3 stars plus hh 700th win kid cant-ada bc sucks

15 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I for one was more bashing TSN’s idea of Rourke than the player himself. 

I’m not sure one way or the other but does anyone know if Rourke is Ben Cahoon Canadian or actual Canadian? 

More like Ben Cahoon. Calling him Kid Canada is an insult to Tre Ford.

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’m not sure one way or the other but does anyone know if Rourke is Ben Cahoon Canadian or actual Canadian? 

True Canadian.  Born in Victoria, raised in Ontario and played high school football there.  Went to College in the states.

11 hours ago, Gail said:

True Canadian.  Born in Victoria, raised in Ontario and played high school football there.  Went to College in the states.

He played his senior year in the US. Went to a community college before transferring to Ohio, after graduating. 

Edited by JCon

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Tre Ford is Kid Canada. Rourke is a guy who never wanted to play Canadian football and said his CFL time was an unexpected detour. 

I don't fault him for not being 'Canadian enough'. Lots of kids in Canada dream of playing in the NFL. That's a failure of the league, not the kid. 

He's Canadian. He just prefers the NFL. 

14 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

he's real Canadian... born and raised in Canada... spent the same amount of development time in Canadian football as Sidney Crosby did in playing hockey in Canada... yet no one questions "how Canadian" he is.... Drew Wolitarsky is a better example of "Ben Cahoon Canadian"...

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

Tre Ford is Kid Canada. Rourke is a guy who never wanted to play Canadian football and said his CFL time was an unexpected detour. 

so to be clear... your expectation for every Canadian football player is their dream should be to play in the CFL and have no aspirations beyond that?... otherwise they are a fake Canadian?... and the word he used was "unforeseen" as in unplanned... he had hoped to make it to the NFL and didn't so he played in the CFL and excelled... then he had an opportunity to play in the best league in the world and we should chastise him to taking that opportunity?... you ignore all the parts of his statement where he praises the CFL and constantly pick out the one word, then change that word, to fit your narrative... we get it, you think he's not Canadian because he was good enough to play in the US... I can guarantee 100% of the Canadians currently playing the CFL would do the same thing if they had the opportunity. 

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

so to be clear... your expectation for every Canadian football player is their dream should be to play in the CFL 

To me, the definition of a True Canadian in the CFL is someone born in Canada and only played 3 Down football their entire life. 

I'm not saying I don't like other types of quasi Canadians. Lord knows I'm a huge Woogie fan. But he's not a real Canadian... And that's fine. 

I believe people hyping up Rourke as this "OMG A CANADIAN PLAYING QB IN THE CFL?!?!" are doing a great disservice to people like Tre Ford, who only ever played up north. Rourke isn't such a unicorn... Based on his training, he's no different from any other rando American QB that comes up here...

49 minutes ago, Noeller said:

To me, the definition of a True Canadian in the CFL is someone born in Canada and only played 3 Down football their entire life. 

I'm not saying I don't like other types of quasi Canadians. Lord knows I'm a huge Woogie fan. But he's not a real Canadian... And that's fine. 

I believe people hyping up Rourke as this "OMG A CANADIAN PLAYING QB IN THE CFL?!?!" are doing a great disservice to people like Tre Ford, who only ever played up north. Rourke isn't such a unicorn... Based on his training, he's no different from any other rando American QB that comes up here...

except that he was born and raised in Canada and played 3 down football until he was 17... so you want to diminish him for being so good he got recruited to play in the US?... I agree, the media attention on him is way over the top... and Tre Ford should also get more praise... but it's ridiculous to call him "not a True Canadian" basically because he was too good...

50 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I get it you don't like Rourke because he's been anointed by the media but this is crazy. 

By your standards Brady isn't a true Canadian. Doug Brown isn't. Enough with the true Canadian bullshit.  

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

he's real Canadian... born and raised in Canada... spent the same amount of development time in Canadian football as Sidney Crosby did in playing hockey in Canada... yet no one questions "how Canadian" he is.... Drew Wolitarsky is a better example of "Ben Cahoon Canadian"...

so to be clear... your expectation for every Canadian football player is their dream should be to play in the CFL and have no aspirations beyond that?... otherwise they are a fake Canadian?... and the word he used was "unforeseen" as in unplanned... he had hoped to make it to the NFL and didn't so he played in the CFL and excelled... then he had an opportunity to play in the best league in the world and we should chastise him to taking that opportunity?... you ignore all the parts of his statement where he praises the CFL and constantly pick out the one word, then change that word, to fit your narrative... we get it, you think he's not Canadian because he was good enough to play in the US... I can guarantee 100% of the Canadians currently playing the CFL would do the same thing if they had the opportunity. 

Any ki wans to play in the best lague....so no knocking him for trying....and I actually applaud him for realizing/seeing the politics involved down there, and that sometimes you just have to accept you behind 8 ball....and cut bait and he did, and instead of wasting away anoyher year will get paid now....get more experience and actually be playing and become a big fish in a smaller pond.....and possibly one of the faces of the league which will garner him more $$

Guys testing that meat grinder eed to look at...how many spots are available...then see who is on roster drafted in first 6 to 7 rounds....then compare signing bonus money....if they got any....and determine from that your realistic chance...and if you get no bonus...well then 99 percent chance you are gonna be a camp body....PR guy and no guarantee for a long stint...or just bouncing from work out to work out...waiting/hoping....and all the while if actually not on a PR....U ain getting paid

I think Rourke did it right, had his first yr....got some cheques but was by no means a lock for anything....saw 2 more opps this yr go nowhere...with writing on the wall...and made the right move coming back

52 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Always enjoy people trying to decide who a true Canadian is, or who a true veteran is, or who a true CFL fan is and then declaring that their definition is the "right" one.  

Agree. We need all the ni talent we can get in this league. I do love seeing guys excel who played college ball in Canada, doesn’t make them better or more Canadian. If you were in a position to pick between a D1 school and likely leaving home for a good Canadian college program why wouldn’t you bet on your self and try to give your self the best shot. Jbr has mentioned it even if you don’t play you get drafted in the cfl. 
 It’s been a long time but when I was around college football the difference between mid tier d1 schools and the good Canadian programs was still like the difference between the stamps stadium and facilities and the Dallas cowboys. 

In baseball they have had the same thing with “true Yankees” for a long time and it’s widely panned across the sport. 

Many Canadians kids play at least a year or so of high school football in the US and then go to a D1 school. Still Canadian and its bullshit to say otherwise.  From Winnipeg alone, Dallas Sims is at Old Dominion, Sean Sevillano is at Notre Dame, Trae Tomlinson is at Richmond, Marcus Wahl is at UND, Njita Sinkala is going to Boston College to name a few.

36 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Many Canadians kids play at least a year or so of high school football in the US and then go to a D1 school. Still Canadian and its bullshit to say otherwise.  From Winnipeg alone, Dallas Sims is at Old Dominion, Sean Sevillano is at Notre Dame, Trae Tomlinson is at Richmond, Marcus Wahl is at UND, Njita Sinkala is going to Boston College to name a few.

As a transplanted Manitoban living in Alberta, Chuba Hubbard a Sherwood Park current Carolina Panther would be a good example . . .

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

That's a terrible definition.  I understand not classifying Dublanko, Curtis, Singleton as Canadians.

3 Down Nation has some actual football analysis on Mr. Rourke's wild ride:

https://3downnation.com/2024/08/21/no-apology-needed-breaking-down-nathan-rourkes-struggles-against-winnipegs-elite-defence/

(I know, I know, 3DN is hardly a quality brand, but I have enjoyed / learned from Ben Grant's analysis in the past, and the dude is an actual football coach.)

2 minutes ago, johnzo said:

3 Down Nation has some actual football analysis on Mr. Rourke's wild ride:

https://3downnation.com/2024/08/21/no-apology-needed-breaking-down-nathan-rourkes-struggles-against-winnipegs-elite-defence/

(I know, I know, 3DN is hardly a quality brand, but I have enjoyed / learned from Ben Grant's analysis in the past, and the dude is an actual football coach.)

Ben Grants analysis are very professional. As good or better than anything else out there related to CFL. This article  does make a lot of sense, Winnipegs D is top notch and expecting even an elite QB to challenge it with only 3 days practice was a stretch in the first place. Younger has this D dialled in and it’s going to take some impeccable play and a few mistakes for any offence to really shine here on in. 

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Agree. We need all the ni talent we can get in this league. I do love seeing guys excel who played college ball in Canada, doesn’t make them better or more Canadian. If you were in a position to pick between a D1 school and likely leaving home for a good Canadian college program why wouldn’t you bet on your self and try to give your self the best shot. Jbr has mentioned it even if you don’t play you get drafted in the cfl. 
 It’s been a long time but when I was around college football the difference between mid tier d1 schools and the good Canadian programs was still like the difference between the stamps stadium and facilities and the Dallas cowboys. 

In baseball they have had the same thing with “true Yankees” for a long time and it’s widely panned across the sport. 

Really depends on the education they expect to receive if it's a consideration at all, if it's only football they care about they'd never be accepted by a Canadian University in the first place, their only Canadian option would be Jr. football. In the US as long as a player can read, he can play football as long as he's a benefit to the organization that will house and feed him. 

47 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Really depends on the education they expect to receive if it's a consideration at all, if it's only football they care about they'd never be accepted by a Canadian University in the first place, their only Canadian option would be Jr. football. In the US as long as a player can read, he can play football as long as he's a benefit to the organization that will house and feed him. 

That’s a good point. I’m not up to date on college politics in Canada, but I don’t feel like we have a Florida type school that’s a football and diploma mill but not a lot more than that. I’d say most of the top college teams tend to be really strong schools. So it could affect things in both directions. Does the university of Maine have programs that will help you in an after career life in Canada more than a u of m ubc etc?