Ticats at Bombers GDT

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Has apparently lost most/all of his playing weight... Not a football player anymore.

I'm guessing the very obvious PI that somehow the CC didn't penalize us for even though the Bombers DB clearly tugged the front collar of the Ham receiver jersey...

IMO, pretty debatable that tug had any real impact on the WRs ability to catch the ball.  However, I have seen PI called for less contact than that.

6 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

He was locked in, but he also had pressure forcing him outside and on the run. That's why he couldn't get it deep (even if he saw Lawler) and why the toss was over thrown.

I don’t agree. I was sitting at the 30 yard line on the west side and had a perfect view of the play. There was absolutely time for Zach to get the ball out on a timing throw to the corner. He just did not look there. Not even a glance.

That said, I am NOT disagreeing that the loss of the two offensive alignment lineman was a big deal and resulted in Z not having adequate  time too often. But that was not the case on the play that I am referring to. And that has been a pattern with him too often this year.

finally, let me add,  Z was absolute 💰 on the final drive when he had to be. That was ZC at his very best and I couldn’t have been more thrilled. We just need to see more of awesome Zach instead of very mediocre, inconsistent Zach.

the 6 touchdowns to 12 pics ratio, for example, has just got to improve. We are 11 games into the season and still struggling mightily to score touchdowns. We will not go anywhere if we we can’t get that part of the game turned around.

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Has apparently lost most/all of his playing weight... Not a football player anymore.

I'm guessing the very obvious PI that somehow the CC didn't penalize us for even though the Bombers DB clearly tugged the front collar of the Ham receiver jersey...

Ummmmmm the tug came right after the receiver pushed off so it was actually a great non call. Two players fighting for the ball, all good.

1 hour ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

I don’t agree. I was sitting at the 30 yard line on the west side and had a perfect view of the play. There was absolutely time for Zach to get the ball out on a timing throw to the corner. He just did not look there. Not even a glance.

That said, I am NOT disagreeing that the loss of the two offensive alignment lineman was a big deal and resulted in Z not having adequate  time too often. But that was not the case on the play that I am referring to. And that has been a pattern with him too often this year.

finally, let me add,  Z was absolute 💰 on the final drive when he had to be. That was ZC at his very best and I couldn’t have been more thrilled. We just need to see more of awesome Zach instead of very mediocre, inconsistent Zach.

the 6 touchdowns to 12 pics ratio, for example, has just got to improve. We are 11 games into the season and still struggling mightily to score touchdowns. We will not go anywhere if we we can’t get that part of the game turned around.

Yes Lawler was on that corner and in good position with DB in chase on that play.

Collaros had the Ticats WIL LB right in his grill of the snap.  There's no way he can set his feet to make that throw.  He couldn't even make the 10 yard toss to Oliviera while working away from that LB.  The footwork there caused the throw to sail.

The Play

Should have thrown it away.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

8 hours ago, Booch said:

He's been plagued with this for a while now...almost like he wants to.just force the primary read regardless....and not a good trait

People slag on Lawler but what u expect when he forces it into usually 2 man coverage at minimum and generally a safety coming over top

So many instances Clercius and Johnson are. and wide open in the short to intermediate and we could have time consuming drives grinding teams down...but ZC tries to force the bigger play...

In years previous to last year and this, Collaros had the eye, brain and arm to be able to throw the ball through a keyhole from the parking lot to the field. Now, he has lost enough of that talent and physical ability that this is no longer effortless and automatic, but he and the coaches are somehow unable to accept this and game-plan around it. This has led to incompletions and INTs and it sure as spit looks like its going to get worse against the Rider defensive backfield. We could get blown out in both games to come and that would lead to mass celebrations in Saskatchewan. 

7 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

It’s wild that we have guys who are the best in the league (or at least in the convo) at 4 positions in the secondary. 

I’d disagree. They’ve had the most success only rushing 3 or 4 this year. I don’t want to see them blitzing all that much more than they have been. 
They broke Bo in the 2019 WF by dropping 9 and coming down on the crossers, taking the deep ball away with tight coverage.  Nick Taylor for one,  played out of his mind that game. 

I agree that it has been working wonderfully, but....eventually it didn't. No pressure on Bo and he's going to find someone. In 2019, they hit him early and often while rushing 4 and that gave him the jitters....this year's team couldn't do that consistently enough last night. Which is why I wanted more blitzing. 

3 hours ago, wpgallday1960 said:

IMO, pretty debatable that tug had any real impact on the WRs ability to catch the ball.  However, I have seen PI called for less contact than that.

The worst part of that whole thing is I honestly have no idea what to expect when it comes to pi calls on the field, or booth reviews in general. 

I would prefer to see some physicality let go between dbs and wrs. Push offs are seldom enforced, and pretty heavily used. If both guys are hand fighting and doing small tugs I’m good with. That makes for the most entertaining and skillful play as well imo. 
The league really needs to work on consistency both from the booth and on the field. It’s hard and to be precise on the field and no one is perfect. But being consistent shouldn’t be soo hard. 

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Have we talked about how fun the Fred Penner half time show was?

Excellent point. I’d much rather see that kind of half time show rather than what we usually see. 

49 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I agree that it has been working wonderfully, but....eventually it didn't. No pressure on Bo and he's going to find someone. In 2019, they hit him early and often while rushing 4 and that gave him the jitters....this year's team couldn't do that consistently enough last night. Which is why I wanted more blitzing. 

I don’t put blame for losses on refs. Even if they maliciously screw up a key call at the end, you still have a dozen active chances becomes the last 3 to win the game. 
 You also have to earn holding calls by fighting through and making them flagrant. You don’t get holding calls easily handed to you especially in this league. Ol get away with a lot here. 
with that said, we got mugged with no recourse. Wj has a tendency to not fight through and let teams get away with mugging. It wasn’t just him though. I saw a lot of guys getting held and not borderline fringe grabs. Stamps ol wore bomber jerseys last night as much as their own. 

To an extent Patterson needs to coach these guys on how to shed blocks and fight through to draw calls. The team should start challenging holds to force refs to pay attention. And guys especially vets like wj should fight through better. 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

In years previous to last year and this, Collaros had the eye, brain and arm to be able to throw the ball through a keyhole from the parking lot to the field. Now, he has lost enough of that talent and physical ability that this is no longer effortless and automatic, but he and the coaches are somehow unable to accept this and game-plan around it. This has led to incompletions and INTs and it sure as spit looks like its going to get worse against the Rider defensive backfield. We could get blown out in both games to come and that would lead to mass celebrations in Saskatchewan. 

Yep, Zach began to show cracks in his armour last season and it looks like they've gotten worse this year, he can temporarily patch them up for a game or two but they eventually become exposed again.  The QB we saw yesterday is no longer capable of overcoming all odds and beating superior teams in the playoffs other than by fluke.  He's slower of foot and apparently slower of mind than he was 2-3 years ago when he was at his peak, and he now spends a lot more series struggling through down modes rather than ripping it up and excelling.  

Hopefully Walters is looking down from up high and cold heartedly evaluating the future prospects with and without Zach as the team leader, without being influenced by the sentimentality of past accomplishments. It comes down to the odds of winning or losing with the current direction and determining when and how to change course.

33 minutes ago, Deiter Fan said:

Can you even challenge holding? I've never seen a holding challenge.

Hmm I know illegal blocks can be, and when the play is major foul level. We could also petition to the league. 

Holding, illegal block, no yards, pi, rtp, and spotting the ball are all serious issues in the league right now. The league needs its largest intervention ever in refing. 

5 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yes Lawler was on that corner and in good position with DB in chase on that play.

Collaros had the Ticats WIL LB right in his grill of the snap.  There's no way he can set his feet to make that throw.  He couldn't even make the 10 yard toss to Oliviera while working away from that LB.  The footwork there caused the throw to sail.

The Play

Should have thrown it away.

Yeah, ok. Watched a replay now (vs seeing it live). I was considering that very thing…does he have time to set his feet?…agree it would be tough. It would require a very quick decision, quick set, and then be prepared to take a hit. Still don’t think it’s impossible…

BUT…I will say my earlier certainty took a blow after reviewing the video of the play. Maybe I should start there next time, eh? 😊

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd

13 hours ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

Yeah, ok. Watched a replay now (vs seeing it live). I was considering that very thing…does he have time to set his feet?…agree it would be tough. It would require a very quick decision, quick set, and then be prepared to take a hit. Still don’t think it’s impossible…

BUT…I will say my earlier certainty took a blow after reviewing the video of the play. Maybe I should start there next time, eh? 😊

We are on the internet sir. There is no expectation that you do anything other than say the first thing that comes to mind, with confidence, loudly and never back down from it.

On 2024-08-23 at 9:38 PM, Deiter Fan said:

On TSN highlights they talk about the Alexander pick...the anchor says "it's ruled an incomplete pass. But look again"...and then they cut off the replay before you can actually see there was no possession til BA took it. smfh

Replay shows the tip of the ball *might* have touched the turf as it slips through receivers mitts. A decent challenge by Bombers but video review is not sufficiently conclusive to overturn the call of an incomplete pass. Looks like CC prob got this one right. See 9 mins 14 seconds here: