but it looked like some random dude who had no right to be on the field.

As for the reviews and such, I'm surprised that Crum wasn't pulled from the game by the injury spotter on the OT TD run, because he took a shot to the head and looked a little wobbly getting up after he scored.  I thought the player who hit him led with his helmet and should have been penalized as well.  For the last automatic review, it was a turnover which are always under automatic review by the command centre, we just don't always hear about it because some of them are reviewed faster than others, and there is usually a commercial break after a turnover, so we don't notice it.  In this case, we did because of the timing and it seeming like the game was over.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The Refs on the field missed both calls. The CC got both calls right. That's what they are their for. To fix obvious mistakes.

I think the PI call could have gone either way.  Someone on the TSN panel made the comment that if you have to use slow motion to determine if it was PI or not, then it likely shouldn't be called, and I kindof agree with that.  I would also say though that if that was PI, then the one that didn't get called in the Bomber game definitely should have been because the guy was all over Demski long before the ball go there.

24 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The Refs on the field missed both calls. The CC got both calls right. That's what they are their for. To fix obvious mistakes.

I disagree the cut block caused the player to go low,he went face first and didn't keep rolling into the QB. No way that was intentional,how can a player stop from being cut blocked? If the league wants to protect the Qbs, maybe make cut blocks illegal in all situations?

11 minutes ago, bb1 said:

I disagree the cut block caused the player to go low,he went face first and didn't keep rolling into the QB. No way that was intentional,how can a player stop from being cut blocked? If the league wants to protect the Qbs, maybe make cut blocks illegal in all situations?

It doesn't need to be intentional though.  That same call got made a couple years back when I believe Jake Thomas was cut blocked and blindly rolled into the QB's legs.  The roughing the passer call was made by the refs on the field and the league clarified it after the fact saying that a player has to maintain control of their body at all times in order to avoid that type of contact.  The CC made the right call last night, disappointed that the refs on the field didn't.

2 minutes ago, Sard said:

It doesn't need to be intentional though.  That same call got made a couple years back when I believe Jake Thomas was cut blocked and blindly rolled into the QB's legs.  The roughing the passer call was made by the refs on the field and the league clarified it after the fact saying that a player has to maintain control of their body at all times in order to avoid that type of contact.  The CC made the right call last night, disappointed that the refs on the field didn't.

Yes, I think it was during the Banjo Bowl? I remember O'Shea after the game saying that it was on the player to ensure they don't hit the QB and that they were responsible for their own bodies after Jake's penalty. 

51 minutes ago, Sard said:

When everyone thought the game was over after the turnover, a bunch of fans jumped onto the field.  I believe that it was one of those fans who was over talking to some of the Ottawa players, and Dyce didn't like what he was hearing, so he got into it with the fan.  Not sure if it was an Ottawa or Sask fan, but it looked like some random dude who had no right to be on the field.

As for the reviews and such, I'm surprised that Crum wasn't pulled from the game by the injury spotter on the OT TD run, because he took a shot to the head and looked a little wobbly getting up after he scored.  I thought the player who hit him led with his helmet and should have been penalized as well.  For the last automatic review, it was a turnover which are always under automatic review by the command centre, we just don't always hear about it because some of them are reviewed faster than others, and there is usually a commercial break after a turnover, so we don't notice it.  In this case, we did because of the timing and it seeming like the game was over.

I think the PI call could have gone either way.  Someone on the TSN panel made the comment that if you have to use slow motion to determine if it was PI or not, then it likely shouldn't be called, and I kindof agree with that.  I would also say though that if that was PI, then the one that didn't get called in the Bomber game definitely should have been because the guy was all over Demski long before the ball go there.

Exactly what I was thinking.  How does the command center call that one PI and let the Demski one go?  Zero consistency.

16 minutes ago, Sard said:

This!  My thoughts exactly.  Even through it was 'by accident' you just need to know you can't go full tilt and risk being cut blocked like that and rolling into the QB. 

If stuff like that isn't called you know players will 'accidently on purpose' roll to take out QB's (hell it even happend vs RedBlacks earlier int he game and lost their QB for the rest of it).  

Edited by Saidin

Did the previous similar injury to Brown influence the command centre and their decision.... Could have, as the primary 'protect the qb.' was at play...Tough call but I think they got it right...What is it they say....a tie is like kissing your sister....they both have to live with it

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

The penalty isn't for intentional hitting below the knees. It's the same as the play that took out Brown. Neither were intentional. Both were penalties. 

1 hour ago, Saidin said:

This!  My thoughts exactly.  Even through it was 'by accident' you just need to know you can't go full tilt and risk being cut blocked like that and rolling into the QB. 

If stuff like that isn't called you know players will 'accidently on purpose' roll to take out QB's (hell it even happend vs RedBlacks earlier int he game and lost their QB for the rest of it).  

To a point I agree, Henoc Muamba was saying yesterday that runningbacks are adverse to cut blocking in the A-Gap because they know they risk their QB getting hit low. 

To avoid the players doing the accidentally on purpose thing, you may just have to penalize cutting in A-Gap, but then I have no idea how you enforce that. 

All the refs watching it let it go, the CC intervenes, and everyone is mad. I have no idea why the refs don't just call the penalty right then & there. 

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

What is the right call anymore? If PI was the right call on that play then the interception on Demski 2 weeks back was triple PI. 

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

The penalty isn't for intentional hitting below the knees. It's the same as the play that took out Brown. Neither were intentional. Both were penalties. 

Yes but in the first one he kept rolling, idk the suggestion on here that you don't rush the QB if your gonna get cut blocked makes no sense. Makes more sense to get rid of cut blocking imo.

8 hours ago, bb1 said:

On the OT one the guy 100% rolls after he’s cut block.  That’s an easy penalty.  If the QB was stepping up and the contact was more direct he might have a bit of an argument despite the rule being adjusted pre-2022 to any contact below knee being flagged.

Never forget that the saskatchewan greenwhites threatened legal action against Ottawa from using the Roughriders name despite Ottawa using it before them. The same greenwhites that had to be given welfare by the league and other teams, put the boots to a new Ottawa franchise, because it was a passing fad that was financially viable for around 8 years. Now they're going broke again after building a tacky stadium designed for a large fanbase.