Bombers at Riders LDC Early chat

22 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Wait, how is the Riders secondary suspect? They have Ronald Milligan who is the best DB in CFL history. A combination of Rod Hill, Les Browne and Jovon Johnson. At least that what Suitor keeps saying.

Will be the only guy on the ring of honor to never suit up as a Bomber #fuckinglegend

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

shows the value of that garbage

do we even want a 110% healthy one???

So when we look at ZC and AB in their current abilities, is there equal levels of confidence in having them on the field?

Imo AB (whom I love) is showing more regression than ZC (whom I also love).

What do the real experts think?

14 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

So when we look at ZC and AB in their current abilities, is there equal levels of confidence in having them on the field?

Imo AB (whom I love) is showing more regression than ZC (whom I also love).

What do the real experts think?

From observations I have....ZC ...and last game as proof, can, and could find his mojo and if play within himself, and system...carry us and be pretty valuable

AB....well we seen when he has gone out in game...or missed a game....is not really missed and if anything we are more versatile....and when he is in....he is now limited in what he can do, and should be a situational guy at best now....but our coach doesn't see it that way

A Aging QB who still has ability albeit not consistently, but has piece around him has more value, and can win you games....a MLB with diminished skills...and slowed down...even with a solid group around him can and will be exposed...and with lingering injury issues nagging him now for 2+ yrs...why risk having him on there when you cant assume he will make it thru game after game healthy

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well you're not asking me, but I'm going to answer anyway... bighill is more done than Collaros is.

yup

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

That’s a fair point. I’d have to agree, modern/current era is like 05ish-now. 

That sounds about right. In my nostalgia prone memory the big shift came when teams stopped trying to go big heavy sets to counter the Don Mathew’s als cover 0, and started running 5-6 wide sets with fast screens and such. Suddenly every one started doing that to the als, and then to each other. And just like that the fb/te pro form offence evaporated. 
 We kind of started the ball rolling by running and throwing to both backs (sellers n blink) a lot. And I want to say the riders started going empty back field vs the als to mixed success. Then the als adapted it most effectively for a good while. 
 Course plenty of times in the past heavy west coast influences were popular in the cfl. And I haven’t really checked so it might be a bit off here n there or even more off than I would think. 
 But that era really changed a lot in the cfl. The offence, then how teams defended, and it aligned with a surge in ni talent at wr too. 

32 minutes ago, Booch said:

From observations I have....ZC ...and last game as proof, can, and could find his mojo and if play within himself, and system...carry us and be pretty valuable

AB....well we seen when he has gone out in game...or missed a game....is not really missed and if anything we are more versatile....and when he is in....he is now limited in what he can do, and should be a situational guy at best now....but our coach doesn't see it that way

A Aging QB who still has ability albeit not consistently, but has piece around him has more value, and can win you games....a MLB with diminished skills...and slowed down...even with a solid group around him can and will be exposed...and with lingering injury issues nagging him now for 2+ yrs...why risk having him on there when you cant assume he will make it thru game after game healthy

yup

Agree with that. Zach is near the end, but he’s still dangerous. The lights could click on suddenly and he could waltz down the field for a td on every drive at any time. The flickers become less frequent every game, but he could have the best game of his career left in him. 
 Biggie, I don’t know if he has a single big drive left in his gas tank. Maybe a play here or there. Likely a dropping back in zone type of play. I don’t think he has a single play of standing up a blocker, shedding switching gaps and making a crushing 1on1 tackle in the hole. 
  Zach has some struggles with health, I don’t think we will know full details till he retires but I think he has lingering hand issues and of course the concussions. 
 Biggie seems to have fleeting moments when he looks like a healthy pro football player. Nature of his position, and our piss poor use of him for soo long. How many times did he get sent into an interior linemen to remove a blocker here? 500? A thousand? Too damn many that’s for sure. 

40 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Bighill still solid on short yardage situations. His football IQ is still strong. He’s definitely not as quick as he used to be tho. 

He gets over the top, but doesn’t win the battle really any more. He can’t get off a block or make the tough tackle. His best use is deep spy. If he isn’t diminished further from this most recent injury. 

56 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

That sounds about right. In my nostalgia prone memory the big shift came when teams stopped trying to go big heavy sets to counter the Don Mathew’s als cover 0, and started running 5-6 wide sets with fast screens and such. Suddenly every one started doing that to the als, and then to each other. And just like that the fb/te pro form offence evaporated. 
 We kind of started the ball rolling by running and throwing to both backs (sellers n blink) a lot. And I want to say the riders started going empty back field vs the als to mixed success. Then the als adapted it most effectively for a good while. 
 Course plenty of times in the past heavy west coast influences were popular in the cfl. And I haven’t really checked so it might be a bit off here n there or even more off than I would think. 
 But that era really changed a lot in the cfl. The offence, then how teams defended, and it aligned with a surge in ni talent at wr too. 

I remember giving up something stupid like 11 sacks in a game against that cover zero D. Took awhile for teams to figure that out. Just relentless pressure…

53 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I’m remembering the Stubler Argos starting a lot of the smaller LB trend. Guys like Eiben and Michael Fletcher around 04-07. May have been earlier. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’m remembering the Stubler Argos starting a lot of the smaller LB trend. Guys like Eiben and Michael Fletcher around 04-07. May have been earlier. 

The SAM switched to being an every down DB type guy in the 90's.  First real impactful ones in my memory was a guy named Darryl Hall who played for Calgary under Buono in a couple stints and Don Wilson who played for Edmonton (Stubler D) and Toronto (Matthews in mid-90's).

Bombers basically played a 3-4 until Cal Murphy got fired.  They'd run a dime back in for a linebacker.

First real SAM we had was Mo Kelly with Reinebold.