SNF: Elsks (??) @ (formerly) Bo-less Tabbies

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Doesn't give the vibe of someone with a lot of time left? Are you a some kind of a physician who can diagnose a fatal acondition watching a tv screen? ? Or just a general ageism comment?

Have people already forgotten the old man that bought the Als then dropped dead within a few months?  Left the team to his idiot son-in-law Gary Stern who convinced him to buy the team in the first place and who was consequently restricted by the shareholders from involvement with the team.  I think within 6 months the Als were back under CFL control.  

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/cfl-takes-over-montreal-alouettes-ownership

42 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Have people already forgotten the old man that bought the Als then dropped dead within a few months?  Left the team to his idiot son-in-law Gary Stern who convinced him to buy the team in the first place and who was consequently restricted by the shareholders from involvement with the team.  I think within 6 months the Als were back under CFL control.  

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/cfl-takes-over-montreal-alouettes-ownership

Sid Speigel is the old guy who bought the Als and dropped dead.  Howver he was 89 or 90 years old when he did.

Edited by Gail
Wrong format.

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Have you forgotten that Spiegel was 15 years older than the new owner in Edmonton? 

4 hours ago, Squeakers and Skippy said:

He looks his age

So? 

Love how some of the same people who are absolutely bent with the thought that the Elks may change their name back to Eskimos are the same ones who are just as prejudiced towards older people as the ones who hate the name Eskimos.  The many posters here are indeed hypocrites. 

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Love how some of the same people who are absolutely bent with the thought that the Elks may change their name back to Eskimos are the same ones who are just as prejudiced towards older people as the ones who hate the name Eskimos.  The many posters here are indeed hypocrites. 

Ok boomer

3 hours ago, IC Khari said:

Not enough talent and the coaching is far from top notch despite all the preseason hype about the head coach …

Milanovich has more hype than Chris Jones with less accolades. He was never going to be successful, he's not a HC.

14 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

That Edmonton owner is 64 going on 85.  Looks old as hell.

I honestly didn't think he looked that old.

13 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Milanovich has more hype than Chris Jones with less accolades. He was never going to be successful, he's not a HC.

I honestly didn't think he looked that old.

I thought he looked and spoke like he had one foot in the grave. Compare that to someone like Caretaker Bob, who's also a very old man, but seems to have a vim and vigor and is extremely well spoken. Never mind someone like Doman in BC, who feels like a teenager compared to those other two...

64 and didn’t seem overly interested, prepared or articulate.  Very low energy…and he’s watching a game where his team is taking the piss out of the other team.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.  Even in good times running a CFL team is basically a break even operation.  Edmonton doesn’t have a shot at the same revenues WFC does just based on facility and facility management.  They need a stadium.

Think it’s fair to question anybody putting their own money forward on their commitment based on these realities.

Best case scenario he puts the right people in charge and is basically out of the public eye.

We're so quick to judge based on appearances. Maybe he's just not accustomed to being interviewed on a national TV broadcast. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/cfl-s-edmonton-elks-announce-alberta-businessman-larry-thompson-new-owner-1.7295612

Per this article, He is a life long fan of the team and a season ticket holder since 1972. 

Also ..  "There's no doubt that Larry's more comfortable on a road-building project, or working on his hobby with his antique cars and motorcycles, or actually sitting here as a fan in row one. But now he's the owner of a CFL franchise."

15 minutes ago, Tony Fresco said:

We're so quick to judge based on appearances. Maybe he's just not accustomed to being interviewed on a national TV broadcast. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/cfl-s-edmonton-elks-announce-alberta-businessman-larry-thompson-new-owner-1.7295612

Per this article, He is a life long fan of the team and a season ticket holder since 1972. 

Also ..  "There's no doubt that Larry's more comfortable on a road-building project, or working on his hobby with his antique cars and motorcycles, or actually sitting here as a fan in row one. But now he's the owner of a CFL franchise."

Yeah...the also part doesn't exactly inspire.  It's a big commitment.  Feels like they had to find somebody and he's the first person who agreed.  Depth of his commitment to being "the owner of a CFL franchise" will be tested significantly in the next 18 months or so.  Even the guy who basically drafted him to own the team acknowledges he's not really that interested.  

It's a significantly uphill climb to get government support for a sports facility especially in that province.  Just took the beloved NHL Flames over a decade to get anything actually moving.  Doesn't seem like the guy to get it done.

30 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah...the also part doesn't exactly inspire.  It's a big commitment.  Feels like they had to find somebody and he's the first person who agreed.  Depth of his commitment to being "the owner of a CFL franchise" will be tested significantly in the next 18 months or so.  Even the guy who basically drafted him to own the team acknowledges he's not really that interested.  

It's a significantly uphill climb to get government support for a sports facility especially in that province.  Just took the beloved NHL Flames over a decade to get anything actually moving.  Doesn't seem like the guy to get it done.

Sure. I'm not saying he's the saviour.  We do know he ran a successful business for decades, and was able to sell it to have enough capital to take this on. 

Likely deserves a chance to be judged on his actions and results rather than a 60 second video clip. 

1 hour ago, Tony Fresco said:

We do know he ran a successful business for decades, and was able to sell it to have enough capital to take this on. 

I've known/know more than a few Albertans run successful construction businesses.... not all of them are brilliant business people.

This guy we will wait and see but running a successful business isn't in and of itself an indicator of your ability to run a different type of business.

39 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I've known/know more than a few Albertans run successful construction businesses.... not all of them are brilliant business people.

This guy we will wait and see but running a successful business isn't in and of itself an indicator of your ability to run a different type of business.

Unless he has had the know how to put the right people in place for it to be successful..and thinking that may be case here...and he will get good guidance to doing that and just hold the purse

53 minutes ago, Booch said:

Unless he has had the know how to put the right people in place for it to be successful..and thinking that may be case here...and he will get good guidance to doing that and just hold the purse

Too many guys have a successful construction  business in Alberta by underpaying workers and cutting other corners so they can sneak a low bid in and still make some money. That'd be my concern because that doesn't work in pro sports

I know a lot of people that have never run a successful construction business comment on how to run a successful construction business.

I know people that run a successful construction business. Their comments don’t match the “never run” crowd. 

17to85 and I know a guy who owns a construction company and I broke his basement window with a hockey puck and he was kind enough to only charge me for parts and not labour on the replacement.....

....am I contributing properly, here....?